Ellington’s no wideout, but 10 catches?

Posted by Darren Urban on March 26, 2014 – 12:17 pm

About five weeks into the season last year, Carson Palmer approached coach Bruce Arians to talk about rookie running back Andre Ellington.

“Let’s make him a wideout,” Palmer said.

“No,” Arians responded. “We can use him as a wideout as a running back.”

Arians recounted the conversation Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings. Ellington’s receiving skills are not only well-known but have been discussed quite a bit, by Arians, Palmer and Ellington. “We are going to have a lot of fun this spring because his skill set is so unique,” Arians said. Once again, Arians talked about the Ellington workload and the fine line between riding the running back and not subjecting him to too much punishment.

“He is still not a guy who you will pound up the middle 30 times a game and survive,” Arians said. “He can run the football 30 times a game if you do it correctly, but you’d rather have him have 10 catches and 20 carries and let Stepfan Taylor or (Jonathan) Dwyer have the rest of the carries pound the rest of the ball up in there.”

(Noteworthy that Arians didn’t mention Ryan Williams as a possibility? Perhaps.)

Arians said the mismatches offensive coordinators find these days with tight ends used to be the ones for running backs, naming old-school guys like Ronnie Harmon and Todd McNair. “It will be fun with Andre, see how people play him,” Arians said.

One other Ellington note: Arians said the staff has to be careful with how much of the offense is actually built around the back. “You’ve got to watch that you don’t create too much stuff and then he sprains an ankle and you don’t have any offense because you put too much in one basket,” Arians said. “You still have to have your cinch-it-up, grind-it-out football.”

Ell10blogUSE

Tags: , ,

59 Responses to “Ellington’s no wideout, but 10 catches?”

1. By birdgangrising on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Don’t know if it’s significant that Ryan Williams wasn’t mentioned. If he was Ellington’s primary backup, he wouldn’t get much planned playing time while Ellington is playing whereas Taylor and Dwyer would already be in the game plan as the “pounding” backs.

2. By azjam on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Ellington really is an excellent receiver and has the ability to break a long one as a running back. However, Arians is right on not overusing him.

3. By Coach K on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

B.A. is smart to use Ellington smartly. I’m hoping we can make a trade with someone for Williams. He deserves an opportunity for a fresh start. Would love to get an extra 6th round pick for him. As for the draft, I’m hoping Calvin Pryor is there for us in round one. Then, in round two, get one of those elite wide receivers.

4. By beardinals on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

10 catches?

5. By Big Ken on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

I’m with you Coach K, except Cooks in the first round and Bucannon in the second round.

6. By Dynosoar on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

no one in the War Room. I can dream can’t I?

I think I’ll watch Jeff Goldbloom tonight and see if I can figure out how he did it so I can be on the wall in there. (My obligatory, daily obscure reference.)

Coach K,

yeah, this is our war room so to speak. Kind of a fun room at that. I should put together a spreadsheet with everyone’s mocks and changes and see how it plays out. That would be a fun project and my wife would actually have some time to do what she wants. Haha.

7. By Dynosoar on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

The image included makes a nice wallpaper for my computer, although just a touch grainy, but it still looks sweet.

It just hit me how often Coach Arians talks about fun. “It will be fun with Andre, see how people play him,” Arians said.

Coach Arians has fun!

In almost every interview with Coach I read he speaks of how fun it will be for the game plan to play out or how fun this player will be in action or how fun… He enjoys this game! This may be a business, but BA’s living his dream and that’s fun.

I hope all of us are living our dream and consider what we do for employment as … FUN.

I know another thing that will be fun, a home field win next February.

(I can’t remember Whiz or Belichik (sp) or Tomlin ever talk about how much fun they’re having. At least Carroll looks like he’s having fun, a smug in your face only when I’m winning fun, but fun.)

8. By krehbieo14 on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Ted Ginn will take a lot of pressure off of our wide receivers and Ellington. Ginn is a great pick up who will challenge the best defensive schemes.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Dyno,

When he says fun, I think he is thinking about how fun the chess match is between him and the other DCs.

Much like Sean Payton had fun with Graham and sproles, seeing how DCs tried to figure out how to match up against mismatches, he is thinking how he can get Ellington out there and see how DCs try to cover him.

Do they bring out a safety or LB ? Well there is your mismatch. Do they bring in an extra CB ? Time to run against a smaller lineup.

Keep him in the backfield and motion him out, what does the defense do?

He probably has so many ideas and ways to use him, and just when the defense stops thinking for a second about Fitz or Floyd, look out. Not to mention the deep and crossing routes of sending Ginn deep and bringing Ellington underneath in space to catch the ball.

So many possibilities. That is why it is fun.

10. By D on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Not sure why the Cards would keep R. Williams as the 4th RB on roster when he doesn’t play Special teams.

Cards have to do a better job converting 3rd efficiency to get into the playoffs this year. Granted, the team will be more comfortable with the playbook and hopefully the extra second the new LT will provide Carson will help. It’s going to be interesting on how long it will take the Oline to jell since we could be talking about 3-4 new starters.

I think your right about the draft being heavy on defense players, they need DL/OLB/Safety. If they want that safety to make an impact this upcoming year while HoneyBadger completes his rehab, they will have to take one by Round 2 of the draft. The nice option of having Cromartie is that he is big enough to cover most TE and have Powers cover the other WR. Of course if they draft a impact pass rusher in Round 1 then the pressure is lessen on the secondary.

They will also most likely pick up another vet MLB this summer since they are thin and with a possibility of a DWash suspension. I would see if a Larry Grant could still play MLB as he did for SF for a few years. He is a UFA and I believe is only around 30yrs old.

11. By Dynosoar on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

Yeah, a chess match is a good way to describe what’s coming.

Between the improving defense and the emerging offense and Palmer getting better protection, this year is going to be fun. Highlight reels her we come.

I still love how often BA talks about how much fun this is.

12. By Dynosoar on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

John The Draft Guy, Andy KW and Coach K, anyone else who’s a long time draft watcher,

everyone seems to be talking about how deep the talent is in this draft. What are your thoughts?

13. By Big Ken on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Jared Allen signs with the Bears 4 years @ 32M. good grief!

14. By Andy Kw on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar,

The 2014 NFL Draft has a lot of talent:
    QBs: This position is loaded. First Round talents Blake Bortes, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, & Derek Carr are all ready better than the QB crop of 2013 (Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, etc.). Plus there are a lot of late round talents as well (AJ McCarron, Logan Thomas, Tajh Boyd, Jimmy Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray, etc.) The QB position is just really deep.

RB:This position is not as deep as the others but there are a lot of talents as well such as Carlos Hyde and Jeremy Hill. Last years RB class had a lot more explosiveness (Eddie Lacy, Le’veon Bell, Andre Ellington, etc.)

WR: Sammy Watkins is the first name to pop up. This position is decent. A lot of fast guys in the NFL Draft.

OL: This position is really deep. You can draft quality starters in any round. That is how loaded this position is in the 2014 NFL Draft.

The TE, CB, S, DL, LB, are all deep. All I can say is this years draft has the most talent

15. By Dynosoar on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW,

thanks for the thoughts and especially for comparing different positions to last years draft.

16. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Good to learn that Jared Allen is a Bear and not a Seahawk. That means we face him only once, at home, in the play-offs and not two or three times. As for the draft, maybe we could end up with another Los. Carlos Hyde to replace Karlos Dansby. I somehow doubt that we would take a running back in the first two rounds which is where he is projected to go. I’m still hoping we bring back Winston. That would give us a solid o-line with good back-ups. Looking forward to seeing what our roster looks like post-draft.

17. By CreditCard on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Any news on the rehab front for Acho and Okafor?

Do either of these guys have the skills to excel as an edge pass rusher, or are they more of a critical special teams player?

Also, didn’t Sowell once used to be a tight end? Do you know if he still has TE type skills, (if he loses a couple pounds).

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

CreditCard —

RE: Acho/Okafor

As far as I know, everything is good. Okafor is at the facility every day. As for their roles, we will see. I don’t know if Acho will develop into that kind of pass rusher. Don’t know enough about Okafor yet. Sowell is not going to be a tight end.

19. By All day on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Just wondering what makes you guys think we would take Cooks in the 1st? It’s not an immediate position of need… Personally I see is taking Ha Ha Clinton-Dix I think he’ll be there. A big hard hitting safety who can help seal up the secondary… As for a WR I could see someone in the later rounds

20. By Coach K on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

Oh my gosh, I just had a completely different take on this draft that makes more sense than any of my previous mocks. As usual, you guys can chime in.

Rd. 1- Xavier Su’a-Filo, G, UCLA
    Assuming Zack Martin, Pryor and Dix are gone, and assuming no elite receivers are on the board, I really like taking an instant starter who can play guard and tackle. Su’a- Filo is considered by scouts as a “can’t miss sure thing”. I like sure things! B.A.P.

Rd. 2- Deone Bucannon, SS, Wash. St.
    We all know what this guy can do. With Pryor long gone, this guy will bring the lumber and give us the hammer over the middle.

Rd. 3- Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    Could be a clone of Calais Campbell when he came out of Miami. This guy is long and lean with explosive moves. Exactly what Keim was looking for..Length.

Rd. 4- Christian Jones, ILB, Fla. St.
    One of the most athletic inside backers in this draft. This is the guy who has the speed to cover tight ends. He is a play maker. Plain and simple. Athletic depth in the middle.

Rd. 5- Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
    Most people are not familiar with this kid, but let me tell you on film, he looks like Fitz when he played for Pitt. Great size 6’3″, 215 and agility. Runs great routes. Overshadowed by a deep group of top receivers this year, but this guy is a hidden gem.

Rd. 6- Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, B.C.
    You want a pass rusher with quickness and tenacity. Kevin is the guy. Undersized at only 6′ tall, but this guy has a motor. Thick, muscular body and can hold the edge. Will contribute immediately on special teams.

Rookie Free Agent Steal- Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming. Was not invited to the combine and was pissed. Has a huge chip on his shoulder. This guy is 6-2, 209 lbs, and has 4.50 speed. This guy is a clone of former 49’er Steve Young. Good arm and is a playmaker. This has steal written all over it. I like him better than Manziel.

This mock is based on BEST AVAILABLE ATHLETE and adjusted to compensate for the compensatory picks granted this week which slid the board down a few notches in rounds three thru six. I’m betting all of thee selections are on the board when the Cardinals pick in each round. And, they fill most of the holes.

21. By Pete Dowdle on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

I would love to see Ellington break 1,000 yards rushing this season and/pr 2,000 all-purpose yards. If he can do either (or both), then I suspect the Card’s will easily find themselves in the post-season. Still, even without the gaudy numbers, I think Ellington’s presence opens things up for others to make plays. Do you guard against Ellington in the flat, in space, only to risk any one of the top three WR’s to make a play ten or more yards down the field? Do you guard against Ellington the RB only to see Ellington become a WR in a four- or five-wide set? Pick your poison. The Card’s have a star-in-the-making in Ellington, and then they have three former first-round WR’s taking the field the majority of the time. I don’t know of another team who can compare to such a pedigree…

22. By ored on Mar 26, 2014 | Reply

i think we are done for the time being on o-line(maybe an undrafted fa),looks to me that massie had a poor start to his rookie year and once he started to get it he was ok,same last year with new scheme and coaching,even winston,a vet,had the same problem and played better at the end,so now with the new stuff worked in i think we’re good to go and i think we see massie.so our biggest need was addressed in FA and now we can do as we please.i like shazier in the 1st,depth in the middle,has the speed to stay with any TE,and would be a qb seeking missile on blitzes…has both the speed and the flexibility to move around,if he can put on 10 pounds and keep 4.4 speed,i’m thinking a washington duo.i still have visions of okafors last college game,he was simply overpowering,if he can bring that to this level,then we have the future on that side.i’m still thinking we have two extra draft picks between coop and oky not playing last year,lots to look forward to.

between the o-line and the seconday either one could be strengths this year,keep it up,just stair step up different positions without going backwards anywhere and soon we’ll be dominant everywhere,already like the attitude fitz has of looking forward to playing san fran and seattle…iron sharpens iron.

23. By Andy Kw on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Coach K —

Well first of all, I’m glad that you are supporting the idea of drafting Deone Bucannon. Take that John the Draft Guy.
    There are only 2 players I like in your mock: Bucannon & Christian Jones. We don’t need a guard in the first round. We have Watford and the surprising Fanaika. We should focus on DT CB and OLB in the first. I’d rather this team go after Logan Thomas than Brett smith. The team does not need undersized linebackers. This team needs LBs that are big and fast enough to cover TE and WR. They need to be able to pass rush QBs by getting through those big OLs

24. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Alright, this is my first Cardinal mock draft;

1st round – #20 – TRADE –
    I believe either Carr or Bridgewater or both will fall to #20, I think teams will be looking to trade up from round 2 . Therefore, the Browns, who passed on a QB with the 4th pick will need to trade up.
    The cards drop to #26 and pick up the Browns 3rd round pick #71.

At # 26, the cardinals take Demarcus Lawrence OLB , Boise. This Bronco will rotate behind Abraham and then take over at OLB next year. He is a guy who will put up Double digit sacks.

2nd round – #52
    Kelcy Quarles DE. 6’4″ and 300 pounds, This guy is explosive and can split double teams. Is a little bit like the guy he will play behind and eventually replace (DD) . High motor guy

3rd round – #71 (from Browns)
    Donte Moncrief – WR – A faster bigger version of Anquan Boldin. What I mean by that is he is a great route runner, is physical, can block, makes dazzling catches, is reliable and tough. But he also runs a 4.4 at 6’3 and 220. Because of the strength and depth at wr, he falls this far.

3rd round – #84
    Ed Reynolds – Safety – Why do I like this guy? First, he is from Stanford, so you know he is smart. This is an athlete. He can cover TEs, he is physical in the run, he can tackle, but he is athletic enough to cover slot wrs at 6’2″ and 205 pounds. He is more fluid and better in coverage than Bucannon, has 3 inches on Ward, Just a solid addition to the cards DBs

4th round – #120
    Daniel McCullers – NT – At 6’7″ and 352 pounds, this guy is unmovable in the middle. He wont sack the QB, but in a division that likes to pound the ball inside, this guy will take on double teams and hold his ground while Minter and Dwash clean up.

5th round – #160
    Arthur Lynch – TE. Lynch is by far the best blocker of the TE bunch. But he also can catch the ball on short and intermediate routes. He seems to fit the type of TEs BA has brought in.

6th round – #196
    Marqueston Huff – FS – This guy will provide depth and special teams. I doubt if he will ever push to start over Honey Badger and Ed Reynolds, but he could be that third DB in dime situations and give that needed depth.

This draft gives us a big time pass rusher, depth at the DL, a solid SS who can cover TEs, a very good option at WR behind Fitz and a TE who could replace Ballard next year. I really like what this will give us this year, but more, what it does in the future.

25. By ChristianR on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Coach K

I like Su’a-Filo, but I don’t see the Cardinals taking a guard in the first round. This draft is too deep at the position, and people seem to like Watford. Drafting a lineman in the 1st round usually means a starter from day 1. It would be better to draft a guy in the later rounds to compete for the spot. If that pick is used on and edge rusher, then they can take snaps behind Abraham and be an immediate contributor while Abraham still starts. Either of the top safeties would be nice in the first, but the Rams probably won’t pass on Clinton-Dix (my favorite of the two) and that leaves a long way for Pryor to fall. We’ll see. I personally still like Ealy or Tuitt at this pick. I personally think that by the late teens in the 1st, Tuitt will be BPA, but no one seems to be high on him. Like I said, we’ll see.

I’m glad someone FINALLY brought up Latimer on this site. I’m an IU guy, so I may be a bit bias, but I’m a Latimer fan. He wouldn’t have an immediate place on the offense, but he would be useful if Fitz ever decided to leave (that cap number next year scares me). Not the kind who will win a foot-race with Ginn, but he is willing to go up and fight for it. Makes plenty of catches away from his body. And here’s something most people don’t consider much with WRs: he is an outstanding blocker. Nothing hurts worse than trying to run an HB screen and the corner gets back to make the tackle for a loss. With Latimer blocking, that wouldn’t happen. I could still see the Cardinals looking for a faster guy here, but Latimer will be a steal for whoever nabs him.

26. By D on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

John the Draft Guy

I like some of your players in your mock, like Reynolds and Lynch, but I don’t see the Cards having to move down because I predict a more impact Pass Rusher will still be on the board at #20.

My Mock:

Round 1- K. Ealy OLB. Stud Pass Rusher (next Aldon Smith)
    Round 2- D. Bucannon Safety
    Round 3- W. Clarke DE 6’6 275lbs -can replace DD in 1yr
    Round 4- J. James OT can compete with Massie at RT
    Round 5- X. Grimble TE blocking TE
    Round 6- K. Norwood WR

27. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

D

I’m not buying it.

Ealy is a good pass rusher, but I think D Law is a draft steal. If we could pick up an extra 3 and land a good OLB, why not?

I just dont get what you see in Bucannon? I really dont get it.

Clarke ? A 3-4 end ?? This guy is a 100% outside guy. He cant play the 5 technique like Dockett. He is a 4-3 end.

I think we have Sowell and Massie battling for RT. I dont think we need anyone else involved.

28. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Check out D Law’s highlights

Check out Ed Reynolds highlights. Look how he moves more fluid, flips his hips, is more athletic to cover TEs like Vernon Davis, oh and he can tackle too.

29. By Coach K on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

John the Draft Guy

Hey John, I actually like your picks. The only one I would not like so
    much is the overweight – obese McCullers. We have two fantastic nose tackles in Williams and Ta’Amu, don’t see the need for three. But I like all the other picks. I do agree that another guard in round one is not a need, but it was based on Martin, Pryor and Dix gone from the board. If any of those three fell, or Bortles, I take them first. Love Reynolds and Lynch.

30. By D on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

correction
    My 4th round pick was J. Hurst, OT from NC, played with Cooper, recovering from an injury, good right tackle.

31. By Coach K on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

ChristianR

I’m glad I made you happy by adding Latimer. After watching him play in four games, I had to pick my jaw up from the ground. Why this guy is not graded in the top two rounds is beyond me. He is a beast. Look at this short highlight vid, and especially at the end. Wow!

32. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Coach K,

My only thought there at NT was Williams is in his last year of contract I believe and Ta’Amu is injured. If Williams returns next year and Ta’Amu returns from his injury, I would agree.

33. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Christian R and Coach K,

I was impressed with the first route Latimer ran. Watch how he sinks his hips and comes out of the break. He sold that he was coming hard. That is what a wr should look like running a route.

His size is nice and he battles for the ball when in the air. Of course, these are highlights and there is a reason why he is projected to go to the 5th round.
    If I had to guess, I would say he doesn’t run the full route tree and he may not be as sharpe running all his routes. It looked like he rounded a few.

But as a 5th round guy who can sit behind Fitz and learn how to do it from the best, he would be a nice pick.

34. By D on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

John the Draft guy-
    I agree that your Stanford kid may cover better than Bucannon, but I was thinking SS to replace Bell, since Cromartie can handle any TE this year.

If Ealy is not there at #20, then I would take Hageman or Tuitt as the future replacement of DD in round one and look at a pass rusher in round 3.

35. By Eazy E on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

The offense should be built around your best player which is Fitz. Fitz got way too few deep shots and Floyd got them which I don’t mind some but Fitz is the ultimate deep threat!

36. By John Smith on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

I hope we try to snag his cousin Bruce in the draft, seems the Ellingtons are explosive in nature.

37. By Coach K on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

John The Draft Guy…

I like the size of both Moncrief and Latimer. Both have thick, muscular bodies and good hands. Both remind me of a young Fitz in the way they control their body. I also like the faster, taller Bryant. He is raw and needs to develop, but his ceiling is really high with that height and blazing speed. If we get any of these three, I cannot see any team matching up with Fitz, Floyd, Ginn and any of the above three on the field in a 4 receiver set. No way you stop that if Palmer gets 3-4 seconds to find the open guy. How about 4 verticals, and hit Ellington out of the backfield on a swing pass. Scary thought.

One last thing on my mock above, I do think we can go pass rusher and safety, or safety and pass rusher on the first two picks. The order doesn’t matter as long as we get those two needs. An offensive tackle or receiver can come from the third thru 5th rounds. As long as we fill the holes, I could care less in what order they get filled.

38. By Big Ken on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

John TDG, I like the slight trade back w/Cleveland. I say go with Logan Thomas with that 5th rounder if he’s there.

39. By Coach K on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

John The Draft Guy

Just finished watching tape on Bucannon. I see your point. He plays more like an outside linebacker. Perhaps we should expand our thinking to include Reynolds and Loston into the equasion in round three. Between all 6 or 7 of the top safeties, I think we can land a good one in the first three rounds.

40. By ChristianR on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

JTDG

The fact that Bucannon plays like a linebacker (because he once was) is really part of what makes him interesting in Arizona. Plus his height. and his 78 inch wing span. He’s well built. I like Loston more for his coverage skills, but the people who are sold on Bucannon probably see the size and physicality and think more of the potential there than what already is.

As far as Latimer goes, I know that these are highlights. I have family at IU, though, so I watch a lot of their games. Latimer is a good receiver. I agree with him going in the fourth or fifth round, but only because there are so many physically gifted receivers in this draft. Latimer’s not the most gifted athlete in this draft by far, but he has soft, dependable hands. He ran a pretty extended route tree in college, but you’re right about him rounding them out sometimes. That’s something he should work on. In a draft this deep, some rounded routes and a lack of elite athleticism can easily drop you into the fifth round. I like Latimer because he is a hard worker with dependable hands and great blocking, though. Moncrief I’m not sold on, but Bryant, Evans, Benjamin are all the same type of receiver, though, and with better athleticism.

And honestly/unfortunately, I don’t have any of those receivers on my mock draft for the Cardinals.

41. By Dr. G. on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

I skipped all the dialogue for now…will read it later tonight.

Let’s see now, we don’t want a TE who can be a significant pass catcher out of the back field who can take a beating, but we do want a small RB to be a “significant” receiver at 10 catches per game? Sorry folks, I am trying to absorb Arian’s approaches…. He said some time ago, “That’s what the WR’s are for.”

I thought the coaches learned that PP can’t just play anywhere and everywhere. Ellington is elusive, but he did mention concern for injuries if he overwhelmed him. Andre as a receiving threat, good, but I think it sounds quirky and unorthodox to have these mental images. This is not Pop-Warner….. And, this is not your first erector set….! Go for it – I am perplexed with such thinking….. He must be BS’ing, huh? The joke is on us….

42. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Coach K

Thank you for going back and taking another look at Bucannon.

43. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

D,

Cromartie is covering the outside receiver. He is not covering TEs. He has never come inside to cover TEs.

To All those who want Bucannon;

Lets put it this way. We play the niners and we have PP on Crabtree, and Cromartie on Boldin, HB drops down on the slot and now we have one on one with vernon davis. Do you want Bucannon running down the seem with davis or do you want Reynolds?

I rest my case.

44. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

jasonc

where are you? haven’t seen any comments from you for a while

45. By br on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken,
    Finally someone else that awea tje huge upside in Logan Thomas! I’ve been preaching and lobbying Thomas for months (and even in 5th round) and best of all as I have used before in my posts this guy is an “athfreak” if BA and the staff cant coach him up to be QB of the future he can convert to TE or slot/ redzone multi-purpose weapon! Again i think whoever gets this guy is getting steal of the draft especially in the 5th rd or later!!!

46. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Dr G,

Let’s put it this way, Marshall Faulk was a great Runner but he had 767catches for close to 7,000 yards.
    He was 5’10” and 211 ( Close to Ellington) and was known as a great receiver who was elusive.

Why did the rams want Marshall out in patterns? The same reason Ellington should catch passes. These guys in the open field are nightmares.

Why give Ellington 20 carries, where he must get hit by 300 pound DL and 240 pound LBs, when you can get him out on a safety one on one and watch him make some moves while taking much less of a pounding.

Faulk averaged 16 carries a game. He caught 4.5 catches a game. 20 touches.

Sounds like the exact same thing Arians wants to do with Ellington. If it goes 12 carries and 8 catches, so be it.

47. By Big Ken on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

BR-You used to hear a lot about him a couple of years ago. And then he seemed to fall apart, capped off the year with a horrible Senior Bowl appearance. I even blogged he was Jamarcus Russell’s little brother. He had an amazing combine. A great prospect with big time upside. Worth a flier.

48. By Dr. G. on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

JTDG – Your quote – ” If it goes 12 carries and 8 catches, so be it.” ((20))

I totally agree with you on that statement. But that is not what is reported here. Arians is saying here – “you’d rather have him have 10 catches and 20 carries.” ((30)) He just loves his new ((toy – weapon))… So do we…

I enjoy the banter and the mock proposals in this blog, but I made myself a promise that I would not go too deep with it until we get farther toward the draft. Here’s the deal, I can tell you are detailed in your efforts, but, the Cards averaged 62 plays on offense in 2013… If we divulge that a full half of everything we do is about Ellington, defending the Cards will be easier to plan. I would like to see Arians remain somewhat mute on the real game plan, because we have 2 of the best WR’s in the NFL among other weapons. I want opponents to fear us when we show up, knowing that we can burn them in a variety of ways. And I want to avoid injury and burn-out for Ells….

I still say that Ellington should be a threat and a receiving decoy, but one thing Arians said is that the WR’s are a better regular weapon for catches, though you know I personally would really like to see a TE get some significant attention. It bugs me that we have to worry about defending TE’s and we will not produce the same problem for opponents. Be well…. ((I read where jasonc is really busy))

49. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

JTDG…Bridgewater and/or Carr available at #20? Really??? I don’t follow college football so I only know their names and I listen to what is said about them by the so-called experts. From what I understand it would be surprising if either is still there at #20. And even more surprising if we took one of them should he still be on the board when we pick. We can’t afford to miss with our pick…as we did with Leinart and, to a lesser extent, Levi Brown and Beanie Wells a few years ago. I will be tracking Bridgewater and Carr with particular interest on draft day.

50. By ored on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

totally agree with getting ellington out in space,it’s like a jump start for a running back,now he goes into evasive mode with momentum already built up and not having to take heavy hits while trying to find running room.

would also consider the baylor safety,dixon i think,for depth.

51. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

johnnybluenose;

I’m not sure if you got this, but what I was saying is if one or both of the QBs are at 20, trade down with someone who wants a QB and get extra picks.

I have never said we should take a QB in this draft except Blake Bortles (who will be the number one pick)

As for them dropping, Carr should be a late first, early second pick. I think there is a very good chance he is there at pick 20. As for Bridgewater, I never was high on him after this year, but after his horrible pro day, he could drop to 20 also. Especially if someone decided to gamble on Carr early.

52. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

JTDG…yes, I understood that you were not interested in drafting either of them at #20. I was just expressing that both will be off the board before we get to decide what to do at #20. But, if you are correct and we can trade that pick for an additional pick, that would be great.

2. Mar 27, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Improvement important for 1,000-yard Floyd
  3. Mar 28, 2014: Arians: Andre Ellington might see 10 catches per game at nfl.hoops227.co
  4. Mar 28, 2014: Arians: Andre Ellington might get 10 catches per game | time2sports.com
  5. Mar 28, 2014: Arians: Andre Ellington might see 10 catches a game | time2sports.com
  6. Mar 29, 2014: Arians: Andre Ellington might see 10 catches per game | time2sports.com
  7. May 27, 2014: Promise of Touches Amps Andre Ellington's 2014 Hype to Unrealistic Level — PureFootballPureFootball — Your source for everything about football! — News and tweets about everything football — Football scores, news, NFL
  8. Jun 12, 2014: Breakout Candidates For Every NFL Team in 2014 | GridironGrit.com