Cards sign TE John Carlson

Posted by Darren Urban on March 7, 2014 – 2:27 pm

The Cardinals made their first “big” free-agent signing Friday, getting tight end John Carlson to sign a two-year contract. Given the uncertainty at the position — Jeff King, Jim Dray, Jake Ballard and Kory Sperry all have expiring contracts — someone was going to have to sign to fill the spots.

Carlson has been battling injuries since he came out of the gate strong for the Seahawks back in 2008 and 2009. He has had concussion issues. But he’s had production in this league and makes sense (assuming the Cards got him on a contract to their liking, which is probable.) He spent the last two years in Minnesota.
That will probably be it until next week. The Cards will be talking to agents, but signings/agreements for most free agents can’t commence until Tuesday afternoon at the earliest.
– Spent the morning at Arizona State’s pro day. The Cardinals were well-represented with 11 people, including nine coaches (many of whom helped run the position  drills.)
Defensive lineman Will Sutton looked good and weighed under 300 pounds. It will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “Cards sign TE John Carlson”

1. By Big Ken on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Bargin basement.

2. By Rich on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Hearing that Carlson signed a two year deal for just under $5M. Not worried about his talent, but really worried about the concussions. He was talking about retiring several months ago. Wow! If he’s healthy, he and Housler make a heck of a duo. But the concussions….the concussions………….

3. By Big Ken on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

I wonder if they are giving Carl Bradford consideration.

4. By dan on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

So Darren,
    Which Free Agents can visit/sign now, and which have to wait until Tuesday?

5. By D on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

His melon must have checked out okay.
    Will Sutton probably a late 3rd-4th range
    I like Ra’Shede Hageman more for the Cards at DL-6’5 310-trenches are for big dudes…

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Dan –

RE: FAs

If you were released, you can sign now. If you contract is simply expiring, you have to wait.

7. By Dr. G. on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Why’d you have to mention Sutton’s name? I have a soft spot for the local ASU boys coming out. Fans will love this guy; that is, if Keim figures a way to give him a shot. He is ranked as high as 65 on some polls… 2-4 round.

I would like to see the terms for Carlson’ $4.65 mil / 2 year contract. This looks like a “good if it works out” type signing. As well as a blocker that Arians wants, I hope he morphs into an offensive weapon. Keim surely has other TE’s to pluck from the draft or FA to enhance the Cards’ offensive arsenal.

8. By Jsoully on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

I understand that multiple sundevils were showing good fundamentals, but because of the pressing need at linebacker and safety, do you think that the Cardinals paid special attention to Alden Darby and Carl Bradford? I mean I definitely understand Will Sutton as a possible Darnell Dockett replacement, but currently the only strong safety on the roster is Tony Jefferson and John Abraham (35 and still kicking) needs a replacement.

9. By andystandsup on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Is Jeff King officially retired or not, Darren? Is he still on the (a) team’s radar?

10. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    I’m curious, BA said he wanted a blocker type before a pass catcher TE. On all I have been reading his is an average blocker, was this a smoke screen play? Kind of doesn’t fit ? Or is this more of a move so that when the draft comes they wont have to pick a TE with their first pick and can focus on an OT?
    They haven disappointed with all the FA signings last year so I guess they seen something in him!

Go Cards!!!

11. By clssylssy on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Just when I was beginning to get excited about the “New” Cardinals, it seems that was all an illusion. Why the Cards would thrown $5 mil on a guy who has had “concussion issues” and has been battling injuries since 2008 leaves me speechless. I mean, there is a ton of talent out there and…rofl…oh well! I’m beginning I’m the one who needs to get a head check for hanging in for nearly twenty years!

12. By Hammy on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

I really like this signing, since he is healthy, I think he makes a huge difference. Welcome to the team John!

13. By Chuck 1 on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

I would hope that the Cards have some sort of “escape” clause regarding his concussions. Swope eas a draft choice, so there was no financial penalty.

14. By joe holst on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Carlson is a stiff. value though with a cheap contract.

15. By georgiebird on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

How much of Carlson’s $5M is guaranteed??
    I like Carlson. But after all the injury problems at the TE position, it would seem that SK and BA would avoid a guy with some injury concerns.

16. By Dave Murray on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Hope this isn’t like that guy they drafted with all the concussion issues and never ended up playing.

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Jsoully –

RE: ASU

I think the Cards were doing regular due diligence for the school down the street. I don’t think it’s necessarily any indication they are eyeing closely any Devils.

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

andystands –

RE: King

He’s not retired. I don’t expect him back.

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Kauai –

RE: Carlson

They need TEs. He was available. I don’t think this closes the door on any other possible moves.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Guaranteed

No idea at this point.

21. By Cards4ever on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

They disappointed with FA signings? Umm.. Karlos Dansby, John Abraham, Eric Winston.. You consider those disappointments?

22. By steve on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Darren: This might close the door on drafting North Carolina TE Eric Ebron in the 1st round or any tight end in the first 3 rounds?

23. By Coach K on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

I heard Carlson is a good blocker, but has hands of stone. I don’t know about this signing. Hope he was super cheap.

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2014 | Reply

Steve –

RE: TE drafted

25. By Coach K on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

Don’t forget about Joe Don Duncan in round 6. This is a small school guy with some serious skills. Huge hands and some wheels. He is only 6’3″ and around 260 lbs, but there is a huge upside for this guy. Comes from a very athletic family and is one of those over-achieving, work-horse guys. He reminds me of Health Miller and Jason Whitten in terms of work ethic, but 2 inches shorter and raw. A real value in round 6, if he is there.

26. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

I kinda like this signing. I think Carlson is a very good pass-catching TE if he stays healthy. The recent history of injuries cannot be ignored but he looked pretty good and made some plays last season for a Vikings team that was quite un-settled at QB and at the receiver positions. It would certainly seem he should be capable of being productive here..

But, really, given the extent to which this team uses the TE as a pass catcher in recent years….what’s the point of getting upset OR excited about a TE signing right now??? I’m not investing much of either feeling in this one. Again, if he’s healthy, he’s a solid player.

27. By Dre on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

I really like this signing. John Carlson is a major upgrade over Jim Dray and can push Rob Housler down the depth charts.

It seems like his numbers (stats) in Seattle started to decline when Pete Carroll took over as head coach. So hopeful he wants to stick it to his ex-coach at every possible opportunity.

As far as concussion issues, I’m not a Doctor and I’m sure he was checked out by the teams medical staff, so Its not my concern. All I care about is can he score TDs.

Scoring TDs from all of the AZ Cards TEs to date has been PISS-POOR-AWFUL.

I’m really hope Jake Ballard can step it up this years as well. Coming in mid-way through a season and playing catch up can be challenging for anybody but at least, to his credit, he was able to contribute a couple of TDs.

Rob Housler is a huge disappointment and I hope he becomes the new Ryan William for 2014…on the wrong side of the active roster each week. Heck, if the Cards cut him all together, they only lose 171,023 of dead money.

I really hope the Cards continue to upgrade the TE position through this years draft. And by all means don’t bring in a lame late round pick.

28. By Chris Lewis on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

I’m sorry Rich, but you’re being too optimistic regarding Carlson/Housler, mainly because Housler sucks. He’s been in the league now 3 yrs., he only has 1 touchdown in those 3 yrs. and has way too many dropped passes. After 3 seasons, most players either improve or they’re out of the NFL altogether, well, news flash, Housler hasn’t improved, if anything he’s digressed. I’m tired of hearing people say this is Housler’s breakout season, how many times can that be said before everyone realizes it’s not gonna happen. I think Arizona should move on from Housler and let him be someone else’s project. As far as Carlson, I don’t know much about him other than he’s a liability with his concussion history, but at the same time I’m sure the front office has already thought about that and made sure he’s medically cleared before they signed him. Also, Minnesota isn’t exactly an NFL powerhouse these days, and they cut Carlson, so I can’t get too excited yet with this signing. If we snag one of the top tier offensive tackle free agents, then I’ll start getting excited. Don’t get me wrong fellow Cardinal fans, I think we got a hell of a team going into the 2014 season, but Carlson isn’t a top notch signing, he’s a complimentary piece to the puzzle. I’m sure Keim’s not done though, and the coming weeks should be interesting. GO CARDS!!!!!

29. By tyman on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

good move

30. By Dr. G. on Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

Cards Fans – I am just going to try to hang back without critique until we get closer to camp. From a good business perspective, there must be some outs / insurance for Carlson and no guarantee, and if he moves on to succeed, fair enough.

I have to keep in mind that the team will bring in another 40 – 50 men totaling about 90 in order to make the camp possible. When they shave the roster a couple times during pre-season, that is time to get really serious. So until there are major FA or draft signings with some guarantees, I won’t sweat much. It’s just fun and intriguing to observe the process and hope some Diamonds come forth…

I’m still thinking OT – TE ((weapon)) – QB ((as protege to Palmer)) and a handful of men on Defense to maintain our wrecking crew. If Stanton was starter material, other teams would have inquired about him by now, even going back to Indy. His time is nearly gone. We need a QB for the future – the future is soon! …Be well Cards fans!

31. By Cactus jeff on Mar 9, 2014 | Reply

I interpret BA saying he wants a blocking TE, meaning he wants a TE who can block better than Housler. if I am right, Carlson fits his needs.

32. By clssylssy on Mar 9, 2014 | Reply

I think Dr. G has the right idea, although much easier said than done! I see all of this abundance of talent hitting the FA and see the Hawks and 9ers continuing to build an arsenal of weapons, because they can. Both of our western rivals seem to be in the catbird’s seat, being pretty set already plus having money and draft picks to secure their future. Meanwhile back in the desert, the Cards aren’t really doing anything impressive while the Rams have some high draft picks and are already knocking on our door! It doesn’t look like Keim has made any headway with Dansby and I just read that Karlos would probably go to the Texans. I wish I could say I’m not sweating it or find it fun and intriguing…LOL! Nor, with Keim’s/Bidwills spending philosophy am I expecting any big sparklers…maybe some cubic zirconia, I was very encouraged by the way we ended our season as it looked like we were on the cusp however, I;m beginning to wonder if the Cards aren’t in the position of “always a bridesmaid, never a bride”. Nevertheless, I’m hoping anyday to be “WOWed”!

33. By Chris Lewis on Mar 9, 2014 | Reply

Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I believe Abraham is a FA, if so, we have to sign him and/or Dansby. It’d be nice to sign both, but we have to at least sign one of them. I thought for sure Dansby would stay another yr. or two, well we can’t blame the Cards brass, as they made him a very fair offer considering his age. It’s going to be a really tough division (the toughest in the NFL in my opinion) in the upcoming season with the Hawks, 9ers, and Rams (who should be vastly improved this season), but I think Arizona will be up for the challenge. I can’t wait, it’s gonna be an exciting 2014 season. GO CARDS!!!!!

34. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2014 | Reply

Chris Lewis –

RE: Abraham

You are wrong.

Abraham is signed for 2014.

35. By Big Ken on Mar 12, 2014 | Reply

I was hoping for Zac Miller if he’s released by Seattle.