Odds, ends and Bowles

Posted by Darren Urban on January 7, 2014 – 10:27 am

So it’s gonna be about 70 degrees today. Sunny. Just sayin’. Seems like everyone else is making comments about the weather, so I thought I’d chime in.

Anyway …

– Defensive coordinator Todd Bowles reportedly met with the Browns for their head coaching job on Friday and was supposed to meet with the Vikings about their opening Monday. Neither team seems close to making a decision on their coach, although Bowles reportedly made an impression with the Vikings. Both Minnesota and Cleveland continue to look at more and more candidates, and that doesn’t include coaches still in the playoffs. Bowles won’t be interviewing in Detroit, where he was a candidate back in 2009. That makes sense, because many reports say the Lions would likely hire Chargers offensive coordinator and ex-Cards boss Ken Whisenhunt for that job once the Chargers are knocked out of the playoffs.

On the all-pro team from profootballfocus.com, Tyrann Mathieu makes first team as a slot cornerback, Justin Bethel first team for special teams. Patrick Peterson is second team at cornerback.

– Cardinals director of football administration (and salary cap guru) Mike Disner was named on Forbes list of top 30 rising stars under age 30 in sports. (The man next on the Forbes slideshow after Disner? Kevin Durant. LeBron and Gronk are among the athletes on the list too.)

– I am not a fan of messing with the playoff format. It caught up with the Cardinals this season yes, it benefited them in the 2008 season. I do not think extra teams should be added to the postseason. That said, it is still often discussed. That doesn’t mean anything is imminent, but things could change at some point.

– In case you missed it — and in case you’d like a smile or two — check out here the year in quotes and quips from coach Bruce Arians.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Odds, ends and Bowles”

1. By Chris on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

Has BA any history with Wade Phillips? Would make a gr8 DC in case Bowles really leaves.

2. By Dave C. on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

I sure hope the Cards are doing everything they can to keep Bowles. BA contradicts himself saying he wants to win but also says he wants to see Bowles as a head coach somewhere. Well who should he be replaced with? Someone who shouldn’t be a head coach somewhere? That would mean he wasn’t a very good coordinator. How about keeping the chemistry going on what was one of the best defenses in the league if you are about winning?

3. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

That will be pretty cool if Detroit hires Whiz, since they came in 3rd like we did and we will have a home game against them in 2014.

4. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

I’m not really a fan of messing with the playoff format either, but the one thing about the NFL is that with only 16 games, it is a lot more likely than, say, the NBA or MLB to miss out on the playoffs due to some unlucky breaks or bad calls. Looking back on our season, like many fans I feel the Philly game was stolen from us due to the call on Mathieu when PP intercepted Foles late in the game. Of course you don’t know how that game turns out from there, but we had all the momentum at that point. If we win that game and Feely makes a couple kicks in the SF game (and yes, I realize again that there’s no guarantee SF wouldn’t have scored again either), it could be a totally different season for us.

But the downside of expansion is the potential for another lousy team in the playoffs. Considering in the AFC that would’ve been the 8-8 Steelers, I’m not excited about that.

5. By jasonc on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

Watching the BCS game last night I was impressed with Lamarcus Joyner S, FSU. He reminded me of a poor’s man Tyrann Mathieu with his size and tackling ability…I don’t know if he has the playmaking ability of Tyrann, but in the two games I saw him play this year he made big plays in both (Clemson was the other game). I still feel the same about Greg Robinson: He is the best run blocking tackle I’ve seen in college football in a long time, still unsure how good of a pass blocker he can be, but I don’t think it will matter because he’ll be gone @ 20. Erving looked really good and I would be extremely excited if he somehow found his way to us @ 20.

JTDG-

Question: If you had the pick @ 20 and Beasley/Amaro/Carr/Ogbuehi/Gilbert are the best players on the board who do you pick? Have you seen any of Marcus Smith from Louisville? He was second in the FBS in sacks this year and has a better frame than Beasley.

6. By Steve on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

If the NFL decides to expand the playoffs to four wildcard teams from the current two in each conference, they should reduce preseason to just three games from four. Begin the regular season on what would be the meaningless fourth preseason week of games. The very first playoff weekend after the regular season concludes would only consist of wild card teams playing one another and winners moving on to play after divisional winners. I would rather see a true wildcard weekend than a fourth preseason weekend. Doesn’t make the season any longer, just makes one week of football meaningful.

7. By georgiebird on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

Agree with you. in principle, that the playoff system should not change. HOWEVER, in a more self serving sense, I hope the NFL adds more teams.
    The reason revolves around Tom Coughlin who has won two SBs in the past 7 years. If it wasn’t for his SBs, Coughlin would have been let go two years ago at age 65- and even with the SBs, he just escaped a firing this year for being too old and out of touch.
    BA is 61 years old and a very good HC. The 49ers and Seahawks have very good, young QBs who should be around for a long time.
    More playoff teams give BA a better chance to reach the finish line.

8. By ored on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

all for safety help and TE also,both played big roles last season.it’s good that we’re looking for the diamond in the rough,and i like hearing rumors keim is interested in FA LT,keep coaching up the young guys but get some experience at the position next year.

9. By sbrown on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

the one plan I heard was each Conference would add one more wild card, then only the #1 seed would get a first week bye.
    This year would have the Cards in and playing at Carolina and the Steelers in, playing at New England. If there is some way the NFL can make another dollar, then look for this to happen in the future.

Something to think about from this season, Cards lost three games by 3 points each, our kicker missed two field goals in two of the three losses…

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

What’s the next step in the career ladder for guys in Mike Disner’s position? Salary cap gurus need to be great with numbers and contracts, but that specialized talent wouldn’t seem to equate with the ability to recognize talent on the field (i.e. a GM job). I really have no idea, so enlighten me if you would.

Mike and Steve made for a great team this year, and I hope they remain a team in Arizona for years to come. It will be interesting to see how they handle the roster this year with Fitz’s 2014 salary cap number. – Thanks!

11. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

jasonc

Good Question.

After watching some Fresno St. , I am not a Carr believer. He seems to want to throw off back foot when pressured. He will look real good at combine but he could be a Blaine Gabbert.

Ogbuehi went from guard to RT this year and I like tackles with long arms. With the obvious need at LT, Ogbuehi would have to be considered.

I really like Beasley. Explosive off the snap and can cause havoc on passing downs. I see him at first as only a pass rush specialist but as Mathis has shown, little guys can play 3-4 OLB.

Amaro is one of those Cameron Jordon TEs. If I was GM, I would really have to see if he fit into Arians system. But this guy could be a great read zone threat and do what Housler was suppose to do.

Finally, Gilbert is a shut down CB. He is ultra Athletic. He has size and seems to have speed.

I guess I would have to know how FA panned out first. I think we really need a LT.
    I think with Ocho Abraham and Okafer, we could wait on another OLB. (although I would take Khalil Mack in a heart beat if he fell). I think with Arians offense, a TE needs to block some and will not be the leading receiver so I could pass on Amaro.

So it would come down to Ogbuehi and Gilbert. If I could land a LT in FA, then Gilbert is the guy. If I could not, then I guess I would take with the 20th pick, Ogbuehi.

12. By DORRITO on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

How bout we stop having great D coordinators so we can stop losing them ;) haha. Problems in the NFL.

13. By clssylssy on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

While I understand that the dream of most coaches is to become a HC in the NFL, I would think there would be a lot of other things for these “candidates” to consider aside from the Title, money and recognition of being a Head Coach. I may be a little superficial but some of these places don’t seem all that attractive as places to live in the first place. If you add in dealing with the politics of a flaky franchise, fans who act like a bunch of spoiled whiney children, expectations that you’ll spin hay into gold or get fired, then holding pat if you’re in a good place seems like the intelligent thing to do. Head Coaching jobs come open every year and it would seem to me that both Todd Bowles and Ken Whisenhunt have landed in pretty good places with fans who appreciate them and opportunities ahead to further develop their resumes for when that really good HC position comes up. Sometimes you gotta, “Know when to hold em, and know when to fold em” and unless their are behind the scenes issues making Bowles unhappy in his job I would be surprised if he goes “all in” for any of these other jobs…the west is the best!

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Cap gurus

It all depends on how the FO is structured. Plenty of cap guys have found jobs as GMs. Idzik was the Cards cap guy once upon a time, now he’s a GM with the Jets.

You just have to believe the guy is a good leader, and that he’ll put the right guys around him.

15. By jasonc on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

Awesome analysis, as usual. I agree with you about Carr, and the funny thing about the games I watched him play is he reminds me of Palmer in some ways. When he doesn’t have to contend with pressure he looked great and when the pressure was there he got into trouble. I also hate that his numbers were inflated by the spread offense and the lack of top competition. I didn’t get to see Oklahoma State play at all this season so I’m clueless about Gilbert which is the main reason I asked the question. CB isn’t a perceived “need” position but if we decide to not bring back Cason or Arenas then we are going to need some more depth and if this guy is the best player than I’m all for it. Beasley is the guy that really intrigues me. I know he would be a pass rush specialist, but I’ve read some scouting reports that are just glowing about this guy. He obviously has the quick first step to speed rush but they also talk about his secondary pass rush moves. I watched him play in 2 games this year and against FSU (and Cameron Erving) he was extremely quiet, but in their bowl game agains OSU he flashed a lot. Ogbuehi is another mystery to me…has he even declared for the draft yet? He looks the part of LT in the NFL long and athletic I just haven’t seen enough of him playing to have a real opinion. If we did go defense with the 1st pick I would love for La’el Collins from LSU to fall to us in the 2nd. I don’t know if he can play LT but at 6’5 320 and with experience at G I think he would be an excellent addition to our line.

16. By clssylssy on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

My favorite quote from Coach BA was in response to questions about Carson’s Palmers four interceptions in the Seattle game in which he pointed out that two were really tips but the one he threw deep into the endzone to Fitz was “Carson trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*#”… Now that’s a fun guy anyone would like to have a drink with!

17. By ored on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

2nd the collins pick,steamroller and might be good enough for future lt.like the cb pick,also one of the florida teams has a speed cb who also can returns kicks,and i still like the de drom minnesota to understudy docket.

18. By Dr. G. on Jan 9, 2014 | Reply

Odds/Ends – Bowles just looks confidently cool – we need to keep him perhaps with a little more compensation. Let’s see, you can live in a depressing city with s—-y weather or Arizona… If you have to go, wait for a better choice; it will happen.

More NFL teams? – The skill level is spread too thin already. Wild Cards are free-bees. What if the Div winners were the sole qualifiers? Agreed that qualifiers should have a winning record though, not like Seattle 2010 at 7-9 Div winner! Only winners should make the playoffs. 8-8 should stay home. That’s what they play for. …But, we deserve to whine a little.

The mathematicians wished the Cards in at 9-7, but were warned all season that 10-6 might not be enough. Cards – the only winning NFL team not to make it. A shame. BA quote: “Win at home, steal a few on the road.” That would be 11-5…

Worst Cards memory – 2004 – 49ers had only 2 wins – both were the Cards! Ugh…

Dorritos – just learned make good kindling for a fire…

Be well fellow Cards fans… a good year in 2014!