Taking the time to run (and Buck dances)

Posted by Darren Urban on January 13, 2014 – 11:59 am

It has been a constant subject for the Cardinals (and frankly, many other teams around the league). The effort to run the ball and committing to the run. I’ll preface this by saying I agree with Bruce Arians’ philosophy, which is basically, you need to run well enough to win. Sometimes, that may mean 20 attempts but big yards. Other times, it may mean grinding the ball 40 attempts even if you are only getting 3.5 yards a carry. I do not believe in the “Teams that run it 30-plus times win 70 percent of the games” or whatever the stat is because it isn’t cause and effect. Usually, you can afford to run a ton because you are winning. That doesn’t mean you don’t need to run, but it does mean you are going to run more with a lead.

All that said, the Cardinals — who went 10-6 this season — had 422 rush attempts as a team. (Yes, that includes kneel-downs and it also is some scrambles that were called passes, but let’s not get too deep in the weeds here.) That marked the most rushing attempts by the team in 10 years, since the Cards ran it 475 times in Denny Green’s first season of 2004.

Percentage-wise, it was the third-most rushing attempts over the last decade:

2004 45.4 percent rushes

2006 41.9

2013 40.7

2011 39.1

2009 37.1

2007 35.6

2012 34.6

2010 34.4

2008 34.1

2005 33.5

Arians isn’t going to start shying away from throwing the ball (and I would guess if he can get Carson Palmer and the unit clicking a little more, along with a pass protection upgrade, he might throw it a little more.) The Cardinals got the running attempts this season, though, and averaged (without Palmer’s three yards-on-27 “attempts”) an acceptable 3.9 yards a carry.

– The All-NFL team was announced from the Pro Football Writers Association. Cornerback Patrick Peterson and special teamer Justin Bethel got the nod (and were the only Cards on the all-NFC team as well.)

– Finally, to close, we have this old-school NFL Network promo ad featuring current defensive line coach Brentson Buckner. Just because.

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Taking the time to run (and Buck dances)”

1. By beardinals on Jan 13, 2014 | Reply

The Buckner dance is killing me.

Also, glad to see Bethel getting the pub he deserves. I just hope he can continue to get a few blocks.

2. By Rich on Jan 13, 2014 | Reply

Not sure if draft prognostication is your interest. But, once the first handful of QB’s are off the board, any idea if there are 2nd round QB prospects that the Cardinals may have interest in? Not sure if you’ve heard anything inside.

3. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2014 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Draft QBs

Too early for that right now.

4. By ored on Jan 13, 2014 | Reply

never too early if you miss the post season.just getting up to speed with the passing dominance and what do we get…a good ol dose of grind it out,runnng games,which brings up the question of our ground game,my thoughts are we could use a big punishing back ie:hill from lsu,but he may be gone in the 1st round,still leaves hyde from ohio st.,might still be there in the 2nd,then collins,a tackle from lsu,who could start at rt.guard while he learns tackle at the pro level,massie back at rt.tackle and cooper at lft guard,stepfan backs up hyde,ellington should get andre roberts targets and give williams a chance to prove himself,and signing a free agent lft tackle should bring our offense to the next level,only lacking a developement qb , a burner at wideout,and quality depth at center.

hageman from minnesota in the 1st,like usc safety,clemson qb,and pomeroy,cb from florida,almost a peterson lite,lol,but whoever and when,we should get some good players 1st 3 rounds.

now that we have the defense dialed in,would love to see us mentioned in the breath as 9er o-line and gore and skittles running game,would make life much easier for palmer,who does’nt like marching down the field like a juggernaught,then throwing a strike,snatches the heart from the other team.i would love to be there when keim starts his draft board,how about a fan survey for 1st round anyway?

5. By Chuck 1 on Jan 13, 2014 | Reply

As long as Rich brought up the subject of the draft, I’ll take the opportunity to write about it.
    Some (maybe many) posters have expressed strong opinions about the need to draft RBs, CBs, WRs and a QB.

I think that the top priority is a LT (if a FA isn’t signed).
    BUT, thereafter, a SS is a necessity if the Cards want to stop being burned by the TEs that killed us this season.

We have three good RBs.
    I agree that a CB should be drafted, but not in an early round.
    The Cards have a good WR corp. If one is drafted, do it in a later round.
    And, we have Palmer and Stanton. Take a QB next draft (2015)

After the need for a LT and SS is satisfied (EARLY), then take a pass rusher.

And, then Keim can take a CB, WB and RB.

Also get a better PK. Feeley is too undependable.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 13, 2014 | Reply

Just saw Coach Whiz got the Titans job.

Congrats Ken.

But learn this, if Jake Locker isn’t the guy, do not go through a list of bad QBs. Just brake down and use a high pick on a QB.

7. By Dynosoar on Jan 13, 2014 | Reply

Honestly, I want the Cardinals to win the Super Bowl. So I have no real interest anymore. I would’ve rooted for (halfheartedly) my children’s teams (Bengals, Packers, Vikings and Ravens, my wife doesn’t have a team), but their all out now.

As to rooting for an NFC West team, how can I be against them all season and then root for them because they beat us. No, I can’t. If I do root for a team this year in the Super Bowl, it’ll be the Patriots or Broncos, but I’m not going to root for the teams that kept us from going.

Now, that’s my take and I respect anyone who believes in supporting the Division since we lost, I understand the practice I just can’t do it myself. I still can’t root for any NFC East team (although the Eagles and Redskins actually have moved to my “I have no interest list, the Giants and Cowboys are still on the can’t stand list.)

Anyway, I do think the last three games this season will be real good games to watch. Won’t root NFC and won’t root for either AFC team over the other, but will be enjoying some really good contests out there.

8. By RED C on Jan 14, 2014 | Reply

I feel sorry for the Titans they got a coach who will repeat the same things over and over again after every loss. Whiz is ok when he has a decent qb and right now I just dont see that in Tennessee but better them than us i guess lol. Go Red Birds!!!

9. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 14, 2014 | Reply

Red C,

Like him or hate him, coach Whiz is successful.

He won with the Steelers, he took a ragged, hopeless Cards franchise and got them to the superbowl, then he was with SD, and took a bust of a RB and ran him for 1200 yards, a QB people were righting off, and not only got to the playoffs, won a game.

As Darren pointed out, he made some mistakes. But he is not a bum who got lucky.

10. By ored on Jan 14, 2014 | Reply

not a bum,but i’ll take what we have today.BA seems to take much bigger steps,but part of that is having keim on the same page or at least keeping him ahead of injuries,etc.maybe whiz sees the moves ahead of time with tenn.,can’t just play the now,need to stay ahead,have vision,and a plan and a plan b.

11. By CORMAC on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

HAhahahaha! That video is priceless!! Thanks for making me laugh in the morning before work :O)