Keim addresses Michael Sam situation

Posted by Darren Urban on February 14, 2014 – 9:14 am

If you are an NFL or even a sports follower, you have had to be living under a rock not to know that Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC, came out Sunday publicly as a gay man. It spawned countless articles/talk show conversations/tweets on the subject, what it meant, and how the NFL might accept Sam as he enters the NFL draft.

Sam, at 6-1 1/2 and 260 pounds, would project to an outside linebacker in the Cards’ system. Cardinals general manager Steve Keim, during an appearance on the “Doug and Wolf Show” Friday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7, was asked how the Cardinals would interpret the Sam news when it came to evaluating him.

“Let me say this, and I want to make this clear,” Keim said. “Every player we evaluate for the upcoming draft, we judge them on their physical skill-set, we judge them on their football character, we judge them on their ability to learn the (playbook), and we judge them on their medical history. Race, religion, sexual orientation, those aspects are never even brought into the process. What I am concerned about is, ‘How talented is Michael Sam?’ That’s number one. Is he a good teammate? Is he good in the locker room? Is he smart? Is he competitive? And what does his medical history look like?

“If he is a good teammate, and he’s a good person, he’s going to be fine in your locker room. You teammates are going to accept him because of the person and player he is. Not those other things. We will look at Michael Sam no differently than any other player in this draft.”

Whether the Cardinals go after Sam is to be determined. I don’t know much about Sam the football player, but MMQB.com did a very good and extensive video breakdown of his season and made it sound like, as a player, he would be a project. The Cardinals, don’t forget, already have one of those at outside linebacker, after drafting Alex Okafor last season and then having Okafor lose most of his rookie season after an injury. They also are on the constant lookout for depth at that position. Forget Sam’s big announcement. The Cards need draft picks that can contribute — which goes to the point Keim was making.

Personally, I don’t see why Sam’s orientation would be an issue. It obviously hasn’t held him back up until this point. Why would that change now?

SamAPshotSIZED

Tags: , ,

93 Responses to “Keim addresses Michael Sam situation”

1. By Matt on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

“Is he good in the locker room?” Scary thought

2. By Stefan on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

I’m living in a country (The Netherlands) where homosexuality is widely accepted. I am however still waiting for that soccer player doing the exact same thing as Michael Sam. Lots of respect for him.

3. By Smith on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Darren, As an openly gay man yourself I’d like to know your personal perspective on this. Do you see this also as a positive for fans among the gay and lesbian community?

4. By Luke on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

No GM will come out and say anything different to what Keim said. If they felt strongly that they would not want a gay player on their team they would not come out to speak at all.

The most interesting debate about Sam is not whether he would affect the dressing room or not but whether he is a hand-in-the-dirt 3-4 DE like he was at Mizzou or an outside linebacker, where scouts think he isn’t mobile enough in space.

It’s clear we need an outside linebacker but with so much uncertainty regarding the position, i.e. how much 55 has left in the tank, how productive Acho/Okafor can be after season-ending injuries or Alexander who was primarily special teams, it will be interesting to see if we target one via FA/draft or let things play out.

What is your opinion?

5. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Smith —

RE: Just sad

Not that it matters, but I have been married for almost 20 years to my wife and have two kids.

And I was secretly hoping that the post wouldn’t draw the anonymous slams at gay people, no matter how nuanced. Yet clearly, there have already been a couple, including yours. You must be very proud.

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Luke —

RE: OLB

I assume you mean what is my opinion on the status of the Cards at outside linebacker. I think you are right, that Abraham is near the end and they still could use a young pass rusher that can be effective long-term. I don’t know what’s on the free-agent market buy my guess is the best way to address it is through the draft.

7. By Andy Kw on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

If Dee Ford is available in the second round, I say we go for him and groom him into our Starting Outside Linebacker. This guy is athletic and a beast when it comes to tackling. I am hoping every team underestimates him so that the Arizona Cardinals can draft him with the 2nd Round Pick. I wouldn’t mind at all seeing Dee Ford as our first round pick.
    -We could trade up to move higher in the second round (trading our second round pick & fourth round pick),
    – We could also trade our first round pick to move down and obtain other picks as well (trade our 1st round pick to get another 1st round & an addition 4th Round Pick)
    -Trade our 5th and 6th round picks for a 4th Round Pick:

If what I say is true (my prediction):
    1.) (25) TE Jace Amaro (Texas Tech) -From San Diego
    -Bruce Arians loves his Tight Ends and this guy fits the bill. His 6’5” frame and his great hands makes this guy a worthy first round pick. He set the NCAA record for the most receiving yards by at Tight End.
    2.) DE Dee Ford (Auburn) -From Oakland
    -He is fast for a DE and will be converted to OLB. His 6’2” 243Ibs might be a little undersized for an OLB but looking at past history, undersized OLBs are successful. He could be the replacement for OLB John Abraham.
    3.) SS Deone Buchanon (Washington State)
    -He is a hard hitter. This guy is atheltic, has a long frame at 6’1”, and his awareness in the game is phenomenal. This team needs to build for the future and this guy can definitely make the future bright for this team.
    4.) OT Seantrel Henderson (Miami (Fla.)) -From Minnesota
    -He is the most underrated Offensive Tackle as a 2014 Draft prospect. He is 6’7” and has too much potential. He would provide nice depth and could be a future starter. I expect this offseason for the Arizona Cardinals to find a veteran Starting Left Tackle. Henderson could challenge Nate Potter and Bradley Sowell for a spot behind whatever veteran we sign.
    4.) QB A.J. McCarron (Alabama) -From San Diego
    -I am not sure if he will drop this far down in the draft but he will be worth it. He has leadership capabilities and is way more talented that QB Ryan Lindley. Lindley is improving but I think Arians & Keim want to move out of the Whisenhunt projects.

8. By jasonc on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Here’s what I know about Sam. He was the defensive player of the year in the SEC which is lauded as the biggest, fastest, toughest conference in college football. He had 11.5 sacks on the season and the only game I was able to watch of his he dismantled the Florida offensive line and had a three sack game.

I thought he would be a good pick for us during the season because of his production in college and he looked like a high motor player. I started hearing about his possible inability to play in space and when I think about our defense last season…it’s not like Shaunessy is the most fluid athlete in space and he started most of the year for us.

Even if he isn’t right for us or if we just don’t get the opportunity to draft him, he is going to get drafted and kudos to him for having the courage to be honest about and proud of who he is a person.

9. By Rick M on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

And so begins the downfall of the NFL.

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Rick M —

RE: “Downfall”

How so?

11. By UK cards fan on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Why are there so many bigots on this comment board? You are the same type of people that would’ve condemned the MLB for allowing Jackie Robinson to “play ball with the white folk.” This is real progress for the NFL and society as a whole.

12. By GWitt on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

If some of you think there aren’t any gay players in the NFL already, you are sadly mistaken.

13. By georgiebird on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

the first “woody” in the locker room and all this pc talk will seem a bit foolish.

14. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: PC

Really?

Smh.

15. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Nothing to contribute of substance but I did laugh out loud twice, OMG! I thought Smith was teasing you Darren, fwiw.. but what do I know..

16. By PotAsh on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

What does his sexual orientation have anything to do with his ability to do his JOB? Either he is a productive player or he isn’t.

Jon Stewart did a great bit on this:

17. By Sam on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Matt, Smith and georgiebird,

You are all probably are just jealous that you don’t have the guts to come out of the closet. I am sure there are gay players already in the NFL you idiots. I bet none of you would have the guts to say anything Like that to that kid because he would knock your pathetic heads off.

18. By georgiebird on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

I am not against gays in any sport. Just think they should be on the team in even numbers.

19. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Even numbers

Under your logic, straight men and women should never work together either. Do I have that correct?

20. By Dr. G. on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Smith – Yours must be the most illiterate/ignorant post ever on the Cards blog without swear words.

21. By Dr. G. on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW – You are one of the first to agree that McCarron has some good upside. He will be a surprise to the teams that have to oppose him? He has most of what it takes to develop in the NFL.. And his famous girlfriend will be in the stands…not that matters to anyone! QB is still a crap shoot for the most part…

22. By Corgon on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

The problem is not the orientation, but the announcement. I mean not sure a problem, but why? Why now? If ha want to be a first ballot hall of famer who happens to be gay and he acts like this ok. But if he want to be a guy in the NFL who’s openly gay….well it’s ok too, but i don’t really want to see him in Cardinals red. And this could cause him several spots on the draft day. Attitude man!

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Corgon —

RE: Why now

The big reason he said he announced it was because so many people already knew. At some point, you want to make sure you are the one who owns your story — not other people — so it doesn’t become about innuendo, “whispers” and “anonymous sources.”

24. By UK cards fan on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I don’t know if we’re allowed to post links on here, but I think this Dallas newscaster summed up the situation as eloquently as possible. I’m sure you and many others have seen it, but for those who haven’t, it’s a must watch short video.

25. By NYCardinals on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

I don’t know anything about college players. In fact, I look at the players the Cardinals draft as a little mystery present that I get to unwrap when its written about here. Having said that, I have read what Darren and MMQB and what others here have written, and it doesn’t look like anybody thinks he is anything more than a mid-round project — at best.

That’s all I care about, because I could name a few Cardinals over the years that I was certain were gay. They were still Cardinals, and I was still a fan.

26. By Hammy on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

First off what a shame about the gay innuendos, Clearly some people are just not getting it. Michael Sam was a first team all American and recorded over 10 sacks for the year in the SEC. I commend this organization for speaking on the Michael Sam story and for speaking about his football ability and the importance of having this team win. Doesnt matter what Michael Sam likes, if he can help us win, I want him on our football team. Take a lot of heart and courage to tell the world your sexual orientation knowing that you are about to get scrutinized for it.

27. By perry matherne on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Dear Arizona & steve kiem,say what you want being queer is not NORMAL.If you don’t believe me,ask the holy bible.

28. By joe holst on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

If he is there in he 6th round or later than nab him. They have other needs, I hope they trade down again out of the 2nd or third round and acquire draft picks. Andre Ellington was the direct result of trading down. The Rams and 49er’s have 9-10 picks and the Cards have only 6.

29. By georgiebird on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

I do believe that straight men and straight women working together is not a healthy situation. Especially when the women come to work half-naked- it’s the cause of many, many divorces in this country-just read the newspapers.
    Most guys like to fool around and all they need is a little inducement.
    But everyone has the right to a job-women, men, gays, straights, etc. etc and that’s the way it is.
    The military may feel as I do, but our views are passe. Upward and onward.

30. By Dr. G. on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

gbird – I don’t usually comment on some of your bizarre posts – I am a 1st Amendment person. But today, mere words are not appropriate to describe your thinking. I would have thought you would post something like this: “How can you take an adjective, add an s, and come up with a noun.?” But that may cause you to think, so I’ll let you off on that one… outside the box for you?

31. By georgiebird on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

@UK Cards fan,
    He was very eloquent. But he was talking mainly about black NFL players (except for big Ben). He was eloquent but not PC.

32. By Cory on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

I love all these mindless sheep on here, who will never have an independent thought in their lives, condemning any comment that isn’t pro-gay. I saw no one call anyone names or flame them for being gay. We have a right to think and talk how we would like. I personally do not like or agree with the idea of being gay, will not be forced into agreeing with it, and should be respected equally for that opinion. if you don’t agree with that then you are in fact the “bigot”.

33. By ariphin on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Keim’s statement just reinforces my confidence in the team. Not that it matters, but as a fan he’s earned my trust when it comes to talent evaluation. So its good to know, that if we pass on him its only because we felt there was a different player better suited to help our team.

As a side note, coming out early was the best way to handle it. At the very least, it should deafen the media circus a bit once training camp rolls around.

34. By Credit Card on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Let me understand this right, Ray Lewis was at the scene of a drug deal that went horribly wrong whereby two people were shot and killed. Lewis’ gun was used in the murder, but claimed someone else used it — the guy who took the “hit” and is in prison — oddly his family received a vast sum of money — I guess pure circumstance. This is OK and hushed by the NFL in a Nano second.

Belichick has been sited for spying. His won loss record for teams practicing outside is godlike. His won / loss record against teams practicing inside is pedestrian — this too is hushed by the NFL.

Performance enhancing drugs are not tested in this league — for god sakes why? All other sports including amateur sports test for PED’s and on a random basis.

Mitchell Sam has never played one snap in the NFL — who knows he might be a great player, or perhaps never even play in the NFL. Who knows.

Why the media doesn’t check into and demand that the NFL has this dual standards for topics like Lewis, Belichick, and PEDs. Why us fans don’t demand from the NFL to take a higher road and prosecute criminals and have our entertainment be fair and measured for fairness.

This is not news worthy about Mitchell Sams. Real news is getting to the bottom of drug users, why the NFL doesn’t test for HGH, why the NFL turns its head about spying, cheating, and wrong doing.

Fans and media should pick a higher road, and demand the NFL does the same. I can careless about race, sex orientation, religious beliefs etc… Can a player perform, and be a good representative in the community.

35. By steve on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Darren: So many players, coaches and anonymous GMs are saying the right things, that being gay is not an issue IF a guy can play, yet Kerry Rhodes apparently cant get a job anymore in the NFL after photos of him and another man surfaced on the internet. I’m not convinced that the NFL is really ready for a gay player despite despite the supposed tolerance.

36. By tyman on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Kind of a silly subject when it comes to the Locker Room.
    A lot of people are like “oh the showers”
    He is open, so what. What about the guys that hide it in shame. How good of a player is Sam anyways to garnish all of this media attention? It’s probably a great PR move in his part.
    It seems that being gay is more celebrated and anyone who highly criticizes gays is demonized. Each to their own believes, but I don’t see a problem as long as the guy has a good rep of teammates being comfortable around him. Like crazy gay flamboyant dude might not work out, but could make for some interesting trash talking on the field :)

37. By Tucson Card on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

I respect a person who comes as they are. As long as people respect each other, their won’t be any issues.

38. By Chuck 1 on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Smith,

Crawl back in your hole.

39. By mal on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Anybody who is a parent knows that your kids are born right out of the womb with an individual personality that is just their own.

I am the father of 2 sons. I could tell that there was something different about my youngest boy from about age 3. I always wondered, but I raised my 2 sons equally in the same fashion — I took them hunting, fishing, camping, and taught them to work hard, be tough, and never whine. They began martial arts training at age 6.

When my youngest boy started high school, I asked an openly gay guy I knew at work when did he first realize that he was gay. He said he was 15, and he then went on to explain that his first boyfriend in highschool was the star linebacker on the football team. He said it was so funny becuz his linebacker boyfriend was the biggest baddest dude in school who would knock heads off on the football field, but nobody else knew that he was gay.

Well, sure enough, when my youngest boy turned 15, he came out. What was I supposed to do — stop loving him? He was still my son. I was so proud that he had the guts to be open about it. It’s tough enough already just being a normal teenager, trying to fit into a pressure-filled world, but it took courage for him to face head-on all the hateful mean sh– he was going to put up with at high school. And it wasnt just words — people tried to beat him up, too.

Anyhow, I am here to say that most people dont choose to be gay. It’s genetic. My son was born this way. It’s in our DNA. It’s like if someone would try telling me that I should stop finding women attractive — it’s ridiculous — I cant change that, and neither can gays. It’s that simple.

I salute Michael Sam. This kid is brave, and honest. Those are virtues. He should be proud.

40. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Perry —

RE: Normal

If we’re going by the bible, you really need to increase your list. This is a good read, from a religious woman, on the subject: http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/literalist-gluttony

41. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Cory —

RE: Names

You weren’t reading some of the comments very carefully then.

And you are right, you shouldn’t be forced to change your opinion. But along those lines, why is it OK to say an openly gay man can’t be open? Why should he (or she) have to conform to your opinion when you shouldn’t have to change yours?

42. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: “Ready”

You might be right. But I suppose, for the most part, that was for Sam to decide as he goes into the league. He knew what his decision to be open might create. He chose to try and make it work.

And let’s make this clear — it isn’t that they aren’t ready for a gay player, because statistics alone say there are already gay players and we know for a fact there have been gay players. It’s that they must deal with someone who is open about it.

43. By Tbru on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

No one cares. If the guy can play football, no one cares. The media just wants to make a story out of nothing. If The Bible is the measuring stick, isn’t every NFL player that plays on Sunday guilty of a sin?

44. By UK cards fan on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

I can’t believe some of you are defending your Gay bashing stances with a 1500 year old bed time story. Wake up.

45. By UK cards fan on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

And georgie it’s rather unbelievable that you decided to pull the race card, the irony is delicious. They are all criminals that happen to be black, you have a very serious correlation/causation problem going on in your reasoning. You are the racist one for implying their race to have anything to do with the crimes they committed. 4th grade logic at work.

46. By Fernando on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

@ mal We are not interested in your shortcomings as a parent. That “genetics” argument is hysterical and a bunch of bs conjured up by the gays themselves to make their behavior seem normal and not by choice. And you are doing the same thing. Even taking out the religious aspect completely, nature itself doesn’t make genetic mistakes in a small percentage of humans. Nature made us who we are with the ability to produce. Do you see herds of gay buffalo or gay lions in the jungles? Get out of here with that nonsense.

47. By Steve on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

I’ve asked many of my gay/lesbian relatives and friends if they could picture themselves in a heterosexual relationship. Many were repulsed by the prospect and responded with “Yuck” or “That’s disgusting!”
    I’ve posed a similar question to my straight friends and relatives and they were just as repulsed by the prospect of a homosexual relationship.
    As far as “Freedom of Speech,” which of the two groups do you think has protection under the law?
    Until the Straight Community enjoys the same protection as the Gay/Lesbian Community, this issue will NEVER GO AWAY. Tolerance is an attainalbe goal; advocation of the practice is not.

48. By Darren Urban on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Freedom/Tolerance

Yet I look at a comment like Fernando’s or Cory’s and I’m thinking tolerance is the furthest thing from their mind.

As for “freedom of speech,” do you understand what that means? It means the freedom to say what you want, which is exactly what you are doing here. It doesn’t mean you won’t have people come back and want to debate or disagree with you. It just means you can state your case. “Freedom of speech” also doesn’t mean you should have carte blanche to hurl slurs at another group either.

49. By NYCardinals on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Thank you for that link on selective literalism. It was a good read.

50. By NYCardinals on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Fernado,

Don’t include me in your “we”.

51. By Cactus jeff on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Why did you write this story? I get it, all your peers are writing the same version of what you wrote, but besides “fitting in” why did you write this story?

52. By Darren Urban on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Write story

Keim commented on a legitimate question. So I wrote what he said.

You don’t see it as newsworthy? I actually had multiple people ask me last week if the Cards would consider Sam.

53. By Darren Urban on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Tbru –

RE: “No one cares”

I get your point. But I will say, when it comes to this subject, many people on both sides of the discussion care more than just how it affects football. Or see it as bigger than just a player involved in a sport. That’s just reality.

54. By Louisville Card on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Lightening rod topic that brings out the worst in people. With that being said if/when Sam enters the league how do you think the NFLPA will handle the the on field trash talking Sam will/may encounter. It helps him he’s not a lineman or a wide receiver facing off with someone, but I’m sure someone from an opposing team will talk some kind of trash to him on the field at some point.

55. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

I try to never get political or voice my religious beliefs on a cardinal board.I love talking football. But since it went this way here is my opinion.

I would say that UK Cards fan made the most offensive comment on this board.

But, I would fight and die for his right to say and believe what he wants. In America, it is so important to have freedom of speech.

I hear people everyday want to boycott businesses or people because of what they say. They want to run someone out of business because of their beliefs (ie Chick fil a). They want to prevent them from getting jobs because of color, sexual orientation or religious beliefs. From a President saying turn in people because of fishy talk to people saying Sam shouldn’t be able to play in the NFL, it seems like everyone wants to control what others think and say. We are such a controlling people.

I think Darren has done a great job of allowing people to voice their opinions, while stating his, without condemning those for their beliefs.

I think the funnest thing I heard was Colin Cowherd blasting others for judging, while he makes a living judging athletes on his radio show everyday.

My opinion,
    I am a Christian. I believe sin is wrong. I sin everyday. I want to be better and try each and every day. I believe in the Bible (or the 1500 year old fairy tale as UK puts it) . I know that I have forgiveness because of something Jesus did. Since I didn’t earn my forgiveness, who am I to judge who and how he gives his forgiveness. I know that book has many sins listed and one is being Gay. I also know that I am not the judge. I am told to do a few things. Love my neighbor and tell others about God.

So I guess what I am saying is this. It is hard enough to be the best Me that I can be. How can I take time to remove the spec in someone elses eye when I have a plank in mine. I am all for everyone’s opinions. Even if they are slurs (Christians go through that all the time). But for me, if Michael Sam is Gay, that is not my issue. If Sam was my team mate, I would treat him like everyone else. As I said on the last post, regardless of anything a player does, fans and team mates want some one who can perform and be trusted. That is what Sam has to show what he can do.

56. By Darren Urban on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Talk

Trash talk is inevitable. Don’t know what the NFLPA can do about it, quite frankly.

57. By Darren Urban on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Opinion

I am half-tempted to make yours the last word on this and just not post any more comments.

I won’t, in part for the reasons you just listed. But you summed this up nicely.

I wish people on both sides wouldn’t go overboard in comments, but then again, with such an emotional topic, I knew what was coming.

58. By BadEd on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Much to do about nothing….stirring the pot!

59. By mal on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Fernando-

It’s not becuz I’m a bad parent that my kid ended up gay. I used to think like you, and thats why I’m telling my story on here.

If you ask a gay person if they chose to be that way, they’ll laugh, and tell you “no, life is hard enough already, why choose to make it more difficult?”

Your statement ‘nature doesnt make genetic mistakes in a small pencentage of humans’ is obviously wrong becuz everybody knows not all babies are always born perfect in every way, not all identical. And it’s not just about reproduction, either — I know a guy who tried for years to start a family, and found out later he had too low a sperm count. There are women who are born sterile, too. These are straight people, but becuz of genetics,they cant have kids.

Your comparison with the animal kingdom doesnt hold up either, becuz there is all sorts of genetic variability unigue only to humans. Men can be born 4’5″ or over 7′ tall, and you dont see this kind of size variability in animals. There are no epileptic lions or left-handed buffalo, either. Cats eat their kittens — men send rockets to the moon. Humans are born with lots of stuff that doesnt compare to other animals.

You and I think those Cards cheerleaders are real hot. We cant change that. But why do we feel that way? It’s not magic, or something mysterious — it’s genetic.

So why do gays feel the way they do? It’s the same damn reason. They cant change their feelings any more than we can. If they were programmed the same as us, they couldnt just fake it or change it any more than we could.

Once you accept that, it becomes impossible to hold onto your prejudice.

60. By Cactus jeff on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Great job JTDG!

61. By Dr. G. on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – I echo your commentary. I was in defense of attacking the messenger (Darrren) here. Many of the posters are ill-informed of what they consider facts on this… and turn to mere emotional opinion from hearsay. Some examples:

Trvu – Sunday is not the Sabbath.

Perry – There are many conflicting biblical stories that need interpretation.

Fernando – Many species of animals are indeed Bi…. Nature does indeed produce genetic mistakes… e.g. deformities in varying species etc.

For those of you who like research – Did Adam indeed have 2 wives, Lillith and the Eve?

This thing can go on forever with no resolution… We are not to be the judge of things… Be well… All of you…

62. By Scott H on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

I’m not dumb or naïve enough to think that there would be no problem with a gay player in an NFL locker room. I imagine there would be because there would probably be at least a few players who would not be able to deal with it.

But that said, the REAL problem here is going to be, of course, the media. And you can see it already. The media has been ALL OVER this thing since the word go and they will keep this story front and center on a daily basis until….who knows when? And in the process, they are going to give it a much bigger life than it would have on its own. And that is a shame.

I can see players and coaches becoming real irritated real fast when cameras and microphones are being shoved in their faces every time they try to walk into / out of the facility, every time they walk onto / off the practice field, every time they go ANYWHERE or do ANYTHING.

It hasn’t even been a week since this kid made his admission and I’m sick of the endless discussion already. But…this is what you get when you have ESPN and the NFL Network on 24/7/365 and they have to have something to fill up all of their air time.

The media is going to make a situation that is already going to be difficult for this kid, his teammates, and the team that drafts him FAR worse than it should be. Yeah, some GM’s have already spoken off the record about their concerns over this. So, yes, we already know there are some “issues.” But no matter how big or small those “issues” are, we know the media is going to fan the flames just for the sake of keeping the flames going. Because as long as there are flames, it gives them something to talk about and debate until it has been discussed and debated to the saturation point and beyond one million times over.

And that is NOT what this situation needs.

63. By tyman on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Darren its just like that Matt fans vs the Matt haters back in the day.

No one wins. The fans views our their own, and the only legit wrongs are any attacks on you Darren. You’re a good reporter with a great blog and people should respect.
    Peace out.

64. By ASP on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Okay, you people are ridiculous. Well, at least most of you. Some of you need to seriously grow up and realize what time you are. There has been many gay players in the NFL, likely numerous in the NFL right now, I find it funny how many of you fail to realize that. You can’t tell me that you really think Sam is the first gay NFL player. Grow up people and accept people for who they are. What a shame to see this from Cardinal fans. You make me sick.

65. By tyman on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Could Keim have made any different response? Would admitting to looking at Sam different because he’s gay be discrimination? Lots of legal implications to asking these questions. GM’s across the league should all have the same answer on the record, but off the record…who knows.

66. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

I still think Smith baited all of you. He used Darren as his foil as Darren is obviously not openly gay and yet guessed Darren would take the bait. Lol. Notice Smith never responded. He just lit that little bag of poop, threw it into the chat room and is laughing at all the commotion. Ok, I admit, I’m Smith!

Lol. Not. Ha! Oh man. Lots of fun for the off season after a great woulda coulda season, no? Have a great President’s Day. Reading history at times like these, especially about past Presidents, a great past time.

67. By Coach K on Feb 15, 2014 | Reply

Coach K’s latest mock draft based on Keim interview and my gut feeling on FA.

Round 1- Morgan Moses, OT, Va. (Long arms-great feet, a dancing bear)

Round 2- Martavious Bryant, WR, Clemson (Legitimate deep threat)

Round 3- Craig Loston, SS, LSU (Heavy hitter with size and speed)

Round 4- Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke (Dukes best playmaker – instincts)

Round 5- George Uko, DT, USC (Potential to learn behind Dockett)

Round 6- Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon (Drug troubles in his past. But Cardinals know how to deal with these guys). A steal here if he buys in like Honey Badger did.

Free agents- bring in two young kickers to compete.

68. By UK cards fan on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

I didn’t mean to offend John. I understand many people, judging by the rating of my comment, are Christian here. I was for the majority of my life because it is how I was raised, I’m sure you were too. I just wanted others to realize many people use this book written by several individuals a long time ago to justify homophobia. It is also a book that people throughout history have used to argue for slavery, sexism, racism, and genocide. If this is a book we use to find our moral compass, we are in deep trouble. You can cherry pick many nice verses out of the Bible, Quran, Hadith, whichever Holy Book you choose.

69. By johnnybluenose on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Michael Sam is a football player who is openly game. This is newsworthy so it is only natural that people like Keim would be asked to comment upon it and it is only natural that Darren report the comments. I really did not think Michael Sam coming out was a big deal and I honestly have been taken aback, almost shocked by some of the comments I have read on this blog today. It matters not one bit to me whether someone is gay or straight but it clearly matters a great deal to some of you. You are all entitled to your opinion and you can share your thoughts if you want to. I have been reading and participating in this blog for several years and, except for Darren, I have never met any of you. But I have kind of formed an opinion about some of you over the years, the regular posters, and I would sometimes think it would be nice to meet and talk football and have a few laughs together. Not any more. Not after some of the things I have just read. I did not think Michael Sam would have a difficult time coming to the NFL. If the comments here accurately reflect the attitudes that he can expect to find in whatever locker room he ends up in then think I was very wrong.

70. By cardsalltheway on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

“Are you married”? I doubt that is a very popular question asked to players because NFL teams usually do pretty in depth research on players and finding out if someone is married isn’t that difficult. However, that question in and of itself is discriminatory during the job interview process. But didn’t our previous coach ask any possible players during the player interview process…”Do you have a girlfriend”?

If so, then I gotta wonder about this Keim statement…”Race, religion, sexual orientation, those aspects are never even brought into the process.”

I usually tell people to never say “never” unless it’s absolutely true because it either sounds unbelievable or stupid and sometimes both.

71. By erik on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Holy cow! I can’t believe what I am reading on here! The comments are normally so positive.

If any of you have ever been in a locker room, you will know that guys will tease each other about anything personal. But at the end of the day, if you are a part of that team and you can play, all of your teammates will have your back. It is a total non issue!!!!

I appreciate your post on this, Darren. But I really think the only reason this will be an issue for any team is because the blood-sucking jackals we refer to as the media will NEVER let this go and they will constantly harass whatever team chooses him.

Are all you people with the negative comments really going to root against him if the Cards pick him?! C’mon man!

72. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

UK cards fan,

“I don’t mean to rant, but I think if you hold beliefs based on zero evidence that involve demeaning and devaluing other individuals, you should absolutely be criticized.”

You just stated that if I dont think like you, I should be criticized. wow.

You have a right to think homosexuality is acceptable and others have a right to think it is wrong. That is true open thinking. We all don’t need (or should) think the same.So many people think being open minded is going with one way of thought and then condemn those who don’t think that way.

Unfortunately, there are people all over this world that want to impose your beliefs on to others. Somehow, you have discovered the truth and if someone thinks a different way, they are idiots believing in a fantasy.

This kind of thinking has lead to 100,000’s of Christians being murdered each year around the world. 52 nations have banned the Bible and will put you in jail or have you executed for having a copy of your so called fairy tale.

As for those using the bible to fit their beliefs of hate, people can make anything fit what they are arguing by distorting a verse here or there without taking in the whole chapters. The crusades were attempts to gain riches and power, not spread Jesus teachings.

I could take the Lil Mermaid to say that you can only find true happiness if you conform to the Prince. Those who don’t conform to the Prince should be banned.

Just because many have perverted the bible to fit their needs doesn’t mean that the book isn’t true. The bible doesn’t just say homosexuality is wrong. It condemns any sexual wrongdoings. So, people who might be cheating on their wife or having sex outside of marriage , will cherry pick the homosexuality part to blast them. Because they are hypocrites, doesn’t make the word not true. This is why I choose to clean up me and my house instead of criticizing others. As I wrote above, It is hard enough to be the best Me that I can be. How can I take time to remove the spec in someone elses eye when I have a plank in mine.

But I do have one question for you. I have always wondered the answer.
    God is a fairy tale. Animals follow Darwinism. A injured animal in the pack will be left behind. The strong survive. So where does the need to help the handicapped, weak, sick and poor come from? Compassion is not something that is found in nature. I have never seen a lion say “oh this baby gazelle’s mom is right there, I wont take you down.”
    When a baby pup with a defect is born, the mom will push it away.
    Yet we see acts of humans protecting others, giving up their lives for others.
    Where does that come from?

73. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Coach K

I like Morgan Moses in round one.

I know jasonc like Bryant and I know he is a deep threat (I have others I value higher for the cards).

Loston would be a solid pick. Looking at the other SS’s, I like him a lot more than Dixon.

74. By Scott H on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

ASP –

I might agree with you about the need for acceptance. But perhaps it is YOU who needs to recognize where / when you are. Is your understanding of human nature that shallow? C’mon, man. I wish everyone thought like me but…I know that they don’t. Human beings naturally tend to have strong feelings about race, religion politics, sexual orientation, etc. And is it because of the simple fact that we DO NOT all have the same views and opinions that we have the conflicts that we do. Welcome to the world we live in. You don’t have to like it. But to ignore the nature of it is foolish,

75. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Erik —

RE: Media

I find it humorous that the media is scapegoated here. Not just on this subject.

Folks, the media wouldn’t write/report on some of this stuff if it wasn’t consumed by you, the fan. As soon as you all out there don’t care, the media will stop reporting it. I promise you that. But clearly, people do care.

76. By jasonc on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Coach K & JTDG-

I like Bryant and think he is an interesting prospect if he has the speed that is being reported, but I never said he was my top prospect. Brandin Cooks is probably the best speed WR after Sammy Watkins (and I think Sammy’s advantage will be his size not his skill) both of these guys were the top weapons on their teams and were able to produce despite defenses scheming against them. I think that Herron and Bryant are comparable targets and if you have your choice I’d take the 6’5 guy over the 5’9 guy if the speed was comparable.

Justin Ellis is guy I think everyone should have on their radar for the Cardinals in the middle rounds. He is 6’2 340 and in the one video I watched against Southern Miss he showed the obvious ability as a double team block eater nose tackle but also the athleticism to penetrate and push the pocket.

77. By Dr. G. on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren – ’tis come the time to put this to rest… Additional incendiary commentary or defensive statements will not prove fruitful or informative… A good day to all our Cards Fans…

78. By Scott H on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren –

I hear you. Problem is, when you say “people,” are you referring to everyone? No, you are not. Trust me when I tell you, I really don’t care. Maybe I am not the majority. But I also don’t think I ‘m alone. I really DO NOT want to have this put in front of me every time I turn around. But I turn on ESPN and there it is. I turn on NFL Network and there it is. Just got the new issue of Sports Illustrated the other day and there it is, right on the cover. I’m not looking for any discussion on this because I really don’t care. But if you live and breathe and you get out of bed in the morning, can you avoid it? No. You can’t. Why? Because the media does not let you escape.

If you are going to turn on a radio, a TV, or a computer during the course of a day, you will be subjected to this. The alternative is to sit in a closet all day. Some days, I would love to! But since I cannot do that, I am subjected to it even though I really don’t care to be.

79. By cardsalltheway on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

“I find it humorous that the media is scapegoated here.”

I don’t think NFL players on any team that might draft Michael Sam(I don’t think any team will draft him in rounds 1-7) should be asked by reporters…”How do you like Michael Sam in the locker room?” but they will ask anyway. Now if a player says he doesn’t wanna share the locker room with Michael Sam then it’s game but asking other players is out of bounds.

Are you standing up for Foxnews and CNN too?

Does the NFL reporters or yourself keep stats on what the fan likes to read? Please show us the results, or don’t we want or care about that? I don’t believe the fan or average citizen cares more about trivial reporting than the real thing. You sound like you have little faith in the fan here…
    “Folks, the media wouldn’t write/report on some of this stuff if it wasn’t consumed by you, the fan.”

However, if you type into google search “the NFL is a m…” ~ it comes up “monopoly.”

If you type “Aljazeera is r…” ~ it comes up with “real news,” “reliable,” and “reputable.”

Try typing “NFL reporting is r…” and see what you get!

80. By Dr. G. on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – If Keim doesn’t get an OT in FA, Moses would be good, but a little early according to his draft analysis. CYRUS KOUANDJIO looks to be right where the Cards could get him…an impressive man on paper…if Zack Martin is not still there…
    I still like the stretch TE Amaro for the first pick (a bit early) at 20 if we get a FA OT. I think our #52 pick will be pivotal depending on how we handle free agency…will make better sense when Keim signs some FA’s. He demonstrated acting early except for Dansby last year.

81. By Maury on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Darren, you really get a kick out of starting controversy don’t you? You must be so proud.

82. By UK cards fan on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Well I did not wish to pursue this further, but I will comment to clear some things up I suppose.

A) “You just stated that if I dont’ think like you, I should be criticized. wow.”
    I think you should be criticized if what you believe involves belittling someone or calling someone wrong for something they have no choosing over. Homosexuals do not choose to be attracted to the same sex. When did you decide to be straight? Could you wake up one morning and decide you like men today? Christian ideology here is completely destructive of critical reasoning.

B) “Imposing beliefs on others” That is exactly what I am arguing against. Of course you can believe homosexuality is wrong, you are entitled to that opinion. You may also believe that it is wrong to be of another skin color or race. I won’t stop you unless you interfere with basic human rights, so as long as you keep those beliefs to yourself, you have no problem with me.

C) The teachings of the Catholic/Christian church throughout history have led to the death and suffering of millions of people, and continue to do so today. In Africa it is taught that aids is bad, very bad, but not nearly as bad as condoms, or not bad in the same way. This is the same church that invoked the crusades, the inquisition, and was silent during Hitler’s final solution. Don’t tell me that the ones who believe in Christ are always the innocent here, it is constant ideological warfare and has been for a long, long time. It is awful when anyone is killed or persecuted for their beliefs, and the fact that you derived that idea from my statements is outlandish.

D) On perverting the Bible
    No matter which versions you look at, many verses in the bible are ABSOLUTELY clear on encouraging murder, slavery, genocide and mutilation. Just pick up and read Deuteronomy all the way through. I took a 4 month course that focused on an exegesis of this book and the God of the Old Testament is nothing more than an evil, jealous, murderous maniac. If you are to argue for the infallibility of the Bible, you can’t throw any of this out.

E) Where does compassion come from?
    You act like before moses received the 10 commandments on Mount Sinai people were running around raping and torturing each other. While the human species was evolving people grew up in small groups and being nice to someone was a way of achieving reciprocation from them. There are evidences of compassion in the animal kingdom when these animals are closer in intelligence to humans. There are many books and anthropologic studies on where compassion comes from and why it is seemingly only a Primate impulse, I would recommend reading them.

83. By Chuck 1 on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Who cares what Jon Stewart did?

84. By Coach K on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for the feedback John. I felt I had to get back to football as this gay thing was getting a little long. My 2 cents on the subject is, I don’t believe gay people need to come out. I think what people do in their bedroom is their private business and nobody really cares, as long as the person is a good person and a good player. Why do people feel compelled to come out? Why make a scene. Just live you life as you choose and do your job. This entire Sam issue is used by the media to arouse conflict and opinion and I think its sad. Mr. Sam should just play football and mind his own business. The entire subject is stupid. Next we will gave players coming out confessing they play with barbie dolls. Nobody cares! Just play football.

85. By Sean Kirchheimer on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for opening this up to discussion.

The fear-of-the-unknown vitriol always seems to accompany important cultural changes in football. It only emphasizes what we already knew, that there are plenty of fans who wouldn’t make objective personnel decisions on a team of their own. We should feel fortunate, then, that the fans are not in charge and that our GM isn’t beholden to the same ludicrous rubric of talent evaluation that would shift focus away from a stat sheet or game tape on draft day.

86. By infitzwetrust on Feb 16, 2014 | Reply

soooo… ( awkward silence )… Who likes watermelon???

87. By Corgon on Feb 17, 2014 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Why now

The far as I know he already announced it one year ago, this is the reason why so much people know about it.
    If it’s not true, the I see your point and he had to end the conversations, but if it’s true, then again. Why?
    I don’t really care. It’s not my problem and decision and I trust in Keim’s judgement about his football character. If he’ll be good football player for him, I’m ok.
    But my opinion is, it wasn’t a smart move. But again, who cares about my opinion :)

88. By Dr. G. on Feb 17, 2014 | Reply

ScottH – Your points are well taken. A good reporter is a “reporter,” not a”news creator.” I too, am tiring of these Jonathan Martin, Michael Sam “news makers.” I do think Darren has made an effort to merely report what Keim spoke as long as the mud-slinging is kept to a low roar and civil.

These erroneous bible lessons and political views are examples as to why these two things should be contained in their own arena. Religion & Politics should be kept from the Sporting world. I always thought bitter religious and political enemies could have a good time at a football game – it is relief from the toxic air….

Some people encourage “acceptance” here. The terminology should be “tolerance.” Agree to disagree, or disagree to agree!! Just chill… as long as you keep it in your space. “The Great Experiment,” our Constitution, provides privacy and secrecy at the polls so we can voice our opinion without criticism. Here’s my religious statement, “God Bless America.!”

I’m still thinking – OT – TE – WR – QB as the most important transactions… Anyone care? …

89. By mal on Feb 17, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

When asking where compassion comes from, you cant just choose any ole animal to compare us with, like lions. Lions are solitary hunters who live loosely in small groups called a pride. They mostly depend on survival of the fittest.

Humans, however, evolved as a social animal, living in large, highly inter-dependant groups with tight-knit families. So compare humans with other social animals, like bonoboes or chimps, and there you will find they perform acts of compassion, too. The only way an individual social animal can survive is if his group survives, and groups are stronger when they can form tight bonds. Empathy, loyalty, self-sacrifice, and kindness evolve as survival tools in social groups.

Use science to answer science questions. And dont fear the answers.

90. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 17, 2014 | Reply

UK card fan,

By being on this blog and by your name, you are a cardinal fan. So am I. Let’s just leave it at that.

Dr G,
    KOUANDJIO, Moses, or Martin, we will have a pretty good tackle drop to us. I think at this point, we have to look at tackle at 20.

Amaro is a guy I really liked early. I think he could be a Jordon Cameron type of TE. It will be interesting if BA wants that. I am not sure how he perceives those TEs.

jasonc.
    Good point. We do need to look at NT. Might not be a bad pick at some point.

91. By Mike W on Feb 17, 2014 | Reply

It’s really funny, uk cards fan and mal don’t realize that they actually prove the point of the person they are trying to argue against with their replies.

92. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 17, 2014 | Reply

mal,

I have answers for you but I think most fans are tired of the argument.

The combine is around the corner, then FA and the draft.

Lets stick with that.