Adding a cornerback. Maybe Cromartie

Posted by Darren Urban on March 13, 2014 – 6:00 pm

It’s been well reported by now former Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie is visiting the Cardinals. Kent Somers reported Cromartie will stay until Friday, which was the original plan. Negotiations are ongoing. Will he sign? I don’t know. I’m guessing there is a chance the Cards have at last set parameters about what they want to offer, and Cromartie has to decide if that is good enough. GM Steve Keim and his group spend a lot of time breaking down their free agent targets and what they are worth. They go into every negotiation with a player with a number in mind. I don’t see why Cromartie is any different.

The Cardinals need and want to add a cornerback. Cromartie might be at or near the top of the list, but I’m sure he’s not the only one on the list. As Keim has said a few times, they will extend offers they think make sense. If the player decides it doesn’t work, the Cards move on. Sometimes it can be revisited — I think Karlos Dansby was in that boat last offseason — but the Cards and Keim won’t be rash and they won’t panic into spending more than they should or want to.

If he did sign, you’d think he’d drop right into the other starting spot with Patrick Peterson. Reserves would be Tyrann Mathieu, Justin Bethel and Jerraud Powers, and there is still the draft and guys you could look at later in free agency. If he doesn’t sign, there are others on Keim’s board. (No, other than the much speculated upon Mike Jenkins, I have not heard any names.) Cromartie would be a nice addition, but it’ll be on the Cards’ terms if it happens.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Adding a cornerback. Maybe Cromartie”

1. By bo on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

I was laughing earlier if it was DRC who came out of the Cardz building with a contract.
    But no really ether Cromartie would a huge upgrade at our number two spot. The possibility of grabbing both makes me sweat.

2. By blake on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

hey darren,
    kind of a stupid question i guess but do you know if they are taking CRO out to dinner? thats usually a good sign?

3. By irlfannphx on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

Would LOVE to see AC end up here. He and PP21 would make one of if not THE best tandem in the league.

4. By Robert on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

Gotta love that Keim does things on HIS terms. If Cromartie is willing to take that pay cut like he had already said he was willing to do with the Jets, then I say sign him up for the Bird Gang!

5. By Credit Card on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

Cromartie would be a nice addition. His “numbers” last year looked very average. Between Paterson, Bethel, and Cromartie the Cards would have nice size at the corners. Decent speed with Mathieu, Powers, and Arenas.

Need a hammer at safety Johnson, and Jefferson have good instincts. Mathieu has special game instincts.

Be interesting — if they land Cromartie. He’d be back at warmer weather and away from the NY media and fan zoo base.

6. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Any Safety on Cards radar?

7. By kiedis98 on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren

I like all the pick ups since fa has started, could you give us an idea of where are cap is right now. Also do you think we will have enough to sign PP to a long term deal this off season. Also as of the pick ups we have today, what are the biggest needs our team has going forward. Thanks, avid follower of the blog.

8. By Hammy on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

If we indeed sign Cromartie, its a huge plus for our defense. Combine his athleticism with Peterson and we are easily the best defense in the league! Im not just saying that because I am a fan, Add a young fast outside linebacker at draft, and watch out. Kudos to Keim and his staff for putting together a winning team. I have a feeling our 5-11 type years are just a flash in the pan. Go Cards!

9. By spitzman on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

If cromartie is signed would they cut powers? His salary seems like alot 4 a backup.

10. By Dynosoar on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW,

That’s the best use of all caps I’ve ever seen. Darren & Andy, that was a fun break from a busy day.

I like the idea of Cromartie. What if we got DRC back as well, two Cormartie’s and PP, now that’s some depth. I’d pick Antonio first, but man… this time of year is for dreaming.

There’s magic in the air.

11. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

Blake —

RE: Dinner

I don’t know.

12. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren- Is DRC on the Cards list at all…???

13. By Eazy E on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Cro and Jenkins would be nice! Either or both would too. Deep CB class in the draft also. Dennard, Gilbert, etc.

14. By Chris on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Darren, do you think DRC is on Keim and Arians’s radar? I know there’s a lot of fans who would love to see him in Cardinal red again.

15. By Dave Chaney on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Kiper’s latest mock shows the Cards taking a CB so if they would add DRC, it leaves more options in the draft. I am very happy about the stance the front office is taking this year. The team is getting stronger where they needed to. Let’s keep moving toward the top! Thanks for all the valuable updates Darren.

16. By Big Ken on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Darren, speaking of maybe, there’s talk the Titans will rework Chris Johnson’s contract to make him more tradable. Any chance he comes to AZ?

17. By Eric G on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

This FA period is shaping out to be one of the best ever for the Cards. Hope we can sign Cromartie.

18. By Rich on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Any word on Lorenzo’s foot? Last we heard, coach was still worried about it. With Dansby and Brinkley gone, wondering if they couldn’t slot Lorenzo in as an ILB.
    Also, any chance they’d resign Brinkley at a lower salary?
    Also, is there ever any discussion of Acho moving inside?

19. By Jsoully on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Patrick Angerer is still on the open market, do you think a young linebacker like himself would fit into the Cardinals defense? (Granted: he might be cheap help, $3-$4M per year for a starting linebacker)

20. By Coach K on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

I think AC should also consider the value of playing for a winning organization that could be in the Superbowl as soon as this year. How much does that play into his decision?

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Safety

Not that I have heard.

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Spitz —

RE: Powers

I still expect Powers to be here. But I never say never.

23. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

NJAz, Chris —

RE: DRC

Since DRC reportedly turned down a 6-year, $54M offer from Denver, I’ll say no. And I might’ve said no anyway.

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken —

RE: CJ2K

25. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Alexander

I think Lorenzo is getting better. Brinkley signed with the Vikings. I haven’t asked anyone about Acho.

26. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Jsoully —

RE: Angerer

He’s hurt. And who is he starting over? Minter is a second-round pick. They want him to step up.

27. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Kiedis —

RE: Needs

Still need depth at CB. Safety who can cover TEs. Young pass rush. DL line depth.

28. By iammattyoung on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

I love that the Cards are addressing positions of need with free-agency (LT, WR, CB) so that we can focus on long-term solutions for other areas of need going into the next few years (i.e. S, OLB, DE). However, I’m not a huge fan of Cromartie. He’s not really a leader in any way shape or form, and the game is starting to pass him by (kind of like Yeremiah Bell last year). I’d much rather see us go after a guy like Captain Munnerlyn from Carolina.

29. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

iammatt —

RE: Munnerlyn

He signed with the Vikings.

30. By Big Ken on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Turned down a six year $54M offer from Denver? That guy is nuts!

31. By red bird of death! on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Antonio is a welcome fit across from PP we need that type of secondary NOW people!

32. By Big Ken on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

RE: Needs There are some decent FA defense players still out there. I see Neal signed back up with Green Bay.

33. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Looking forward to hearing the cards signing of Cromartie. Hope it happens. A Big Physical WR who can line up against Boldin as PP battles Crabtree.

Or He can take out Kearse as PP takes out Baldwin and Honey Badger matches up with Percy Harvin.

Either way you look at it, signing Cromartie (Antonio) allows the front 7 to add a SS eight man front and get after Beast Mode and Gore.

34. By Russ on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Fingers crossed fro AC to join. If Champ slips it would be nice as a late pick up like Dansby was last year, convert to Safety or nickle and cover TEs, hoping the lure of playing for one of the best defenses ever would get a reduced cost. So far I’m VERY impressed with Keim’s sophomore run.

35. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Cards grade so far;

OLine.
    Bringing in a true LT in Veldheer was huge and should instantly make the line better. Getting first round pick Cooper back will make the left side a strength of the team. The right side has potential and question marks at the same time. Is Massie and Watford ready? I think so. But I have to say, great improvement so far.

RB –
    Addition by subtraction. Getting the ball in Ellington’s hands is key. As BA said, the offense will be built around him. I like Taylor and he can catch the ball out of the backfield as well as pound the ball up the middle. Dwyer is a wait and see. Big body who can fill a back up roll. Can’t see any role for Williams.

QB – Palmer and Stanton were brought in last year to give us a professional QB with experience. Palmer ended the merry go round of QBs and I look for him to improve greatly this year.

WR – Larry and Floyd can be a top duo in the NFL. The addition of Ginn gives the team that legit guy who can stretch the field. 30-40 catches this year but a big play or two a game. Need some depth here though.

DL – Campbell, Williams, and Dockett did a great job last year and Rucker is back in the fold. Need our big guy to get healthy to help in the middle and a little more depth.

OLB – Okerfer and Acho missed last year with injuries. In the meantime, Abraham had a huge year and Shaughnessy showed up he is versitile enough to get a two year extension. I think this group is interesting. Acho is in a make or break situation. Are Okerfer and Acho the future or a couple of back ups?

ILB – losing Dansby hurt but the cards did draft arguably the best ILB in the draft last year in Minter. Minter is a thumper who will play the run better than Dansby but will give up a bit in coverage and sacks. I would say he comes off the field in passing situations. DWash is as good as it gets. Willis gets the attention but washington is every bit as good. Depth?

Safeties – Huge question mark for the team. Not addressed in FA. How long will HB be out? Can Tony Jefferson step up? Rashad Johnson is nice depth but is he a starter. This is a wait and see position.

CB – PP is one of the best CBs in the league. Powers did ok, but if we can snag Antonio Cromartie, our secondary gets a huge boost. It will be interesting if Bethel can get on the field also.

The draft;
    Without seeing how the rest of FA pans out, It is difficult to see how the cards draft but here is what I see.

Blake Bortles would go number one if I was the Texans and their are too many teams between 1-20 for him to fall to us, but Bucky Brooks thinks he could fall like Aaron Rodgers did. He is the only QB that excites me.

Calvin Pryor is a hitting machine. I think Clinton Dix is not as physical but is better in coverage. Just depends what you are looking for. But I think a young safety will be drafted.

With Docketts age, I could see depth at DE and maybe NT in this draft.

If Cromartie bails, there are a few young CBs who would fit in nice. I could see this being address early if Cromartie isn’t signed and possibly not at all if he does sign.

I think adding depth to Wr should also be a priority. Not a slot guy as I was wanting before Ginn signed but a guy to play behind Fitz to give us a little leverage with Larry next year.

36. By Andy Kw on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    How was the 2nd meeting with Antonio Cromartie today? Is there any chance that he will sign here by the end of today or did he already leave the facility?

37. By Andy Kw on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Lets lock up SS Chris Clemons and reunite him with DC Todd Bowles. He will be cheaper than many options left but we should still consider SS Major Wright. We can bring in Cromartie and strengthen our CB position. If possible, we could resign Yeremiah Bell as insurance because I don’t think any team will sign him. He will provide nice depth at the position. Clemons and Wright are younger so making these guys our future would be cool.

38. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Cromartie

I don’t know if there was a “second meeting.” I don’t know if he will sign. I don’t expect anything today but things can always change.

39. By pat p is the future primetime on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

wow this is getting me hyped, if AC is signed imma go bunkers… Darren, do you feel theres a chance we can pick eric ebron, calvin pryor? what about davin joseph in FA? I feel davin is a sleeper pickup

#birdgangbabyyyy!!!!

40. By Coach K on Mar 14, 2014 | Reply

Assuming we sign Cro to play opposite PP, then I think the following draft prospects would fill the needs:

1. Kony Ealy, DE to rotate and learn behind Dockett
    2. Martavious Bryant, WR, to be the 4th receiver and a home run hitter
    3. Deone Bucannon, SS, could step in immediately and enforce the middle
    4. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Can rotate and learn behind Abraham
    5. Seantrel Henderson, RT, Huge upside with the right coaching/mentors
    6. Ross Cockrell, CB, added depth in a pass happy league

41. By William Barry on Mar 15, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I watched the Combine on NFL network, it would be great if we could sign Cromartie……some great WR’s Ryan Grant, Eric Ebron at TE or Anthony Denham at TE….OL liked Billy Turner….your thoughts please……..

42. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2014 | Reply

William —

RE: Draft prospects

Sure. They all sound good.

Honestly, my head is in free agency right now. We’re still far from the draft.

43. By ored on Mar 16, 2014 | Reply

with another successful free agency,draft will be BPA as it should be.

2. Mar 14, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | In the wake of the free agency week
  3. Mar 15, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Tweets between friends (PP and Cromartie)
  4. Mar 16, 2014: Adding a cornerback. Maybe Cromartie | STL Directory