The Combine and asking for questions

Posted by Darren Urban on February 18, 2014 – 11:19 am

It’s that time of year again — the Scouting combine begins this week, the unofficial beginning of the 2014 season. I and a few of my azcardinals.com cohorts leave for Indianapolis tomorrow, with media access beginning Thursday. Cardinals GM Steve Keim will be at the podium Thursday morning (11:30 Indy time) and coach Bruce Arians will go Friday morning (10:15 Indy time.)

As we did last year, I will host a pair of short video chats with each man while in Indy, asking questions from the fans. If you’d like to submit a question, you can do so in the comments below, you can submit it via Twitter using the hashtag #CardsCombine or you can email me at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net. Make sure you specify for whom the question is intended.

Speaking of questions, I will host a pre-combine chat today at 1 p.m. The link is available by clicking here. Feel free to stop by and ask whatever as we are about to head hip-deep into free agency in early March.

As for Indy, it’ll be 57 degrees (allegedly) on Thursday, a somewhat surprising turn of events considering how it usually is this time of year. The interview portion starts Thursday while the on-field (and on NFL Network stuff) starts full bore on Saturday. The draft becomes the focus for a week or so, before backing off for the free agency portion of the offseason. Remember, the draft is later this year — May 8-10 — so there will be plenty of time to think about and dissect the draft. For those wondering, the players officially can return to the voluntary offseason program April 21. It’ll be interesting to see what the roster looks like by then.

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “The Combine and asking for questions”

1. By Coach K on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

The good news is, this draft is loaded with depth exactly where the Cardinals have needs. Here is my latest mock draft based on perceived needs and player rankings pre-combine.

Round 1- Pick #20- Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    I believe Cyrus will fall to the Cardinals. Lewan would also be a good
    fit but I feel Miami is looking hard at Lewan.

Round 2- Pick #52- Kyle Fuller, CB, Va. Tech
    Fuller is one of the biggest playmakers at his position. Good size and
    excellent ball skills. Would be perfect opposite Patrick.

Round 3- Pick #84- Craig Loston, Safety, LSU
    Loston has very impressive size and is a playmaker. I like him better
    than Buchanan of Wash St. Will start on day one!

Round 4- Pick #116- Bruce Ellington, WR, So. Carolina
    Bruce is the perfect slot receiver who can get deep. He reminds me
    of Brandin Cooks of OSU. Another Ellington on the roster will be a
    good thing for the Cardinals

Round 5- Pick #148- Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia
    Arthur Lynch reminds me of Steeler TE Heath Miller. Nothing fancy
    but he can block and he always manages to get open in the secondary.

Round 6- Pick #180- Chris Boswell, Kicker, Rice
    Time to bring in competition at the kinking position and Boswell is the
    top rated kicker in the nation. He also has the best on-side kick ever seen.

2. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

My first top 20 mock draft; (No Trades)

1. Texans – Bortles , it would be crazy not to fix their QB situation with the best QB in the draft.
    2. Rams – Jake Mathews, They must protect their QB, so he can play a full 16 games.
    3. Jaguars – Clowney, simply too good to fall further.
    4. – Browns – Bridgewater – Browns have a Oline and weapons, just need a QB.
    5 – Raiders – Manzeil – Who else but the raiders would roll the dice on this boom or bust guy.
    6. Atlanta – Greg Robinson – Matty Ice got killed last year. A TE would not be a surprise though
    7. Tampa – Sammy Watkins – Most explosive player in draft, love this guy
    8. Vikings – Derek Carr – Vikings need a QB and behind a good line and great running attack, he might just work.
    9. Buffalo – Ealy – Surprise here. More of a DE for the Bills 4-3. The Bills got zero sacks out of their RDE.
    10. Lions – Dennard – Lions secondary is bad. He is the best DB in draft
    11. Titans – Mike Evans – Whiz knows the value of a big target at wr. He already has the speed in Hunter. If Locker bounces back, this could be deadly.
    12. Giants – Justin Gilbert – Toughest pick. The giants stars just need to play better. But Gilbert can help out that secondary
    13. Rams – Marques Lee – They got their playmaker in Austin, now get their Mr Reliable in Lee.
    14. Bears – Clinton Dix – Help on the back end is what’s needed. Dix can play centerfield with the best of them.
    15. Steelers – Khalil Mack – My Favorite guy in the draft. Way too low.
    16. Ravens – Lewan – Ravens have been using vets to fill the hole at LT. Now they draft their guy
    17. Cowboys – Louis Nix – Cowboys have switched to a 4-3 and they were the worst d in football. Start at you 1 gap and build out.
    18. Jets – Eric Ebron – Please give your young QB at least one weapon.
    19. Dolphins – Zack Martin – all the issues with the hazing of oline. Tannehill needs some help up front.
    20. Cards – Anthony Barr – Although I want a LT, if Barr fell here, it is a no brainer. OLB to play opposite Abraham. He might even be a OLB Georgiebird would approve of at 6’4″ and 250.

Well there you go. Unfortunately, The combine and FA has to happen. But I like my top 20 draft.

3. By Azcardsguy123 on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

Darren- What do you think is the likely hood of Keim taking a QB, He said he wont unless he falls in love with one but are there any names that sound like potential candidates i.e. Logan Thomas, Zach Mettenberger, Tajh boyd,

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

azcards —

RE: QB

Possible? Sure. Can’t know what Keim is falling in love with right now, though. Plus there is still the interview process to go.

5. By Byron Ruch on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

why did they keep Rayan Williams & not give him playing time

6. By Jim McFetridge on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

Darren – Would the Cardinals consider signing Legarette Blount from the Patriots as a bigger, stronger, tougher, grinder, bulldozer, RB to replace the injury-prone Mendenhaul?

7. By bob on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

hey darren,
    why dont the cardinals get explosive players in free agency
    like devin hester will most likely hit.

8. By ored on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

draft guy

solid draft,esp.our #20,but i think minn.waits til 2nd round for a qb,they’ll have really good options at #8 and i’m thinking they either trade for one or someone they like will be there.always seems to be a bust or at least a real slow developer in the 1st round,but i think this draft has potential to be outstanding.

9. By steve on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

Darren: I would love for you to ask Steve Keim during your interview with him what positions in the draft are the deepest in talent and how this draft shapes up for what the Cards need! Thanks

10. By steve on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

John the Draft Guy: I cannot imagine the Barr will be there at #20 when we pick, he is a top 10-12 talent. I hope your right though as he is a stud pass rusher.

11. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

Jim —

RE: Blount

I would not expect it, but I’d never say never.

12. By Big Ken on Feb 18, 2014 | Reply

@ Darren Urban “I would not expect it, but I’d never say never” have you ever thought about running for public office, ‘Urban for governor’ (of AZ)? I hear there’s gonna be an opening down in the capital mall.

13. By Canadian Redbird on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren:

If Levi Brown happens to play this year for the Steelers, would the already agreed compensation of a 3rd – 4th round draft pick be activated for the 2015 draft? It seems a shame that the Cardinals got nothing in return for him.

The draft is one of the most exciting times of the year, and an opportunity for GM’s / Head Coaches to demonstrate their best poker face. The only person other than the Cardinal coaching staff that knows who were enamoured with is probably GM Licht of the Bucs.

My projection is a pass rushing DE / OLB in the first round and the big tackle from Tennessee in the 2nd if he’s available. To be honest, I was quite happy with our OL at the end of last year and I think a lot of the success goes to the new coaching staff. Thank goodness we ridded ourselves of GRIMM. I really like the idea of drafting the kicker from Rice in the later rounds.

14. By Darren Urban on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Levi

Given Levi’s hefty 2014 salary, I expect him to be released.

15. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

Steve,

I agree Barr is a top 10 pick. But so are the other guys. As Mayock said, a top 20 pick this year is like a top 10 pick. Barr is clearly an OLB and not a DE, so those 4-3 teams might pass on him.

Ored,

The Vikes need help on defense. But nothing is more pressing than QB. They have invested in an Oline, drafted Randolph at TE and Patterson at WR and signed Jennings. Mr Peterson is unbelievable but is not getting younger. I could see them making a move up to draft a guy like Borles. But, since my mock had no trades, Carr is to the Vikes. Carr will look the best in shorts in workouts. He has all the tools. What I dont like is he bails at pressure and throws off his back foot. But with this amazing run game, speed at wr, a solid TE, and good OLine, he might turn the vikes around.

16. By Big Ken on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

Okay Darren, you know you’ve got good insight when it comes to the team, but at this time of the year what the team is planning as far as draft/free agency you are kept in the dark. Your guess is as good as anyone else.

17. By cardcor on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

Question for Steve Keim:

Will the organization be focused on business as usual this offseason or does the fact that the SB will be played in Az next season have a big affect on some of the player selections?

18. By bob on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

darren u never answered me question

19. By Mendo on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

With the draft being so deep, the cardinals should trade down and pick up some late picks.

20. By ored on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

if ealy fell it would be nice,would also be interested in pryor,tuitt,or ford. assuming we go free agent LT we won’t draft one in rnd.1, i don’t think we need another star cb,peterson takes care of the best reciever and we can rotate on others,glaring need is safety help on TEs’,would be nice to have reliable speed reciever,and we’ll need help when docket and abraham leave.i think we improve this year,question is do any top teams improve more. if texas finds their qb,they will be favorites again,a few teams are close to breaking out and we still have to deal with our division and the rams have draft picks to really build on.looks like top to bottom,our division is tops again.

21. By Darren Urban on Feb 19, 2014 | Reply

Bob —

RE: Explosive

You chase players who you think can help.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 20, 2014 | Reply

The cowboys are in a little cap problem and it is rumored that Demarcus Ware might be released.
    Anyone who has watched football since 2005 knows this is the top pass rusher in the game.

This is a guy who had 7 straight years of double digit sacks. People may point to last year, but the new defensive scheme changed his position. If you want a stand up OLB who can sack the QB, he is your guy.

With Abraham, Dockett, Campbell, and Ware on passing situations, we could rush only 4 (like seattle , niners and rams do) and play coverage with 7.

I get it, most would want that money spent on an OT. I do too. But this guy is rare.

In your opinion, would Keim spend most of his cap on one player, or do you see him making moves like last year, by signing multiple players to one year deals?

I think the plan would be the latter, but could it be like a QB in the draft? you know, if he fell in love with a player, he would go get that guy?

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 20, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Ware

I don’t think there would be a problem spending a lot on one guy. But they do the metrics and the measurements and many times, these guys aren’t worth that kind of money and I don’t see him overpaying for anyone.

24. By William Barry on Feb 20, 2014 | Reply

Question for Steve Keim:

Will the Cards take a WR in the draft…I think we could use one. and is Ryan Swope coming back for the new year.

25. By Jeffrey Bellitto on Sep 8, 2014 | Reply

Why or whats Palmers problem with Fitzgerald, all of us watching the game all have The same question,???