McDonough’s strong opinions will help Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on January 23, 2014 – 3:27 pm

Terry McDonough comes from a family with an incredibly strong background: His father, Will McDonough, was a legendary writer for the Boston Globe and was one of the first newspaper guys to transition into TV work when he would report on the NFL on NBC back in the early 1980s. Terry’s brother, Sean, is a play-by-play announcer for the Boston Red Sox and ESPN. His brother Ryan is in town as general manager of the NBA’s Phoenix Suns. You don’t get into those jobs, usually, without a strong personality.

McDonough has that. Cardinals general manager Steve Keim used to say that one of the reasons he liked having Jason Licht with him in the front office was that Licht would battle him if he believed in something strongly enough. McDonough, who said Thursday that he won’t be afraid to tell Keim the truth “based on how I see it,” seems to be a natural replacement as VP of player personnel now that Licht is the Buccaneers’ GM.

It helps to have someone in-house to turn to when there is a vacancy. McDonough had a pretty loaded résumé when he was hired as a regional scout last year. The fact Licht seemed destined to leave sooner rather than later for a GM job could’ve played a role. Now, the Cards should be able to transition fairly easily as the draft process ramps up. And there usually is nothing that causes death to an NFL team’s path than an inability to tell the higher-ups a differing opinion, so McDonough’s willingness to speak up will be important.

McDonough joked Thursday he might fight Keim, but it would only be verbally. Maybe. But Will McDonough, while an excellent journalist, is almost as famous in NFL circles for punching Patriots cornerback Raymond Clayborn in a locker room once upon a time. You never know what might stir from that DNA.

TerryblogUSE

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “McDonough’s strong opinions will help Cards”

1. By SteveG on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Another sign of the strong front office that is being developed in Cards. land….

Loving it!

2. By Kauaicardsfan on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Nice follow up story Darren, especially the locker room incident! Too bad there weren’t any footage of it! Would have loved to see that !!!
    If it happened today, the footage would have gone viral :)

3. By D on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Just don’t take him to a seafood place in town, doesn’t compare to Beantown.

I hope Larry is “working” B Albert over in HI. You know free agent seeds get planted around the pool or beverage locations….

4. By Andy Kw on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

That was a great higher in replacement of Jason Licht but now we have cap room to worry about so here are my suggestions that should all be completed (Original Contracts when signed):
    -Restructure WR Larry Fitzgerald’s contract (8yr $128.5 million)
    -Restructure DT Darnell Dockett’s contract (6yr $56 million)
    -Restructure OG Daryn Colledge’s contract (5yr $27.5 million)
    -Restructure QB Carson Palmer’s contract (3yr $26 million)
    -Restructure CB Jerraud Powers’ contract (3yr $10.5 million)
    -Trade/Cut RB Ryan Williams (4yr $5 million)
    -Trade/Cut LB Jaspar Brinkley (2yr $3.5 million)
    ————————————————————————————————————————Resign (My suggestions on the contracts):
    -LB Karlos Dansby (2yr $10.5 million)
    -LB Marcus Benard (2yr $2 million)
    -DE Frostee Rucker (2yr $2.5 million)
    -TE Jim Dray (1yr $1 million)
    -K Jay Feely (2yr $2 million)
    Team should still consider: WR Andre Roberts, OLB Matt Shaughnessy, OT Eric Winston, RB Rashard Mendenhall, C Mike Gibson, CB Bryan McCann (I am hopeful of Roberts’ return)
    ————————————————————————————————————————
    Sign:
    -WR Andre Caldwell (DEN) -(2yr $2.5million, might be our new slot WR)
    -DE Michael Bennett (SEA) -(2yr $4million, convert to starting OLB)
    -CB Walter Thurmond (SEA) -(2yr $2.5 million, challenge for Nickel CB)
    -RB Donald Brown (IND): – (1yr contract, split reps with Ellington)
    -SS Danny McCray (DAL) -(1yr contract, could team up with J. Bethel on ST)
    -RB Leon Washington (TEN) -(1yr contract, should be our KR)
    -DE Antonio Smith (HOU) -(1yr contract, would be a nice reserve for DL)

5. By Chuck 1 on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Which region did he scout?

Appears to be an excellent hire

6. By Lo on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Do we know the scout who scouted Ellington out? The guy should be sent to every College:P

7. By Hammy on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Great hire! Its like having Richard Sherman in the front office. Honesty is the best policy when it comes to talent evaluation. Seems like he should be around for awhile. Wonder if anyone replaced McDonough’s old position?

8. By Kurt on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

sounds like a perfect fit

9. By johnnybluenose on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

too bad will mcdonough never met richard sherman.

10. By Drake on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Keim needs to get his ass in gear. What’s he doing?

11. By Chuck 1 on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

OOPS!!!
    If I had clicked the link in the blog, I’d have learned that McDonough was the Eastern Region Scout.

12. By Saul J. Sanchez on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Two badasses in the same house , I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely light years ahead
    of our former head office , I envision GREAT things for this club !

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2014 | Reply

Chuck –

RE: Area

He was the eastern regional scout.

14. By Dynosoar on Jan 24, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw,

Haha, your wish list is grander than my children’s Christmas list. I love it. I can only think of one change I would make to your list (other than I haven’t looked at contract numbers or cap room, so I have no idea if your contract numbers are good or not).

Good list. To all, have a good weekend.

I’ll be wearing my Cardinals jerseys next week, I don’t want anyone to think I want anyone else to win the Super Bowl. I know our Cardinals won’t win, but I still want them to. Should be a real good game.

AFC and Manning represent old school line of scrimmage general and pocket passer. NFC and Wilson represents the new school of Michael Vick style QB’s.

Old School vs. New School. It’ll be a good game, but I don’t care who wins.

I knew Keim would have a plan for his staff just as he has a plan for our players. We’re in good hands. Home Field advantage in next years Super Bowl would be awesome!

15. By Chuck 1 on Jan 24, 2014 | Reply

If Keim would have been more of a “street fighter” when he was an underling to Graves, would he have been able to help Graves and Whiz not make some of their mistakes???

16. By Chuck 1 on Jan 24, 2014 | Reply

Does anyone think that there might be a food fight or a brawl occur at the McDonough’s Thanksgiving dinner with all of those “strong opinions” present? :)

2. Jan 24, 2014: 1/24 Arizona Cardinals news: Evaluating the new VP FEATURED POST | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog