Free agent whispers could be just that

Posted by Darren Urban on February 25, 2014 – 9:54 am

It’s been circulating in the media for a few weeks now that if the Chiefs let left tackle Branden Albert reach free agency, the Cardinals are expected to be one of the teams that would pursue him. And there have been other names floating out there in connection to the Cards, like offensive lineman Rodger Saffold or defensive lineman Mike Neal. As free agency approaches March 11 (and even before that, when teams can “officially” start talking to FAs-to-be a couple of days before that) there will be more names that float out there, no doubt.

Some teams might leak interest in guys. Many agents have no problem leaking what teams might have interest. After all, the more interest for a player, his price goes up. Even if the interest isn’t that big of interest at all. That’s the key to this whole thing. Take the Cardinals. They have a free-agent board ranking their targets. But things can and often will change on a daily basis according to who is signing where, whom might re-sign, and how much these players might want. I’m sure that whatever team is interested in Albert understands he won’t come cheap.

Yet that board the Cardinals build includes the metrics of a player, where they are in age and their worth. Would the Cards go above and beyond? For the right player, they just might. But Steve Keim and company aren’t going to toss aside their game plan/philosophy for one player. They won’t cripple the salary cap out of need or panic. It’s the same sort of thought process they will have with a guy like Karlos Dansby, whom they want back but won’t foil the big picture in that quest.

So every time a name is floated, sure, there might be interest. But that would merely the first step in a process. Like last year, I expect the Cards to push hard for a guy to sign a contract if they get him to Tempe for a visit — no need to let other teams woo a guy away — but there are a lot of variables before a guy actually inks a deal.

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Free agent whispers could be just that”

1. By joe67 on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

If Albert is that good at a position that most teams seem to need help, why are they letting him walk?

2. By 'Zona Fan on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

I think Albert is becoming a little bit overhyped as the cornerstone LT we need. I mean, if he’s so valuable why is he potentially available in the first place? What is Albert ranked among Tackles anyway? I’d rather find the next Joe Thomas through the draft.

3. By James on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

joe67,

Because of Eric Fisher being set to replace him, the salary Albert would demand, and his age (30 soon).

4. By D on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

Free agency all about the free market, fans always say that player makes too much, but not apparently for the team or owner who is paying them.
    Interest is drummed up in Indy by the agents and GM, always a fun time of the year.

I doubt AZ will land Albert because of his price tag, but I am sure Keim has at least two other names of Left tackles as other options. Saffold would be cheaper but he also has had some injury history like Albert. Mike Neal appears to be a role player that could replace Shaughnessy as a DE but could not play him at OLB as he struggled last year in that role for GB.

My list based on need and (if these don’t resign with their team) for AZ in free agency would be:
    1- A Collins LT (Saffold would work too)
    2–D. McCluster WR (could replace Roberts and do kick returns)- they could go draft for the 3rd wr, not sure you want a rookie doing kick returns
    3–C. Clemmons Safety-good coverage safety – in addition they still need to draft a safety by round 3 as SS
    4–G. Gano Kicker–younger and stronger leg than Feely

Of course if a decent TE would come in for a one year deal and if D. Brown RB would take a one year deal I wouldn’t be surprised Keim would sign. They still need to resign Winston at RT.

5. By jasonc on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

I still think if I was Steve Keim I’d be making a strong play for Anthony Collins from Cincinnati. Albert is going to be 30 next season and has missed seven games over the past two seasons, if we sign this guy I would only offer him a two year deal and I’d draft a guy to groom into the position like a Joel Bitonio (‘Zona fan I don’t think we’re going to be able to get one of the top tackles). If we are able to sign Collins he wouldn’t just be a stop gap because of his age we can offer him a longer deal and that would free up our draft.

6. By Coach K on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

This draft is so deep, I say we draft our tackle and live within the salary cap.

7. By Big Ken on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

Albert is kinda old and dinged up. I know there are three top tier LT’s but there lots of draft depth at the tackle position. Let’s do our homework.

8. By ored on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

there is everything we need in free agency IF we have the cap room,we could sign a pass rusher,LT,and safety,that would free up the draft for bpa,but since that is how we draft anyway,we just stay the course and sign the best we can afford and draft bpa according to our board.if the injury bug stays away we’ll be much improved.

9. By joe holst on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

Brendan Albert is going to be 30 and is a poor run blocker so I would forget him

10. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

Can’t say I know a lot about Albert but I don’t see why his age ( 30 ) is a reason we should forget about him. 30 is not exactly over the hill when you’re talking about an O-lineman. And given how well the Chiefs ran the ball last year, could he really have been THAT bad as a run blocker??? Jamaal Charles is a HELLUVA player but he’s not doing what he does all by himself. O-lines function more so as a unit than they do as individual talents. So, I’ve always looked as effective O-lines as units that are getting a contribution from everyone within them.

Again, I don’t see Albert as a gut we GOTTA have. But if he is a solid up-grade for the Cardinals for the next 2-3 years and we don’t need to rob Fort Knox to get him, then I hope we are giving him due consideration.

11. By Nor cal cards fan on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

Urb – I just read the story on the team site about Andre’s cousin… Did u get a chance to meet him at the combine..? And do u think he could possibly be a dangerous number 3 receiver for us next season..?

12. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

Nor Cal —

RE: Bruce Ellington

I did not meet him. Kyle did that interview. As for a No. 3, I suppose it’s possible. He is fast. A little undersized to be able to play outside.

13. By jasonc on Feb 25, 2014 | Reply

Scott H-

He only played 12 games last year and has only started 23 of his last 32 regular season games…that along with his age is a red flag to offer him a long term lucrative contract. Now if we could get him to sign a two or three year deal for a reasonable amount then by all means I would do it but with Miami and now possibly Carolina in the market if it becomes a bidding war I don’t think we stay in it very long. Personally I think Eugene Monroe is the best LT in free agency I just don’t see him getting to the open market, same with Veldheer.