As free agency draws near

Posted by Darren Urban on March 10, 2014 – 10:27 pm

Free agency arrives soon — 1 p.m. Arizona time Tuesday. So here area few thoughts on Monday night:

– It’s going to be very interesting to see what happens with Karlos Dansby. Kent Somers reported there is a two-year deal on the table worth between $10 million and $12 million — which is right around the APY that D’Qwell Jackson got from the Colts. I’m sure Dansby would like a longer deal. I’m sure the Cardinals, looking at a player who will turn 33 this season, aren’t going to go longer. Is there another team willing to pony up more? And is that enough to sway Dansby? No matter what happens, I expect Dansby’s decision to come quickly this week.

UPDATE: NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport is reporting Dansby likely going to Cleveland. They would money-whip him. It wasn’t going to happen in Arizona.

– There wasn’t much new percolating Monday about tackle Jared Veldheer, whom the Cards are expected to make a pitch to when free agency starts. Whoever the Cards chase at left tackle, that too figures to come together quickly. GM Steve Keim said that even with the early free-agent talks, the Cards want to talk to a potential signee (and check him out medically). So I’d guess this year’s free agency has a good chance to be like last year’s — quickly moving, but still nothing official until Wednesday at the earliest. Will the Cards add five players in the first two days, like last year? Probably not that many. But I’m thinking there will be some additions.

– Kicker Jay Feely re-upped with the Cards Monday (nothing officially announced yet.) There’s a possibility the Cardinals can re-sign a couple of other guys before they hit the market. The move to release Daryn Colledge is coming Tuesday too.

– Aside from a left tackle, linebacker and defensive back are other potential positional free agent targets. Mike Jurecki tweeted Monday night the Cards could look at veteran CB Mike Jenkins. Again, the Cards should move quickly this week. The idea in free agency isn’t to collect a bunch of starters necessarily as much as round out the roster so the Cardinals have a lot of flexibility come draft day.

Tags: , , , , ,

26 Responses to “As free agency draws near”

1. By jonathan legarda on Mar 10, 2014 | Reply

Lets go cards lets get veldheer n add a good cb to help pp21 n fix the punt unit!!!

2. By Ed Lesko on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Want are the chances the Cardinals go after Golden. Tate? I bet Michael Floyd and He would work well together.. Old Notre dame teammates.. I believe.

3. By Big Ken on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Dansby had better watch out. His thirty minute decision window will close and his offer will be fed into the paper shredder.

4. By Nick Pepe on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

I’m excited to see what happens in free agency. It’s not too often that we’ve had the luxury to “compliment” a winning teams roster.

Gonna have to bring the phone charger with me today!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

5. By navysully on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

If the Cardinals get a LT and CB this week (starters) where do you see the Cards going with the 1st pick?

I am guessing that has a lot to do with what Dansby decides?

6. By georgiebird on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

I hope the Cards stand firm on Dansby. He will regret going to another team.

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Ed —

RE: Tate

I don’t see it.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Navysully —

RE: First pick

A long way to go. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a pass rusher or a safety.

9. By mdcards4life on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren, with the announcement of Revis being released by Wed if there’s no trade offers, do you see the Cards make a play to team him up with P. Peterson??

10. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

mdcards —

RE: Revis

Nope.

11. By Dr. G. on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

I’ve always wondered what Free Agency would look like if it were scheduled “after” the Draft or even simultaneously… The Draft could be held in April.

The ambitious agents would balk and the Union would have a stroke in the pandemonium! Much of the teams’ guessing would have been resolved by FA then…

Just thinking out loud…

12. By Andy Kw on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Fine Karlos Dansby, if you want to leave go ahead. We don’t need you anyways. Why waste our time on a guy that doesn’t even want to be here?

13. By Coach K on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren, what do you think Emmanuel Sanders would bring to the slot receiver position for us? Big time deep speed and a players who knows B.A.’s offense. Doesn’t Sanders make more sense than Tate?

14. By Matt11 on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

We need another CB So then Peterson get more help.

15. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: Sanders

I do believe Sanders makes more sense but that doesn’t make it likely.

16. By Dr. G. on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Bill Polian rates Dansby as a C+ risk…. That will not help his case. The chest pounding does not help him.

Keim is “The Man” here; he presents a fair offer… I hope he doesn’t let “shopping” mess with his numbers… I like Los as a player, and want him back, but not at an exorbitant cost…. Good day today!

17. By Infitzwetrust on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

I think arizona got the best dansby has to offer. No way he repeats the same production coming off of a contract year. Let him go play with the bottom dwellers in cleveland; let cleveland also sign him to a 4year deal and have cap hell 2 years in. I bet los is looking for the most guaranteed, and longest, money contract he could get.

18. By Dr. G. on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren – Draft before FA…

I am going to have to go back and look at 2011. I remember the lock out, but I did not look at what happened in FA. Frustration was the norm then coming off 5-11 in 2010.

Thank you… I did not remember this. I wonder what it would be like on a permanent basis….

19. By Itsallinthecards on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren, how do compensation picks work for parting free agents? It looks like we are going to lose Andre Roberts and Karlos. Under what circumstances would we get compensation picks in next years draft and how do they determine which round the pick will be in.

I hate losing Karlos, but if we can get a decent pick in return that wouldn’t be the end of the world especially with Minter waiting in the wings.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

itsall —

RE: Comp picks

It’s a “secret” NFL formula that takes into account FAs lost, FAs signed and their playing time.

21. By ored on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

i too think we got dansbys best,still would like him for 2 years,but not by handcuffing our future,this is where keim and most other GMs differ,he refuses to get us in a long term potential bad predictament.so now we look to the future and see what we got in the cupboard.

if we fill the tackle position we have gained the most even if dansby leaves,get some depth at linebacker,get the safety we need,the deep threat and kick returner,now we can use our TEs and the running game should improve,maybe some depth at DE…we have 6 picks to go with our returning injured and a real o-line(fingers crossed).

22. By Andy Kw on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Bye Karlos Dansby, it was nice knowing you.
    -Arizona Cardinals, impress me on the first day of free agency please!!!!!!!
    Right now I could care less if Karlos Dansby comes back, make some nice signings and make the team a playoff team.

23. By clssylssy on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

I’ve been told that it looks as if Andre Roberts is ready to sign with the Redskins at 4 EST and they are also talking to Sproles agent, which is something of a relief that they won’t be in the NFC although we do play the Skins this year. I will hate to lose Dansby but feel he’s been made a generous offer and am still hoping he will see the light and come around. If he is honest with himself he will see that his best bet to get a shot at a SB ring is to stay put and be even a more explosive force this season. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out as I watch where are former players end up as well as who we get to replace them. La Garrett Blount might make a good replacement for Rashard Mendenhall and I would have loved to get a physical player like Donte Whitner but I’m sure they will go where the money is, Was happy for Daryl Colledge who ended up at #37 on the Top 100!

24. By Dr. G. on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Veldeer – Reportedly signed 7 year 5year deal with the Cards… Stupendous….. I hope he stays healthy.

Goodbye to Dansby – He reportedly signed with the Browns. Money talks for him… Who wants to play for the Browns? Next man up – Minter – Git’er done… The drama is over….

A good day so far Cards Fans….

25. By Dr. G. on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

Hey Carson – Quickly, get Veldheer a Segwey too before the season starts!

26. By clssylssy on Mar 11, 2014 | Reply

7 to 5 years sounds like an eternity for any player from the Raiders…just don’t see it in light of Keims fear of “dead money”. Hope it works out and he protects Carson here than he did there. The Browns???…geez and I thought Miami was an armpit! The good thing is that there’s not a lot to spend your money on in Cleveland and he can plan for retirement…lol just sit at home and count your stacks of money! Still would like to see some “beefing up” on our defense with a veteran ILB in addition to Minter who is still inexperienced.