Bruce Arians, one year later

Posted by Darren Urban on January 17, 2014 – 9:32 am

A year ago today, Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians sat at a press conference with the Arizona media, like Bengals OC Jay Gruden and Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell had done in the days before, talking about his interview with the Cardinals, how it went well, and how he thought he was ready to become a head coach. Later that evening, Arians — unlike Gruden, Bevell and a handful of other candidates to replace Ken Whisenhunt — signed up to be the Cards’ next head coach.

It’s been quite the year. “It’s going to be a great team,” Arians said a short time after taking the job. “Team is what it takes.” Arians never wavered in that belief, pushing it on the players. “Coach ‘em hard and hug ‘em later” was the motto taught to Arians by legendary Alabama coach Bear Bryant (for whom Arians coached the last two years of Bryant’s career) and that remains his philosophy. Arians could shred a player on the field during practice and laugh with that same player moments later when practice was over. He was intense, admittedly emotional, yet had fun not only with his team but talking about his team. Most importantly, he said from the start his team would compete with NFC West powers Seattle and San Francisco, and he was right.

“There is no question Bruce has a unique skill,” General Manager Steve Keim said. “I haven’t been around many coaches during my time in this business that have the ability to drive players to almost a breaking point and yet at the end of the day these guys love him and want to play for him. I think these players respect him, respect the coaches that he has hired, and know that he is just trying to put them in position to succeed.”

Arians had 10 wins in his first year as Cardinals coach. Only Norm Barry, who had 11 back in 1925 when the NFL wasn’t quite the NFL yet, had more in his rookie season coaching the Cards. The day of Arians’ official he’s-now-the-Cards-coach press conference, Keim said he and team president Michael Bidwill liked Arians’ personality and energy. It permeated the building from the moment Arians arrived. A year in, it was exactly what the Cardinals needed.

Tags: , ,

43 Responses to “Bruce Arians, one year later”

1. By Craig on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

I really hope Arians and Keim are here for the long haul.

GO CARDINALS

2. By 'Zona Fan on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

Can’t wait for 2014. Makes me sick reading all this crap about the overrated Seahawks and 49ers this week. We can take down both of those teams and their ‘fake-tough’ attitudes. Seattle can’t win without PEDs and SF’s sportsmanship is worse than a pre-school soccer team. Screw them both. I root for one team, and one team ONLY. Go Cardinals!!

3. By 'Zona Fan on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

Oh yeah, and who gives a flip about Anquan Boldin!? That punk needs to keep his mouth shut and play ball, especially considering his time is running out in this league. Dude drop the thug life attitude and just play! And for those who claim we should root for ‘ex-Cardinals’ – Q doesn’t care about AZ anymore, why the heck should we root for him?? He said when we played with the Raven’s “if it doesn’t concern the Purple and Black, then I don’t really care.” Well, if it doesn’t concern the Bird Gang, then I don’t give a flip either! Go Cards!!

4. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

Just thinking back to this intro for Arians and how he was looking to free agency and the draft along with players who will stay and those who will go, eg. (Kolb).

Arians/Keim are not going to be sucked in by media hype like that of Manziel since he announced for the draft. Will he be the next Tim Tebow, but with the Jersey Shore mentality? I can’t believe he is a projected 1st rounder with all he lacks in required NFL skills like size, leadership, brains and common sense for a QB. His individual playground skills do not translate well to the NFL. Arians knows that there are a number of players coming out who fit this category…just hype from agents etc…

I will eat my sombrero if Keim and Arians don’t look to a QB in this draft to hopefully groom for long term success. There’s no rush for the new guy if Palmer improves a little for maybe 1 or 2 years…. half the interceptions and a few more TD’s… I can’t wait to see what the draft and FA look like for us this year… Thinking OT too.

How cool would it be if we could play the BIG GAME at home? I’ll be there…

5. By Hammy on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

I think this offseason is probably more crucial than last. Depending on the type of moves we make in free agency and the type of players we draft. We could be setting ourselves up pretty nicely for 2014-2015. I am very excited and proud to be a Cardinals fan. After years and years of below mediocrity and being the laughing stock of the NFL. We are finally getting the respect that any franchise deserves.

Keeping All our impact veterans will keep us relevant. I know it will be hard but its not impossible. Keim keeps saying that “We are gonna have to make some tough decisions this offseason” I just wonder what those decisions are? Have we seen the last of Larry Fitzgerald in a Cardinals uniform?

6. By erik on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

Hell yeah ‘Zona! My friends get mad at me cause the minute the Cards are done playing, I stop watching. I have an irrational hatred for all other teams, especially the two playing for the NFC this weekend. I don’t get the cheering for ex players, either. I won’t even wear my A-Dub jersey again until after he retires!

Good to know I’m not the only crazy one, LOL!

7. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

In his defense, Wilson was not given a new deal… Boldin left for bigger $$$$ and now shows disdain for the team that made him.

I’m guessing there will be some surprises, but looming in the background now is the notion that good free agents will want to come to the Valley to play esp. after the Cards went into Seattle’s home and moved all their furniture around. That was not lucky – it was a simple ass whippin’…

Success breeds success… if you build it, they will come…. oh yeah!

8. By shannon robinson on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

As a Division I College Rugby Coach I can say I truly admire Coach Arians – I wish I had the fire or moxey he brings every day. I do find myself saying things to my team occasionally like “No Risk It, No Biscuit.” He’s a great coach! Here we go again for another year – Go Cards! Go BA!

9. By ored on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

re:free agency,i think we cut high priced lineman,draft a rt.guard and this may be dockets time also if we get a good defensive guy in the draft,and not sure we can accomodate los if he wants a payday at his age,mendenhall will probably be replaced by stepfan and a draft choice roberts also…that’s a shame with all the work he got with fitz,now he’ll probably blow up somewhere else.

i also agree we start the process of drafting and grooming a qb,if so then stanton will be trade bait.not sure what they intend for williams,was odd they kept him last year and never used him.

one position i think we adress in free agency is lft.tackle and also draft someone,there is a real possibility we could get a top 4 tackle to learn for a year or two.safety we may be able to coach up or draft a cb and switch someone to safety and it just seems time to try something new at TE,we’ve gone nowhere there for years.

so if we sign LT free agent,need to draft one that can play rt.guard while he learns or draft a guard also or a guard that can learn the tackle position.if we let docket go,we need to draft a defensive lineman,if los goes we already have someone for his spot.keep those that played well and we can afford and count on the draft,we should get really good players the first three rounds,then depth to coach up.

it’s looking like first two rounds will go to offense and defensive line,then safety unless the value is elsewhere,maybe qb,db,and rb,probably leaves us once again trying to grow a TE and relying on the speed recievers we have.

10. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

Bad Ass all the way. Love gim.

11. By georgiebird on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

The only problem with BA is that he started out 10-6- that’s a hard act to follow.
    I wish him all the luck in the future-he should be COY in 2013.
    To go 10-6 again in 2014 would be a great achievement.

12. By Eazy E on Jan 17, 2014 | Reply

He had a much better than expected year of 10-6. Now it gets harder because the worst team in the division gets the easiest schedule. Now we get a harder schedule and we’ll see who we acquire via free agency and draft and who we keep and let go in free agency.

13. By Donovan on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

I agree don’t root for explayers that bad mouth the team that drafted them. I put a-dub jersey in my closet until he is in cards ring of honor which he should be, Other players jerseys that left the team I sent to good-will. I used to loe boldin tell he said for fitz to go to san fran, he ought to know cards fans wouldn’t be please, he lost me as a fan at that point. I as well stop watching if cards don’t make it except for last few years cuz I’m studying the game and players. But there years NFC champ game I just can’t barr to watch. Ethier way I rooting for both rivials to fail and not take home Lombardy.
    I must say losing Fitz will only put us in the situation of when we lost boldin and then instead of fitz being doubled and not producing it’ll be Floyd, offense can’t lose any key cogs. I think Winston actually did good at RT and I’d like to see him back, If we can get chiefs albert for LT that would be nice to keep Winston too because they have played with each other and have chemistry already though on opposite sides of line. I also think maybe drafting a o-line player would be smart even if to groom. College is good but I’m sure if he doesn’t wanna adjust his salary he can be replaced and needs to be for cap room. Dockett might be a victim to cap too regrettably. So if he gets traded or let go we need to draft a d-line man, I agree. But I think we need to bring back carlos he played too good not too plus he has passion to win. Matt shaunessy should be resigned as well. Roberts made great plays which will help his chances on a bigger contract but I would mind he coming back, he a big reason why Floyd made it on that 91 yard catch with that block on 2 defenders on end of play to which I think if didn’t happen Floyd would have been stopped just short. I’m looking forward to next season can’t wait already. “where is my time machine” Anyhow Cason won’t be back most likely cuz that 2 pick game increased his stock too and teams are always looking for upgrades at Db on the regular. I don’t think drafting a rb is needed. I’m wondering too how is Ryan swope who retired counting as dead weight on cap when he never played a game for us!!! that’s just bogus!!!! We do need upgrade at TE housler is ok but not what most though he’d be, plus we have him for another year anyhow. Ballard though I would love to see be brought back. The rest I’m not concerned about I know who is staying who not, I just don’t know which free agents will be, but have an idea which ones the GM and head coach are leaning on, its obvious!!!! They are they ones making plays. I agree on giving ellington more time at Rb but he can not hold up if used as a clock burner, that’s why mendinhall was here and not benched for ellington, every team needs a back who is built to take hits and be the clock burner. Can Taylor??? I also agree if the staff see a qb to groom they will. I think though we gonna draft a olb for sure though, and perhaps a safety, I think we ok at db and can get another stop gap there and be ok!….but if the talent is there why not draft! Coach made it clear we need to get tuffer on the lines, so expect that and TE upgrade as BA like to use 2-3 TE sets! GO cards 2014….Next SB is in our house, Team is what it takes, and WE too have a 12th man!!!!!!! WHOOO RAAAWWW!!!!! BOOO YAAAAA!!!!

14. By Donovan on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Albert, Cooper, Lyle, Fanika or draftee, Winston sounds like a good o-line to me!!!
    Bobby and Earl Tackle and Guard depth , thinking though we need center depth or another multi plug!! but 9, 0-line is ok to me!! plus 3 to 4 Te! should be set there….man I’m so excited, next year baby next year!!!!

15. By Donovan on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

can’t believe I forgot Sowell, my bad homie..u played great, but if we bring Albert u can beef up, study, and learn from a good LT…

16. By Donovan on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

say we drop two but pick up two de docket for bills ss byrd (costly) and g colledge for cheifs lt albert (costly) doesn’t help cap but I think can improve team. any thoughts??? Anyone???

17. By Rich on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Hoping Arians stays here for a while.

Darren, I haven’t read or heard any criticism of our special teams coach. Seems like kick coverage hasn’t been up to snuff. Also seems like return blocking schemes haven’t been productive. We don’t adjust to how other teams plan around PP. etc. Any “rumblings” about changes to the special teams coaching approach?

18. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Rich –

RE: Amos Jones

I don’t anticipate any coaching staff changes at this point.

19. By jasonc on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Donovan-

I see free agency going one of two ways.

1. We focus on signing our key free agents. most importantly Dansby and Shaunessy and shift our o line needs to the draft.

2. We attempt to bring in a free agent LT which most likely will put us out of the fiscal realm of signing Dansby and focus on defense in the draft.

With our probability of extending PP this offseason I just don’t see how we will be able to sign Dansby, a free agent LT and extend PP while still filling out the roster.

20. By Dynosoar on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Erik,

Always enjoy reading your thoughts. I’m with you as far as rooting for other teams (although I understand the other side, it just doesn’t work for me.)

As to the A-Dub jersey, I think you should wear it and wear it proudly. I have an out of the box way of seeing this and this is it…

He wanted to retire a Cardinals player, unlike Q and Dansby and others who left on there own (even though Dansby has returned, he did leave on his own), Wilson did not leave on his own and he even went so far as to get injured so he couldn’t play for any other team. (Some may debate the last statement, haha.)

I say wear Wilson’s jersey with pride, he’d still be here if it was up to him. But I’m with you, I won’t root for Q or other teams in our division, but I’ll watch the 3 games here on out because I do believe we’ll have some really good games to watch…

I just won’t be rooting for any of them (although I may be an AFC fan in the Super Bowl, but that’s more that I’m an anti fan of the NFC team making it that beat us one too many times and kept us from the payoffs. Should be a good game with an AFC read the defense QB vs. an NFC young run & gun QB.)

I hope my thoughts help, because as a Cardinals fan I think you ought to be wearing A-Dub’s jersey and support a Cardinals player for life, even if he was traded away despite his desires. I’m with ya and support you. Go Cardinals!

21. By jasonc on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

So a few blogs back I posted a mock draft…but with the underclassmen deadline passing I thought I’d do an update, so I can update it again after the senior all star bowl games. I tried to use several different big boards just to keep it fair, however this early in the season player rankings are just too sporadic so I’m using CBSsports rankings to make my picks and I’m only allowing myself to go up 5 spots (I can go down however I see fit) so I’m not over drafting our draft position.

Round 1: Calvin Pryor S/David Yankey G/Justin Gilbert CB

Kouandijo is in the 5 spot limit but, I just don’t like watching his video, he looks the part of elite LT in still photos just not on video. I do like Lewan and if he were to fall to 20 or close enough to 20 to make a trade up I would seriously consider it. Calvin Pryor is exciting to watch on tape (like, the opposite of watching Kouandijo) he flies to the ball, has play making skills and just looks violent….you know, what you’d like your safety to look like. I think he’s a better player than Clinton-Dix I just hope no one else drafting a safety before us does. David Yankey will most likely be the best offensive lineman available when we draft and one scout said of him ‘he is as technically sound as Decastro, but he plays meaner’…I’m in. Another fun fact about Yankey he played LT as a sophomore for the departing Jonathan Martin and was an All American, after he moved back inside for highly recruited LT Andrus Peat his junior year he was named All American at G. Justin Gilbert is what I would call a luxury pick….we don’t REALLY need a CB but I just get giddy thinking about him lined up across from PP.

Calvin Pryor S Louisville

Round 2: Antonio Richardson T/Marcus Smith OLB/Troy Niklas TE

I feel like I’m cheating here because I don’t think Antonio Richardson will be available at our pick and he barely makes the 5 spot limit, but if he is I draft him. As of right now cbssports has Marcus Smith as the 71th rated player which at 52 we would severely be reaching, however I think that after the senior bowl and combine he is going to climb. He was 2nd in the FBS in sacks last year and he has the size to play the leo in our defense. Troy Niklas is a guy I started watching while looking at video of Zack Martin (who we SHOULD NOT draft in the 1st round) and he is this mammoth TE who just looks really fluid and seems to catch the ball well.

Antonio Richardson T Tennessee

Round 3: Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB/Gabe Jackson G/Kareem Martin DE

Stanley Jean-Baptiste is a 6’2 220 corner who is projected to run in the 4.5 range at the combine. He would be an interesting weapon to use against the new breed of elite receiving TE’s in todays NFL. Gabe Jackson is a guy I haven’t watched video on and I don’t think we would go back to back oline but he is a huge guard and he is in our pick range. Kareem Martin doesn’t appear to that an elite first step but he was highly productive at UNC with 21.5 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks, plus you can never have enough pass rushers.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB

Round 4: Chris Watt G/Robert Herron WR/Jordan Tripp LB

Chris Watt is another guy I was made aware of by watching Zack Martin. He isn’t exciting but we will want to continue to build our o line through the draft. Robert Herron is exciting…and fast. Jordan Tripp is an athletic LB from a small school…I’m interested to see him in the Shrine game today to see how he competes against better competition.

Robert Herron WR Wyoming

Round 5: Brandon Thomas G/Justin Britt T/James Wilder Jr RB

Alright it’s getting down to the boring rounds. I think we would look to bolster on offensive line or add depth to our running backs. James Wilder Jr has excellent size and speed and seems to do everything well….he just doesn’t seem to excel at any one thing. The good news is that he was part of a three player running back by committee so he doesn’t have a lot of mileage. It’s a mock and developmental lineman are boring, plus we already cheated and drafted Tiny in round 2, lets get the skill player.

James Wilder Jr RB FSU

Round 6: Logan Thomas QB/Jeff Mathews QB

I know JTDG isn’t a fan and might not agree with me but I believe that Logan Thomas has to potential to be a star in BA’s offense and this season is kind of a perfect storm for us to get him. He hasn’t been able to improve from his impressive sophomore season 2 years ago for a multitude of reasons, but I believe the biggest reason is a lack of talent on Va Tech’s roster, which means he will be available in the later rounds. Lets look at the positives: He is 6’6 260 and runs the 40 in 4.6…athletically he is a beast, and I’ve watched the video on him his throwing motion isn’t the problem. He has a high release point, there isn’t a hitch in his motion, his release is quick and his arm strength is probably the best in the draft. Now the negatives: His footwork is sloppy (and that’s being nice) which causes his accuracy to be all over the place leading to his poor completion percentage (that and his WR’s dropping all sorts of passes). He tends to make poor decisions which is either because he isn’t reading the coverages or he sees the coverage and is pressing to make the play….either way it leads to INT’s. I know what you’re thinking…why would we take a guy like this and the answer is because we have Palmer. What better time to get an elite athletic QB with all of the attributes that BA covets but may need time to work on his footwork and football IQ. Jeff Mathews is the only other QB I see us taking a look at because again of his size and are, I haven’t seen him play but he has received some good reports for the shrine game practice notes and I’m excited to watch him play today.

Logan Thomas QB Va Tech

22. By Dre on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

I would love to see the Cards draft Jace Amaro, TE from Texas Tech. Rob Housler is to inconsistent and Palmer seems to have lost confidence in him.

Amaro would take our passing game to the next level immediately. With Andre EIlington in the slot, Amaro in the middle, Fitz and Floyd on the sides and our pass attack would be unstoppable. Pick your poison….

Maybe Housler should be given a chance to make the team next year but I think with our cap issues maybe its time to say goodbye to our 2011 third round pick…one pick before TWO TIME PRO BOWLER Justin Houston, OLB from KC.

BAa is a master mind, genius type of coach and perfectly compliments Steve Keim’s great mind.

I loved the decision to use Andre Ellington as a WR especially in the slot. With Andre Roberts set to be a free agent this year, its not a dire situation to bring him back or find a cheaper replacement because he has already satisfied the need with Fitz knowing the slot and Ellington learning the slot.

Another reason why I think Jace Amaro is our guy in the first, he too, was used a lot in the slot in college. So, we get better at the position and may be able to save cap space for a FA left tackle.

23. By Brian on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Eazy E -

I agree it will be harder but our schedule is favorable I think since we were a 10-6 team that finished 3rd in our division so we get all other 3rd place teams in the NFC. I think the bigger challenge will be that we won’t be able to sneak up on teams anymore. After this season they know we will bring it week in and week out. The future is bright in AZ with BA and Co. Can’t wait for next season!!!

24. By Andy Kw on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Wow, Ken Whisenhunt seems to be making the Tennessee Titans into the Arizona Cardinals of old. I would expect with the combination of Whisenhunt and Ray Horton that OL Coach Russ Grimm, DB Coach Louie Cioffi, and OC Mike Miller to be hired as well. Wow, lets see if success will be with the Titans.

25. By Chuck 1 on Jan 18, 2014 | Reply

Needs:

#1: LT
    #2: SS, who is big and fast (can leap tall and fast TEs in a single bound)!!! :)
    #3: Pass Rusher
    #4: TE
    ……………

26. By Derek DeVore on Jan 19, 2014 | Reply

I cannot be more pleased to come out of this last season 10 Wins!!! I have to compliment the Cardinals front office. You got it right. Coach was fantastic. I will be so fired up for next year! I have been a fan since Cards hit the Valley in ’88′.
    So have i seen some lousy moves?? Yes, but since the Stadium it has been different. We are all proud of you Coach “A”. Hope you get coach of the year!!!

2014 GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Derek

27. By jasonc on Jan 19, 2014 | Reply

I understand why people have brought up Jace Amaro as a possible 1st round pick for us, he has great size and college production receiving, but I question if anyone has ever thought if he’d be a good fit for us. It is common place for people to mistake that because BA uses multiple TE’s, that the TE is a featured weapon in his offense….but, that just isn’t true. Go back an look at all of the teams he was OC for and the receiving stats just don’t support such a claim. In our offense the TE is used a receiver just as often as a blocker so it’s important for us to find a TE that can excel at both and Jace Amaro was used exclusively in a spread offense at Texas Tech. He is essentially a HUGE WR and we already have two of those, three is you count Housler. I think if we’re going to draft a TE people should get familiar with Troy Niklas Norte and CJ Fiedorowicz Iowa these guys have played as inline blockers and split out which is the skill set required in our offense. I’m not saying that Amaro couldn’t learn these skills, but if the TE isn’t the weapon that people misconceive it is in BA’s offense why would we spend a first round pick on another Housler? Just my thoughts on it.

28. By Chuck 1 on Jan 19, 2014 | Reply

Why in the world would Keim EVER select a TE in the first round when there are several other needs e.g. LT, SS and pass rusher?

29. By ored on Jan 19, 2014 | Reply

agree with the way TE are used,ba places a lot of importance on blocking assignments…for everybody,but especially the bigger bodies,they can almost be like an extra guard or tackle,and watching the running games of the past few games,they play an important part.but the offensive line is a big time concern,once that is taken care of,we won’t be chipping and holding a reciever back as much…hard to be getting the most from your passing game when somebody has to stay home to help all the time.

now that whiz has a second chance,wonder if he gives the o-line the importance it deserves,guess we’ll know when FA and the draft gets here.i know we can’t just put all our emphasis on the o-line,but the defense is solid for the time being and the entire offense starts with the line,it makes the rb’s,qb,and recievers better and cuts down on injuries to skill positions.

30. By Dr. G. on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

jasonc – Lots of cut-n-paste there…a link could do… I’d be interested to know which site you got this from. …And one glaring thing – Cards need to get a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round… probably an OT in the 1st if not in FA… We already have two QB’s of the type you describe. Be well…

31. By jasonc on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Dr G-

I wrote it, soooo….there isn’t a link. I used the cbssports.com player rankings in order to make the selections which I described in the first paragraph. Because I used that site’s draft board I was limited in who I could select in each round.

As to your criticism of my selections: I don’t think you go into any one round of the draft and say we NEED to draft a OT or a QB THIS round. It is my belief that you have needs you want to fill and that you make each selection of the players that are available with the draft grades you have given them. In my mock I explained that I would love for Taylor Lewan to drop to us and if he did I would get him, but he is rated as the 12th best prospect on cbssports.com and there are a lot of teams that need tackle. I also explained that after watching Kouandijo that I didn’t like him, I’m not going to take a LT just because we want to improve that position and there is one available,. That is how we ended up with Levi Brown.

I would be all for drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round (even the 1st) if there was on I liked available. Zach Mettengerger is the only one I would consider, but he is coming off of an injury and he only had one season of good production plus I hate his hair. Garoppolo, Fales and McCarron were the only other choices and until the Shrine game where Garoppolo looked really sharp I wouldn’t have considered any of them for a multitude of reason-small schools, lack of elite arm strength, game manager. If they draft a guy here I’m cool with it because that means that Keim and BA believe in his ability.

Finally, what 2 QB’s do we have on our roster that are 6’6 260 run 4.6? I know that JTDG doesn’t see a QB when he looked at Thomas (although I’m still waiting for him to tell me which games he watched) but if you’re going to take a QB to groom why wouldn’t you take the guy with the highest ceiling? You can’t coach somebody to have his size and athleticism….you can coach footwork and decision making.

32. By jasonc on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

After watching the first Senior Bowl North practice on NFL Network today I’m feeling a little vindicated. Daniel Jeremiah said he was impressed with Logan Thomas’s footwork and said he was the most impressive player of the 1st practice and Charles Davis said that if you’re going to miss on a QB it’s better to miss on a big QB. Also Herron made a couple of catches with good moves to get open. Can’t wait for Tuesday and Wednesday practices.

33. By jasonc on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

*Logan Thomas’s accuracy not footwork.

34. By jasonc on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

And it begins….my mock will probably be shifted post Senior Bowl game if Logan Thomas continues to look good. Maybe he’ll be that 2/3 round guy you were looking for Dr. G.

35. By All day on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

I think arizona should be looking at free agency for an o-lineman. I don’t like the players that are gonna be there, Albert would be a great sign but would take up a lot of cap space. Dannsby deserves to be resigned. I would also like to see them get a good SS like Byrd or a new corner to add with P2

36. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

jasonc,

Missed out on this thread till just now. My daughter is a softball player and met with some colleges in Oregon, so I haven’t seen the site for a little while. In fact, I missed both playoff games this weekend. I would watch my daughter hit over the hawks and niners anytime.

But just a quick hit in there. Funny, you said Thomas has poor accuracy and makes poor decisions. I find those are things that are carried into the pros. Logan will look the part as you get closer and closer to the draft, but remember what you saw, poor decisions and poor accuracy and trust what you saw in the games regardless what you see from now till the draft.

I, like the Vikings, did the same thing with Ponder. We saw good things and wrote his bad decisions off due to his injuries or poor players around him. The Vikes took him 12th because of all the stuff they saw as a underclassman and at his workouts and dismissed what they saw his last year.

Meanwhile, the seahawks did the opposite. They dismissed all the negative stuff about Wilson’s height, ect and looked at the tape and believed what they saw.

Thomas is the guy you saw on tape. A guy loaded with talent who makes poor decisions and isn’t accurate enough. Believe what you see.

37. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

BTW, I dont think it is a stretch the cards take David Yankey. He is a top 20 player and the cards might stay true to the board.

Why reach for a Tackle when you could solidify the inside with a RG ?

Of course, I would rather find a tackle and take a guy like Gabe Jackson in round 3, who I liked last year before he said he wasn’t coming out. More of a classic RG mauler.

Bottom line, this OLine has been rated 32nd two straight years. Cooper will help, but it has to be addressed again.

38. By jasonc on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

Good to have you back and I hope that your daughters visit went well.

First off, just curious, but did you read my responses about Thomas on the “Whisenhunt gets second chance” comment thread? If not take a look if you have the time. I think you need to go back and look at more video of him, there is a link on one of the comments on the other thread if you’re interested. As far as Ponder he was over drafted, forced into the starting lineup too soon by a defensive head coach and had below average arm strength to begin with. With all of that said he still has a career completion percentage over 60% and a 38-34 TD/INT ratio. If he had a bigger arm I think he might still have that job and Minnesota wouldn’t be looking to draft another QB this year. Logan Thomas has elite athleticism, a live arm, doesn’t have to start for 2-3 years, has an offensive head coach not to mention Tom Moore…not the same situation. I don’t know what video you’ve watched of this guy, but he has just as much good tape as bad might be worth another look.

39. By jasonc on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

Totally agree about the offensive line. I think the big question will be what we do in free agency. Unlike other people who think we can sign Dansby and a FA LT, I don’t see this happening. I think we will only be able to sign one or the other, and if it was my call I would try to keep the defense together. So that means we need to find upgrades on the offensive line through the draft. Yankey would be an impressive addition and I think if Watford can turn himself into a starting G it would give us the ability to eventually move Cooper to C. Of course when I was doing my draft I just couldn’t pass on Pryor….I’m a big fan of that kid,but I’d have been just as comfortable going Yankey/Smith 1-2.

40. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

jasonc,

I am thinking that I might let Dansby move on. Don’t get me wrong, If money was no object, I would have signed him yesterday. But with a tight cap, the fact you drafted an ILB with a high pick last year, chasing a LT would be more wise.

Pryor is on the move I could see his name being called at 20.

But I just can’t help but think, If we would have just taken Kenny Vaccaro last year and then my guy Terron Armstead, we could grab Yankey this year and be in great shape with resigning Dansby

Hindsight? Go back to april 24th 2013 blog

I knew a Austin trade was brewing and I wanted to stay in the top 14 to land Vaccaro. Come back in round 2 and get Terron Armstead at LT (starting LT for saints) and Jamie Collins (starting OLB for Pats) with our two 2′s.

Might of helped us this year.

41. By jason on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

Yeah, hindsight is always interesting. You know I was not a fan of G @7 last season, but I understand the reasoning if you in fact believe that Cooper was going to be All-Pro for the next decade…alot of pressure for a young player and injuries never help. However, since it is a futile endeavor to play hindsight lets focus on the here and now.

Here is my reasoning about Dansby, the tight cap and keeping the defense together. I think in order for us to sign a LT in FA it’s going to cost us around 10 million per year, but with that same money I think we can get Dansby, Shaunessy, Rucker and Cason back. I know we have a replacement for Dansby for after we release Brinkley we will have to sign a FA or draft another ILB for depth.

I understand that our offensive line has been analytically the worst in the NFL for the past 2 years, but some things to keep in mind. We will already have an instant upgrade with Cooper, Watford and Massie are 2 young guys waiting for the opportunity to start (no different than Minter), Sendline is solid….we just have that hole at LT. Sowell did play better as the season progressed and it is possible he could hold that spot down for another season or we could draft a LT, maybe even trade down for extra picks and get Tiny Richardson at the end of the 1st.

I think it comes down to your offseason evaluations. If you think that Minter and Jefferson are more prepared to step in as starters then you look o-line in FA and if you think Massie and Watford are more ready, you try to keep that D intact.

42. By Big Ken on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Yikes that Logan Thomas looks like Jamarcus Russell’s little brother. I might use a seventh round compensatory pick on him. I dun no…

2. Jan 18, 2014: FEATURED ARTICLE: Arizona Cardinals news 1/18:Arians’ anniversary, top plays | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog