• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

A Kickalicious tryout

Posted by Darren Urban on January 15, 2014 – 1:08 pm

Veteran kicker Jay Feely is about to become an unrestricted free agent and after the season, coach Bruce Arians said Feely’s status was “about business” going forward. That could mean different things, based on what else the Cardinals are seeking with a kicker and what Feely would cost (although even a minimum salary for a player in the league as long as Feely starts to get up there.) All along it made sense that the Cardinals would look at other, probably younger, options as they get into the offseason.

So comes news, via a Norwegian site (because sure, I’m trying to read Norwegian now) that the Cardinals will be trying out Havard Rugland — better known to the NFL world as “Kickalicious” after he posted his kicking exploits on youtube and later found his way on to the Detroit Lions roster for the 2013 preseason. He didn’t make the team, but now, the Cards apparently will give him a looksee.

“Jay Feely had a good season, and it’s not really good to know what Arizona thinks,” Rugland told tv2.no (which I then used Google Translate to, you know, translate). “I speculate not so much in it.

“They have not really said much to me what they want, I guess first and foremost, they pick me over to map and to find out what I’m good for.”

UPDATE TWEET:

Rugland admits in the article he doesn’t want to talk much about it because he doesn’t want to have to compete with other kickers for a job, but the Cardinals are bringing in at least one other kicker than Rugland for tryouts (no, I don’t have names). The tryouts are always ongoing under the Steve Keim regime. That’s not new, and many have come through without signing, so we’ll see if this translates into actual kickers being put on the roster. Rugland, who had never played organized football before his preseason stint with Detroit, made all three field goal attempts for the Lions, including one of 50 yards.

It’d certainly be an interesting story if he joined the Cards.

Tags: ,

28 Responses to “A Kickalicious tryout”

1. By beardinals on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

Hilarious, but it seems like he would need more experience. I’d be interested to see if he’s been working with a kicking coach or just sitting around drinking Nøgne ø waiting for a phone call.

2. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

I would be more interested in seeing him kick the 60 to 30+ yard FG’s in each game, consistently and If he can do that then Why is he still not signed with an NFL a team?

Wait, he was with the Lions, well that could answer a lot of questions, as to Why.

Wonder what BA and the rest of the Teachers can do to help this young man?

One thing I would Bet on. If Havard Rugland steps on the field as the Cardinals new kicker in 2014 he will have Earned the job and will do as good or better than Jay Feely or anyone else that is out there.

GO CARDS!!!

3. By Pete Dowdle on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

Rugland appears to have an exceptional ability, a lot of talent kicking towards field goals. I don’t doubt his ability to put a football through for three from great distances and a variety of angles. But, I don’t know how he would perform elsewhere on the field, and whether his apparent single-dimensional performance as a kicker of field goals is worth the risk of signing someone who admittedly has no background as a football player.

Can he handle kick offs? Can he kick it deep through the back of the end zone? Can he modify his kicks to drop it near the goal line? Can he try to pin the returner inside the 20 with a high and time-consuming kick? Can he tackle? Can he help the coverage team after his kickoffs? Can he help tackle and cover if/when he misses a long attempt at a field goal and the other team’s opting to return it? Is he worth signing just as a FG kicker?

Kickers have historically been treated as “soft” or somehow lesser to the rest of a team’s players. But when you think about the work and skills that goes into being a kicker, much less a good kicker, it becomes apparent just how invaluable a good kicker really is.

I’m sure the Card’s will assess Rugland as much as they will need to before allowing him to have any viable opportunity, and I’m sure their ultimate decision will be a good one, based on more information than I will ever know to process. But for all the hype and excitement this guy brings to us via YouTube, I just don’t see enough right now to warrant it…

4. By drindt on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I know it’s a longshot, but if the Cards sign this guy maybe you can pull some strings and push for cranking that song into the stadium prior to or after his kicks??? Just thought I’d put it out there…

5. By Hakkaspetten on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

Hope we see you in cardinal red soon, Rugland!

6. By mal on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

When the Cards brought in competition for Feely last pre-season, a few of us fans posted on here asking for them to try out Kickalicious. He had just gotten cut in Detroit despite having a good pre-season there.

Feely has been reliable with field goals, but his kickoffs are almost always short. It would be great to have a kicker who was good at both.

I would love it if Rugland could make our team. Of course he’ll only get a spot if he earns it, but it would instantly gain national attention, and a lot of kids around the country would become Cards fans, cuz Rugland already has his own fan base.

7. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

This is interesting;

I just heard on the radio that according to pro football focus (or whoever that group is Darren always quotes from ) has rated the Arizona cardinals offensive line as a whole 32nd in the NFL. ( I have not verified and am basing this on the guys on the radio)

Yes. PFF rated the cards worse in 2012 and we all knew it. But would you have guessed that in 2013 they were the worse line?

Lets see, if 2012 and 2013, both groups are 32nd, then coaching didnt help. We had the same WRs in 2012 as 2013, so what changed? Why did it FEEL like our line improved when in reality, it did not.

Well, our backs did a good job picking up blitzes, but that really isn’t the reason. The reason they felt better was the QB. I have been saying this for years. A good QB makes a bad line look good.

This is the same type of line that Kolb, Lindley, Anderson, and Skelton were killed behind. Palmer? not killed . In fact, he threw for 4000 yards and 24 TDs.

So Easy E and other Palmer haters, when you think Palmer needs to be replaced, keep in mind that he played behind the 32nd rated offensive line and did what he did.

8. By Craig on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

I bet this kid would be exceptional for onside kicks.

9. By Credit Card on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

Appears his kicking technique is different than other place kickers. Most kickers have a long swing on their leg, much like a golf club swing, only using his leg.

Rugland has a short, quick powerful strike at the ball. I wonder if his kicks get enough immediate height? Who knows, just like 30-yrs ago everyone questioned “soccer styled” kickers. M/b his style is the next generation of kickers. Hard to argue about how fast the ball leaves his foot.

10. By Cactus jeff on Jan 15, 2014 | Reply

Biggest need on defense, safety. Cards need to change their predictive models in how they rate safeties. They need a different type of player. Players with larger tackling windows, would naturally help in covering TEs too. Overhaul the whole position, move honey badger to DB/cover the slot in the nickel. Keep playing 4-3 with CC and DD dominating and next year the defense should be the best in the league

11. By Eazy E on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

Why are we trying to replace Feely so bad lately? He is only one of the few elite kickers the NFL has. #Dontgetit

12. By johnnybluenose on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

Feely strikes me as a football player who specializes in kicking. He has had a solid career and I will feel badly for him when his time in Arizona is up, whenever that may be. Arians has made it pretty clear that there will be roster changes and he will certainly be looking at other kickers. Maybe Feely will turn to coaching when his playing days are over.

13. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

Lol. Sign ‘im up (and include lessons for me son;) This guy is Tiger Woods wit ‘is feet. Great vid. Never seen anything like it, pooch kicker.

14. By D on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

The NFL should hire this kicker for the Superbowl halftime show…would be better than the usual lame lip synching want to be muscians they parade out there….

If you Cards resign M. Benard who had a decent year at OLB…this team would be very deep if all healthy next year at the OLB spot.
    Benard
    Abraham
    Acho
    Alexander
    Okafor
    Moch
    plus have a few guys on ps or future contracts…

15. By Dynosoar on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

OK. That last kick was most impressive. He has a rugby/soccer/football style. Entertaining and without any pressure, effective. I’d love to see him on the field, may have to see if I can find footage of him with Detroit.

I’m a Feely fan, especially after he outscored the rest of our team and another and if I remember correctly, had more points than the rest combined, but if we find someone better, I’d support it. I’m a fan of many players, but always and forever…

I’m a Cardinals fan first and through and through.

I have recently recognized, it doesn’t matter who’s playing of all my favorite teams, if my Cardinals are playing, I won’t watch any other game. They’re not only my favorite football team, the Cardinals are my favorite team.

My blood bleeds Cardinals red.

16. By Dr. G. on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

Good receiver, huh? We might bulk him up and use him on punt returns….

havard rugland – I think we got one of these at IKEA… goes good with our badkamer & wastafelkasten…

17. By Tucsontim on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

Imagine the onside kick possibilities

18. By Dr. G. on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

I remember all this type commentary when Pro Bowler Neil Rackers left the team. The fans really liked him. And that little Jack-in-the-Box Gramatica Dramatica… well those of you who watched him try to double high-five every player on the field after an extra point in the 1st quarter….well… you remember… blew out an ACL in a celebration! Some need to go… and some deserve the respect of their records…

Feely –

His return average is about the same since he came to the Cards @ 24.5%… Moving the tee to the 35 may have helped a little, but he is still solid. When a kick is missed as in the 49er game, it is earth shattering. But I don’t think nerves are a problem for him…. Stats – Inside the 50, he is 87%…. Outside the 50, = 50%…

Rugland surely used up his paycheck on footballs and made 1000′s of tries to create this entertaining video… Perhaps a look at the kicker position is in order, but this is not the guy… He probably cannot perform without his sidekick or a having a bridge or railroad tracks as a background…. He must have a good sense of humor…

Bottom line – Arians creates better performance when they know there is someone eagerly waiting who wants to give their job a try….

19. By Big Ken on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy- Well said John. I think Carson is a guy who really wants that super bowl ring. He’s really committed to the cause. I hope Larry Fitz gets that feeling when he is asked to renegotiate his deal. Time will tell and soon.

20. By joe67 on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

Don’t know anything about this kicker, but if he is so good why has no one signed him?? Just askin’

21. By ored on Jan 16, 2014 | Reply

question is,can he do it game day and how does he handle a miss?could certainly be a fan favorite and real entertaining to watch practice.let him have a shot,maybe he learned what he needed from the detroit tryout,if he helps the team and is a personanlity and entertaining also,Y KNOT?

22. By Viktor on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

Can he kick under pressure? It is one thing kicking a ball through the posts on an empty field at your own leisure. Can he do it in games consistently, especially when the outcome of the game lies on his shoulders?

23. By Cody Zarr on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

I’ve confirmed on profootballfocus.com that we are indeed last place in line rankings. In fact, only ONE player on the entire offensive line finished the season with a positive grade. Lyle Sendlein finished with a +.5 which is barely in the green. It’s really sad, but the real drag on the line’s score was Sowell. He finished with a -38.4. This is the 2nd lowest score they’ve recorded in the entire 5 years they’ve been tracking these stats. Both he and Winston did very poorly according to PFF.

24. By Gary on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Sign the guy quickly before someone else does. The guy is making 60 yarders look easy.

25. By mike on Jan 19, 2014 | Reply

Can you imagine the offside kicks? straight up 50 feet and 10 yards deep.

26. By Big Ken on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Yeah and uh good bye Jay.

27. By Jim bob on Feb 10, 2014 | Reply

Kickalicious is Lions property. he is going to be kicking 60 yard field goals like it is nothing

2. Jan 29, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Cards sign kicker – but not “Kickalicious”