Pro Football Talk goes one-on-one with GM Steve Keim

Posted by since1898 on March 28, 2014 – 12:14 pm

BACK TO #since1898

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Since1898 | 27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Pro Football Talk goes one-on-one with GM Steve Keim”

1. By shooter28 on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

I am glad we as Arizona Cardinals fans have a great GM in Steve Keim. He is a far better GM than Graves was and you can tell by listening to Keim he is a young , hungry GM who wants to put together a consistent winning contending year in year out winning team. He not only knows football but he knows players and knows how to evaluate talent. I mean look at Mathieu n Ellington , those guys have 1st round talent. Keim brought in BA. With Steve Keim at the helm I have no doubt this team is going to be a winner for a long time .

2. By John Smith on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

I hope we get Desean Jackson. I think the locker room atmosphere here in Az would be good for him.

3. By Chive On From AZ on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Nope. He a diva. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

4. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

One quote stood out.

“Limit the risks in the draft.”

You build through the draft. Dont take chances on a player, your picks have to hit.
    It is a good philosophy.

I will be very surprised that between pick 20, 52 and 84, these are not the players that will be taken by the cardinals. Some combo of these guys.

-Calvin Pryor
    -Kony Ealy – OLB
    -Anthony Barr – OLB
    -Taylor Lewan (in case he fell) – OT
    -Stephan Tuitt – DE
    -Kelcy Quarles – DE
    -Ed Reynolds – S
    -Jimmy Ward – S
    -Demarcus Lawrence – OLB
    -Marcus Smith – OLB
    -Terrence Brooks – S
    -Jeremiah Attaochu – OLB

Sleeper alert on day three
    -Brent Urban , DE, Virginia

5. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

NFL Draft rumor

Cards are interested in Adrian Hubbard – OLB as a third day pick.

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Sleeper

I approve of your sleeper pick.

7. By carlo milano on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Did u see some prospects visiting the facilities?fiorio said they can invite at least 30 players

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Visits

I haven’t seen anyone, but I am sure they will be coming through.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Relative ??

10. By Coach K on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

JTDG

I’ll second the Urban sleeper pick.

11. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Desean Jackson;

More than a Diva. Word is he likes hanging with known gang members in So Cal who may be involved with a double murder. I don’t know if he had any involvement or knowledge, but the fact that he has missed practice in the past to hang with these gang members – Well, not real good.

It will be interesting if Billichek takes another guy like this after the Hernandez situation.

12. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Sleeper

Why, I’m just a Virginia fan. What else would it be?

13. By CaliCard on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Keim is the man! #ManWithAPlan Keeping us in the right direction – pointed straight at that trophy!! #SuperBowl2015 here we come!!!

14. By Coach K on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren, when are you going to host the first official Bird Gang Bar-B-Que and War Room get together in the Valley? Would be fun to get together with all of the gang who comment in your blog. Any thoughts?

15. By Dr. G. on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Just a reminder! When the 2012 coaching staff was terminated, the FA and draftmeisters were all talking about rebuilding for a good team in a couple years.

Then Keim and BA came in with the philosophy of ” There is no such thing as a rebuilding year, we want to WIN NOW!!

The recent events are worthy of celebratory congratulations to the staff and players for BELIEVING you can get it done. KUDOS GENTLEMEN…..

16. By Dr. G. on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

I just noticed that “Kay” Feely will be happy to know he is re-signed!

17. By br on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Shooter28
    I second your thoughts on Keim as well as BA though I think quite a few GM’s would have brought BA in as there coach given the chance (afer his “interim head coach” performance in Indy) but with GM greatness and smarts comes vultures who will be throwing large amounts of money to lure SK away, i think the Jets will be at the top of the list next yr if they have another ho-hum yr Idzik will be out as will Rex, and it would not shock me if the flew in a private lear jet that was big enough to fly out of phx sky harbor with not only our GM but Bruce and his whole dang staff. We need to sign both to long term extensions with hefty raises ( especially if we improve on last yrs performance! And if we do happen to play (and win of course) in Super Bowl at home…look out, every team in NFL will be wining & dining them in an attempt to steal them away!!
    Of course home field in SB probably wont be in the “Cards” (pun intended) if we dont draft Z. Martin/ND/OL and that all starts with us here at Cards Nation posting are Mock drafts with Martin as the pick at #20. ***Right Coach K*** lol ;)

18. By br on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Are you a fan of Virginia as a whole, or UVA? Cuz if your also a VA Tech fan sure could use your help approving sleepers, oh….say, Logan Thomas/QB – maybe you could drop hints around the facility!! lol (no I’m not Va Tech fan, yes huge Logan Thomas fan!) Starting to convince a few of the posters here that Cards would be getting a steal, but need your clout with tje bigwigs!!! :)

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: Get together

It’s something I could look into.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

br —

RE: Virginia

I was just being facetious. Saw a guy named Urban.

21. By Coach K on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

That would be great Darren. Could grow into something special. Speaking of special, I was watching film today of Steven Tuitt and I have to say, I like him better than Clowney. He is simply unstoppable. I think Tuitt talent level is far superior to Hageman and Ealy. I would not be surprised to see Tuitt as the Cardinals first round selection. Wow!

22. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren —

Ahh, Nice!
    I didn’t catch that one.

23. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Darren…there’s a rumour circulating that your middle name is Rural. I’m not sure who started that one. And for those of you who are sometimes shocked by some of Darren’s comments you should know that you are not alone nor are you the first. In fact, many years ago, there was a very good baseball pitcher named URBAN SHOCKER. Some of you older fans may have heard of him. He was Darren’s mentor, I’m sure. And who did he play for? Well, the Cardinals, of course.

24. By br on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Coach K —

The BBQ sounds like a good thing (havnt had real BBQ in yrs, they have NC BBQ round here…clear vinagar sauce is what they call BBQ. Im from St Louis so i aint eating a sauce that a red and thick and sloppy!!)

Your idea for a BBQ got me thinking since only locals would be attending) so we could get to know everyone better, how about everyone post where they are currently pulling for the Cardinals from, would be interesting to see where some of the diehard fans are currently from, assuming most on here are from Arizona, and more likely from the Phoenix area. Might be surprised if our fan base was spread all over this great country!!

Obviously, as stated above I’m posting from the east coast, almost as far east as you can go in NORTH CAROLINA. Anybody else want to jump in?

25. By Coach K on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

I would be curious to know how many bird gang members are from Arizona. Maybe we could take a poll. If Darren can set it up, I’ll bring the chips. LOL

26. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

br,

I’m here in Peoria, AZ.

Grew up in San Diego as a Baseball player, Went off to play at Southwest Texas State, and left there and played in some Semi pro leagues in AZ.
    Moved back to Texas and coached both Football and baseball (became an Aggie fan, since my wife went there) but eventually in 2001, moved back to AZ.
    I’m now the Head Coach of Varsity Softball in Peoria now (My daughter’s team).

Been a season ticket holder since 1991. I flew back for home games while I lived in Texas each week.

My biggest moment and disappointment was when Leeland McElroy , who was a RB at the HS I coached at (I coached defense), went off to play at Texas A&M, then drafted by the cards. (Trifecta) He just couldn’t make it as a card. I talked to him at spring training and he talked about his days in HS (he was amazing). He didn’t have much to say about his pro days. Jamaal Charles was a 7th grader the year I left. I coached his brother or cousin at LB. He always told me, wait till Jamaal gets here. But the best players I ever coached , never made it out of HS.
    My star DE, stabbed and killed a guy, My star safety was lost to drugs, and the best RB to come out of our school (including Charles), never made it to 11th grade. He was so much like Marcus Allen.

This is why you will hear me refer to coaching in Texas, My Aggies, my soft spot for athletes who mess up, and as the world series approaches, my softball references.

27. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

@br…. I live in Nova Scotia so I would need a little notice to be able to attend and even then it would be iffy. I used to play for the Cardinals. Yes, really, it’s true. In 1961 I was 12 years old and I was the quarterback for the Saint Eustache Cardinals in Quebec. We played 8 aside and we went undefeated. So I have been a Cardinals fan for a long time. I played all sports growing up except basketball and a few of my friends played hockey in the NHL and some of them played in the Canadian Football League. One guy I played against in university actually played for the LA Rams in the SuperBowl….no small feat for a Canadian way back then. I also hope for the Phoenix Coyotes and it is too bad they get so little support. I do try to get to a couple of Cardinals games each year when they are at home on back to back Sundays so I am anxiously waiting for the schedule to come out so I can see if there are a couple of games late in the schedule for me. Whoever they play the games should be meaningful. Can hardly wait.