Deep draft helps after 10 wins

Posted by Darren Urban on February 23, 2014 – 8:58 am

The Cardinals didn’t make the playoffs but they did win 10 games, which gave Arizona the lowest draft pick of any of the non-playoff teams at No. 20. But that couldn’t have come at a better time, since NFL people have been raving about how deep the draft is.

It certainly helps that a record 98 underclassmen declared for the draft, which automatically would make it better. Still, “I’ve been doing this for 30 years, and this is the deepest draft that I’ve ever seen,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. “I wouldn’t say the deepest draft before the underclassmen came in, but even during the fall our scouts were talking that the senior class was a pretty good class.”

It’s been suggested that a top 20 pick in this draft is just as good as a top 10 pick in last year’s draft the pool is so deep (and last year’s, not so much.) With Cardinals general manager Steve Keim continuing to stress he wants to build the bulk of the roster through the draft — and with the Cardinals still trying to find some roster bargains because of tighter cap issues — another Andre-Ellington-in-the-sixth-round find would be nice.

The Cardinals don’t have a seventh-round pick this year. With the depth available, and the way Keim operated last year, it wouldn’t shock me in the least to see the Cards trade down at some point (not necessarily in the first round) to try and pick up at least one more extra choice.

Tags: ,

38 Responses to “Deep draft helps after 10 wins”

1. By Mike on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Darren, The Cardinals don’t have a 7th rd pick like you mentioned, but don’t they have (2) 6th rd picks? If I’m mistaken, what ever happened to the pick we received for Levi Brown? Thought it was conditional, and given he got hurt right away, I take it that would be a 7th rd pick? There’s no way we got nothing in return, right?

2. By georgiebird on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

A deep draft doesn’t only help the Cards it also helps the 49ers and Seahawks. It probably does not help the Rams who draft early (and often) but may not get players any better at the top of the round than at the bottom.

3. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Mike —

RE: Draft picks

The Cardinals only have six total draft picks right now.

The Levi pick was conditional on the idea he would play a certain amount. Since he never played a snap for the Steelers, the Cardinals get nothing.

4. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

I could even see a trade down at 20. I have always like to trade down. The only draft I was for trading up was 2012 to get Tannehill.

There are 3 very good tackles in the draft. Then there is Zac Martin, who is compared to a guy I liked last year, Justin Pugh, who went in the middle of the 1st round.

After that, there is a gap and there may not be a tackle worth taking at 20. There also may not be that dynamic OLB there either.

My guy, Justin Gilbert is now being pushed into top 10 mocks.

So that would leave us with a guy like Pryor at safety. I could see going down into the top of the second and adding a 3rd round pick.

At the top of two, you could look at Brandin Cooks and then come back and land a guy like Moses at Tackle. You would then have a pair of 3’s you could come back with TE Niklas and a pass rusher like Smith.

Tough to know until the draft starts unrolling, but I could see a trade down.

5. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

You are right Georgiebird;

The rams will not get better taking Sammy Watkins and Tyler Lewan at 2 and 13. How could that help them?

6. By Mathew on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

What in the hell is Keim doing?

7. By Scott H on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Not related to this, but I’ve been hearing some interesting stuff this weekend regarding Jim Hargaugh and an attempt ( or whatever it was ) by the Browns to bring Harbaugh to Cleveland. Though it seem unlikely Harbaugh is going anywhere right now, there appears to be at least some legitimacy to the Browns making an effort to get him. Crazy…but nothing would make me happier than seeing Harbaugh somewhere outside the NFC West. Except maybe seeing Pete Carroll somewhere outside the NFC West, or course!

8. By LadyBird04 on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Don’t know if I have the terminology correct, but are we eligible for any conditional or other drafts for players we lost in free agency? Have they been assigned to any teams yet? If we are what kind of draft positions would we possibly get. I know our 7th goes to Oakland for Palmer but that was a trade, right?

9. By joe holst on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Use Free agency for the offense and Draft for the defense

10. By grabling on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Get Branden Albert in FA and select the best available player at 20…

11. By birdnerd on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Wouldn’t it be cool to cover our depth in free agency before the draft, so that instead of stretching for a potentially average LT at #20, you take a shot at Brandin Cooks or a guy that is rated #10 or #12 or your board instead of a guy that is an objective #26. Who knows maybe Eric Ebron falls or a DE/OLB/CB we have rated at #15 or Calvin Pryor. The goal should always be to cover your depth before the draft.

12. By jasonc on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Day two in the books and here are some thoughts…

Of course the 40 is the most talked bout event and so you have to mention Dri Archer who ran a 4.26 official time…that’s really fast. He ran with the RB group but at 5′ 7 3/4″ and 173 pounds he is a player you’d have to find ways to get the ball. If he returns kicks and punts then I’d love for us to use a late round pick on this guy. I think Brandin Cooks won’t last to the second round at all but it is certain he won’t be around at 52 when we pick.

Logan Thomas did what I knew he would do and he is the most impressive QB prospect from height, weight, speed perspective…I don’t think he’s as much of a project as Mayock claims because his issues are mainly footwork. Here is a positive article about him via draft breakdown obviously this an optimistic breakdown but worth a read if you’re intrigued by Thomas’s potential

I liked McCarron’s throwing drills…no one was expecting this guy to blow up the combine athletically. If one of these guys are still available in round 5/6 I’d take a look….maybe 4?

13. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Outstanding blog posts are coming fast and furious. This one on main page was one of the most information packed I can recall: “Roster Building According To Steve Keim”. Quote of the year: “There is a reason we drafted Kevin Minter”. Wowser. Keim is no BS and BA is well, you know… loving the off season, can barely keep up…

14. By Coach K on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

I think you hit the nail on the head John. Best athlete in round one, then get the tackle in round two. I love Moses because of his light feet and very long arms. I think he’s better than Cyrus K.

How about that other Clemson receiver today. Martavious Bryant, 6’3″, 211 and ran a 4.22 time, faster than his teammate. Wow! That kid opened some eyes today. I had him in my mock last week as a second round pick. Looks like he will be moving up after that showing today.

I am hoping we can get one of those two big strong safeties in round three. I really like Loston a little better than Bucannon, but either will do. Both are long and will knock your head off.

15. By Jsoully on Feb 23, 2014 | Reply

Because the offensive line depth is deep in the draft, would it be wrong to trade down for a guys like Morgan Moses or Cyrus Kouandjio (because Kouandjio didn’t do so well in the combine)? The reason I ask is because we could acquire more picks if we go to the latter of the first round or the second round. And is it wrong to trade within the division? Because San Francisco has more picks.

16. By Darren Urban on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Ladybird –

RE: picks

Every team is eligible but they won’t given all the free agents they signed last season. Those won’t be announced until the owners meetings next month.

17. By Big Ken on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Cool stuff. I wonder if Brandin Cooks will be available at the 20th pick. Wow!

18. By Tucson Card on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Homer statement: Ka’deem in round 2 would be awesome. He’s a playmaker. Ellington and Carey would be scary.

In round 1 I just want us to take the best player available, I don’t care which position.

19. By irlfannphx on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Get Eugene Monroe instead of Albert. Albert’s ALWAYS hurt. Monroe is a year younger than Albert and hadn’t had the injury problems that Albert’s had. We can also get Monroe cheaper than we can Albert. To me Monroe’s the “no-brainer” selection in this case. Let Miami pay Albert… I’ll take Monroe and have the better Tackle.

20. By irlfannphx on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Mettenberger in the 3rd or 4th. He’s a prototypical BA QB, that will get his year behind CP and DS. Lindley’s gone! His rookie year he’ll be re-habbing a torn ACL, but he fits the BA mold better than any QB in the draft.

21. By jaime on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Picks so far, Jeff Janis Receiver and Clowney defensive end. With clowney, in our division we have the key to stop Kap and Wilson and Janis has the speed and sneakiness for the 30-40 yard catches.

22. By RedSeaSailor on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

What about that Joe Don Duncan dude for TE in the Second, his hands are great and he’s big so he can block for Bruce. Then if we address the line in free agency. We should be solid to snag all the D and other positions we need. I watched Joe Don D’s highlight reel and I was sold. Dudes a beast.

23. By Dr. G. on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

jasonc – For a year now, I have been thinking McCarron is a sleeper in this draft. He comes from the best coaching in the NCAA. We’ll see…I have been mute for a while on this… My top 3 needs are still – TE -OT – QB to groom…….Later…

24. By Big Ken on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

I was thinking Ka’deem Carey as a second round choice, but was unimpressed with his combine. I didn’t realize he had serious off field issues. But I was impressed with George Atkinson III of Notre Dame. A good combine, character, ect.

25. By Eric Randall on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Hageman is the only logical choice for the number 20 pick. The cards have to create enough cap space to pay dwash, pp21 and sign a left tackle in free agency. Gotta cut dockett, colledge and powers…….

26. By Scott H on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Loving what I’m hearing about the Cards interest in Brandon Albert. THIS is what I wanted to see from the Cardinals during free agency during the Rod Graves – Ken Whiz era. But it never happened. WHY it never happened, I’ll never know. Just seems pretty simple to me that when you have one of the worst O-lines in the NFL ( maybe THE worst ) year after year, you would target FA’s who would make you better at that position. The bargain-basement approach to FA that the previous regime was so consistent with made me want to slap somebody. It was infuriating.

This regime? They go right to it. Need to get better on the O-line? Then make it a priority Because in THIS division, you better be able to protect your QB and have balance with the running game.. Someone available who will make you much better where you need to get better? Put him on the list.

I’ll stop there because it remains to be seen what will actually happen when the bell rings. But this regime has inspired much confidence during the past year and they have my trust. If nothing else, it will be nice just to hear that the Cardinals are even TRYING to be active during the first few days of FA, as opposed to the past several years when the Cardinals would be NOWHERE TO BE FOUND for about the first week or so.

It occurs to me that I have a hard time letting go of my bitterness….BUT 10-6 last year kept me out of therapy, at least!

27. By Coach K on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

Best available athlete in round one. Here’s the possible players who will be on the board. Take your pick: Justin Gilbert, Dee Ford, Timmy Jernigan, Aaron Donald, O’Dell Beckham, RaShede Hageman, Cyrus Kouandjio, Derek Carr, and Morgan Moses.

28. By Shaun Church on Feb 24, 2014 | Reply

If Steve Keim does this right, the 2014 draft class could be the best in Cardinals history. So deep at key positions.

29. By andrew conaway on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

What are the chances of the cards picking up free agents such as jeremy maclin, or eric decker, they said they wanted another dynamic reciever?

30. By Big Ken on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

Ok Louisville fans and I know you’re out there. If Bridgewater falls all the way to the 20th, should the Cardinal’s pick him?

31. By Coach K on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

No Teddy Bridgewater. I’m sure he is a great kid, but I hate that basketball body. I don’t care about his combine weight at 214 after eating all those donuts, his plying weight is around 195 and everyone knows it. I just don’t like that body type. And he’s not the biggest arm in this draft. His strong point is decision making and accuracy. Durability is my concern and lack of deep ball strength (a must for B.A,’s offense).

The guys with the big gun and the best body type are Bortles, Mettenberger and perhaps Carr. A sleeper could be Jimmy Garropolo who scouts are now saying could get into the bottom of round one.

32. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

A Conaway –

Do you really see WR as a primary need right now? I do not. Yeah, we need to see what happens with Andre Roberts, who I hope will stay right here. But assuming he does, I would see no reason to pursue guys like Decker or Maclin. Not sure what Maclin’s value is these days since he’s coming off a serious injury ( which is some cause for concern ). But I think Decker has proven to be the real deal as a WR and I don’t think he is going to come cheap. And I don’t see WR as a position where the Cardinals want to – OR NEED TO – spend a lot of money in FA. Not with what they’re paying Fitz right now and with other needs elsewhere.

33. By Big Ken on Feb 26, 2014 | Reply

Scott H I don’t see Roberts coming back. They might have made him some kind of offer, but the guy didn’t catch many balls for some reason. The draft is so deep at WR. Why not draft a speedy new star in the first round?

34. By Coach K on Feb 26, 2014 | Reply

Jaws speaks his mind. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/ron-jaworski-i-wouldnt-take-manziel-in-first-three-rounds/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

35. By Louisville Card on Feb 26, 2014 | Reply

@coach K & big ken

You have to pick Bridgewater if he falls to 20. He won’t be there, but I’ve watched every game Teddy’s played he’s a clutch and has a better arm than K gives him credit for. He has the long ball arm Strong just never let him air it out. Charlie Strong is very conservative and reigned Teddy in only allowing him to throw 20-30 times a game. Teddy would get a quick lead and then they would run it the rest of the game.

Teddy is very humble and great leader and makes good decision’s. You can’t teach composure and this kid’s got it. Sure he’s a little lean, but he’s not an option qb. He’ll be just fine wherever he goes…

Calvin Pryor, Marcus Smith, and Damien Copeland from UofL would also all look really good staying in a cards uniform…

36. By Big Ken on Feb 26, 2014 | Reply

I like Bridgewater too, but he’s starting to tumble a bit.

37. By Coach K on Feb 27, 2014 | Reply

Louisville, I understand your loyalty, but when I look at the way RG3 was manhandled with that same body type, I really would worry about Bridgewater over 16 games. In our division, you need a guy at QB who has a little more meat and can take a beating.

38. By Louisville Card on Feb 27, 2014 | Reply

@Coach K

I agree RG3 isn’t usually going to finish a season being an option qb. Comparing RG3 to Teddy is like comparing apple’s and orange’s. Teddy isn’t an option qb being put in harms way on every play. That’s like saying since RG3 or Vick can’t finish a season Drew Breese can’t either. I know Teddy isn’t Breese but he isn’t a China doll . Teddy broke his non throwing wrist in a game his sophomore year and came back in and won the game. I wouldn’t worry about his durability he can take a hit I’ve seen it…