Cards sign kicker – but not “Kickalicious”

Posted by Darren Urban on January 29, 2014 – 2:55 pm

The Cardinals had a handful of kickers in to try out a couple of weeks ago, including YouTube sensation Havard “Kickalicious” Rugland. They finally signed one — but it wasn’t Rugland. The Cards got a futures deal done with Southern Mississippi product Danny Hrapmann, who spent a couple of training camps with the Pittsburgh Steelers and who has also kicked for New Orleans of the Arena Football League. Hrapmann made all six of his field goals in the 2012 preseason and didn’t get a chance to try one last season.

As of now, Hrapmann is the lone placekicker the Cardinals have under contract for 2014, since veteran Jay Feely is set to become a free agent in March. It is no surprise the Cardinals signed at least one other kicker besides Feely. The question will become if Feely is also brought back, and/or if the Cards look in any other direction.

HrapmannUSE

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Cards sign kicker – but not “Kickalicious””

1. By George on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

What is it with kickers that so many are (relatively) midget sized, and in this case
    underweight too? As a last chance tackler I shudder to think how effective they can be … kicking ability aside.

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

George —

RE: Hrapmann

I heard the kid has a pretty big leg, regardless of his size.

3. By lolo on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

Really Cardinals are just playing favorites now..more and more Steeler players. Really hope they aren’t letting their Biased views stop us from signing the best talent

4. By Marcus on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

I was really pulling for Rugland. Maybe he didn’t have that deep kick power. Who knows? What I do in fact know is that whomever is kicking off for the Redbirds next year needs to be a touchback machine since no one outside of Bethel likes to tackle on special teams.

5. By George on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

That does not address the point of concern in the second sentence.
    NFL.com has his weight as 158 lbs, making him look like a Barney Fife if challenged by a DB or CB on a pick-six run-back. No amount of attitude could make up for that.

Yes, the pros outweigh the con, but still . . .

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

George —

RE: Pick Six

If your kicker is on the field during a pick-six, you’ve got bigger issues than your kicker’s size.

7. By Ldubya on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

George-

RE: Pick Six

I think we have bigger issues than a pick six return. I’m concerned with him rounding home to score three points, how can he play above the rim at 5’8??

8. By shannon robinson on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

This guy is like a preseason present. There’s more on the way. Do I have time to put on my seatbelt?

9. By George on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren:

Sorry, poor wording. I meant the sort of situation where an(y) opponent is headed for a TD, with only the kicker left to save the day. Big leg or not, I would hope our kicker had the physical attributes to make a sure stop – but really, at 158 lbs. ??

It is nice to be kept up to date on events, and for that, thanks.

10. By Steve on Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren: What is your prediction for the Super Bowl? I know you have said that you generally root for the underdog so that must mean your pulling for the Seahawks?

11. By Lifetime Fan on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

I think George is suggesting that with that size Hrapmann would make an ideal running back ;)

12. By Curt Hebert on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

Have seen Hrapmann play and he has a big leg and good foot speed. Saw him run about 40 yards on a fake punt. Cards need a big-accurate leg, not a linebacker! When you need 3 points the leg is everything and that is what kickers are for, I think Hrapmann fits the bill and as a young kicker, has lots of years to do so. Also like what he has shown in NFL preseason games. Kid is spot on and can kick it out of the stadium!

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Super Bowl

In this case, I would like to see Peyton get another ring.

And I also disagree that the Broncos should be favored.

14. By Eazy E on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

We need to resign Feely of course. This guy ain’t making the roster I’m sorry. Jay’s the man!

15. By Dynosoar on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

shannon robinson,

enjoy the ride.

16. By eli on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

they should get him because feely is week

17. By ored on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

churning in the desert,more to come.

18. By CORMAC on Jan 31, 2014 | Reply

Feely, Feely, Feely!

19. By Dr. G. on Jan 31, 2014 | Reply

Darren – 3 exclamations marks are appropriate for your pick-6 comment…!!!