• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp
  • Sun., May. 25, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

Watching a season in focus

Posted by Darren Urban on January 22, 2014 – 2:16 pm

Consider this a public service announcement: The boys downstairs in the broadcast department are putting together a cool retrospective on the 2013 season, the first years of General Manager Steve Keim and coach Bruce Arians, and where the Cards stand in the competitive NFC West. That hour-long show, part of the “Season In Focus” series, will air Jan. 25 at 10:35 p.m. on ABC-15.

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “Watching a season in focus”

1. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

YES!!! Mahalo for thinking of us !!!!!

2. By jason on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

Did anyone else see the Arians comments about the QB? Bob McManaman @azbobbymac asked what BA would tell people who want to see the Cards draft a QB @ 20 and Arians replied: Why? We’ve got two pretty good ones that are younger (Stanton and Lindley). For us right now it’s about winning a championship. You have to play; it’s the only way you learn. He’s got to get the reps in practice, be under center and throwing all the time. I don’t think we can afford to have a guy come in like that. I’m not a believer in a guy learning anything sitting on the bench.

Now, keep in mind he was speaking specifically about the pick @20, but it sounds like that is his general outlook as well. It could also be pre-draft smoke screen stuff, but fans that want a QB this year might need to get ready to be disappointed.

3. By Darren Urban on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

Jason –

RE: QB

I would say two things:
    1) Like you said, careful of smokescreens, although I do believe Arians feels this way.
    2) Keim is the one making decisions on draft day. Trust me, he isn’t passing on a QB he truly believes in. Now, does that mean they take one early? Not necessarily.

4. By jasonc on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

Totally agree. If it were Keim’s statements I would’ve said that fans ‘should get ready’ instead of ‘might need to get ready’ to be disappointed.

5. By Dynosoar on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

Clssylssy, Shannon Robinson and Scott H.,

from the last post – ya’ll have it dead on. I like all three of your responses and Shannon, I’d love to see that implemented. Then a certain kickalicious would have an NFL job.

6. By Dynosoar on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

to echo kauaicardsfan – “YES!!! Mahalo for thinking of us !!!!!”

“And yes, for those of you out of town, the segments on the show will be posted on azcardinals.com.”

Best news today!

7. By ored on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

they are gonna have their board and stay with the value and fit,it’s worked so far,be foolish to switch now.we know and they know we need o-line help foremost,but if the value does’nt fall to us,we’ll look elsewhere.personally i think we go hard sfter a free agent tackle then draft a safety or d-line and come back and look hard at lt and qb.i would’nt even mind going the golden domer lt,short arms and all,he has a lot going for him,can play all five positions up front,worst case he becomes an all pro guard…at #20,we did’nt have a problem drafting one at #7 last year.i think i’ll put my trust in keim,he’s been outstanding thus far.nobody can forsee injuries,barring that we’ve done very well evaluating talent.

8. By Dr. G. on Jan 22, 2014 | Reply

In Agreement of speculation -

Darren – jasonc = I think BA/Keim had Palmer or Smith in mind as he was saying that Stanton would be our starter last Spring. Stanton will be 30…Palmer will be 34 at season’s start. A QB pick at #20 would be 8 to 11 years younger… talking future here. (for example: McCarron is 23) (Carr is 22) Just a couple well worth the pick at #20 to be Palmer’s protege for a year or maybe two if Palmer just goes nuts on his stats. Lindley seems to be a practice QB from what we’ve seen.

BA’s statement was to pacify the press, I hope. I believe. Any reporter worth their salt knows questions as such are just rhetorical hoping they get a scoop. (As in Erin Andrews last Sunday.) It’s worth a shot for them to try…

We need a QB to groom, period……..

9. By Hammy on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Thanks Darren for the info. I am obsessed with the Cardinals and relish whatever coverage I can get. Living here in Maryland, if you dont have Direct TV or go out to a sports bar every Sunday, you will not be watching the Cards :( So I appreciate all the coverage you and your team provide for us.

10. By jakeplummersghost on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Re: Jason

This is the same guy who called Levi “elite” and then promptly traded him. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

jasonc

Can’t say I would be disappointed. My stand is, unless Bortles drops to 20 (which isn’t going to happen) I am not overly impressed with any of the QBs.

I think last year I wanted to reach since we didn’t have a QB. But once we traded for Palmer, I am comfortable with our QBs.

4000 yards and 24 TDs behind the 32nd ranked Oline and a new system with WRs and QBs still learning.

If we can improve the line, get a run game, get some consistency out of the TE position and get a wr who can stretch the field, Palmer is good enough to lead us to the playoffs and beyond.

No need to get a rookie QB who guys like Bickley and the fans call for after every INT.

12. By jasonc on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G-I’m sorry…did you say McCarron was worth the 20th pick?!?

jakeplummersghost-AWESOME comment….well played sir.

JTDG-I agree, I’m not for drafting a QB high….I’m not opposed to drafting a QB later if he had potential, say a 6’6 250 guy with a cannon arm who runs a 4.6 40…alright, I’ll stop talking about it. Especially since some team is probably going to overdraft him.

13. By Dr. G. on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

jasonc – Don’t be sorry – I meant the number 2 to be 2nd or 3rd round. I was using those two players just to demonstrate how many years our current QB’s DON’T have left. If Palmer can play 2 more years, Drew will be 32. He has a big contract for a backup. … Wisdom begins to kick in later on, but the body starts to need more Advil. You won’t need anyone to tell you how many of the early round QB picks just didn’t translate well to the NFL… Even recent history tells us who they are: Gabbert, Carr, Freeman, Young, Leinart, Leaf, Sanchez? The list could go on and on… I think there will usually be a sleeper like Wilson in there. If the GM’s knew what they know now, he would have been very high, 1st round. And could there be a Tom Brady in there at #199/6th round? Drafting a QB is mostly a crap shoot. RB’s and some other positions are more predictable. Cards need a QB to groom now…not in a year or two when he must contribute immediately. More QB’s are ruined by that approach… Rarely can they step in like Luck or Manning… Those guys are androids… Manziel – he’s gonna be a mess… Be well….

14. By Dr. G. on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren – Re: Breaking down the birds 2014 -

I stumbled onto this analysis/evaluation that you did recently. It was not really obvious as a post you normally do. This was really good stuff…worth noting larger somewhere on your posting for those who may have missed it… Thanks… a good day….

15. By T.Stone on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Thanks From Alaska.

16. By jasonc on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G-

Ok, you had me worried there for minute! I think that 32 wouldn’t be that old for a guy who hasn’t taken a beating for 10 years-he has low mileage. Maybe they really believe that Drew Stanton is a viable replacement when Carson retires. I mean it isn’t unprecedented for a QB to have success later on in his career, Rich Gannon for instance, and Drew would certainly be well versed in the playbook and his contract isn’t bad and for a starter. It’s an interesting thought; if BA honestly believes in Drew replacing Carson we are more like 5 years away from a young starter, and who knows what could happen in 5 years. We might find a guy in the draft who takes Drew’s job like Kaepernick/Smith but we wouldn’t be pressured to find a new guy, we could take our time. Of course that is all speculation, as Darren said if Keim likes a guy in the draft he’s going to take him.

17. By Big Ken on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

I think coach Arians has made the off season smoke screening a fine art form. I mean for a while he was telling us Levi Brown was the man and Drew Stanton was going to be our starting quarterback. BA just cracks me up.

18. By Dr. G. on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

#20 draft pick – Here’s a link to Kent Somers’ short article 1/23/2014 about why the Cards will draft a QB with their 1st pick… very astute and objective. Note the part where Keim wants a QB pick every year… I am on board with Somers and Keim here. I like the commentary – Coaches look at the dots before them… GM’s look at the horizon… Keim is the decider here…. We’ll see, huh?

19. By jasonc on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G-

Thank you for posting that link, I hadn’t read that article yet. Although I think you might want to look it over again because no where in that article does Kent Somers say that they ‘will’ draft a QB in the first round. What he does say is that it would be smart for the Cards to draft a QB even if it’s in the mid rounds. Steve Keim said he’d like to draft a QB every year before last years draft and do you know how many QB’s we drafted last year? If you said zero than you were right. I agree with you; I think the Cards would be best served to pick a QB this year, and every year, but Keim isn’t going to take a QB, or any player just to pick one. That is why I have a lot of hope for Keim…I honestly think he is a franchise changer and that his one year on the job wasn’t a fluke and that we are a team on the rise.

20. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 24, 2014 | Reply

jasonc and Dr G

Just taking a QB in every draft is a stupid approach. Lets see, we tried with taking Skelton and Lindley and it netted us nothing.

Many say picking a QB comes down to luck. I disagree. I think a QB must first fit your program. Second, he must have an NFL arm. If he can not make all the throws, defenses will adjust and force him into the throws he is not comfortable with. Finally, you have to do your homework and find out what type of guy he is.

Example; There is a great story of the colts when they took Manning. They were trying to figure out which QB to take (Leif or Manning) when they asked Leif what he would do if pick #1 overall. Leif said he would be excited and throw a party for friends and family. Manning said, I will be on a plane to get the playbook and get to work and if you don’t pick me, I will beat you the next 15 years.

When looking at bust (Jamarcus Russel, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Ryan Leif, ect, they all came into the NFL with poor work ethics, performed on sheer talent, or had systems that fit them to make them look good. (Blaine Gabbert) .Think about it, what are the labels on Josh Freeman and Mark Sanchez? You think they were first in the building to study at USC and Kansas St? So why did you think it would change?

When taking a QB in the first round, you have to remove desperation and emotion from the equation. Talk to their College coaches, but more important, ask their team mates about them. Everyone knew Russel Wilson was a stand up guy, great leader and had an NFL arm. Only the Seahawks saw how to use him to be successful in the NFL.

When looking later in the draft, the odds of finding a QB drops. 25 of the 32 QBs were chosen in the top 39 picks. With teams like the raiders, texans and browns to add to that total this offseason.

Brady (6th round) and Romo (UDFA) are very rare. Foles, Glennon and Wilson (all found in the 3rd round) had flaws that their teams found ways to work around.

For instance, Foles was labeled too tall with too long of a stride. Chip Kelly has an offense that moves the QB out of the pocket or play action that allows Foles to step freely into his throws. While Wilson was too short, the seahawks use a lot of roll outs and movement to get Wilson out of the pocket. Jury is out on Glennon.

But to draft a QB every draft with hopes you land one of those 5, is like throwing coins in a wishing well. To find a QB, you have to do your homework, dont get caught up in the buzz, and draft them high.

But I do not believe it is a matter of luck or chance. It is science. Picking at #20, we could be looking at Manziel or Carr. Are you sure Manziel is a guy who will bury himself in the playbook, stay home at night so he can be the first in the building, and work tiredlessly to be the best ? How about Carr? If everytime he gets pressure in his face, he throws off the back foot (ala Blaine Gabbert) are you really sure he will stop doing that as a pro?

Are Carr and Manziel electric on the field? Yes. Do the posses many of the qualities an NFL QB has? Yes. Will they be successful? Better do your homework.
    Will someone like Mettenberger or McCarrens be successful as 3rd round picks? odds are against them. Will Logan Thomas be a starter as a late pick? You might have better odds with the lottery.

21. By jasonc on Jan 24, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

I appreciate your opinion but honestly if you’ve perfected the ‘science’ of drafting a QB you should probably apply for a job with an NFL front office. A lot of talented people who have a lot of years in the business have missed on a lot of QB’s in the draft. Not just the memorable flops and not just inept franchises with terrible GM’s but all across the board. So to say that you’ve figured out the formula to draft a QB and that it is complete science is being a bit braggadocios; Don’t you think? I said that we’d be best served to draft a QB every year, but I also said that Keim wouldn’t draft a QB just to pick one. Does that sound like I think we should just ‘throw coins into a wishing well’? Or does it sound like I think Keim would do his homework and would only pick a player that he believed in? I think its extremely presumptuous of you to assume that when I say we’d be best served that I think we will draft a QB every year, but wouldn’t you agree that we should evaluate getting better at every position every offseason? Wouldn’t you agree that if a value pick came to us and it was a QB that we had graded as the highest player we draft him? Wouldn’t it be wise to have multiple talented young signal callers? Maybe the kind that other teams would trade draft picks for? Just some things to think about.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 24, 2014 | Reply

One more thing to add;

The last two drafts I have been pleading to draft a QB.

Two years ago, using a logical approach, I thought the cards should trade up for Ryan Tannehill. Why? Tannehill had a strong arm, was athletic(played wr his first two years), was very smart, was settled in his personal life (married or getting married). He was a little raw but you knew he was a leader and was going to work. Tannehill, on a bad team with not much weapons threw for close to 4000 yards and 24 tds.

Last year, after 3 years of bad QBing here in AZ, I was desperate for the cards to choose any QB. Anything would be better than Kolb, Skelton and Lindley. I jumped on the Landry Jones band wagon. He had a strong arm and also was a leader with a settled home life (getting married). He was known to work hard. But in my desperation to find a QB, I overlooked how he made bad decisions if pressured and how he played in a spread offense and never took snaps under center. He is a work in progress who may be nothing more than a back up if lucky.

When we traded for Palmer, I backed off of Jones. But that is how bad picks happen. You need a QB and you overdraft a guy while overlooking his flaws because he has talents that could work.

One year I was logical and approached the draft with a science of drafting a QB. The next year, I was desperate and reached. I think every bad QB decision happens this way. Jamarcus Russel has a huge arm and I really need a QB, forget the fact that he never sets foot in a film room or is out of shape. We can fix that.

Just grabbing guys with hopes they work out rarely does. But if you apply science and take out emotion, I think you can find your QB most of the time.

23. By the way - Dr. G. on Jan 24, 2014 | Reply

jasonc – good observations- here’s a little more

jtdg – Stupid? I was reiterating Keim’s statement. Perhaps you can tell him that. All your considerations are legit, but there’s rarely definitive things in the draft. I hope that is what you are saying.
    _____________

Mr. Keim, We don’t need a QB to groom! We need a good OT and some experience at the O-line. The danger with a reworked O-line with all the new guys is that the learning curve becomes steep. Cooper and Watford have never taken a snap in a regular-season. Is the left tackle gonna be a rookie, too? Going into the season with three young starters could be a scary proposition, especially with the defensive lines the Cardinals face in the NFC West. Sincerely, Carson Palmer…
    _____________

Ya see, the draft/FA depends on the source opinion which can be a biased, including the posters here. There are a good number of things to address this off season, but it is nothing like what the staff was presented with last season. Thinking “future,” I maintain the needs now to be OT at #20, and QB later. The first 3 rated QB’s in the draft are underclassmen…Maturity? As I said before, Manziel will probably be a bonafide mess… I trust Keim with his evaluations; he has proven himself so far…. Later

24. By the way - Dr. G. on Jan 24, 2014 | Reply

jtdg – Just saw your latest…. Science vs desperation? Why either polar approach? You just defined the Whiz and Graves on QB’s… The physical attributes are imperative; but then character, leadership, discipline, work ethic and eagerness to learn are also required to put a player on the board. Is that science to you? OK…

Keim put Mathieu on notice when he picked him on a dice roll. I pictured the words used were something like this: “Screw up, and you are gone.” Some players are worth a gamble base upon other superb attributes. I learned to detest the Hollywood Lienart pick when I saw him on TV carrying his clothes from Paris’ house in the early AM… Priorities?

25. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 26, 2014 | Reply

jasonc and Dr G

My point is those GMs and football people have missed on QBs and looking at why, they shouldn’t have. Mistakes that could of and should have been avoided.
    My believe of finding a QB must have; 1) a true NFL arm (they don’t have to be Elway, but they must be able to make all the NFL throws) 2. How do they respond to pressure? A NFL QB will have pressure and how they can react to that pressure will determine their success. 3) what kind of person are they. Will they be in the film room, be open to coaching, work at their craft and not be roaming the bars and hottubs. (this is usually the part that most fans don’t get, but with the ability to have scouts investigate this player and even hire investigators to check out who he is, this is the most crucial step.
    What scouts, GMs can’t do IMO is think they can fix the player. He will get more into the film room, he will become a leader, he will take his job more seriously once drafted are lies GMs tell themselves because blinded by potential. Sure this is hindsight but the principles are true.

Let’s look at the QBs drafted in 2009.
    2009 – Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Pat White

Stafford was the number 1 pick – Did he have production in college? yes. When in trouble, how did he respond? Reports say he had a sixth sense in finding receivers when pressured. How was his arm strength? Great. can make every NFL throw and also has touch. Off field – no issues of note. Since I am not in meeting room, tough for me to know, but was know as a leader in Georgia.
    Although his team has been disappointing, Stafford has 90 TDs and almost 15,000 yards.

Sanchez was next. What was interesting about this pick was who was picking him. Metlife is known for strong winds and a tough place to throw the ball. So, as a scout / GM how can you take a QB who doesn’t have a strong arm? Sanchez has one of the weaker arms. Mistake one. Sanchez was a starter for one year on a team that had superior talent. He threw from clean pockets , had a strong run game. Not much of a body of work. So, lets take him because of intangibles. Only problem, he was not know for his hard work at USC. Are you really surprised he was not a franchise guy in NY? Ryan thought he would protect the ball and allow the defense to win games. It worked in the beginning until Sanchez was asked to do more.

Freeman – I liked this guy coming out because he looked the part. Big guy with a strong arm. He could have been very good (Banking on potential vs reality)
    Here was one scouting report;
    Strengths: Elite frame with excellent height and in great condition … No questions about arm strength; shows elite arm strength on 15- to 20-yard stick throws (outs, posts) … Uses nice touch and throws a catchable ball … Can throw the ball on the run … Very low interception percentage from sophomore to junior year; Solid decision maker … Nice footwork and has a quick drop … Outstanding feel for the pass rush … Great mobility and can gain yardage with his feet … Extremely high upside.

Weaknesses: Accuracy was abysmal in junior year … Locks on to receivers and shows below-average field vision … Wildly inconsistent; runs hot and cold … Questionable leadership … Intangibles will go under the microscope by pro scouts who can talk to KSU players and coaches.

Questionable leadership and inconsistent along with accuracy issues in college.So what is his issues in the NFL? Hmm. Why was he taken in the first round? Because GMs overlook the weakness and think they will fix him. That arrogance is why their are bust in the NFL.

Pat White – was a running QB who should have switched positions. At 6′ and 197, he was small and fast who relied on running in college. He was bad at the combine and pro days. Never took snaps under the center and really had no chance to learn to be a pro QB.
    McShay wrote
    Which basically said no chance on this guy for many reasons. So how does the Dolphins overlook everything and take him high in the second round?

So, apply these principles to this draft. Manziel is small, was banged up in college his last two games, made spectacular plays but was known to have issues with the head coach and may not be coachable. He also may not be a guy who lives in the film room. I don’t touch him.
    Blake Bortles is a guy who can make all the throws, He has good mobility in the pocket as he climbs the pocket well when pressured, Known as a high competitor and high football IQ. He is inconsistent at times but usually when his mechanics break down which can be improved. He would benefit from a year behind an NFL QB but is my top guy.

Sorry guys so long

26. By jasonc on Jan 26, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

So…..you’re saying that GM’s would never miss on a QB if they only drafted guys with NFL arms, who thrive under pressure and are committed to their craft and always looking to improve. I don’t know, it seems like a long shot. I guess the fact that there are 32 NFL QB jobs and the NFL doesn’t even have enough qualified QB’s to be called starters much less franchise guys to fill those jobs that maybe sometimes they have to take a chance on a guy who doesn’t have the best arm (Montana) or a guy who was known as a partier (Marino) or a guy that played in an option attack and had a hitch in his delivery (Kaepernick). I really respect your opinions and love to talk players and football with you but, you really are coming off as pompous. Listing three traits as to what embodies a sure thing QB and then going back and listing successes and failures of QB’s that prove your point is just silly. A real formula that is used is called the 26-27-60 which is wonderlic test score/collegiate starts/completion percentage. Even this model is flawed because of the nature of college football and the spread formations with constant bubble screens elevates completion percentages. Look, my point is that if there were a full proof system some guy at MIT probably would’ve figured it out and it would be WAY more complex than stating the obvious.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 26, 2014 | Reply

jasonc

I am sorry if I am coming off pompous or like I have all the answers.

What my point is, I don’t care what the formula you use or how much tape you look at, but because of the need at QB, GMs continue to overlook what they know and see and overdraft guys.

You said it, there is not 32 qualified QBs out there. When you are one of those teams that does not have one, you know it is hard to function without one.

So going back to 2009, there was only one QB worthy of the first or second round. Freeman, Sanchez and White had so many red flags yet because they had enough traits and the need for QBs by those teams, they were overdrafted.

I fall into this too. I wanted Freeman back in 2009. I wanted to take Landry Jones in round 2 last year until the Palmer trade. Why? Because they both had enough good traits and we desperately needed a QB. Looking at what their scouting reports say, I shouldn’t have wanted them. The red flags were obvious. But if you do not have one, you need one and you reach.

So, not to sound arrogant, but I think it is easier to draft a QB than one thinks.
    One thing I needed to add that I put in my first email is your system also.That QB must fit the system or they will struggle.

Montana’s arm was strong enough to make all the throws (ala Dalton) and he was married to the right system. Marino was rumored to party in college and it might have effected his draft status. But he was always in the film room and working. Shula did his homework and knew what he was getting.Once drafted, I can guarantee one thing, Shula would not have put up with anything less than Marino stepping up. Shula ruled with an iron fist. Kaepernick had a spread offense in college and a little hitch, thus he fell to round two. He went to a team that has allowed him to be successful. I am not sold that if he went to the rams, he would be as successful.

Point is, I would rather miss on a Tom Brady than draft 15 lindleys. I would miss on Kaep instead of taking a Tim Tebow.
    I think if you do not panic, overdraft and stick to your guns by investigating the QB completely, you can find a QB in the next 3-4 years (which is when we will need one)

28. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 26, 2014 | Reply

One more thing;

Darren has stated several times that if Keim and Arians isn’t in love with a QB, they won’t take one.

That is what I am saying. If they do not fit what you want in a QB on and off the field, don’t touch them.

29. By jasonc on Jan 27, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

I agree with you whole heartedly and if you’d go back and read my posts, I too have stated several times that Keim wouldn’t take a QB if he didn’t like them.

I think stating obvious traits you’d love in a QB is easy, but I think it’s more than a players attributes sometimes. Sure arm strength and all that is important but the situation they come into is important as well: Is the franchise stable, coaching, level of team talent, etc.

Is Tannehill as successful if he doesn’t play for Sherman his HC @ A&M the year before as his OC? Is Roethlistberger as successful if he doesn’t go to the Steelers with their defense, running game and Whiz giving him a one read offense his rookie year? Is Montana successful if he doesn’t play in a west coast offense? Is Rodgers successful if he doesn’t go to GB and get 3 years to learn that offense and improve his craft? Does Wilson even get a chance to start as a rookie without Carroll and does he develop the same way if he played for a bad team that he had to continually play from behind?

Quarterback is one of those positions where when you lose your confidence it’s pretty much over and if these guys didn’t get drafted into situations where they were able to sit and learn or experienced early success would they be there players they are today. Switch David Carr and Rodgers and would Carr still fail and Rodgers succeed?

Just some things to think about.

30. By the way - Dr. G. on Jan 27, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – I take your voluminous posts with a few grains. Your analyses are practical, but every war room will have this awareness, and then some. They will “rarely” use your 20-20 hindsight for current evaluations. Each QB is a new world of issues; and to your point of “fitting in,” college is not the NFL. This is why most QB’s drafted will need some time to acclimate to learn a new, faster game. The immediate starters like Luck and Manning I mentioned before are rare indeed.

jasonc – interesting reading the banter here. You are fighting a battle you can’t win, because this gentleman has molded some inflexible beliefs that are not negotiable. I like the “best player” available approach generally, but the search to upgrade the QB position you state is sensible for every team, every year.

Arians is not speaking for Keim when he says our 2 backups are capable/competent. I think Lindley is out. Darren, as well as every other competent media person have iterated the possibility of a QB addition, somehow. Keim will listen, but the ultimate decision is his and Michael’s. As I said prior, “intuition” was the key element Mathieu is here. That is part of the draft; I hope Keim has a good feel for it. So far, he is a genius!

I would like to see the Cards look at the horizon, not just connecting the dots in front of them as Kent Somers stated. Stanton has been around about 7 years now; if he was a starter, he would be one… Be well…. “withdrawals!”