Improvement important for 1,000-yard Floyd

Posted by Darren Urban on March 27, 2014 – 4:13 pm

The Cardinals grabbed a headline when they signed a speed receiver in Ted Ginn. And Larry Fitzgerald remains at the top the receiving food chain in Arizona, especially after he restructured his contract. But the team leader in yards and yards per catch last season was former first round pick Michael Floyd, who broke out in his second season to surpass 1,000 yards and remains — because of the lengthy shadow of Fitzgerald — somewhat under the radar.

That can change, coach Bruce Arians thinks, because Floyd is still developing.

“He became a 1,000-yard receiver,” Arians said, “but he can improve as much this year as he did last year.”

If Floyd legitimately makes as big a leap in his third season as he did in his second, the Cardinals would be looking at a superstar. The Cards could use that on multiple levels, one of which being what could happen with Fitzgerald’s future given his unwieldy 2015 salary cap number. Because of the way the Cards run the offense and the way they want to use Fitzgerald now that he has moved inside because of his age, Floyd will get the shots down the field (although some figure to go to Ginn). At some point, defenses may start to see him as a double-team candidate, but can they risk leaving Fitz one-on-one? Or Ginn deep? Or Ellington split out wide? These are the problems the Cards are trying to create.

Floyd can get better. Arians wants to see more consistency, although Floyd had a stretch last season where he looked pretty darn consistent, grabbing first down catch after first down catch. He is so physical in his battles with defenders.

“He learned how to play hurt, play through injuries, but he lost some big plays,” Arians said. “We have tape for him to watch when he gets back. A real good one and a real bad one. He needs to eliminate the real bad one.”

That should be a natural progression anyway.

FloydBlogImprovementUSE

Tags: , , ,

36 Responses to “Improvement important for 1,000-yard Floyd”

1. By LG on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

This is our year the only things that worries me is Kevin minter stepping up in Dansby spot and injuries.

2. By joe holst on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Floyd is there main cog now, Next year will be interesting to see what happens to Fitgeraldz and his 23$ million salary. Steve Keim can get a lot of talented players for 23 million.

3. By georgiebird on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

A home run WR in the draft will make Floyd better in a Minnesota minute.

One positive takeaway from the Cards possibly hosting the next SB- this year the Giants and Jets set the bar quite low.

4. By CardinalMark on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Do not forget using Patrick Peterson as a receiver as well. Since Ted Ginn will be returning punts and kickoffs! Peterson could really stretch a defense! Looking for a draft pick as well at receiver!

5. By William Barry on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

I think Minter will be just fine…..I think he will be a sleeper this year, and Ted Ginn will surprise!!!! Darren, Does BA plan to use Ginn as a punt/kickoff return man?????, or solely as a WR?

The upside for floyd is beyond anyone has ever imagined!!!!!! He will have another great year!!!!!

6. By jakeplummersghost on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Do you think Cards won’t draft Bruce Ellington or another speed WR because of the Ginn signing? Or is there still a realistic shot at them taking on a youngster who can learn from the three good WRs ahead of him and eventually replacing Ginn?

7. By clssylssy on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

1000 yards sounds impressive but he still drops a lot of balls and is inconsistent. I expect him to be much better this year and look forward to the Cards having one of the strongest WR corps in the NFL. Nonetheless, couldn’t help but notice that Floyd ranked somewhere around 48-49 on the NFL’s top 100 WR, with Andre Roberts ranked higher at 43 and Fitz holding down the #2 spots with the “best hands in the league” and Calvin Johnson barely taking the top spot based on his speed. Hopefully our new olympic speed coach will be able to help all of our receivers with their speed and Fitz who is considered the best technician will hit #1…still, after ten years in the league and at age 31, not too shabby! It would be great if Fitz and Floyd could become the best tandem as we had in the Boldin years! Can’t wait for the season to start, it’s gonna be a great year!

8. By Kevin Minter on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

I’m good in run downs, not very good in coverege, with the 20th pick we should draft CJ Mosley LB Alabama, he is a 3 down LB, in tape he look like D Wash, Im hoping he is there when we pick at 20.

9. By Coach K on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

We need to target a young receiver to groom behind Larry. We also need another inside backer to back up Minter. These should be addressed in the draft.

10. By AzDesertRat1953 on Mar 27, 2014 | Reply

Injury we can do nothing about most times but a player not pulling his load will be gone. Steve Keim proved that last year buy kicking Levi Brown to another team and then getting a better LT that at least did Better much Better.

This is Not the, “good old Cardinals here we go again”, team that just did almost good enough.
    These guys are serious about winning the NFC West!

GO CARDS!!!

11. By Eazy E on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Cardinals fooling themselves if they think Fitz can’t consistently get it done on the outside because of age! He’s all of 30 years old and only 31 when the season starts. I don’t mind him being in the slot to move him around but primarily he should be outside beating cbs and dbs’ butts!

12. By LadyBird04 on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Floyd and the rest of the Cardinal receivers were handicapped by horrible QB/OL play during the 2012 season. During the 2013 season we started slowly because of everyone learning the new Arians system but they steadily improved and next year we have (at least on paper) vastly improved our OL.

We can only hope this improved OL and familiarity with the “system” will have our QB/WR’s giving fits to opposing defenses across the league.

Go Cards!

13. By 'Zona Fan on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Floyd will be a beast someday, no doubt. He’s got tons of potential and has already made plenty of amazing grabs. Floyd, Fitz, and Ginn should be quite the combination this season!

14. By WestCoastWilly on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

And you did not even mention the Ballard/Carlson/Housler combo at TE! I do not see how teams will be able to account for all this fire power! If they double one player then all the LBs will be falling back into pass protection which will then open delays and screens and lets be real, what LB could cover Ellington! With this Off line Carson’s backside will be completely protected and don’t be foolish and underestimate the right side with Massie (0 sacks final 8 games 2 seasons ago) & Watford … this Offense is going to be scary!
    With Card’s Defense getting 3 & outs and Offense exhausting the opp Ds … It is going to get ugly in here!

15. By Dynosoar on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

We fixed the defense over the last few years and began fixing the offense last year. once they’re where they should be, it comes down to maintenance. I see very few true holes in either side of the ball and that’s a real change.

The vision of the dynasty came first in the Warner years, now comes the realization. There is cautious optimism out there, can Arians and Keim keep this up and for how long? From what I’ve seen since they both were hired to there present positions, Yes. Yes they can.

in the last post JTDG brought up the fun of different match ups and who does an opponent leave uncovered, Darren gave this a more detailed treatment above. This is going to be a real enjoyable season.

16. By Andy Kw on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

WR DeSean Jackson was just released by the Philadelphia Eagles.

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

William —

RE: Ginn

He’ll return kickoffs I’m sure. As for punts, we’ll see.

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

jakeplummer —

RE: WR

I don’t see them taking one early, but I wouldn’t rule out one at some point.

19. By Coach K on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

MY FINAL MOCK DRAFT PERIOD

After watching all the great free agent moves by Steve Keim, and after listening to all the interviews, smoke screens, and viewing the list of all prospects interviewed at the shrine, senior bowls and the combine by teams, here is my final (stone cold) mock draft based on all of the above reasons.

Round 1- Kony Ealy or Dee Ford? Flip a coin.
    I have been in a quandry on this pick for weeks. I’m sure they will not
    take an offensive lineman or defensive back with the first pick. I’m also
    convinced they will not take Hageman here with so many good defensive
    linemen in this draft. I’m convinced a speed rusher will be the pick. Either
    Ealy or Ford.

Round 2- Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
    I’m not buying the smoke screen coming from B.A. If this guy is on the
    board at pick #52, he’s going to be a Cardinal. You can take that to the
    bank. He simply fits what B.A. does. And Keim has made it clear if a QB we love is available, we would consider taking him. Nuff said.

Round 3- Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
    I know they have interviewed projected lower round receivers like Grant, Herron and Reedy, but I’m convinced if Moncrief is on the board with this pick, he
    is going to be drafted. He is simply too big and too athletic to pass up
    at this point of the draft and we must find a receiver to groom behind
    Fitz. Moncrief is a little more pro ready than Bryant or Latimer overall.

Round 4- Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor
    I know everyone talks about Dix, Pryor, Bucannon and Loston, but the
    guy that was on the report I read was Dixon. So I’m thinking this is the safety the Cards will take in round four.

Round 5- Cassius Marsh, DE, UCLA
    Long and lean defensive end. A bit of a tweener, but apparently he caught the eye of someone to get an interview. From what I see of him on film, he is a very aggressive guy who has a great motor.

Round 6- Max Bullough, ILB, Mich. St.
    Big and strong inside backer who is a throwback to the Dick Butkus era. Was the leader of that strong Spartan defense and made all the defensive calls. The Cardinals will need depth at inside backer, and I think this guy will bring a little old school nasty to the birds of prey.

Rookie Free Agents- Because this draft is so deep with talent, I see many really good players available for the Cardinals to invite. And I think a few gems will be discovered.

20. By Dynosoar on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Coach K,

“MY FINAL MOCK DRAFT PERIOD”

That would be a shame and not fun at all! I enjoy the thoughtfulness you put in, may not always buy it, but appreciate the effort and time.

Everyone,

This may be a dumb question, but I don’t get the wear out defense with offense idea. Whenever I played I put a much energy and effort into offense as into defense (Yeah, it was a long time ago, tow bodies ago to be exact and I played both sides of the ball. i was a PP wannabe before he was born.)

So my dumb question, why does everyone want to say the longer an offense is on the field the more wore out a defense gets? I agree, but I also feel the longer an offense is on the field the more worn out the offense gets. Of course, there’s the idea of momentum and the longer an offense is on the field the better they feel, unless their grinding it out, then it’s a struggle and wearying on an offense thinking, “we’re moving, but can’t get more than a few yards.”

I think if an offense gets out there and in a 10 plays or less scores, then the defense goes out and in 10 plays or less stops the opponent, both sides are rested and the opposing offense and defense will feel “Man! It doesn’t matter what we do we can’t do anything.” Then we win.

So again, my possibly dumb question, what am I not seeing? Why does a prolonged offensive drive wear out the defense and not the offense? It never did for me.

21. By Dynosoar on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW,

now that’s an interesting development. 4 wideouts? Man that would be a scary fun receiver corps.

22. By T. Stone on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Arians reminds me of Buddy Ryan with better coaching ability and people skills. I remember Buddy saying nobody on this team that is hurt matters. Of course he wouldn’t let them stand on the sidelines, and our hurt QB Steve Beuerlein was sitting in the stands drinking a beer on game day. BA has created the environment of family and team, but you better get off the bike and on the field or your gonna be kicked out of the house faster than a pot smoking teenager with no job. Thanks for the non memories Ryan Williams. Way to go Coach.

23. By shooter28 on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

clssylssy-

I have no idea where you get your stats from , but their are totally wrong. I go off of Pro Football Focus’s stats which are the most respected around the NFL. Michael Floyd ranked as the 19th best WR in the NFL out of 111, and Fitzgerald ranked top 10. As far as Roberts , he ranked 83rd out of 111. Arizona’s new #3 Speedster WR Ted Ginn ranked 50th ( which is solid #2 WR territory) with an excellent positive overall grade, with 36 receptions for 556 yards , a 15.4 YD/AVG per catch, 5TDs,203 of those yards were YAC w/ a 5.6YAC AVG per catch, with only 3 dropped pass’s . He also ranks in the top 5 as KR/PR return man. No doubt an upgrade. I don’t know where you get M. Floyd has a lot of dropped pass’s and is “inconsistent” that is the funniest load of crap ive heard in a long time. Floyd had 65 receptions for 1,041 yards, 16 YDs/per catch AVG, 276 YAC, 4.2 YAC/REC, A long of 91, 5TDs , forced 10 mistackles , and was only charged with 4 drops. That’s not always dropping the ball or inconsistent . That’s very high level ball in just his 2nd year , and receivers are known to really breakout in their 3rd season , so I have no doubt he will have a monster year next season. Last season Floyd lead the NFL through week 17 in catchs going for 1st downs , with 28 straight receptions going for 1st downs of 10+ yards or more. That’s not inconsistent With all the weapons Palmer has , with no growing pains to worry about with everyone having the offense down with a much better O-line in front of Palmer , Arizona’s offense should be really good next season .

24. By LG on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

I hope that was not the real kelvin minter who left that comment up their if it is I’m real worried now.

25. By br on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Coach
    2 things I have to disagree with on here (really 3 but we have covered one of them already and pretty much beat it in the dirt…the defensive heavy picks when I believe our offense needs the most work, we just agree to disagree on that.)
    1st issue – Last mock draft for you, say it aint so, I/we really enjoy your input amd knowledge on these drafts not to mention how much I appreciate the time spent to research your picks(that I know first hand when I started posting my draft sleepers & Small school gems along with possible UDFA we should look to sign) I was posting one a day a wantes to continue that but found out real quick just not enough time in everyday! Though Iam going to put together one tonight, hopefully. But you should at least wait till all the pro-days are done then put out a mock draft as well you know you have to put out at least one more in the waning days before the draft to adjust for all theprospects who shoot up the boards as well for the free falls that will inevitably happen!! You just cant “retire” now buddy!
    Issue 2 – This is another reason you have to continue with your moxk drafts or at least updates…I obviously have NOT convinced you that if Martin/ND is still on the board then Cards need to grab him, right side of OL still needs work, he is too good and versatile to pass up at #20 . Secondly you got the wrong QB and the wrong rd (Thomas/Va Tech – 5th rd) :)
    I just cant see Cards taking any QB that high and I think Metz is way overrated and coming off injury, in my opinion his OL amd WR made him look better than he is plus RB’s and running game in general at LSU opened the passing lanes to generous proportions, something that our ground game is not quite able to do to the extent that he needs…just my opinion though.
    But the rest of the picks, even though I think more offensive picks need to be made, other than that solid defensive draft! DO NOT HANG UP YOUR MOCK DRAFT CLIPBOARD PLEASE COACH!!!

26. By LG on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

clearly we’re going ss in the first round just ask Darren I bet he agree.

27. By Coach K on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

No more mocking for this bird. Ever heard of paralysis by analysis. I need a break from the videos and player stats. Of course I will put in my 2 cents on players, but no more mocks. I think all of us can agree that this team is only 2 or 3 good draft picks away from a World Championship team. I’ll enjoy the next few weeks and some of the bird gang mocks before the draft. Should be fun.

28. By Andy Kw on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Coack K,
    I can see you were joking with this final mock draft of yours, right???
    Redo of your Mock Draft:
    1.)ILB C.J. Mosley (Alabama) over DE Kony Ealy(Missouri)/Dee Ford(Auburn)
    -This guy can play as an inside linebacker or transition to an outside linebacker. He is gifted with the awareness he has on the field. He is a sure tackler, defends well against the pass, and has similar qualities to D.Wash. In case Minter doesn’t play to his potential, Mosley is a sure starter on the inside and can play well on the outside. Ealy and Ford are two overrated players. They are good but I highly doubt this team will draft them. Draft the best player available and Mosley fits the bill.

2.)SS Deone Bucannon (Washington St.) over QB Z. Mettenberger (LSU)
    -There is no way the Arizona Cardinals will draft QB Zach Mettenberger in the 2nd Round. This guy will drop to the 5th Round or even further. But to be honest, Logan Thomas should be drafted instead but not this early in the draft. SS Deone Bucannon is underrated and he has the size and athleticism to compete for a starting job in the NFL (6’1” 211lbs). We need a SS more than a QB.

3.)DT Daniel McCullers (Tennessee) over WR Donte Moncrief (Mississippi)
    -After signing WR Ted Ginn Jr to a 3yr contract, I highly doubt that they will draft a WR this early in the draft. Donte Moncrief has upside but this team has no urgent need at Wide Receiver. As much as I want Stanley Jean Baptiste to be a Cardinal, Daniel McCullers has too much raw potential. We have a DL coach and a Pro Bowl DT Darnell Dockett to mentor this guy. McCuller’s 6’7” 352lbs is the perfect size to plug in the interior and can bat down passes.

4.)QB Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech.) over SS Ahmad Dixon (Baylor)
    -I believe the Strong Safety position will be addressed early in the draft. This team wants a QB late in the draft and I believe L. Thomas has everything Arians is looking for. He has the size, powerful arm, athleticism, and “grit” that fits perfectly for this system. The Browns might go after Logan Thomas since they apparently might draft two QBs.

5.) WR T.J. Jones (Notre Dame) over DE Cassius Marsh (UCLA)
    -We need a dependable and fast receiver. Jones brings that to the table and the OLB and DT positions will be addressed early in the draft.

6.) Whoever you want. There are so many players that I could care less about the 6th Round.

29. By clssylssy on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

@Shooter28
    My stats…LOL? I don’t pin my perceptions/observations etc., on numbers compiled and listed on a paper but rather I watch lots and lots of football…high school, college,professional, and have for many years. I am from a football family, friends are football people, have had NFL players for clients and so talk with a lot of people who are very close to the game, frequently and have the benefit of their insights, opinions, experiences.I follow the game and many players, have a number of teams who are my “back up favorites”aside from the Cardinals. I read many sports publications, follow many blogs, etc. It always amuses me when I see someone react vehemently about a player as you did and spew “stats”, which in the case of a dependent position such as WR, are based on a number of factors and aren’t a complete picture of a given talent (IMO). Everybody has their heroes and is entitled to be excited when they excel; anybody who has been around me very long, know mine! My opinion is that as many times as Michael Floyd is targeted he still has a tendency to drop more balls than some others, however, I give him credit as being an exciting new talent with great potential for the Cards. He is still pretty fresh to the roster. The particular article I was referring to was in the Bleacher Reports, which many regard as a rag, but nonetheless has some interesting views as does PFT, etc., who I don’t hold any higher regard when it comes to credaibiity. In the article about Receivers, I found it especially interesting as we had just traded Roberts, but a credit to the Cards nonetheless for having at least three in the top 50, among some impressive company. Now that we have Ginn and a new speed coach this season is looking to be something to get excited about! .http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1966715-br-nfl-1000-top-101-wide-receivers

30. By Coach K on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Andy, my mock was partially based on players the Cardinals had private interviews with. Keim made it very clear that he wants high character guys in the locker room. So there may be lots of other options, but I combined need with players who the Cardinals reached out to for private interviews.

31. By ored on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

agree our recieving corp and defense stand out as strengths,and now with some speed added and “pouring gas on the defense”,it should be an exciting season,but still looking forward to 2nd guessing the draft.maybe the “pinch me”,i must be dreaming scenario is if the o-line comes together.good time to be a cardinal fan.

32. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Clssylssy
    WOW! Your kidding right? You go off on a tangent about someone quoting stats or using stats to justify a response (which stats dont lie my friend ) then we get your lifelong resume of generations of football gurus and high powered nfl clients and of course your decades of in depth perceiving and observing…for what, so you can belittle someone because he uses a different (and much more accurate) method to present his point. Bottom line..if you live in a glass house, you shouldnt throw stones!! I just domt know how to break this to you….but, you cant trade a free agent!! Oh, and by the way…oh nevermind!

33. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Only problem is a large amount of that $23mil will count against salary cap!

34. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Coach K —

Where do you get the info on the interviews, that would be nice info to have. Just as you stated they will not draft someone without completely studying and doimg there homework, and I would submit the interview portion is much more important than alot of the drills/tests they do at combine!

35. By Big Ken on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

I think they interview player that they are not interested in or may have a luke warm interest. You know the old smoke screen move.

36. By red bird of death! on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

So damn happy about what this team is becoming, I just hope honey badger comes back strong and Minter finds his inner beast can’t wait for the draft this is the most exiting offseason since 08!