Eric Winston elected NFLPA president

Posted by Darren Urban on March 19, 2014 – 9:32 am

Eric Winston, currently a free agent but the Cardinals’ starter at right tackle last season, was elected president of the NFL Players Association Wednesday, replacing the outgoing Domonique Foxworth. Winston, who has started 119 straight games in his career, has been active in the NFLPA since 2010 when he was named one of the player reps for the Houston Texans. He has served on the NFLPA’s finance committee and the committee for agent discipline. It makes a ton of sense. Winston is intelligent and he understands the ins and outs of the business that is the NFL.

UPDATE: It’s been a big day for Cardinals and the top of the union food chain. Kicker Jay Feely and linebacker Lorenzo Alexander were elected to the NFLPA’s executive committee as well.

Winston said at the end of the season he wanted to return to the Cardinals, but he knows the reality. He made about $2 million last year in an incentive-laden deal. I’m sure he’d like more and for more years than just one, but the Cardinals will likely approach his situation much like last year — looking for younger options, and seeing where Winston stands after those options are explored. Bobby Massie is still around as a potential right tackle and there is also Bradley Sowell, but the Cardinals figure to add another possibility there.

Someone asked if I thought Winston’s position as NFLPA president would hurt his chances to return to Arizona. I don’t think so. What would hurt his chances is if the Cards sign a veteran right tackle, or if they draft one. Winston went unsigned until training camp was opening last season. I don’t know if that will happen again, but it wouldn’t be shocking if it did. He is a smart, stabilizing force in the locker room, however, so if he is on the roster, the Cards get more than just an offensive lineman.

WinstonPrezUSE

Tags: , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Eric Winston elected NFLPA president”

1. By Travis on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

Claasy guy. Remember that rant he went on in KC? This is a smart guy with a great future off the field. Best of luck to him.

2. By Dynosoar on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

As much as I’m anxious to see what Massie brings to the game and as much as I love Coach’s philosophy of next man up, I really liked what I saw from Winston last year.

I’d love to see him come back and have another competition between him and Massie this offseason. Then we have the best player playing and a solid backup. Depth is huge, even if Buddy works to keep us injury free, they’ll still happen and depth gives better practices and backup for resting and injuries.

Let’s face it, few players/positions play every down (although… PP is certainly trying to play EVERY down.) Everyone needs a rest and if we have depth, we don’t lose a beat when someone comes in to give someone a breather for a down or two.

3. By D on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren-
    Has BA stated he would feel comfortable with two possible young players starting at RG and RT?

Thinking if Keim isn’t able to add a FA Right tackle, instead going with either Massie or a draft pick starting and the possibility of Watford winning the RG spot.
    Thanks

4. By Darren Urban on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

D –

RE: BA

Arians has made clear many many times he’ll play with young players. It gives Keim plenty of flexibility when constructing the roster. And it allows him not to make any panic moves.

5. By Rich on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

would like it if we can get Winston back for one year….and….draft another tackle. we’ll see if that’s possible.

6. By Eazy E on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

Very puzzling that Eric is still not a card. He probably ain’t ”asking” for 10 M a year. C’mon, get that done because while I liked Bobby in the 4th, production is production and his was rough when he got in there.

7. By Itsallinthecards on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

I love hearing Winston’s interviews on sports radio, because he’s a very sharp guy with great opinions but his play really fell off last year. PFF had him ranked as the 69th best tackle out of a possible 76 and Bradley Sowell was 76th!

I think on a very low cost deal I wouldn’t mind having him back but I think they have to give Massie a shot. He was terrific in the second half of 2012 ranking in the top 5 tackles in the entire league during that time. Hopefully now he’ll know the offense well enough that Bruce will feel comfortable putting him in.

8. By D on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

My Card’s draft as of today.

(I am guessing AZ will still pick up a Free Agent CB in the next two weeks)

Round 1: Either Hageman or Tuitt DE/DT
    Round 2: Mewhort OT
    Round 3: Bucannon S
    Round 4: Lynch TE
    Round 5: Latimer WR
    Round 6: Morris QB

9. By BrownRooster on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

The game is about making the greatest Impact both on and off the field. But also about the Character of the individual wearing the teams jersey. For every minute played on the field once the lights come on there were 10′s of hours put in preparing, refining and applied just to get each play down to perfection. So it’s great to see they continue to bring in the type of individuals who work just as hard in preparation as they do in games.

Why not have Eric Winston there, as not only a big body individual but as a leader when adjustments need to be made on the fly during play or offer a tip, another battle proven player can’t hurt you is all I’m saying. He may not be as mobile, young, or even the best available but if they can reach an acceptable deal I say bring him back. He knows the system and from what I saw and read about his person it’s all positive and would keep the locker room and practices where they need to be which would boast well for the younger players and help them thrive.

Darren, have you heard anything on how interested the Cardinals are in bringing Winston back?

(I’ve been following the Cards since I was a kid in the early 90′s and was inspired by players like Aeneas Williams, Simeon Rice and Pat Tillman to name a few. I volunteer coached h.s. freshman football/wrestling for 4yrs, now 6yrs working as a U.S. Army Airborne Infantry Paratrooper in a LRS Recon unit. It’s about the individuals you surround yourself with that you can achieve what most thought impossible. This team kept me motivated while in Iraq in 08′ and Afghan in 11′)

10. By fightingbird on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

Darren, reading the draft order that D posted do the Cards actually need a WR or a QB in this draft seeing what they already have in both positions, maybe use those slots for another position of need. I have heard all week on television that if Bortels is at 20 the Cards will likely choose him.

11. By Dr. G. on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren – Just a technicality here… Can Winston be a member of the NFLPA and/or an officer if he is not a member of a team?

12. By Cactus jeff on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

Don’t like it, he won’t be a Cardinal. Talk about distractions, this would be a true distraction.

13. By br on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

My solution(not that anyone gives a s&+$ lol) If Martin/ND is still around at #20 snag him. Resign Winston on our financial terms, plug Martin in at RG for yr or 2 depending on Winston’s level of play, then slide Martin over to RT. If Martin gone (which I believe he will be gone) trade out of 1st get some extra picks and pick up a RT in 2nd (hopefully using our extra pick in 2nd we obtained from trading out of 1st ;/ ). and do same put him at RG for year or two since most RT are flexible enough to slide inside with not many issues.
    Question Card fans: Your GM for a day…. Given the signing of Guin do you draft Cooks/Oregon St if he is still on the board when Cards are on the clock in the2nd round?? I say its a no brainer, an absolute yes, he is younger faster and can hang on to the ball more often than Guin seems to, plus Cooks can play outside. (He may not be faster but he is just as fast as Guin.) His upside is light yrs better as well, at least in my humble opinion anyway! Thoughts…Comments….

14. By clssylssy on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Winston is a credit to the Cards uniform and I hope to see him part of our team another year. Am very proud to see the Cards players have garnered enough respect to be voted to these prestigious position by the other players in the league and also saw that Fitz was voted the #2 best receiver in the league, with the best hands. Calvin Johnson beat him on size but I’d rather have a guy with great hands any day and Fitz’s athletic prowess. And to think that some Cards fans want to trade him in for a cheap imitation! Proud to have quality players like these guys on our team! GOOD JOB GUYS! CAN’T WAIT FOR TRAINING CAMP AND THE REGULAR SEASON!

15. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

fightingbid –

RE: Bortles

What you have heard is one mock draft (http://www.azcardinals.com/videos-photos/videos/Who-will-the-Cards-take-at-20/85d94a78-060c-4d58-ae36-46b3311190b5) saying the Cards would take Bortles. To say it is “likely” is, I think, very premature.

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G –

RE: NFLPA/playing

He has a year grace period. The reason the NFLPA needed a new president was because Foxworth did not play in the league in 2013. If Winston does not play in 2014, I believe he would have to step down.

17. By clssylssy on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Since Winston has come out with his opinion that the 18 week season is contrary to player safety and he is against it, I could see all the greedy owners and Goodell making sure he doesn’t play in order to force him out. I totally agree with Winston and applaud him for taking a stand against Goodell on this matter…shows he has integrity and the players interest at heart. Makes me that much more proud he has worn Cardinal red! Kudos for not being swayed by the pressure of the league!

18. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

If Bortles is there at 20, it would be another Aaron Rodgers story. A QB who should be drafted #1 overall falls to 20.

I am a huge Palmer fan and I see no need to draft a QB, but if you believe in BPA and the fact that you can’t pass up a franchise QB, then of course the cards will run that card up there as fast as you can.

And much like Rodgers, I would sit Bortles behind Palmer for a year or two.

But I cant see him falling. How could the Jags, Raiders, Browns and Vikings, all pass on him?

19. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

br -
    RE – Question

I love Brandin Cooks. The guy is a lot like Percy Harvin or Austin with the rams.
    But I do not see him being an outside wr in the future. With the signing of Ginn, I really do not see the need for him.
    I also cant see any way he falls to a late 2nd rounder.
    I could see a bigger wr being taken in the second to hedge the Fitz situation that will arise in 2015. (Fitz cap hit of 23 mil and Floyd in last year of contract)
    Therefore, I could see the cards looking more in round 2-3 for guys like Donte Moncrief or Martavis Bryant

20. By Dr. G. on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Darren – I was watching Bortels yesterday at his Pro Workout… He was good, but not perfect. The moderators seemed to go nuts thinking he should be the #1 pick; even JTDG jumped on board. I will say – one hell of an arm – an Arians desire!

Wow, it’s just hard to predict the emotional mindset some of these prognosticators take on… This is a forest for the trees thing again. Do you think Keim would take Ebron if he was there at #20, or does he think these average TE’s will suffice? Ebron can do it all and start NOW! Thanks….

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G –

RE: Draft

As of today, I would guess the Cards go safety or pass rush with the first pick. Maybe right tackle, depending on who is there. Don’t see tight end.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Dr G

RE: Jumped on board

Look in past post in January. I think you will notice I was the first to mention Bortles after I watched him in the Fiesta Bowl live. I said back then he is the top QB and will go #1 to Texans.

As for Ebron, I would agree with Darren. Arians said he likes his TEs to block first. This is why Ebron and Amaro are not going to be picked by the cards.
    The TEs he has are inline guys who force the defense to keep the LBs on the field and not go nickle. This way, he can find mismatches with TEs or get one on ones with Fitz or Floyd.

Ebron would put a defense into nickle, and if Ebron cant block for the run, there is no mismatch.

23. By br on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

I have been both a Bortels and Storm Johnson advocate for yrs now first started following UCF because they were in same conference as ECU (thats east carolina u for all the left coast folks out there) I live on the Carolina coast and have become a transplant ECU fan although still die hard ILLINI fan as well but both Bortels and storm have impressed the hell out of me for 3yrs now 2 yrs in storms case he is a miami tranfer. I truly believe alot of Bortels sucess is tied directly to Storm and his running ability. I pray to the football gods every night that somehow/some way Bortels will fall to us at #20 (i know chances are slim to none but a guy can dream cant he? Lol) but if by some miracle the Cards ended up with both of them on draft day I would worship the ground Mr Keim walks on!!! There is another RB out there that I would love to see in Cardinal red, he is a touchdown machine with good size plays for Towsen i believe, for the life of me I cant think of his name, but some nfl club is going to get a small school sleeper ( would be nice if it were my Cardinals but I realize cant have em all…..

24. By br on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

John the draft guy
    Sorry got on my UCF duo tangent and totally left out the Ebron point. I may be in the minority but I believe We are good to go at TE, certainly dont need to use a high pick on one. I’m a huge Ballard fan (very impressive in short time with Cards last yr) And probably one of the few that thinks “the light will come on” for Housler this yr and he will bust out in a huge way (fingers crossed that he doesnt just fade farther in the background) Carlson has had very impressive yrs as well so if he can get beck to early form i think we are set at TE. Seeing alot of Ebron living here in NC I have to agree with you on his assesment he is not the kind of TE BA prefers…but if he is sitting there at #20 he may be BPA or we snag him and look to trade his draft rights for some extra picks. Looking more and more like ILB depth & SS & RT will be are biggest needs, I just dont see OLB/Pass Rush End as that big of need we have plenty coming back from IR in my humble opinion…maybe take a chance on a raw talent diamond in the rough in 4th rd or later but dont use first three picks on OLB or TE.

25. By jason on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

I remember you posting about Bortels after the Fiesta Bowl…but, someone mentioned him before anyone was really even talking about him :)

Of course when I posted that NOBODY was talking about him so getting him after round 1 seemed plausible…I guess a strong showing in the Fiesta Bowl changes things. I think Kony Ealy would be our dream guy right now and I think there is an extremely slight chance he could drop to 20 but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Other than that I see us going safety or defensive line.

26. By Dr. G. on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – Sorry, I do not remember your prediction of Bortles going #1 over all, but I will applaud your clairvoyance and begin to eat my sombrero if he indeed goes #1. That would be an over-pick to some degree. In my dreams, I hoped he would fall to the Cards. This whole QB draft thing has been a lesson in hyped what-iffery!

The Texans inked Fitzpatrick today, and they may trade Schaub. So it is possible they could go anywhere with their 1st pick. I have not studied them in detail lately, but it seemed like Shaub was decent some time back and then the team went south…I think they were jinxed by Leinart! I question the staff there.

If they were smart, they would trade down a bit and still get a QB. There are other teams who lust after Clowney and a couple others… Be well…

27. By Dr. G. on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – I forgot one other thing… I would love to see the Cards wheel and deal to get Jameis Winston in the 2015 draft. That is also a dream, but Palmer is not getting any younger and we need his protege NOW, maybe next year at the very latest…