Arians: “No reason” Cards can’t have home Super Bowl

Posted by Darren Urban on March 26, 2014 – 9:07 am

The subject is not taboo in Tempe, that’s for certain. Super Bowl XLIX, coming early next year after the 2014 season, will be played at University of Phoenix Stadium, and the Cardinals — after 10 wins last season and improvement — have mentioned the possibility of playing in the game. Just last week, when cornerback Antonio Cromartie was signed and team president Michael Bidwill appeared with Cromartie at his press conference, both alluded to the idea.

“You look for a team that has been a big-time contending team that is coming up for a Super Bowl,” Cromartie said. “A chance to play a Super Bowl in your own stadium would speak volumes.”

But coach Bruce Arians had the ear of the national media Wednesday morning at the NFL owners meetings, and not only did he address the idea, he emphasized his belief in his team making such a run.

“I ain’t afraid of it,” Arians said. “We played well at the end of the season. If we can do that early, the confidence of the core of the team is back. Our leadership is back. We are talented enough. Talent is not the issue. I told them that last year but they didn’t believe me until it was too late. There is no reason we can’t be the first team to play a home Super Bowl. Absolutely no reason.”

Arians has never shied away from being confident, in both himself and his players. He sets the bar high.

Super1BlogUSE

Tags: , ,

35 Responses to “Arians: “No reason” Cards can’t have home Super Bowl”

1. By 'Zona Fan on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Let’s do it!! Win this thing in OUR HOUSE baby!!!

2. By Joe Fischer on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

The Los Angeles Rams really had a home super bowl when they played the Steelers in 79. While not in the coliseum, the Rose Bowl was still in LA. It was a very good game, until late in the 4th quarter.

3. By Matt11 on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Perfect!! But when 2014-15 NFL Season began we need to battle and overcome the toughest threat in the NFL.

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

BadAss!

5. By Andy Kw on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

The Arizona Cardinals will be the favorites!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anyways, John the Draft Guy, Dynosoar, Coack K, here is my revisions to my Mock Draft:
    1.) DT Ra’Shede Hageman (Minnesota) 6’6” 310lbs
    -I know many prefer Kony Ealy or Dee Ford but Hageman has the strength. This guy is fast for his size and provides more strength to the Defensive Line.
    2.) SS Deone Bucannon (Washington St.) 6’1” 211lbs
    -I feel that this guy is better than Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. This guy is fast, hard hitter, and can support the run game. He is the player that the Cardinals absolutely have to draft.
    3.) CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste (Nebraska) 6’3” 218lbs
    -This guy is a converted Wide Receiver to a Cornerback, remind you of anybody (Richard Sherman)???? This guy can catch the ball and has excellent man to man coverage ability. I cannot express enough how this guy reminds me of the mix between Brandon Browner & Richard Sherman without the troubles on and off the field.
    4.) QB Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech) 6’6” 248lbs
    -He is the most impressive QB in the NFL Draft and could be as good as Blake Bortles or even better. He is fast, has a strong arm, and has serious star potential.
    5.) WR Jeff Janis (Saginaw Valley St.) 6’3” 219lbs
    -He is not the fastest receiver but he has shown consistency. I would prefer a faster receiver but he reminds me of WR Jordy Nelson. I don’t have much information on him but he could be a steal.
    6.) OLB Jordan Tripp (Montana) 6’3” 234lbs
    -Can support the special teams. This guy has serious passion for the game and he will work hard everyday. This guy is a must get.

Please more suggestions

6. By Dynosoar on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

The only reasons I can come up with are while I’m wearing my tin-foil hat.

Home field advantage next February!

7. By Dynosoar on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Some may say I predicted this, but temper that with remembering I give solid reasons before every season that we’re Super Bowl bound.

That said, with home field advantage we can’t lose. The Seahawks win will be a thing of the past, we’ll dominate.

Since we will have home field advantage, let every game in our house be a practice for the big game. Let the Red Sea rise and part for no team. Let’s be the most feared stadium to play in.

8. By LG on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Calvin Pryor from the cardinals to the cards I hope so

9. By Dynosoar on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw, John the Draft Guy, Coack K and others,

what would any of us give to be in Kiem’s war room and be involved in creating The Board? I’d just love listening to the discussion to see what goes into evaluations.

Darren, could the team have a contest? Whoever gets the most picks in a mock draft correct get’s a day in the war room next year (with understanding they can say nothing about players on any of the boards, but could talk generically about how thrilling and informative it was.) That would be an awesome contest.

10. By Darren Urban on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Contest

No one is getting in the war room. Sorry.

11. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

I agree 100%. In fact, I have already predicted it. This Cardinals team ended the year great, with the exception of the final game and 2 missed field goals. I truly believe that if the Cards can do what they did to begin with, they win the division and go all the way. This time they win the Super Bowl. Go Cards!!!!!!

12. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw —

Very impressive. That took a lot of time, I am sure. Very nice draft.

13. By Andy Kw on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Dyno —

That would be exciting but impossible to bring to reality

14. By Andy Kw on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Calvin Pryor is a built free safety and he lacks ideal size at the strong safety position. I would love to see him as our starting fs but we already have the great Tyrann Mathieu. Deone Bucannon is faster, bigger and more ideal for the Strong Safety position. We should draft him in the 2nd Round.

15. By james on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

I have a feeling Arizona will actually make it to their own home superbowl this year… :) But I think Baltimore will be their opponent this time

16. By Coach K on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Dyno, consider this blog OUR War Room. Together, we can use telepathy to reach into the real war room. I’m sure, at least I hope B.A., and Keim read Darrens blog. I’m sure if you see the same names mentioned over and over, you might remember that player on your board and give him a nod over another guy. As I mentioned before, there is a bunch of the bird gang making very good, sensible comments on this blog. As a former coach, I can see where they are coming from and many comments make perfect sense. Been there-Done that.

This is the most interesting draft I have seen in 15 years. So many good players. This is going to make the back end of the draft very important. Some blue chip players will be found in round five and six. I trust Keim is going to find those guys and make them Cardinals.

17. By ored on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

maybe not in the war room,but how about designating one pick for the fans,let us have a popular vote for a certain round,could even have a guideline given as to best choices and why,that way fans would be more involved than just as the 12th man or a source of revenue.make it the next step from picking all stars and probowlers,something that really counts,sort of make scouts out of the fanbase and also limited GMs,could be a fun way to involve those of us on the outside looking in.

18. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW and others, please go back to Deone Bucannons tapes.

Notice how stiff he is. How he is usually playing in short zones. He is a slower, smaller version of ADub.
    Bucannon will struggle with one on one. Sure he can hit, but he isn’t shutting down any NFL TEs.
    I just can not get on board with him.

Pryor is heads and shoulders above him. I think Jimmy Ward, although a little smaller , is better in coverage and can tackle. Ed Reynolds is another guy I like more than Bucannon.

Pryor is my first round guy, Ward my second round guy, Reynolds my third rounder. Who cares if Pryor or Reynolds are listed as FS. They both could play SS.

Dyno, mark me down as a no for Bucannon :)

19. By bigredfan on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Darren?

Have Veldheer and Cooper had the opportunity to meet in person as of yet?

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

bigredfan —

RE: Veldheer/Cooper

21. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Cardinals season ticket holders have a chance to get SuperBowl tickets through a lottery-type draft. Wouldn’t it be great if some of the bloggers here scored SuperBowl tickets to watch our redbirds win the SuperBowl at home in Phoenix? That would be awesome!!!

22. By Big Ken on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Interesting JTDG, no for Bucannon. Jimmy Ward thou?

23. By Tyrion Lannister on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Let not forget Cardinals fans . Although the 49ers have their issues beating the Seahawks in Seattle , The Cardinals HAVE NOT beaten the 49ers in nearly 3 seasons. Dont start looking ahead like your Coach Arians. Who said last year ” I dont see the dominance that everybody talks about in the NFC West” Then his team went 2-4 against the NFC West in 2013 while being swept by the 49ers for the second year in a row .. #underrated dominance

24. By Eazy E on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Y’all don’t really believe in Carson like that! We gotta stop this wishful thinking and be real, I’ve thought about it too but then #3 enters the picture and the cloud is gone. The QB is what it comes down to in most games and especially in the playoffs! We made our 1st and only Super Bowl to date because of Kurt Warner and that killer offense. It doesn’t matter how good your D is, if your QB ain’t right. Seattle has I think the greatest D in history because of a number of reasons but if they didn’t have a QB like Russell, they wouldn’t have been there most likely. In the playoffs, you face elite QBs such as Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, the aforementioned Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Tony Romo, RG III, Eli Manning, and so on and so forth… Not that each and every guy I named is elite yet, but they’re better than Carson. I don’t see it and y’all can thumbs down me all you want but I’m not typing this because I’m a hater because I never have and never will be one because I love when people prosper, this is nothing personal against Carson or anything, I just don’t believe and/or trust in him like that and he has 0 PLAYOFF WINS DAMN and ONLY 2 TOTAL PLAYOFF GAMES IN 11 SEASONS BESIDES HIM COMING IN MID-SEASON IN 2011!!!

25. By Dr. G. on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Aren’t the possibilities of the 2014 season exciting? To play in February, 2015, we have a number of men who need to heal up and pass muster… I’m always thinking of Mathieu, Cooper and Fitz’s wheels to top my list. Some of the new players we acquired in FA will fill the few holes we had. And, I am ecstatic about Veldheer being on board.

Arians always talked about taking care of our house and stealing a few on the road. That produces an 11-5 minimum record. It would be a much easier path to have field advantage through the NFC Championship game. The Cards stumbled along in the NFC West in 2013… That cannot happen again…they must dominate our division, and that will be a herculean task, but it can happen if we are firing on all cylinders and are lucky in the injury dept.

As for Palmer, he is not Tom Brady, but with this newly structured O-line, he should have time to at least do a yeoman’s job. One good thing on Palmer…he has been very durable most of his career. Levi set him up for some brutal sacks multiple times, but Palmer never complained, at least to the press. We need to draft a protege to keep things going in the right direction… I just can’t wait to get it on!!! Camp and preseason will be a huge deal this year… Be well Cards Fans…

26. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

@EasyE…it is true that Palmer does not have a play-off pedigree and I don’t think you are being disrespectful towards him in your comments. I doubt that many would classify him as an elite quarterback but I think he is a good quarterback, he is durable and with the expected improvements in all aspects of our offense this year (o-line, running and receiving), I don’t know why Palmer won’t have success in the play-offs this year. All he has to do is stay healthy and hope that most of his teammates do so also. There have been many non HOF calibre quarterbacks who have been to the SuperBowl. Some have even been MVP’s, like Rich Gannon and Joe Theisman. This is still a TEAM sport and I like our chances going forward.

27. By Dr. G. on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Easy – Andy – I think the 3 of us are the only posters who have gone back to last year with the awareness of the need for a #&%$#^@%@$ QUARTERBACK!!

JTDG – I would not trade #20 away until last minute depending upon who is there and superb offers… maybe…. You will come around on the QB thing eventually!

Carr, Thomas, McCarran among others could be the protege that the Cards need right now for the almost immediate future. If Bortles drops, I would celebrate. Our two backups are just that, forever backups. If Palmer goes down, Arians will be disappointed with what he has. I am thinking Keim and he are not perfectly in sync on this, I hope… Keim sees the future….Arians looks at the current roster… G’day

28. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Easy E
    To be totally fair & blunt Palmer hasnt exactly been on Super Bowl quality teams, not even playoff quality teams and he has still managed very impressive #’s!! If we solidify the right side of our o-line, and Ballard gets more “action” at TE (was very impressive in the short time he was with us) Carlson shakes the injury bugs and returns to form from a couple years ago and Housler finally “gets it” and finally has a breakout season Palmer will have no problem shining with all those weapons, and I didnt even mention the obvious in the F & F duo ( Fitz and Floyd of course) . Our one weakness, which is huge part of Palmer’s success is our ground game our RB’s need to show huge improvements. Our running attack honestly scares nobody, we need someone to step it up and be a big contributer btwn the tackles. Ellington is not going to be a workhorse 25-30 carries a game, BA has made that clear (man I wish we could have signed T. Gerhart (AP backup in Minny last yr) if Dwyer or Taylor or both can be the grind it out btwn the tackles RB’s and Ellington does his thing…look out I think Palmer is capable of having a “BRANNING” (Brady/Manning type yr) that includes league MVP & Super Bowl MVP! (All the while Logan Thomas is on the sidelines soaking it all in as Palmers protégé!!) Gotta lobby when i can for tje Cards QB of the future!

29. By Eazy E on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

JohnnyBlueNose-

Well, I appreciate your comment and you’re correct in certain statements but the NFL has changed a bunch since they played and got their teams to the Super Bowl. You must have a QB! Now, replace that bluenose with Manziel and we alright then.

30. By Coach K on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

I hope there is lots of trading on draft day and T. Lewan falls to us at #20, and T. Murphy falls to us at pick #52. Two local boys coming home and both would be instant starters.

2. Mar 26, 2014: Arizona coach Bruce Arians thinks Cardinals can become first team to play a home Super Bowl in Glendale | Audibles - SI.com
  3. Mar 26, 2014: Bruce Arians Thinks Arizona Cardinals Could Get To Super Bowl In Glendale | The Sporting Elite
  4. Mar 27, 2014: Bruce Arians: 'No Reason' Cardinals Can't Make Super Bowl | thacover2.com
  5. Mar 27, 2014: Bruce Arians sees no reason Arizona Cardinals can't make Super Bowl - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 270+ Sites
  6. Mar 27, 2014: Bruce Arians: "No Reason" Arizona Cardinals Can’t Make Super Bowl | FootBasket