Cards add a cornerback (no, not him)

Posted by Darren Urban on March 17, 2014 – 1:54 pm

Everyone is waiting for news on free agent Antonio Cromartie. There is nothing new to report there. But the Cardinals did re-sign cornerback Bryan McCann to a one-year deal Monday, which gives them options both on special teams and with depth in the defensive backfield. McCann came back last year after the Teddy Williams injury to help on special teams, but he nearly made the active roster coming out of camp.

This does not preclude the Cardinals from adding another corner, whether it be Cromartie or someone else. (Mike Jenkins, someone whom the Cards reportedly have interest in, was scheduled to visit the Buccaneers today.) That position definitely remains in play in the draft too, especially high, if no one of import is signed in free agency.

With Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie signing with the Giants today, the price of Cromartie — the best cornerback remaining in free agency, just went up. Which might have been why Cromartie was waiting in the first place.

– The next episode of “Tenacious,” the occasional video series chronicling the rehab of safety Tyrann Mathieu is coming this week.

– We also, with it being the bracket-picking time of year, have our second annual Cardinals Bracketology page looking at the top plays of the past season as they battle for the respect of the fans through votes. The No. 1 seed?  Michael Floyd’s TD catch in Seattle. Last year, the 16th-seeded play, guard Senio Kelemete’s freak catch in the season finale, upset everyone en route to a title. Let’s see how it plays out this year. Click here to watch the plays and vote every day.

McCannBackUSE

Tags: , , , ,

32 Responses to “Cards add a cornerback (no, not him)”

1. By Big Ken on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Mr. McCann is certainly motivated, good to see him back. I hope he shows something in camp.

2. By charles on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

WE need to add some talent, last of season we jumped and got a whole lot of talent, we havent made no moves other then get an OT, seems everybody is making serious moves and we havent done anything if we are trying to compete against the seahawks and niners, front office needs to step up.

3. By Rich on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Glad McCann is back. He was terrific on special teams when he came back. He knows Bowles system……can give us a little nickel / dime depth if we need it.

4. By azjam on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Nothing to get excited about. Doubt he makes the final cut.

5. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

It seems to me that with the number of his potential suitors declining, his bargaining position has decreased. Two teams pased him by to pursue DRC (Giants and Jets). Now the clear 2nd and 3rd rung CBs are now getting visits as well (Jenkins). Free agency has moved now to the next tier of contracts. Those teams left on the market are not willing to wade into the money Cromartie wants. Rumor has it that the Jets are also not willing to match an offer from the Cardinals. If the Jets had signed DRC then I think Cromartie might have had another bargaining chip if the Giants had pursued him. But they didn’t so he is left with the Cardinals offering him a contract that is less than he wants, his former team apparently being even less interested in offering more than the Cardinals, and no other suitors willing to step into the discussion. It seems to me that Cromartie may have boxed himself into a corner.

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Mark –

RE: Cromartie

Except for the fact the Jets now are desperate to get a corner, because they had been hoping to get DRC.

7. By Robert on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Obviously Charles has no idea what he’s talking about. After we took care of our greatest need by signing LT Veldheer to a reasonable contract, we added a #3 WR/KR/PR in Ginn to fill another need. In addition, we re-signed Zastudil, Rucker, Shaugnessy, and added depth on the O-line and at RB. Our major needs now include S, CB, and OLB. To solve the CB issue, the team did its due diligence by “exploring” the option of Antonio Cromartie, who was very poorly rated as a CB last year. It’s okay to sit back and wait for this first wave of FA to die down. Winston, Mendenhall, and Dansby weren’t signed last year until training camp.

8. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Darren- With all of the Cards injured players from last year will any of them be ready by the start of training camp. ie Cooper, Williams ???

9. By D on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Cards have around 5-6 mil to play with (need to keep $ for draft picks and emergencies) I say we resign E. Winston at Right Tackle and pick up C. Clemons at Safety, then get ready for the draft….

10. By cdubb on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Sounds like the Jets have BEEN desperate for a CB, because they were hoping to sign DRC.

Not6 that he is a bad player, just a player that doesn’t respond well to pressure and being pushed to the limit. Why did he decline the Broncos offer? Well my opinion is that the job came with to much pressure for DRC, with Denver hoping to make another SB run.

11. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

NJaz –

RE: Injured players

Most are on track to be back at camp, yes.

12. By Big Ken on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

We signed a prize young veteran left tackle. Took care of some of our guys who were on the roster last year. I say so far so good. My Gatorade bottle is always half full.

13. By birdnerd on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Free agency has a little different flavor for me, Don’t get caught up in all of the free agency frenzy, of which team is getting all of the big name free agents. I really like to focus on value. Yes, teams can spend $40 m on a 5 yr contract for a DRC or $9 m for per year for some other overvalued FA, but I look at it in terms of impact of team chemistry, and what it does to your cap in the next year or two. How many times do we see a big name FA signed for 5 yrs, and two years later they are cut and dead money comes into play, and young star players (PP) are frustrated when their contract negotiations become a stumbling point due to dead money or overly inflated contracts due to the love of winning the name game in FA.

What happens to PP’s attitude if we sign Cromartie at $8 m per year (avg) and PP is living with his $5 m but there isn’t quite enough to have his contract re-done anymore, and Antonio keeps getting beat by 2nd and 3rd receivers, and the Mathieu’s and dime package, CB’s that are making 1/6th of what Antonio would be making and performing at a higher level, what does it do to the cohesiveness of your group? If you value a guy at a certain price, stay true to your board…create good contract habits rely on your convictions…like a pilot relying on his instruments when there is no visibility. Don’t get caught up in reactions, hold true to the process.

14. By georgiebird on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

with DRC and Antrel Rolle on the Giants’ defense, I hope the other nine guys can tackle- especially in the cold weather games.

15. By Andy Kw on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

I have to agree. Let’s bring back Winston and sign SS Chris Clemons. We probably can’t bring in the expensive CB anyways. We can hope to draft J Gilbert in the 1st or draft SJ Baptiste in the 3rd.

16. By Coach K on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Good signing. This league is all about building depth. In fact, the more I think about this draft and how deep it is in talent, the more I think the cardinals should try to MOVE DOWN for more picks. With a draft this deep in talent (deepest in 20 years according to Mayock) it makes sense to move down and get one or two more picks. Maybe trade out of the first round and take an extra 2nd and 3rd round from someone. This would make perfect sense both depth wise, and financially. What say you Darren?

17. By Cactus jeff on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

I like Antonio Cromartie because he is a long armed DB who could cover, at times, the the best TEs in the league. Also, I really liked Winston at RT, resign him, In the draft I like the idea of continuing to get more speed at WR and more size on the DL and more depth at LB.

18. By jason on Mar 17, 2014 | Reply

Charles-

By saying “last year we jumped and got a whole lot of talent” you have to be referring to re-signing Rashad Johnson and signing FA’s Jerraud Powers, Yeremiah Bell, Jasper Brinkley, Drew Stanton, Antoine Cason, Lorenzo Alexander, Rashard Mendenhall and Matt Shaughnessy….because at this time last year these are the players we had signed. Not sure how that group is better than Jared Veldheer, John Carlson, Jonathan Dwyer, Ted Larsen and Ted Ginn plus re-signing our own players Shaughnessy, Ballard, Bernard, Feely, Zastudil, Ta’amu, Rucker and McCann.

We didn’t sign Dansby until May and Abraham until July last year.

19. By clssylssy on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

I would have preferred DRC also (considered the better Cromartie and somebody we know) but now we just have to play the waiting game. It would appear with the “arms race” on between the Broncos and the Patriots most teams are focusing on defense and so I’m not expecting a top safety or a corner to drop in our lap…the Cards aren’t exactly in the same league financially to be competitive. Still, I would like to see us build some depth on defense if we are to stay in this and make it to the playoffs, I’ve been a Jared Allen fan since he played for the Chiefs and also wonder if any thought had been given by BA to James Harrison, who I realize is getting old in football years but would still provide us with some mass and “fear factor” to match Seattle? Actually the fact that there hasn’t been much action in this FA by the Hawks or the 9ers (or the Cards) makes me kinda smile at the thought that the West seems to be sending a message that we are ready for whatever is thrown at us and to just BRING IT!

20. By ored on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

it seems you can never win,complain over previous management and cap/contract situation,get new management working to correct previous missteps and now some are complaining when we don’t dive back into horrible contracts and more cap misery,we already went down that path,so give keim a chance to complete his plan,we all want it,and want it now,but can’t be blind to the consequences.

another cb,a safety,sort thru pass rusher options,and some depth,we should be good to go,should be an interesting draft.

on a side note,maybe jets just wait for us to sign cromartie and pick up whomever we cut,if we cut cason he would get a fresh start and maybe make something of it,i still believe he can be a starter .

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

Coach K –

RE: Move down

I wouldn’t make that call until I was on the clock and knew what was on the board. You are also assuming someone will want to move up.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

Darren , Coach K, others

Darren’s point is valid. Who knows who is on the board at 20. Maybe the guy we love and never thought would drop is sitting at 17 and we jump up to get him.

Let me say, if a good trade presents its self, I usually am for a trade down. When we picked 5th and took Peterson, I thought we were a long ways away and would have benefited more from trading with Atlanta and getting two 1′s, a two and 4 to help rebuild.

With that being said, I think the cards brass will play out every possible move and decide that path as it is presented.

But, assuming we want to move down, the best possible chance would be if Derek Carr is sitting at 20 and someone like the Texans, Browns, Jags, Raiders, ect, who want a QB , decide to trade back into the first round to land their guy after passing on one in the top of round one.

Last year, The Cowboys dropped from 18 to 30 and netted a third rounder. Would it be worth the drop from 20 to 33-38 and net a third rounder? How much are you giving up to pick up that extra 3.

I think it comes down to who is on the board. If Anthony Barr or Kony Ealy fell, do you stay and pick? What if Barr, Mack, Ealy, Gilbert, Lewan,and Pryor are off the board and Carr is there, does that make it more appealing to trade down?

With what we did in FA, I don’t think we are desperate for any position, so getting more picks is appealing. I just think the right players have to be gone and the right players have to be there to get someone to trade up.

23. By Jeff on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

cromartie is just not worth the money he will be asking for. his first choice is the jets, and i don’t see him turning down an offer from them that is even close to what the cardinals are offering. i’m sure he considers himself as better than DRC (i agree), but DRC is younger, so there is no way he gets a long term deal like that.

24. By erik m. on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

I just want to call it right now on the slight chance I look smart. Asante Samuel will be a the Cards #2 corner. Not sure how he has performed the last year or two, for some reason I just have this feeling he will be the guy signed further down the road.

25. By Coach K on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

Darren and John. I agree with both of you. Of course you have to wait until draft day and make that decision depending on how the board looks. But if your top two coveted guys are taken and lets say Carr falls to us, then we have to consider how much can we gain by moving down. I see the quarterbacks all sliding in tis draft, except for Bortles who I think is a top ten guy.

26. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

By all accounts it sounds like the Jets are disfunctional. They have not been really working to bring Cromartie back. I think if he waits another few days without a decision he will be left to the mercy of whatever team decides to sign him. I think he has lost almost all of his leverage. (Honestly, signing him never excited me. Not just because he had a horrible year last year, but mostly because his off-the-field reputation makes him sound like a collosal scumbag.)

27. By Eazy E on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

McCann I like on special teams and as a cb. Now for Cro and Jenkins… Their are some nice cbs out there. Samuel, Bailey, etc.

28. By br on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

I have been posting quite awhile now that we should trade out of 1st rd (assuming top 2 CB’s are gone and Martn/Notre Dame is gone and of course Bortels gone) I think any other position can be had in later rds with not that much of a drop in talent and believe we can at the very least swap 2nd rd positions mving up of course and get an additional 3rd pick or if no swap of 2nd rounders because team we trade witht picks lower than us the I think we can get two picks or even 3 picks if it is Carr that is sitting there when we go on the clock. God please trade the pick cuz I pray Cards dont waste 1st rd pick on him. Also very intrigued the T out of Nevada Botila……never could spell dang it!!! But I believe y’all know who I’m referring to. As long as the Cards can steal Logan Thomas 5th rd or later I will be a happy Cards fan regardless of who else they draft

29. By br on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

Gonna throw out a couple of small school RT’s to keep an eye on Matt Hall/Bellhaven &Matt Feller/Bloomsburg. The Hall kid out of Bellhaven is huge and he played OG at Ole Miss starting as a Freshman would love to see him in Cardinal red!!! He is shooting up draft boards lately but is still in the 250′s overall and in the mid/late teens for OT’s. But i have always loved thesmall school sleeper/underdog type players.

30. By Coach K on Mar 18, 2014 | Reply

If Bortles some how falls to us, I would find the fastest person in New York to run that card to the podium as fast as possible. When I break down film of this guy, the hair stands up on the back of my neck. He has the “IT” factor in everything he does. When the chips are down, he find a way to pull out com from behind wins. In the Fiesta Bowl, I was amazed how he handled the Baylor blitz on almost every pass play. He was calm and simply hit the backs in the flat, and sent his receivers on out and up routes hitting them in stride. His calmness under pressure and always looking up field is exceptional. I hope by the grace of God he falls to pick #20.

2. Mar 17, 2014: Cards add a cornerback (no, not him) | STL Directory
  3. Mar 18, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Jenkins visit and the shrinking roster of March