Chronicling rehab for “Tenacious” Mathieu

Posted by Darren Urban on January 30, 2014 – 8:01 am

His rehab will be lengthy. Tyrann Mathieu knew that from the start. But Mathieu also has been good enough to let our cameras in and record that journey, in an occasional series titled “Tenacious” that will debut next week on azcardinals.com.

Mathieu is doing well in these early stages. I happened to walk in with him earlier this week and “walk” is the key term. The last time I had seen him he climbed out of a SUV and worked hard to balance himself before pulling the crutches from the car. Now, Mathieu can walk, albeit with a slight limp. He’s far from the finish line, but every race has a starting point, right? General Manager Steve Keim already professed his belief in a rapid Honey Badger recovery. I know that’s what Mathieu is counting on, and while there is no way to predict exactly how the rehab will go, well, I guess — with “Tenacious” — we can watch exactly how it all plays out. Up close and personal.

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Chronicling rehab for “Tenacious” Mathieu”

1. By LadyBird04 on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

I fell in love with this young man this year, his tenacity on the field, his modest manner in every interview, his knowledge of the game, his enthusiasm on the field, his joy at seeing teammates made good plays – good for you Tyrann.

His re-hab will be another challenge and one I sincerely hope is rapid and complete. I want to watch him wearing Cardinal Red for many years to come.

2. By SteveG on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

Well, so much for the “he might get in trouble with all that spare time on his hands”..meme.

Actually has become a VERY serious young pro in short order….Bravo to him, his support team and family.

3. By Eazy E on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

I been loved the man even through the weed/marijuana issues, his character is shining through nicely. Honey Badger coming back and gone take what’s his because he don’t care.

4. By hummer53 on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

Love this idea. Thanks to the web team and Tyrann for sharing this journey. It will be something to look forward to through the long summer off season.

5. By perry matherne on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply

Dear tyrann,i am so honored to have you on the Arizona cardinals.Being from galliano,Louisiana,i’ve been a cardinals fan all my life & people tell me,well what you’re not a saints fan,i flat out tell them no,i have a choice bubba.This is AMERICA BOY.

6. By roger bradley on Jan 31, 2014 | Reply

You have come a long way young man. I know what you are going through. I have several injuries that I am working on from the military. Keep your chin up and keep proving all the nay sayers wrong. It is a long road but one that can be traveled. Lean on your family and your team mates! I am very proud of you and I am glad to be able to watch your rehab. Stay strong and believe! Can’t wait to see you on the field again. Take care and God bless you.

7. By Big Ken on Jan 31, 2014 | Reply

The kid has the heart of a lion.

8. By jfig on Jan 31, 2014 | Reply

This should have been called “TYnacious!”

9. By Sean44 on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Mathieu has an impressive highlight reel for his rookie season. Lots of good plays, but my favorite is the one he does the spin move on a offensive line men running out for the screen, and fakes out the RB and the Guard and smacks the running back into the ground pretty hard.

10. By AzDesertRat1953 on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Hang in there HB, You have ALL the Cardinals and the Fans waiting for your return.

THANKS for letting us, the fans, see how “Tenacious” you really are!

GO CARDS!!!

11. By cardsalltheway on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Put him on IR for the first half of the season no matter what, you don’t want to rush him back.