On free agent strategy and chasing D’Qwell

Posted by Darren Urban on February 28, 2014 – 9:37 am

A couple of tidbits out there this morning. One, Adam Schefter reported that the Cardinals have reached out to veteran linebacker D’Qwell Jackson, just cut by the Browns, to see if they could line up a free-agent visit next week. Jackson, who already has reportedly be contacted by the Titans and Broncos, would be an inside linebacker for the Cardinals. Is he a backup plan in case Karlos Dansby chooses not to return?

Speaking of Dansby, not that this is a shock, but coach Bruce Arians said on Arizona Sports 98.7 this morning that the team offered Dansby a contract “the day after the season ended.” Negotiations are ongoing — and I still think Dansby wants to see what he can get on the open market — but I’ve had some ask if the Cards had made an offer. It was obvious, but here’s the proof.

In the same interview, Arians said the Cardinals “probably have five” immediate free agent targets when they can officially start calling players on 12:01 a.m. March 8 (deals cannot be finalized until March 11.) And in case you were wondering about that take-it-or-leave-it approach to free agents the Cardinals unveiled last offseason? Yeah, it’s still in place.

“Steve and I have the same philosophy,” Arians said. ” ‘Here it is, do you want it? I’m going to ask this guy in about a half an hour. If you don’t want it, I’m going to ask him. If he wants it, you’re out.’ It’s easy. We don’t play games.”

If nothing else, we’ll probably know what the Cards are doing free-agent wise — at least with the high-end names — quickly. Like the left tackle spot.

DSqwellBlog

Tags: , , ,

49 Responses to “On free agent strategy and chasing D’Qwell”

1. By 'Zona Fan on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Wonder who the ‘5 guys’ are that they want to target right away? Hmm…

2. By Chuck 1 on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

What a difference Keim and BA are than Graves and Whiz.
    I like the “NO BS” way they do business.
    Here it is. Take it or leave it.
    That’s the reason that the Cards will continue to “fly” and rise in the NFC “Best”.

3. By carlo milano on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Ciao Darren
    What do u think are the positions they re looking for?

4. By Nick Pepe on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

In your opinion where does Minter fit in? Is he not slated as an ILB?

Appreciate all the updates- you are working hard this off-season !

She agreed to go to two games this year – home vs Philly and 120 miles up the road to see the Giants. Can’t wait til the schedule comes out. With my luck, it will be a Sept date vs Eagles and a cold Dec game vs Giants !!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Sick of this snow!!!!

5. By Nick Pepe on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

I agree. Be matter of fact. BA has no BS in him. And I’m all for it. The players are grown- don’t blow smoke up the keisters. You want to be a Cardinal, great. If not we’ll find someone who does!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

6. By PotAsh on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

From NFL.com: “Because he was released prior to the 2014 league year, Jackson does not have to wait for the March 11 onset of free agency to choose his new team.”

Get after him, Cards!

7. By Big Ken on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Darren, He’s probably not part of the ‘5 guys’ but would the team consider bringing Richie Incognito on board?

8. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: FA positions

Probably OL, TE, S I’d think.

9. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Minter

I think he still fits in. But you probably want a vet around if Dansby leaves.

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: Incognito

Nope.

11. By D on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

I just came in from my driveway, finishing taking batting practice on my Hennessey Venom GT and read this post. Tells me two things, they think Jackson could be cheaper than Los and Brinkley will probably be a cut this offseason…
    With the increased Cap space probably see more UFA resign prior to March 11th, could make it more difficult for the Cards with other teams having truckloads of money to spend…should be fun to watch…

12. By brad keppel on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

It would be nice to get him and Mike Neal to boost our already dominate defense

13. By jasonc on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

If you haven’t done a simulated mock draft on fanspeak.com it’s pretty fun and I had an awesome draft that I thought I’d share

20) CB JUSTIN GILBERT OKLAHOMA STATE

52) S DEONE BUCANNON WASHINGTON STATE

84) DE MARCUS SMITH LOUISVILLE

116) DT JUSTIN ELLIS LOUISIANA TECH

148) WR JEFF JANIS SAGINAW VALLEY STATE

180) QB LOGAN THOMAS VIRGINIA TECH

I would lose my mind if the draft unfolded this way… I know not everyone agrees with my opinion so instead of criticizing mine go to the site, do your own and post it on here. I’d love to see how other people work the draft.

14. By LadyBird04 on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

I know Albert is the “star” LT that is out there in many people’s view but I wonder if we would be better off getting one of the other LT’s out there. Albert’s hype has put his salary demands probably to the moon and he hasn’t had a great injury/playing a full season record. I also wonder, if the Cards are just allowing the rumor to flow and are going in another direction anyway.

Re: Incognito – I would really HOPE the Cards don’t give that idea a nano-second of thought. He is a powder keg just waiting for a match. There was a report on ESPN.com that he checked into rehab (and they said TMZ reported it wasn’t voluntary) for “anger” management issues.

15. By Wes on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

If they are considering other options at ILB, where does that put Brinkley? He lost a lot of playing time when Dansby joined us.

16. By UK cards fan on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Darren, why do you think Dockett is so confident that Dansby will return?

17. By georgiebird on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Appreciate your answer to Big Ken on Incognito.
    The skinny on Incognito is that he would have a better chance of getting back in the good graces of the NFL if he had been found guilty of murder, rape or some gun possession charge.
    Incognito did what the team had asked in trying to light a fire under Martin. The two non-white guys involved along with Incognito have not been similarly disciplined-I wonder why?
    The whole Dolphin team along with the coaches should be suspended by the NFL for a year. Or would that hurt somebody’s pocket book. What a farce!

18. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Wow, this raises all kinds of questions as an outsider looking in.

Does this take it or leave it attitude apply to Dansby? Was the offer made just that, a take it or leave it offer ?

Is Dansby asking way too much ? Could DWash court case be more serious?
    Is Minter not the player they thought going into the draft?

D’Qwell is a fast LB who could help out this defense. But I would guess, if he is signed , Dansby is done as a Cardinal. I also would guess it won’t be to a one year deal since other teams are involved. What does that say about Minter?

19. By Rich on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Jackson, Washington, Minter, Brinkley – that’s a stacked and stout set of inside LB;s. Brinkley would be cut or traded cause of his contract. But that is a nice set of IL’s if Dansby goes elsewhere. Would like to have Karlos, but am real ok with that other scenario too.

20. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

UK cards —

RE: Dockett/Dansby

Well, Dock is closer to Karlos than any of us, so maybe he knows something. Or maybe he’s just hoping as hard as he can.

21. By Big Ken on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Jasper Brinkley started 15 games had ’30 tackles and another 5 on special teams’-yikes should have charged him for admission to get into those games.

22. By Corgon on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Hello Darren,

do you see any scenario where the Cards get Jackson and keep Los as well?

23. By Darren Urban on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Corgon —

RE: Jackson/Dansby

Here’s why that doesn’t make sense to me — because you’ll have three inside linebackers (with DWash) expecting to start.

24. By Big Ken on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Jasonc your simulated mock draft in a little top heavy with defense. Take out Justin Gilbert and slid Brandin Cooks in there.

25. By Christian R on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

jasonc-

Not sure how realistic the draft was, but here’s what I got:
    20) Justin Gilbert, CB Oklahoma St.
    52) Deone Bucannon, S Washington St.
    84) Troy Niklas, TE Notre Dame
    116) Demarcus Lawrence, DE Boise St.
    148) Bruce Ellington, WR South Carolina
    180) Jeoffrey Pagan, DE Alabama

26. By tyman on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

I could see Dansby not signing due to the philosophy
    Like how many times did we have to franchise Dansby. We cant over pay for one piece of a great D. Patrick Peterson is going to demand big money, so guys like Dansby have to come cheaper.

27. By Coach K on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Jasonc, I love the top two picks, but I do not think Gilbert will slide past pick #10 after that amazing performance at the combine. He’ll be long gone. But I like your pick regardless. You know I love Bucannon the enforcer roaming the middle of the field with some nasty to deliver to ball carriers. I personally think the Cards will have to get either Aaron Donald or Timmy Jernigan with that first pick. However, I would not be shocked if a top receiver slides and we take him. Beckham or Cooks would be sweet. We have to take the best available athlete at that top spot. Right now, based on the combine and rating system, it looks like a Defensive tackle will be the highest rated at pick #20.

I also think Morgan Moses in in play at #20, but Miami could mess that up.

28. By Keith on Feb 28, 2014 | Reply

Darren:

What about Eugene Monroe OT or TJ Ward safety do we have any interest in them as FA’s.

Think we would trade a late pick to get Martin OT from Miami?

And what about Fales QB San Jose ST, I wouldn’t mind us drafting him!

29. By Eazy E on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

D’Qwell is a bad shut your mouth, but Dansby is first and foremost out of all of our FAs!

30. By louis on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

we will be in the same hole again we are to cheap to get good players and keep players and lott will miss.

31. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Keith —

RE: Monroe/Ward

I don’t know what the list might look like but there are fallback options. I don’t know if they will spend too much in FA on a safety.

32. By Big Ken on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Coach K,,Justin Gilbert is definitely on the rise maybe a top 10 or 15 player. Will that push Lewan down into the 20th pick? Then I say Cooks at 20th.

33. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

jasonc, Big Ken, Coach K

Here is my mock. Only went 4 rounds.

OT TAYLOR LEWAN
    MICHIGAN
    DE STEPHON TUITT
    NOTRE DAME
    DE MARCUS SMITH
    LOUISVILLE
    116
    WR BRUCE ELLINGTON
    SOUTH CAROLINA

34. By jasonc on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

CoachK & Big Ken

I understand the love for Cooks: he is fast and a playmaker and he would upgrade our offense. I’m not upset if we draft him. I just think if Gilbert, Pryor, Clinton-DIx, Ealy, Ford, Barr and possibly Dennard are available he won’t be the pick. Cooks and Aaron Donald are definitely my wildcard guys.

35. By jasonc on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Christian R

Sometimes you get some crazy results so I’m not saying it’s a 100% realistic but it’s a fun way to kill 20 minutes. They do updates every Tuesday at noon so players change rankings. I like your draft….I’d be thrilled with those results.

36. By jasonc on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

That’s a REALLY good one….Lewan falling in the first and then Tuitt in the second is impressive.

37. By Scott H on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Still hoping that Dansby is back next year.

I saw where the Seahawks released Red Bryant and my knee-jerk reaction was that the Cardinals should look into this guy. Why not? Still a solid player AND one with an intimate knowledge of Seattle’s defense. That alone could prove tremendously valuable to an NFC West team. Then, I thought….wait, our defense already looks awesome! Why do we need him???

Still worth consideration, though, if he could be had for a bargain price. Really, his knowledge of the workings of Seattle’s D would actually help our offense more than anything else.

Maybe Arians Na Keim could just take him out to dinner at a really nice place, buy him a bunch of drinks, wear a wire to record everything, and just get him to tell us everything he knows! Wouldn’t count against the cap….

38. By Big Ken on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

Isn’t Tuitt hurt or get hurt at the combine? How about Joe Bitonio? He’s one of those guys they talk about moving inside to guard, but he had a good combine and a great week at the Senior Bowl where they had him line up at LT. Interesting player.

39. By Bryan on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

If we don’t take Bruce Ellington I will be devastated. Also , I think Michael Sam is worth a reach for in the draft. I think he could take 2nd string instead of okafor or acho. Maybe even start if shaughnessy walks. Hopefully Dansby makes it back but I would be content with Jackson

40. By ored on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

where would you rank collins among the top 4 LTs in the draft,if he’s in play,then offer a sign and trade deal for a draft pick to the bengals,position fixed.next find a safety that can play the position without elaborate schemes and help to cover TEs,either sign a pass rusher or lets find out what we have coming back,then get a playmaker wr to return kicks and as insurance for next year if larry leaves,won’t be a better year to find a reciever.if we can improve in year 2 of keims plan,we’ll be home free next year.what a great thing it is to have someone with vision and the fortitude to back it up,we were a good team at the end of last year even with all the turnover and injuries,now with another free agent period,new draft,and players returning from injuries it’s hard not to be jazzed.

41. By Coach K on Mar 1, 2014 | Reply

If we got Lewan in round one and Bucannon in the 2nd, I’m content. Everything else is icing on the cake.

42. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 2, 2014 | Reply

ored,

Wait, let me get this correct, you want to sign Collins and then trade him back to the Bengals? Why wouldn’t the Bengals just sign him?

As for the top tackles in the draft, there are 3 that separate themselves. Lewan, Mathews, and Robinson are those guys. I would say all three are more talented than Collins.

Mathews is very athletic and football smart. You are getting a guy who will have great technique and will be professional.

Lewan was more athletic than I thought. I think the comparison to Jake Long is fair.

Robinson is another big powerful guy. He is raw though. He could be the best of them all but needs seasoning.

43. By Big Ken on Mar 2, 2014 | Reply

Lewan and Bucannon as first and second then we’d be living in a perfect world.

44. By Big Ken on Mar 2, 2014 | Reply

The only free agent LT that’s worth anything is Eugene Monroe. He might be worth breaking the bank for. The Ravens will not franchise tag him.

45. By ored on Mar 2, 2014 | Reply

top 3 LTs won’t be there at 20 and ravens have too much invested in monroe to just let him go.either we go hard for collins or cinn.signs him and we trade a draft pick for him,more than likely we’ll be in play for him,but if not,sowell has another off season to improve and we draft a LT 2nd or 3rd round,after all we were still a pretty good team with sowell and some chip blocking,etc.last year or maybe i’m all wet and keim has something else up his sleeve,it’s just that we’re so close to getting out from under most of the bloated contracts,now could be a crossroads,maybe swinging a blockbuster trade or making the moves we’re confident in,getting better with small steps and hoping for someone to break out.

we’ll be good this year whether we find that elusive LT or not,just having cooper back should help,maybe just improving the ground game makes a big difference.

46. By Nick Pepe on Mar 2, 2014 | Reply

Ored –

Longest. Sentence. Ever.

47. By Chuck 1 on Mar 2, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

No SS?
    That is a critical need.
    Which position is going to cover the TEs that burned us so often last season?
    A LB?

48. By Coach K on Mar 2, 2014 | Reply

Believe it or not, but I believe Lewan could fall because of the wide receivers and the quarterback Carr moving up the boards fast. In a perfect world, this would not happen. But in the NFL, don’t rule it out.

49. By Marcelof on Mar 3, 2014 | Reply

I’d like to see Cards bring AJ McCarron in in the second round.
    Since I’ve watched this kid playing, he seems smart enough to lead BA’s system… not this year, but maybe in a couple more He’d be a long time franchise QB Arizona have looked for years. Palmer is doing great but hasn’t got much left.

1st I see Arizona drafting a CB or depeding on how things will be till 20, a trade down…

LT and DE I believe – if possible – will be addressed in free agency