Cardinals let John Lott go

Posted by Darren Urban on February 28, 2014 – 2:09 pm

The Cardinals parted ways with strength and conditioning coordinator John Lott Friday, a little bit of a surprise. The Cards confirmed the move in a statement.

“Coach (Bruce) Arians let John know this morning that he’s making a change and going in a different direction in that role. Everyone at the team is certainly grateful to John for his contributions and wish him nothing but the best moving forward. The search for a replacement is underway.”

Lott still has two years remaining on his contract, so financially he’s got time to search for a landing spot. Lott was just at the Scouting combine, reprising his role as the guy bellowing at prospects to encourage extra reps, after not going there in 2013. Lott was a holdover from the Ken Whisenhunt regime and didn’t have any ties to Arians, which made him different than say, Freddie Kitchens (who played for Arians in college). Lott’s profile shrunk this year as well. Normally out front at the beginning of practice at before games leading stretching, that duty was eliminated with Arians’ belief players needed to prep on their own and not stretch as a team. There was chatter earlier in the offseason Lott could end up with Whisenhunt in Tennessee after Whiz got the Titans job. The Titans, though, retained long-time strength coach Steve Watterson.

Assistant strength and conditioning coach Pete Alosi remains in place. The Cardinals don’t officially begin their offseason conditioning program until April 21.

CombineJLUSE

Tags: , ,

31 Responses to “Cardinals let John Lott go”

1. By SteveG on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Things change….

Best of luck to Lott in all he does…..I have no doubt that he will be much on demand.

2. By andystandsup on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

And there goes Dan Williams toasting the decision with a trip to Baskin-Robbins AND McDonalds.
    Goodbye Camelback Mountain runs – we hardly knew ye.

3. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

andystands –

RE: Camelback

There haven’t been Camelback runs since 2012.

4. By Big Ken on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Darren keep us posted on who the get to replace him.

5. By andystandsup on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Yep, that was one year in a row, Darren where we haven’t seen Lott making the rookies puke or watching Clark Haggans run like no one’s business.
    Get your mind right.

6. By donh on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

bad move

7. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

andystands –

RE: One year

Yes, but look at the timing.

8. By Andy Kw on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

This team is doing everything right so far: We should have around $17 Million in Cap Space now (The Keim-Arians era is promising indeed) .
    -We restructured contract of WR Larry Fitzgerald, check
    -We cut LB Jaspar Brinkley to save Salary Cap Space, check

9. By AzCardsFan911 on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

John was a good guy! I had a chance to go to the pro bowl in 2012 and at the game he saw me and my 10 month old son walking around the concessions and merchandise booths and he just asked how old my boy was and we had a conversation that lasted a couple minutes. I asked for a picture and he said why u want a pic of me? Im like you are John Lott, the man who gets my guys ready to play every week! He was with his wife and he wanted her to be in it too. She was also very sweet. Super nice and humble people that will be missed.

10. By shannon robinson on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

When good people move on there’s always remorse and a little grieving. I got a kick out of John Lott. He reminds me of great weight trainers that worked with my teams. A team could lift rocks with John’s direction and they’d be fit and strong. He’ll do great. So now here comes some Southern style straight from Coach Arians stable of characters. I don’t have any idea who they’ll hire but I bet he’ll be special tough, creative, inspiring. He will have built championship teams, and I’ll say he’s old school. Every Head Coach I’ve met chooses their own strength coach, it’s how Bruce will build up his team. Go Cardinals.

11. By Steve Lee on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Is this a good move by Arians? Seems like the same old Cardinals. If something works, they fix it. It’s as though the front office doesn’t really want to win.

12. By clssylssy on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Go in a different direction? LOL! How many directions can you go as a trainer? Translation… “I didn’t hire you and I’m still cleaning house”. I think John Lott was a tremendous asset to the organization on and off the field, and will be missed by players and fans alike. Best luck to John and thanks for the memories. Perhaps there is a job in Nashville and this will be a gift in disguise!

13. By georgiebird on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Lott did a great job- BUT everyone has a shelf life.
    Do you know the way to Tennessee?
    I’m going back to find
    Some peace of mind
    And the Whiz will be so kind

14. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Sad to hear this. Best of luck John!

15. By Will on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

I’ve been a big fan of BA and (especially) Keim since they took over, but this has the smell of maybe their first bad move. Lott is a special guy, someone not easily replaced. Don’t believe me? Ask anyone he’s coached… Here’s hoping I’m wrong, and that the new regime does nothing but continue to improve.

16. By AzDesertRat1953 on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

I am wondering what direction BA has in mind for Strength and Conditioning?
    Lets see, No. 11 seems to get the job done with the kind of extra work he does.
    I would say Stronger is going to be on the same level as Smarter this year.

GO CARDS!!!

17. By jakeplummersghost on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

bummer! I love that guy!

18. By jakeplummersghost on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

any speculation on why, Darren? Are they eliminating the position altogether maybe since his duties shrank?

19. By ored on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

maybe with all the injuries lately,they might be thinking more flexibility to go along with the strength,besides if we’re going longer and faster athletes then it defeats the purpose by too much bulking,muscling up,you can be lean and still increase strength and keeping flexible and hopefully cut down on injuries.

20. By Alvin on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I don’t know if anyone has asked you, or if you have already done so in the past, but can you do a video tour of the Cardinals’ facilities, since it is the off season and there isn’t much going on?

21. By Eazy E on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Aw man, I loved John! Loved his speeches and bench press ”banter”. Gonna miss him greatly and did a wonderful job with players too. Keeping them in the best shape of their lives consistently!

22. By joe on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

I get you want your own guys when your the head coach but i always felt like Lott was our secret weapon. The players really seemed to like him from the little bits and bobs i picked up from different articles so why change now. I am guessing Arians has an old comrade that needs a job and thats his right as HC but i will miss John.

23. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

jakeplummer –

RE: Reason

They are not eliminating the position. As to why, again, he wasn’t brought in my BA. Those guys don’t usually last long-term.

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Alvin –

RE: Tour

You know it’s been brought up before and I definitely have talked to the video guys about it. We will see.

25. By Cards4ever on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Relax, it’s just a strength coach.

26. By Big Ken on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Right a strength coach, cheer leader, a Will Ferrell type will do.

27. By William Barry on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Best of luck, John.

Remember this is our turn to go to the Super Bowl and win it, since the SB is in Arizona this year!!!!!!

great moves in restructuring Larry Fitz’s contract….I hope we make some trades this year in the draft…it was programmed as a deep draft this year.

28. By James on Mar 3, 2014 | Reply

@Steven Lee,Yeah,the front office don’t want to win!So,the question is why the hell do you even bother following this team?Why waste your valuable time when you could be doing something more fulfilling to your life than to follow a team who’s front office does not want to win?!

29. By Rayrayright on Mar 6, 2014 | Reply

Promote ALOSI ! – Things change for sure. New Coaches, new techniques and rituals. Sounds like they need to promote Pete Alosi and let him prove himself. Arians has a clean palate with Alosi and he is extremely knowledgeable in the space. With all the connects, experience, and influences Pete has it makes sense. Sometimes its a matter of timing and the timing is right for Alosi to get the nod. His energy, proactive nature, and ability to adapt to a challenge will make his a tremendous asset to the organization. Plus… much cheaper the Lott!

2. Mar 1, 2014: Arizona Cardinals Part Ways With Strength and Conditioning Coach John Lott
  3. Mar 4, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Buddy Morris added as strength coach