Without Fitz, does Sherman/Crabtree dustup happen?

Posted by Darren Urban on January 20, 2014 – 10:31 am

If you pay attention to the NFL at all, you know how Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman went off on 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree both on national TV and again in the post-game press conference. This was after Sherman taunted Crabtree right after making the play that led to the NFC Championship-clinching interception on a pass to Crabtree. Seems that the Cardinals — or at least Larry Fitzgerald — have a role in all of this. As you can see in the video below from NFL Network, the genesis of the bad blood between Sherman and Crabtree came when the two were part of the celebrities in town to play at Fitz’s annual charity softball game, which includes a dinner where they all get together. Sherman and Crabtree apparently had words then.

So, if I am understanding correctly, that means without Fitz, this whole thing — which, for now, has totally overshadowed the Seahawks making the Super Bowl — might not have happened? Fitz, bringing people together.

Actually, it’s interesting, because Fitzgerald is the absolute last guy that is going to engage in that stuff. Earlier this year, in fact, Sherman was kind of complaining that Fitz wouldn’t trade barbs and it made it hard to not like him. There is a reason Fitz can get these guys to attend his charity events and why Fitz keeps getting voted to the Pro Bowl. (Full disclosure: I’m not a fan of trash-talking myself. If you are good, it seems to me your play does the talking. If you are not good, why, exactly, would you be talking?)

Meanwhile, these are all components of the Cardinals’ universe. It’s not like Crabtree doesn’t have history with the Cardinals too, and going up against the Cards’ own star cornerback Patrick Peterson, who also (kind of) weighed in when all of this Sherman/Crabtree/best cornerback stuff started happening.

Ahh, the NFC West. It’s quite the universe within which to live these days.

Tags: , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Without Fitz, does Sherman/Crabtree dustup happen?”

1. By LadyBird04 on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

RE: Sherman – Act like you’ve been there before! Class shows and obviously it missed his family tree. Obviously he is smart intellectually (Stanford) but on a personal level – not so much! The taunting was bad enough but then his nasty mouth in the Erin Andrews interview, his mother must be soooo proud.

I’ll take a Larry Fitzgerald every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

2. By Dynosoar on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

I’m not a fan of trash talk, friendly banter is one thing, trash talk is trashy.

Seems to come from the top down. Never been a fan of Pete Carrol’s attitude, always rubs me as poor winner/poor loser and other than commercials, whenever I see the 49ers’ Harbaugh, he’s yelling and angry.

I’m really grateful for the players we have and the coaches as well. And as far as Seattle, only a very few teams beat them this year and only one in their house.

Next year’s gonna be great! Home field advantage in Feb. 2015, yeah that’d be sweet.

3. By Dynosoar on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Being a tough team shouldn’t mean thuggish.

4. By rod on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Here’s one for you. The two Superbowl bound teams are from the only two states in the US to have legalized recreational use of pot.

Coincidence? I think not.

5. By justin on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

I’m surprised you didn’t mention the tweet Tyrann Mathieu sent out too.Check out @Mathieu_Era’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Mathieu_Era/status/425100421468655616

6. By Dr. G. on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Good stuff Darren…. There may be 2 people without invitations to Fitz’s dinner this Summer. It is obvious Crabs teasing was not taken well…Sherman needs to find a sense of humor during training camp this year. Instead of all the Rap, he could go to the XM laugh channel for a while.

I want Sherman to try to stop MegaFloyd this year – he may end up with a sprained brain…

I am happy that PP has muted some of the bragging from earlier this season. Success is a team thing, not just one player. When the world is counting on you, just do some math…. History tells us that CB’s are too sensitive.

Got lots to do on my day off…. Be well….

7. By James Miller - ecoglass on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

The truth is Crabtree is and always has been a Tool !!! He has a ton of talent and could be one of the top 10 if he’d grow up and take advantage of his talent and gift of being in the NFL.

Sherman is a Great CB – his natural talent is by far the best I’ve seen… His vertical is tremendous and his timing can’t be touched….

Patrick Peterson is also an Amazing CB that deserves to be in that elite group “the best” in the NFL…

Go Cardinals !!!

8. By Mike G on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! — Certainly Sherman’s behavior overshadowed a great game. He has to act more professional and not let his emotions get the best of him. That was a physical ball-game ashame there has to be a loser. Really enjoyed that game–old school ball where every yard was tough to come by. I think home field was key–I think if the game was at Candlestick–SF would have the edge. Hopefully the Superbowl will be good—two West Coast teams playing in Giant Stadium. Hey Darren–Did you see the play where Bowman got hurt and recovered the Seahawk fumble at the one??? How did the ref not see that fumble??? And yet you could not review it!! The league has to change that scenario so that play can be reviewed–don’t you think????

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: “Thuggish”

When I think of “thuggish” I don’t think of Richard Sherman. He didn’t even cuss during that interview.

10. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Justin —

RE: Tyrann tweet

Oh, I noticed it last night: https://twitter.com/Cardschatter/status/425100584627081216

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Bowman

I get why the play isn’t reviewed, because 99 percent of fumble recoveries can’t be seen on replay (and why they can’t be reviewed). That said, it was a travesty the Niners didn’t get the ball there. Fortunately, it didn’t matter.

12. By Anquan on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Hey Sherm, Thanks for getting me off the front page this week on the Cards site!…

Q…

13. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Talking about Wide Receivers; I know he was retired, but has anyone heard how Ryan Swope is health-wise and if after 1 year, he is still eligible to come back to NFL?. I thought that was a good value pick last year.
    Looking forward to the GURU Steve Kiem and company, to see if they can hit home-runs again on draft-picks this year.
    Go Red Birdz

14. By Dynosoar on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

I think you may have misunderstood my thoughts. Easy to do with just 7 words being typed. very easy.

I have always admired Sherman’s interview presence. I don’t know what happened Sunday; most people lose it from time to time just not on national television and thuggish doesn’t necessarily mean swearing.

I do think it’s fitting that the two teams with the best records are facing each other in the big game. Does anyone know how often the two #1 seeded teams have met for the Super Bowl? I don’t like it, but I think it’s fitting.

15. By Dynosoar on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

I see a thuggish attitude prevalent that passes as tough. I watch how Fitz plays and it’s tough, smart and wanting accountability, personal and from others; but not thuggish, not in your face and not a poor sportsman. A model.

Would Sherman have “pulled his punch” on a block to Fitzgerald? I don’t know and won’t until the opportunity presents itself, but Fitz did.

I stand by what i said earlier, I also was not calling Sherman a thug. It is more a general reference to two teams that played for the NFC yesterday. Again, I may be biased.

16. By Shane on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

With the Bowman injury Darren does that move Washington into his 1st pro bowl?

17. By Andy Kw on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

I have to admit, CB Richard Sherman is the Best Cornerback in the NFL. CB Patrick Peterson is getting there and I feel he will shock the world in the 2014 season. Patrick Peterson is definitely one of the TOP 5 corners in the NFL, I wouldn’t rank him the best but he is definitely above average.

18. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Shane —

RE: DWash Pro Bowl

I do not believe so.

19. By Jim E. on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Night and day between when Sherm was talking 5 minutes after the game ended and when he was talking an hour after the game. Jeckyl and Hide. I understand your emotions are high and your adrenaline is going during the game, but to that extreme? I’ve always thought the Seahawks were injesting stimulants and lately a few of them have gotten caught and suspended. Makes me wonder about this guy also.

20. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

That game was probably the only time in my life that I rooted for the Seahawks. It was good to see the 49er’s taken down a notch by losing to Seattle. Next year we will see how cocky the 49er’s are when the Cards sweep them….

21. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Well, first, for all of those who were expressing disdain for Anquan Boldin last week for trash talking and being too demonstrative with opposing players, perhaps Mr Sherman has helped put things into perspective for you. Boldin is just a tough guy who plays the game with a certain attitude and, yeah, he talks a bit. But Sherman? Please. He came off as a jack-ass yesterday AFTER ha just made the play that put his team in the SB in 2 weeks. Again, his TEAM had just played a hell of a game was going to a SB and here he was making it all about HIM and this ridiculous little tiff with Crabtree. That is SOOOO stupid and lacking in maturity and professionalism. It probably doesn’t matter to Sherman that he comes off this way and, well….that tells you all you need to know.

As a player, anyone would want him to play for their team. But when he opens his mouth….I end up feeling glad he isn’t wearing a Cardinals uniform at that moment. Seriously, I hear he is a good dude away from the field and his life story is truly amazing and inspirational. But for me, he ruins all of that when he acts like he did yesterday.

Thank you, Patrick Peterson for showing that you can be just as good as Sherman on the field but gracious and a class act when the game is over.

I compare the image of Adrian Wilson – a TRUE warrior and class act – with that tear running down the side of his face and not even being able to find the words to express the satisfaction of winning the game that was sending him AND HIS TEAM to their first SB five years ago to that display of selfishness and immaturity from Sherman yesterday…and I wonder which player really said more in that moment, you know? I guess some guys don’t have to scream and pound their chests and proclaim themselves the best to make themselves heard.

Thank you again, Adrian, for that priceless moment.

Since I began my post with a reference to Anquan Boldin, I will bring it back to him at the end. He is certainly a lot closer to Adrian Wilson than he is to Richard Sherman. I know who I would rather see moving on to a SB, I’ll tell ya that much.

22. By johnnybluenose on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Some of you, probably a very few of you, will know something about hockey. You will know that fighting is allowed in hockey. Fighters are assessed a five minute penalty and are rarely kicked out of the game. A lot of people think that fighting in hockey should be banned and sometimes I agree with them. But when I saw Richard Seymour trash-talking Michael Crabtree at the end of yesterday’s game, I so wanted Crabtree or one of his teammates to punch Seymour’s face in. I would be surprised if Seymour and others like him would continue with their antics if they knew that there would be immediate, painful consequences to pay. And, just so you know that hockey is not all about fighting, if you want to, check out this very short video “Jump the boards with Sidney Crosby and Tim Hortons”.

23. By Scott H on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

As addendum to my last post, I meant to say something about coaching, Because I view Pete Carroll as a cocky and obnoxious guy and I think a coach like that probably encourages guys like Sherman to be the way they are – if not directly, then simply through their own example. Whereas a coach with better character might actually to encourage a Richard Sherman to become a better man, to not be so child-like and juvenile.

24. By rod on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Sherman sounded like a gigantic poopiehead.

25. By clssylssy on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Like Dynosar, I’m not a big fan of Pete Carroll’s after he beat it out of town just ahead of the NCAA and left 30 athletes without scholarships and the USC football program prohibited from participating in any bowl games for two years, seems like the numerous suspensions on the Seahawks team for PEDs screams loudly about the lack of integrity within their organization and “win at all costs” mentality. Where there’s smoke there’s fire, etc. That being said, there is no arguing that the Seahawks aren’t tough but this IS professional football and like professional wrestling much of the “drama” and theatrics, trash talking etc., is for the camera, press and because the fans are drawn by it, it’s big press, and ultimately translates to big bucks. The big rivalries and “bad blood” between teams is not so much between the players as it is between the fans who get caught up in it and feed it. To infer that Fitz is in anyway responsible for the “incident” between Sherman and Crabtree is absurd and is more media BS; people ARE responsible for their own actions and these are professional entertainers here. Fans who watch sports analysts have heard the experts describe the Seahawks as “winning through intimidation” tactics which implies a certain “thuggish” persona, something that seems to be working for them well. I am very proud of the toughness our Cards team’s ability to let their play speak for itself while still being respected “good guys” among their peers. I’m not sure in anyone else noticed in the pregame show, that when the analysts were choosing their picks to win the game, Terry Bradshaw picked the Cardinals…LOL! After this weekend, the Superbowl doesn’t seem like it will be all that exciting…

26. By Credit Card on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

The educational standards at Stanford appears to have dropped big time.

27. By Credit Card on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

Have you ever noticed Jim Harbaugh has nailed down all the facial expressions of Coronel Klink

28. By Cody Zarr on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

I personally like watching and listening to Richard Sherman play. He’s very interactive with Seattle fans and the community. I’d highly recommend listening to the mic’d up portion from the NFL with him. Everyone does what they can to be competitive, and he thinks that getting under people’s skin gives him an advantage. He probably enjoys it as well obviously, but that’s why he does it.

If you think about it, Crabtree will almost certainly not have a clear thought process when these two face each other again. That may work for, or against him, but from how diva-like he’s acted in the past, I think there’s a good chance it will negatively impact him.

29. By Andy Kw on Jan 20, 2014 | Reply

-Just imagine, we can sign OLB Brian Orakpo to replace Matt Shaughnessy. He is a premiere pass rusher and has that aggressive attitude that best fits this team. We bring back ILB Karlos Dansby and we will have the best LB tandem in the league with Washington, Dansby, Abraham, and Orakpo leading the charge. In the backfield, our team can utilize our first round pick by drafting a strong safety to replace Yeremiah Bell. Our defense will have fantastic starters. With Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie becoming a FA, why not bring him in, moving Jerraud Powers as the Nickel CB making our secondary one of the best in the league. Tyrann Mathieu will heal up and get back to full power and Rashad Johnson is a nice backup in his place. Bringing back LB Marcus Benard and DE Frostee Rucker will be nice making our reserves one of the best as well. Sam Acho and Lorenzo Alexander will be nice reserves as well. Basically our CB, SS and OLB starting positions should change in the 2014 NFL season.

-We bring back RT Eric Winston, LG Jonathan Cooper returns from IR, we move OT Bobby Massie to the left side and our offensive line becomes better. LT Bradley Sowell should have competition with Massie to see who should be our LT of the future. Our team should make Andre Ellington our starter but still have him as a change in pace RB. RB Stepfan Taylor should still remain our 3rd down RB and we bring back RB Rashard Mendenhall as our backup. For TE, we bring back Jim Dray and still have Rob Housler as our starter, Jim Dray could be that blocking TE so that although we don’t have a FB, he would be a nice player for that spot. QB position stays the same. WR Andre Roberts should return as well as the slot. Basically our LG, LT, RB starting positions will change. In the second round, the Cardinals should draft a TE so that we have a double threat in the TE position. Our 3 TE set will be phenomenal.

30. By johnnybluenose on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Sorry about that. I mis-spoke. Perhaps I was agitated. I will try to do better next time. I also apologize to Richard Seymour who is/was a very good player. My comments were concerning Richard Sherman.

31. By steve on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

There just became alot of Broncos fans waiting for Sherman to eat the football while Manning and the Broncos stuff it down his throat. That choke sign, what comes around goes around.

32. By SteveG on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Depends on the trash talk as to if I am for or agin’ it…

After all…Per “Folks say” the two of best ever trash talkers in Basketball history?..Mj and Bird. hardly folks that haven’t “been there before”…..

33. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

This is nothing new.

Have we already forgot the taunting of Tom Brady by Sherman?

“You Mad Bro” t-shirts came out after that.

34. By Andy Kw on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Nice, we brought back P Dave Zastudil in a 2 year contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A few more major players to go: ILB Karlos Dansby, WR Andre Roberts, OT Eric Winston.

Important reserves or players to bring back to provide depth: DE Frostee Rucker, LB Marcus Benard, TE Jim Dray, C Mike Gibson, SS Yeremiah Bell

Major Players to let hit FA: LB Matt Shaughnessy, RB Rashard Mendenhall, CB Antoine Cason, CB Javier Arenas

35. By Eazy E on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Most of y’all except for like Darren and a couple others are totally wrong for what y’all are saying. Richard Sherman was wrong imo for calling out Crabtree publicly and calling him a mediocre receiver but otherwise he’s right. Sherman is from Compton,California where most of us couldn’t even think about getting out of there without joining a gang and/or hurting or killing somebody. The environment is rough and to add to it as a black man makes it that much harder. He made it out and went to Dominguez High School and made straight A’s and then was accepted to a pristine school such as Stanford and played really well and academically did well with an amazing GPA of 3.9. He was a 5th round pick, number 154 and you don’t think he has a chip factory or 2 on his shoulders. He came right into the league playing well pretty much out the gate and you have to give it up to him. I think Patrick is definitely an elite corner but Richard would probably be my pick for the best corner because he’s even more consistent than Patrick which is no diss towards Patrick. CBs have always been cocky maybe because their usually out on an island and have to have that kind of confidence to defend the Fitzgerald’s, Calvin Johnson’s, and Brandon Marshall’s of the world. WRs are also that way, it’s just those position’s ways really. So while your doing your wrongful judging, why don’t y’all consider all of that and then make a sound opinion on Richard Sherman. BTW, you don’t even know the man personally for the love of God. #Only God Can Judge All Of Us

36. By ored on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

andy get real…cap space cap space cap space.

eazy nobody said sherman can’t play,he just needs to keep it on the field,for somebody smart,he sounded like an ahole,he raised himself from the gutter,why go back there?keep it on the field,between players,why let the world see how obnoxious you can be?what does he think of seahawk recievers,harvin’s the only one that is on crabtree’s level and he can’t stay on the field.let your play speak for itself dude,not your mouth or at least bring some of that stanford intellect to the table,say things with class and discretly,you know cutting humor,something where the opponent does’nt know if he should be offended or complimented.anyway it came across as a classless rant and he belittled himself more than he did crabtree.

37. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Darren and Mike G —

I never really understood why the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play is not reviewable. Just apply the same standard that always applies… there has to be indisputable evidence that the call on the field was wrong. In the majority of cases, it will be impossible to tell who recovered the ball in a “scrum,” and in those situations the call on the field will stand. But in an obvious case like this one it is ridiculous not to use the available replay technology to get the call right. If the referees can be asked to review plays to determine whether a receiver really caught the ball or whether it hit the ground, or whether a runner lost control of the ball before being downed by contact (even though many of those plays involve similar scrum-like circumstances), we should expect that they can make fumble recovery calls as well — at least where there is clear evidence.

38. By Hammy on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Are we seriously talking about this? Only because we are not in the playoffs once again! Fitz or no Fitz, it doesn’t matter, these two teams (Seattle and San Fran) HATE each other, so I expect for major trash talk between two cocky attitude football players like Sherman and Crabtree. In my opinion Sherman can talk all the trash he wants, and rant like a WWE wrestler after the game as well because he is the best corner in the league. To have a player like him talk so much and back it up, I would take 11 of those guys on my team any day.

39. By Scott H on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Eazy E –

Whether or not any of us understand where Sherman came from doesn’t mean squat. His story is so amazing because he DID make it out and he DID go on to achieve so much. So, maybe now that he is a PROFESSIONAL and has risen to the top of his occupation, he can stop acting like he’s still there. Gimme a break. It is an emotional game for everyone who plays it. He is far too consumed with HIMSELF and winning HIS battles against individual players. And that is NOT what it should be about when your TEAM is going to a SB.

Hey, Darnell Dockett came from a pretty horrific background, too. I don’t any of this foolishness from him.

For what it’s worth, I heard a very interesting little something yesterday on one of the AM sports talk shows – it was that NINE Seahawks players have been suspended during the past FOUR years for use of performance-enhancing substances NOT permitted for use by NFL players. Those NINE player suspensions are the most in pro sports during that span. Assuming that is accurate, it makes me look at that organization a bit differently, just as many people have looked at the Pats organization differently since that whole spy-gate thing. I mean, cheating is cheating…isn’t it?

40. By Dre on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

I can’t believe all the 49ers fan were putting hawks fan down when bowman got hurt and the popcorn fell on him. Campbell got hurt bad and there dumb fans were doing the wave

41. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2014 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Dockett

Uh, I like Darnell but he’s had his moments too.

42. By Eazy E on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

Ored-

I mean the media sticks a mic in their face 2 seconds after the game so what do you expect?! They haven’t flipped the switch yet sheesh.

Scott H-

Same as Ored and you actually said Dockett don’t do this. Dockett talks all kinds of trash but dude is a beast so no one gone call him out on it. Get a grip, the both of you and all that is crying about this!!

43. By Dr. G. on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

bluenose – if not for the 6th grade haymaker swinging style used in hockey, few people in this area would watch it… It is entertaining to see a player take off his helmet to ready for a fight… Later he realizes his nose is bleeding into his ear!

Zarr – Seattle fan? … Sherman’s hair trigger act is not defensible. Starting with the charity activities also reported by Darren here, it is apparent that Crabtree indeed got under Sherms’ skin and it continues from there. Sherman is not creating any fear as he suggests in the “battle,” he is reacting badly to what came his way. The joke is on him, and he does not realize it.

I blame all this on Erin Andrews’ baiting Sherm… She has been a lightening rod before as I remember! (Kidding of course on this) I’m all for some verbal jousting ON THE FIELD… just don’t take it to the interview and let the press blow it up. Why do you think they wanted Sherm right after the game….Yep, he was still HOT…makes for a good sports soap opera story.

Pete Carroll? I am just wondering which team in the NFL is the most penalized in 2013. Anybody? ’tis easy to point to the Coach as negligent in proper field socializing and media training… no love for this guy…

Darren – do you have the top 3 maybe on this stat? Thanks…G’day

44. By Darren Urban on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Penalties

Most penalized teams, 2013:
    Seattle 145
    Oakland 143
    St. Louis 143
    Tampa Bay 138
    Houston 134
    Denver 132

45. By Scott H on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

Eazy E –

Get a grip yourself, dude. OK, can you please direct my attention to the public rant from Dockett that I obviously missed somewhere along the line? I’m well aware of his penchant for talking smack during the games. And ya know what? When you listen to just about any soundtrack of live action DURING THE GAME these days, you realize that that goes on constantly and many players do it. I am referring to Sherman’s PUBLIC display of idiocy AFTER THE GAME WAS OVER. When has Dockett done THIS???

46. By Dr. G. on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

Per Darren’s post on stats of the most penalized teams, the numbers speak for themselves. Discipline comes from the top; I guarantee Arians will freak if the Cards ever begin to rise in this category. He will not tolerate it. Screaming into a mic demonstrates lack of discipline as well. Classroom speeches sometimes just do not work! Pete Carroll’s demeanor on the sidelines sets the pace, just watch him. Passion does not have to be idiotic. Later….
    Thanks…. Darren…