Roberts figures he’s done as a Cardinal

Posted by Darren Urban on March 4, 2014 – 4:48 pm

The season started great for Andre Roberts. And it finished on a high note. In between, it wasn’t what Roberts wanted, and now it also looks like it was the last season for Roberts — at least as a Cardinal. This is not a shock. Roberts will be an unrestricted free agent in a week and the math has said for a while now it probably didn’t make much sense for the relationship to continue. The Cardinals, with Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd, don’t need anything more than a third receiver. Roberts would like to be at least a No. 2, and certainly wants to be paid like that. Parting ways seemed the logical conclusion, and Roberts drove that home during an interview Tuesday on NBCSN’s “Pro Football Talk.”

“I don’t think I’ll be back in Arizona,” Roberts said. “I haven’t received any phone calls from Arizona and free agency is coming up here in about a week. I definitely feel I did the most with my opportunities, but I thought I would get a little bit more coming my way balls-wise. It’s part of the business. But I don’t think I’ll be back in Arizona. I’ll be testing the market.”

Roberts had 43 receptions for 471 yards and two touchdowns in 2013, his numbers dropping with the emergence of Floyd. In Bruce Arians’ offense and the desire to use two tight ends, three receivers just weren’t used as much, and Roberts was the odd man out. Can Roberts get the contract he wants this spring, with numbers that were down and a glut of receivers destined to be available? Probably not. He’s probably in a position like many free agents last year (some who signed with the Cards) to be better off inking a one-year deal and playing in a place that could feed him the ball. Where that is — and whether that team wants Roberts — is TBD. Roberts grew close to Fitzgerald over the years, and in their friendship, I’m sure Fitz has given counsel to find the money.

The Cards, meanwhile, will need another wideout. But they probably will seek one with more speed, and certainly one that will be cheaper.

– Speaking of free agency, Kent Somers reported today that the Cards and the agent for free-agent-to-be Matt Shaughnessy have been negotiating. After Karlos Dansby, Shaughnessy made the most sense of a guy whom the Cards would like to re-sign.

RobertsPFTUse

Tags: , , , ,

26 Responses to “Roberts figures he’s done as a Cardinal”

1. By Cody Zarr on Mar 4, 2014 | Reply

It was good to see Mr. Roberts grow here. He’s definitely light years beyond where he was when he was drafted. I remember being concerned he might not make it past his first season with all the drops in practice when he started. He turned into a pretty solid guy IMO. Sad to see him go, but c’est la vie. Best of luck to him.

2. By joe holst on Mar 4, 2014 | Reply

New England would be a good fit for him.

3. By Infitzwetrust on Mar 4, 2014 | Reply

Roberts had some epic moments as a cardinal. If you are gone for good, thanks for your services.

A farewell Citadel salute to Andre!

4. By Dr. G. on Mar 4, 2014 | Reply

Not a chance this is Andre’s last season! He is a bright, energetic, classy young man who was key in many wins as a Card…. just caught up in the wedge of numbers. He had better numbers than Fitz in 2012…. the team that gets him will be surprisingly rewarded…. I wish him well if he goes…

5. By georgiebird on Mar 4, 2014 | Reply

Roberts is a good guy but not a fit in AZ. Time for a burner WR. AR is a smart kid from The Citadel, he’ll function well with a top QB like Peyton, Brees or Brady.
    Glad to hear the Cards are pursuing Shaughnessy- he could have a breakout year in 2014 and he only turns 28 in late September. There is a bit of a ceiling left for Matt.
    Why isn’t Karlos gone by now? I’m sure there are a many teams willing to play this star big money- after all KD just keeps getting better every year.

6. By steve on Mar 4, 2014 | Reply

I like Roberts but I think the Cards need someone more like T.Y. Hilton whom Arians coached in Indy. Hilton can take the top off of a defense while Roberts is more of a possession guy in my opinion.

7. By Coach K on Mar 4, 2014 | Reply

Too bad. Roberts really gave it all on the field. But it’s a business and B.A. wants that dynamic guy that can take it deep in a heartbeat. I’m sure Andre will be picked up quickly.

8. By Rugbymuffin on Mar 5, 2014 | Reply

Catch the ball in clutch situation.

That is my advice for Roberts as he continues his career elsewhere.

Good player, wish him the best.

9. By Cardsgirl on Mar 5, 2014 | Reply

You won’t find a receiver who will work harder for you. I hate to see Andre leave but understand the nature of football and that it is in his best interest to look for opportunities elsewhere. I hope some team (not in the NFC West) gives him a chance to show what he can do as a No 2. Good luck Andre; you will be missed by many fans.

10. By monroe on Mar 5, 2014 | Reply

Cardinals got there burner from Indianapolis Teddy Williams 4:29 40

11. By ored on Mar 5, 2014 | Reply

need more than just straight line speed,have to be able to get open,catch and retain possession,and stay healthy…number of reasons track stars don’t always translate to the gridiron…why the right guy gets the big bucks.

12. By Scott H on Mar 5, 2014 | Reply

Ah, well…so much for hoping for Roberts returning. Hard to believe he’ll be back when he’s making comments like these. And maybe he’s just telling it like it is. Maybe the team wants to move in a different direction and maybe he knows that. But it’s hard for me to believe that the team may “giving up” on him because they believe he is going to get so much more somewhere else. I just don’t see Roberts having that kind of value on the open market. Maybe he’s a #2 WR in this league, maybe he’s not. He sure has not proven that yet at this point in his career. Is someone going to pay him #2 WR money to find out that maybe he isn’t a #2 WR??? It WILL be frustrating to see him land somewhere else to be in the same role he was in here for the same $ that we could have kept him for. But that also won’t necessarily be the team’s fault.

I gotta feel sorry for Roberts, though, in regard to how things have played out for him so far with the Cardinals. During the time the team needed someone to step up and complement Fitz in the offense, our QB’s were SO BLOODY GOD AWFUL, the whole offense was terrible. How was Roberts supposed to prove anything then??? Then, Carson Palmer comes to town and we finally have a legit QB and it’s just in time for Michael Floyd to unleash himself on the world and steal the show. Just not enough balls to go around after Fitz and Floyd got theirs. I was actually surprised that his numbers were as low as they were when I read this article.

Man, I REALLY gotta stop hoping for stuff leading up to FA. Because as soon as I start hoping for it, I see an article like this sayin’ it ain’t gonna happen.

13. By clssylssy on Mar 6, 2014 | Reply

I really hate to lose Roberts who has become a really solid and reliable player and good edge runner but politics and Cap issues are what they are and hopefully he will land with a good team and have the opportunities to advance his career that aren’t available here in Arizona. While Floyd is beginning to come into form, I always expect he will drop the ball but don’t with Roberts; he seems to come through in a clutch, is diligent and devoted to honing his craft. “Little Fitz” has been mentored by the best in the league and wherever he goes he will be a good reflection upon the Cardinals. I just hope that he leaves with a good feeling about his time here in the desert unlike others who have left with bitterness that has served to drive them. Good Luck Andre…you will be missed but are beginning a new adventure!

14. By monroe on Mar 6, 2014 | Reply

I can assure you teddy has more than just straight line speed having played defense he understands the offensive wide receiver roll

15. By Dr. G. on Mar 6, 2014 | Reply

Scott H – Clssy –

I’m a big Ftiz fan; please do not construe these stats to mean anything other than reasonable expectations of Robert’s future – These 2012 stats are more realistic than 2013 since the emergence of Floyd and other WR’s coming into the mix to skew the stats. – – Here is 2012 – –

Andre – 64 of 113 Rec for 56% and 759 yards – Avg 11.9 in “15” games.

Larry – 71 of 153 Rec for 46% and 798 yards – Avg 11.2 in “16” games.

Analyze these numbers for yourself. They testify for themselves. Simple facts.

Jason Licht ((a familiar face)) will try to sign Roberts for the Bucs… He knows what Roberts can produce… this is not just a rumor. The Bucs need help at the 2 spot, and Roberts will fulfill it effectively – a classy guy whom I have enjoyed watching for the Cards. I hope Andre likes Tampa…. …Be well…

16. By clssylssy on Mar 6, 2014 | Reply

Dr G…
    I hate stats especially when you are talking players in a dependent role. WRs can only catch balls when they are targeted. The signal caller determines who gets targeted so it is what it is. The fact remains that Fitz had 10 TDs which is what really counts, Floyd had 5, Roberts had 2 or 3 but didn’t play as much. Fitz is normally double or triple teamed but can still come through like a young pup, plus he can block with the best of them, is an allarounder. Floyd is a work in progress but seems to drop one or two before he makes a big play, he’s got size and BA uses him like Whiz used Larry back in the day. The Cards have, IMO, one of the best receiving corps around which has been our strength since we had Q and Fitz as a tandem (a lot of good it did us when we didn’t have a QB who could get the ball down field!). Andre is a good edge runner and seems to come through in the clutch, partly I think because he has been overlooked. He has been getting a lot of good press and I know the Bucs have the cash and the need to make him an offer, but I’m not sure that organization has their act together yet and would really rather he end up with Whiz as I think the Titans have more potential, although I do like Jason Leicht. I don’t know if it’s the Burmuda triangle thing but those Florida teams seem a little toxic and I would hope for better for Roberts as he is a quality young player…just say’n.

17. By Dr. G. on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

clssy – Au contraire, Card fan…. Stats do matter – they are everywhere in sports, just as in the recent combine, and that is why we keep score as opposed to kiddie soccer. Stats are key in evaluation of skill, speed, size and strength. The makeup of a player determines how he can be effective… e.g., Fitz can block and Roberts can run by him. This is an oversimplification… but the point is made. Each player has his own set of positives / negatives…

My interpretation of what you wrote is that other things are very pertinent as well as simple receiving stats. This sorta ties in with what Darren posted about the O-line – there are so many obscure things that happen, intuition and plain observation adds value for player critique…. Most evaluators hit the stats first; it is a necessary initial approach to good drafting and signings. Please tell us you don’t really “hate on” all the work done for us on stats…. Be well…

P.S. I prefaced my prior post by asking not to construe the stats – it was presented to showcase Roberts effectiveness. Fitz has been a superstar – Andre has been a very good support WR. The stats do shock some fans though. What did we really have here?

18. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G. –

Thanks for weighing in but ….c’mon, man. 2012 is NOT a season I would look at in terms of being representative of ANYTHING in regard to stats for Cardinals WR’s because the QB situation during that season was JUST SOOOOO DAMN HORRIBLE. How damn horrible was is? It was so damn horrible that even a future HOF’er like Larry Fitzgerald was taken down by it.

Fitz has been here during plenty of seasons during which our QB’s were pretty average, to say the least, yet he always managed to be productive. When Warner found his groove again at the end of his career, Fitzgerald played at historical levels of greatness ( tied a post-season record for TD’s previously held by Jerry Rice ). But…I know you know all that.

The point is, 2012 was not a season that holds any validity in terms of Fitz’ productivity because the QB’s and the offense in general were so bad that year. And, really, who did opposing defenses possibly have to concern themselves with during that season BESIDES Larry Fitzgerald??? No disrespect to Andre Roberts – whom I like very much – but do you think opposing teams were concerning themselves with stopping HIM??? I doubt they were. Those defenses KNEW Fitzgerald could hurt them and they were able to smother him because they didn’t have to worry about anyone else. And I believe the attention they HAD to pay to Fitzgerald went a long way toward making things easier for Roberts.

19. By Dr. G. on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

Hey Scott – I don’t disagree with anything you write. Fitz would have super stats if Whiz had decent QB’s for some 3 years… Andre would have better stats also…’cuz he was really the #2, wasn’t he? They both had to play in the stormy eye with atrocious helmsmen… I just think Andre could have been acknowledged for always being there…. Be well….

20. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G. –

Yes, I hear ya. Maybe I made too much of that. Seems we pretty much look at Roberts the same way. I still hold out hope he will stay here in Arizona. Truly a solid player who may have much more to offer than what he has shown to this point. Just PLEASE don’t ley him land in Seattle of San Fran, ya know?

21. By Dr. G. on Mar 9, 2014 | Reply

Scott – Yep…. Don’t want Roberts in the West for sure. We don’t want to root against him. I have been placing him in Tampa with Jason Licht or maybe TN with Whiz. They both knew him well – He will be gone at 4PM EST on Tuesday…. later….

2. Mar 4, 2014: NFL Trade Rumors - Cardinals WR Andre Roberts Doesn't Expect To Be Back In Arizona Next Season NFL Trade Rumors - |
  3. Mar 4, 2014: NFL rumors: Andre Roberts doesn't expect to re-sign with Cardinals - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites
  4. Mar 6, 2014: NFL Rumor Roundup: Bengals Might Cut Dunlap, Manziel No Longer Hot, Dolphins Trading Everybody | Vikings Territory
  5. Mar 9, 2014: key6 geo1 | key5, geo1 | key6, geo1