More “Tenacious” with Tyrann Mathieu

Posted by Darren Urban on March 19, 2014 – 4:40 pm

It’s time for the third installment of “Tenacious,” the occasional series about the rehab of safety Tyrann Mathieu as he comes back from his devastating knee injury. (Click here or see below). Mathieu is back on his feet, walking without a limp, so that’s a great sign. He can ride the stationary bike. He mentions he isn’t going to rush anything, but it’s really amazing to see someone progress after how torn up his knee was on that December day.

Best line of the segment: Mathieu is talking about the Biodex machine, the one in which he is strapped into and it basically forces his knee to bend little by little over time until he gets his full range of motion back. As you can imagine, it’s not always a pleasant feeling. (Despite Mathieu facing away from the camera, you can see his body shake and flinch at one point.)

“The Biodex is like my girlfriend,” Mathieu says. “She’s good for me, but she gives me a headache sometimes.”

He chuckled. I’m hoping his girlfriend sees the humor too. But it’s a good segment. Check it out. Another episode is already in the works.

Tags:

15 Responses to “More “Tenacious” with Tyrann Mathieu”

1. By jason on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

So nfl.com writer Bucky Brooks did a re-do draft for 2003 and in that redraft four Cardinals draft picks made the first round.

2. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

Mathieu is a warrior and deserves to come back strong and hopefully to never have another serious injury. His comment about his girl friend reminded me of a question a friend of mine once asked me….”Why do most men die before their wives?” I said that I did not know why….”Because they want to”, he replied. He was joking. I think.

3. By Dr. G. on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

A real trooper, huh? I can’t believe he didn’t tear his knee up worse trying to walk back to the sideline. When his knee buckled over sideways, I almost upchucked! Now, the trainers will certainly take more precaution when a player says he is OK….

Hang in there Ty… We need your tenacious skillful efforts and that grin of yours…. See you in camp…

4. By scott023 on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

This is one tuff guy, very determined and we are very lucky to have him as a cardinal. There is no quitting in him. He is a natural leader, he has drive of a bull. However, smart enough to heal right.

5. By AzDesertRat1953 on Mar 19, 2014 | Reply

This is outstanding that he is walking on his own and with No limp!
    Darren is the HB healing like or near to standards or is he going to be like AP and surprise us all with how fast he comes back from such a bad knee injury?

The young Man is “Tenacious”, that is for sure.

GO CARDS!!!

6. By Eazy E on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

I hope so too because I love women but some of them would take that comment out of context, all the heterosexual dudes know what I’m talking about.

7. By Eazy E on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Now see, with Michael Sam it would be his boyfriend!

8. By jeffy1951 on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

I am very happy Tyrann is a Cardinal. Not only because he’s a “baller” but because of his attitude and his obvious love for the game. I wish him the very best during his recovery and career. I hope he remains a Cardinal for a long time and that he understands how his positive attitude inspires people of ALL ages and from all walks of life to “Get Your Mind Right” !

9. By jeffy1951 on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

I hope Tyrann remains a Cardinal for a long time and that he understands how inspirational he is to people of ALL ages. His love of the game is obvious and his work ethic and T-shirt (which says Get Your Mind Right) say it all ! Good luck to Tyrann and the Super Bowl bound Cardinals.

10. By Andy Kw on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Tyrann, I’m with you all the way man. Get better and I expect a huge comeback season for you. Your injury will not hurt your playmaking capabilities. A Pro Bowl and Super Bowl Season is waiting for you this upcoming season

11. By mdcards4life on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

funny quote lol, i am crossing my fingers and hoping he can recover at full strength and back onto the field. we all are rooting for you Honey Badger, you represent what it means to be a cardinal; tenacious, relentless & to lead by examples. May GOD heal your knee & give you strengths, blessed is the one who is humbled in there heart. We’re all proud of you Tyrann.

12. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

The Biodex is brutal. Range of motion is everything… but that thing can be misused, praying for his tendons and ligaments to be like Spandex! He’s a stud, we need him.

13. By clssylssy on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Love watching the Honey Badger and can’t wait till he is back to full strength. I’m sure the Cards won’t let him come back before he is 100% healthy because he has too much of a future ahead of him to have it shortened by impatience and a premature re-entry onto the field a la RGIII. He is lucky to be where he is and have the support system he does. Arizona loves it’s Honey Badger and I’m happy to see we signed Antonio Cromartie to pickup some of the workload off. Should be an incredible season…Can’t Wait! GO CARDS!

14. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Peterson, Honey Badger, Cromartie, Jefferson…..
    Looks like the Red Birds have created a great, “NO FLY ZONE” in Arizona !!
    Very nice off season so far.

15. By Cactus jeff on Mar 20, 2014 | Reply

Sometimes less is more in rehab. He needs to get the swelling down to obtain full range of motion. I really wish him the best of luck! Great video.