“Throw gas” on a potentially dominant defense

Posted by Darren Urban on March 28, 2014 – 12:09 pm

The Cardinals’ initial foray into free agency was offense-heavy. Not a big shock, since that side of the ball need the most work. As the draft approaches, however, the focus may just shift. Because even though Bruce Arians is an offensive guy, GM Steve Keim has a belief that the good teams in this salary cap work have a dominant side of the ball. And the Cardinals — with the No. 1 rush defense and the sixth-ranked defense overall — aren’t in that realm on the offensive side of the ball.

“Seattle was a dominant defense with a solid offense,” Keim said. “Denver was a dominant offense with an OK defense. In our situation, we are closer to having a dominant defense. So I think you have to continue to throw gas on the fire. Continue to build the strength.”

That’s why cornerback Antonio Cromartie shot to the top of the to-do list after he was cut by the Jets. The move surprised the Cards — they did not think New York would let him go — but rallied to understand the situation and aggressively court him. It was only a one-year contract, but the team proved last year with linebacker Karlos Dansby that could be a golden type of situation. There are still spots defensively that need shoring up (like the need for a safety or inside linebacker depth), and there is also Keim’s quest to get longer and more athletic with his 3-4 defensive ends and the pass rushers outside. The draft could very well provide those things. But when you start looking at the top end talent on the roster, it is the defense that claims many of the spots, whether it is Patrick Peterson, Calais Campbell or Daryl Washington. (Or even, as Ron Wolfley points out, defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, who fortunately for the Cards did not get a head coaching job.)

The offense isn’t going to be ignored — “We know we have areas we need to fix and it certainly needs to catch up with the defense,” Keim said — but a defensive juggernaut is the first goal. It’s what has put the Seahawks and 49ers into the stratosphere they are in, and why the Cards returned to relevance last season.

DefenseGasBLOG

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

75 Responses to ““Throw gas” on a potentially dominant defense”

1. By SteveG on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Burn baby, BURN!!

2. By hummer53 on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Would have no problem with Trent Murphy in a Cards jersey. May be a little reach at 20 but don’t think he’d be there at 52.

3. By Coach K on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

“________” wins Championships!

4. By ChristianR on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Hey everybody. I wanted to throw my mock draft out there and see what you guys thought. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Round 1- Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame. A lot of people are overlooking this guy. I’ve heard him referred to as a top 25 talent, but a lot of people overlook him due to his lack of skills as a pass rusher. Great run stuffer to use in rotation with Campbell and Dockett, possible replacement for Dockett in the future.

Round 2- Demarcus Lawrence, DE Boise St. Some people have him going in the early third round, but Lawrence is definitely worth taking at 52. He is one of the top pass rushers in the draft, but isn’t big enough to play DE and has no experience playing in reverse. Can be utilized as a pass rusher behind Abraham while he develops coverage skills.

Round 3- Craig Loston, SS LSU. I have him as the third overall safety on my list, behind Clinton-Dix and Pryor, but plenty of people have him behind Bucannon, Dixon, and sometimes even Brooks. Aside from the two I have ranked ahead of him, Loston has the best coverage skills of the safeties. His height leaves a bit to be desired, but has the most sound technique and natural ability of the strong safeties in the draft.

Round 4- Max Bullough, ILB Michigan St. People doubt him due to his lack of athleticism, but he makes up for it with his football IQ and sound technique. A throwback kind of player, like Brandon Spikes. Good for depth and a nice potential fill in for Daryl Washington if he is suspended.

Round 5- Bruce Ellington, WR South Carolina. Just in case Ginn has problems with his hands again. Bruce has been vocal about the opportunity to play with his cousin Andre. He also is the superior athlete of the two, and we’ve all heard about Arians’ plans for Andre. Bruce could take some of the pressure off when Andre needs a break and be there in case Ginn suffers an injury or has too much trouble catching the ball deep. I’ve heard a lot of people are more worried about finding a potential replacement for Fitz, but then again…

Round 6- L’Damian Washington, WR Missouri. No, this guy is not cut from the same cloth as Fitz. Fitz is a slower, go-up-and-get-it guy that relies on crisp routes and great leaping ability to beat defenders. Washington is a slender speed merchant who is at his best running down the sidelines (kind of like Randy Moss). Not a guy who is going to contribute from day 1, but has the potential to develop into a 2 when Fitz is gone, Floyd takes over as 1, and either Ginn or Ellington prove themselves as a 3. Tom Savage or Jeff Mathews would also be good here, but I have also heard that Arians plans on having Palmer for another two or three seasons. Plus, there are plenty of QB projects that will be undrafted free agents. Not so much with giant speed receivers.

5. By brian r on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

im happy the cardinals are continuing to build their defense. it is quite evident that strong defenses superbowls. when the cardinals had their shot to win the big game, people admit that our defense let up cause it played more conservative vs aggressive and we lacked talent. I think bruce arians and steve keim are great at their jobs. they have the cardinals interest at heart. as long as we have these two, our losing days are behind us.

6. By pleasantfishing on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

re:ChristianR

I don’t see Tuitt a rd1 talent. Definitely a 2. I would say in one you go with pryor or shazier. Trade back in rd 2 to pick up more picks. We may still likely be able to get Tuitt in the 2nd or Hageman and go from there. I like the Ellington pick. Not sure about the rest.

7. By beardinals on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Everybody’s a GM these days.

8. By Eric Randall on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Round 1. CJ Mosely (ILB), Rashede Hageman (DE) or Calvin Pryor(S)

Round 2. Jeremiah Attaochu (OLB)

Round 3. Pierre Desir (CB)

Round 4. Jack Mewhort (Tackle)

Round 5. Adrian Hubbard (DE or OLB)

Round 6. Best Available Running Back

This would be throwing gas on the FIRE…………………….

9. By ChristianR on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

@pleasantfishing

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that Pryor would be a better 1st round pick, but I have trouble believing he’ll be available there. If Rams take Clinton-Dix top safety at 13, that leaves the Bears, the Cowboys, and the Ravens needing a safety. It will be a miracle if Pryor makes it past the Ravens. Problem with Shazier is that he doesn’t have the skill set to be a 3-4 OLB. He would be best off as an ILB with the Cardinals, and there’s no reason to take an ILB in Round 1 when we have Washington and Minter.

10. By ored on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

was just reading the rumor mill,ha ha,pryor, and mosely ,all may drop into the 20′s,that leaves us with alot of choices when you toss in a couple of pass rushers,sure hope we’re doing due diligence,even though it’s a deep draft,we still need to hit on the 1st pick,have to figure somebody has a reason why a player drops.dee ford seems to be our popular selection at the moment,the only reservation i have with that is he had back surgery a couple of years ago,if he had a disk problem then,constant blocking will only compress the spine more,he was even held out during the combine for back precautions.

shazier,mosely,or one of the safeties might be best if available.there are so many recievers that it’s going to take awhile to see how they shake out,i would hope for a pass rusher or docket replacement next.even though FA filled us out a lot,just the quality of the draft leaves so many choices.

11. By Darrel on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Christian –

Worst mock draft I’ve seen in years sorry none of theses picks have any value

12. By hummer53 on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

RE Mock draft
    Don’t like Tuitt in Rd1. Like LSU safety Loston a lot. good pick. Savage would be a good pick if available in rounds 4-6

13. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

ChristianR

I think a trade with Cleveland in the first or raiders, Jags ect.
    Pick up an additional third and Then take Tuitt at the end of one or beginning of two, I’m on board.

Love the second rounder. I have seen D Law anywhere from 1st round to 3rd. So I’ll play along and say he is there at round two.

Loston – I prefer other safeties. I like Reynolds. I think Brooks could be really a good pick also.

I think the first 3 picks were Tuitt, D Law, and Reynolds, I’d jump for joy.

The forth round pick, I just am not behind the ILB,
    Minter and Washington are the starters. Minter’s weakness is coverage. If we play a team like NO, we would pull Minter and go with a extra safety. If I am taking an ILB, I would take a guy who could cover backs.
    My ILB choice would be Jordon Tripp.

I think anyone can argue the late rounders as there is something wrong with everyone late. So I wont touch those picks.

14. By erik on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the Cardinals select Bruce Ellington at some point in the draft. They seem to really value chemistry, realizing it can bring out the best in people. I have watched a few highlights and there is no doubt the guy is quick. I like those under the radar guys that played another sport or started late. Can’t wait for May!

15. By cardsalltheway on Mar 28, 2014 | Reply

Cardinals Underground – Offseason Edition Part 2

I got dizzy watching it, too much camera work, very annoying.

16. By Eazy E on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

I like the idea, but have to get a QB like Johnny Manziel!

17. By jetstreamgreen81 on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

re:ChristianR

In first round, need an immediate impact player. I would prefer Pryor,Dix @ safety, Ealy or Dee Ford for pash rush/olb, Shazier because he could play ilb/olb , Mosley @ ilb or if he fell this far Ebron @ te. Love the offseason so far and can’t wait until the draft.

18. By birdnerd on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

I know it’s fun to say pick this player if he’s there at 20 or this guy at 52, but the way the Cards have ‘worked’ free agency they are now able to look at their best available board and pluck them. Every year a guy falls that you have rated a lot higher than other teams. It appears they need a few positions more than others, but to me those first two picks especially should be BPA. At the very least the ‘need’ weighting in the formula was probably reduced somewhat with Veldeer, Ginn and Cromartie. It would be interesting to get an idea of how the Cards work their BPA weighting formula for players (or if it just so tight between 3 or 4 players that it is just a 15 minute judgment call).

19. By Abel Martinez on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

we have to look at outside linebacker or strong safety in round 1 i love dee ford but if calvin pryor is the pick im good with that too

20. By Brett in Co. on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Great! I like the fact that Keim is building the team to their strength, stick to what is working and that offense will gel with BA.

21. By pleasantfishing on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Eric –

Now were talking

22. By Chuck 1 on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

I’m certainly not as knowledgeable as JTDG or some other fans who study the college players; however, I have a hard time believing that any LB can cover a TE as well as a SS, like some posters believe.

23. By Andy Kw on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

I can’t believe SS Chris Clemons signed with the Houston Texans on a bargain deal 2yr $2.7M with $450K guaranteed.

24. By Andy Kw on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Will we have any cap room left after the 2014 NFL Draft to sign left over Free Agents such as Eric Winston & Ryan Clark?

25. By Eric Randall on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Christian r, ur crazy as the day is long if u think cards will roll into season with just Washington and minter on the inside. Minter is untested and from LSU. Lsu is notorious for producing BUST linebackers, Washington will be sentenced next month and is probably going to get another suspension. If cj mosely is on the board at 20… I really would be shocked if cards didn’t take him…

26. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

bardinals –

Thats the idea of mock drafts everyone does it on all team sites gives hardcore fans something to do while waiting for the real thing. Try it sometime, you may like it!! There are alot worse things in this world we could be doing, that’s for sure!

27. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Darrel –

Here we go again…all defensive side of the ball picks (hopefully this is a theme based mock based on the title of the article) if this is a mock draft that you would truly sign off on if you were GM then my only reply to you sir, (stealing a phrase used for thousands of years and made very public/popular in recent yrs by the immortal “The Donald”) “YOUR FIRED”
    I wont even make counter points or try to justify any of your picks! YOUR STILL FIRED! No reason, No justification..YOU’RE FIRED, TERMINATED, LET GO, SERVICES NO LONGER NEEDED, CANNED! LOL!

28. By Eric Randall on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

The inside linebacker tandem last year was the Cards bread and butter. Rolling into the season with Minter and Washington would be too risky. I say no way thats what Keim and Arians roll into the season with. CJ Mosely round 1….

29. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Cap room

Pretty sure I’ve said before that yes, they will be able to sign a vet or two if they want.

30. By Andy kw on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Oops, you’re right. You said we would have more than $7M after June 1st due to the D. College original cap hit. $5M will be used for the NFL Draft, the rest will be for free agents. Hopefully Ryan Clark and Eric Winston

31. By Dana Francis on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Darren, enjoy your posts but must respectfully correct your grammar: “dominate” is a verb, not an adjective; thus, you should have written “dominant side of the ball” in paragraph one. That’s probably annoying, I know, but I can’t help it. And Go Cards.

32. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

Shazier can and maybe a few others but you are correct, thwy are the exception, not the rule.
    JTDG, CHRISTIANR, EASY, COACH K…or anyone for that matter- Most on here are talking like out ILB’s are set, does everyone truly believe that the DWASH situation is over now that he has plead guilty of lesser charge? I dont want to jinx anything or give the Commissioner any ideas but I have a feeling there are going to be alot of stunned Cardinal fans when he is suspended anywhere from 4-8 games, I have this sick feeling in my stomach that it will be 8 games (I hope and pray that i’m dead wrong!!!!) But i believe it will be 8 games and he will appeal and will end up with six. (Again i hope i have never been more wrong in my life

33. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Crap forgot to add my point before posting…Believe we need ILB depth either way was wondering what y’all thought was best way to go about getting it? I would take a route with a veteran ILB (Angerer/Indy maybe) then if we know the outcome of DWASH’s punishment before draft, which i highly doubt, we could plan around it ie…long suspension use high pick, short or no suspension ( hands dfolded in praying position!) go with lower round or even sign a few Undrafted Free Agents and let them fight it out. Either way do believe we need a veteran ILB preferably on SK’s now famous 1yr prove it deals!

34. By ored on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

the 1st pick still depends on who is there,whether it’s defense or offense.what if one of the big three offensive tackles fell,or the two recievers,even marten,the o-lineman from notre dame,he can play all frt.line positions and our line is not yet set and we have relatively inexperienced players all over.for whatever reasons,highly regarded players have dropped before,if watkins or the big texas a&m reciever fell to #20 we have to take a close look,not so sure on qb,depends where keim grades them.

that said,if the draft plays out pretty normal then sure we go with defense 1st,lots of recievers,offensive lineman to choose from later.

35. By Eric Randall on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

@Abel Martinez. OLB needs to be addressed but not necessarily in the first round as you stated. Dont forget the CARDS are getting back S. Acho and Lorenzo Alexander from injury and of course they still have John Abraham. I agree the position needs to be addressed but picking at #20 the OLBs that will likely be on the board, all present a risk. The first round pick needs to be a sure fire day one starter and difference maker. ie: CJ MOSELY (ILB) —–being compared to Navorro Bowman. Washington and Mosely in the middle instantly makes the CARDS just as scary as Bowman and Willis in the middle…….

36. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Eric,

BRAVO! Couldnt of said it better myself! I have been reminding posters that we are super thin at ILB even if DWASH gets off scott free ( which I dont think will be the case) Although I would think twice about an ILB at #20, I think we would be wasting a pick, instead I would think about signing a veteran FA (Angerer/Ind or Foote/Pit) but only if it a short suspension (which I also dont think will be the case, praying that I’m wrong but
    thinking 8 games reduced to 6 games after appeal ) either veterans would have to be 1yr “prove it” contracts! If it is a long 6-8 game suspension then I would seriously consider drafting an ILB but not at #20

37. By Coach K on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

ChristianR

I really like your mock draft with Steven Tuitt as the first pick. I went back and watched all of his game film today and was blown away. I had not watched him on film before and based on what I saw, no way can I put Ealy or Ford in round one. Tuitt was absolutely DOMINATING. Frankly, I like him better than Clowney because Tuitt does not take plays off. He is clearly a man among boys. His film was shocking. Made Hageman look average.

Your mock was very realistic. Especially the first three picks. I do see the Cardinals taking a tall cornerback in this draft. It’s possible they could target Keith McGill in round two. But Lawrence is solid.

There is one wild card scenario that might be special. What if Lewan falls to pick #20? I believe the Cardinals would take the local boy Lewan and play him at right tackle. Then here is where you might see a second local boy taken in round two. It is very possible that Trent Murphy could slide down to pick #52. If so, I would not be surprised to see the cardinals pull the trigger of Murphy and grab the second local boy. Both picks would fill need positions.

This is unlikely, but not out of the question with so many teams looking for speed receivers. I see many top rated players falling in this draft and pushing top level defenders lower. Can you imagine the media coverage if the Cardinals draft two local boys back to back? It’s possible. Both picks would also be graded higher than where they were chosen. Lewan is ranked top 15, and Murphy top 45.

38. By Eric Randall on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

All I know, if Minter were that good, the CARDS would’ve never extended an offer to K. Dansby to keep him around when they have a second round pick waiting on the sideline. I’m sure Minter will make a great backup and will likely turn into a quality starter someday, but I would rather the CARDS didn’t take that risk just yet and hope CJ MOSELY falls into their laps on draft day.

39. By Eric Randall on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

@Abel Martinez. Almost forgot, they still have fourth round pick Alex Okafor DE-OLB on the roster as well….

40. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Eric Randall,

So what you are saying is Minter was a wasted pick.

If the cards are ready to say Minter is a mistake, then sure an ILB is in order. If you believe, like I do, that Minter is a very good run stuffer and will be a good 1st and 2nd down LB, then you do not need a ILB early , if at all in the draft.

My personal opinion is this, Minter was highly rated last year , Yes Mosley is better but I cant see giving up on Minter and throwing away a second round pick so fast. Let Minter start and on passing downs bring in another safety.

I think adding a safety from the draft to go with Tony Jefferson, Honey Badger, Rashad Johnson, and maybe late add a LB who can play special teams and a vet who will back up Minter and DWash.

41. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Wow, I really HATE this phone I’m posting on!!! My teenage son talked me into this “smart phone crap but im an idiot and just cant figure it out!

Eric, was trying to say no ILB at #20 but no matter the suspension or no we need depth, looking for Cardinals to sign 2 or 3 UDFA and let them fight it out over roster spot along with a veteran FA to guide them along either way DWASH here or not we need depth. If it a longer suspension then look later in draft for maybe a prospect who has played both ILB & OLB and has pass rush skills and could be used as OLB/Pass Rusher once DWASH returns like Shayne Skov/Stanford if he is around when we pick in 4th rd i think that is a good value pick here is an evaluation for him from one of the so called “experts” Versatile, tough run defender, attacking pass rusher, perfect fit in 3-4 defense can play multiple positions, has some blitzing ability. A couple of other names i will throw out…Yawin Smallwood/Conn…Max Bullough/Mich St (had off field issue suspended for Rose Bowl)…Jordan Zumwalt/UCLA…and one last prospect to possibly sign as UDFA this kid intrigues me because of his huge motor and all over the field ball hawker (seems to be everywhere, one minute he is the QB’s jockstrap the next he is blanketing a TE over the middle and then he is on the concourse serving hotdogs!!!
    Hope this gives you or anyone else something to ponder.

42. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

Might help if I didnt delete the name of tje intriguing prospect huh…damn i really hate this small screen and this god forsaken phone!!!!!!! Guess y’all could spend a good bit of your life pondering…who the hell this kid is cuz the idiot posting this cant figure out how to use this so called “smart phone!!!! SORRY guys ( and gals if there are any female Cardinal fans that read or post here) his name is CALEB LAVEY/ OK State!!!!

Let me get off of here before I f#$% something else up or manage to start WW III with this damn cellphone!!

43. By br on Mar 29, 2014 | Reply

That is like wasting a pick, Minter was a high second round pick who has not even been given a chance to show what he can do, depth is needed at ILB for sure but sign a veteran 1yr “prove it” deal, then take someone who can play both ILB/OLB and sign a couple UDFA, who knows we may find a diamond in the rough!!

44. By Big Ken on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

@Andy Kw-funny the Cardinals didn’t approach Chris Clemons. May be more to the guy than we know. Bowles would definitely know the scoop on him.

45. By shannon robinson on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Cardsalltheway : Close your eyes.

46. By Big Ken on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

I think Jordan Zumwalt/UCLA is a sleeper pic under the radar. Depth at ILB is definitely needed. I think Minter is ready to go. Good luck with that phone br.

47. By Coach K on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

br

Don’t worry about inside backers. This draft has plenty of them. In fact, many good quality inside backers are listed as rookie free agent potentials, but they are good solid players. There are several small school mike backers who can play as well. First round is way to high to take a mike backer in this draft. Too many elite players ahead of the mike bakers. So don’t worry. We will be fine.

As I mentioned earlier, I have totally changed my mind on the first round choice after watching Tuitt. I would take Tuitt over Clowney in a heartbeat. Not only is he better than Hagemen, but he is a high character guy who is the son of a sheriff. So you know he was raised with a strict moral code. This guy has tools I have not seen since the days of Bruce Smith. Totally dominates the line of scrimmage. Can play DE or DT. One of the strongest players as well as most athletic big men at the combine.

Tuitt is a no brainer for me if he is on the board at pick #20.

48. By Eric Randall on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

If Minter was ready to go. Why extend an offer to K. Dansby. Someone please tell me I’m wrong. The inside linebacker tandem last year was the CARDS bread and butter. Dansby is now GONE. Brinkley is GONE. DWASH is due to be suspended for sure. Do you really enter the season with K Minter and some one year deal that you sign via free agency. I dont think so. Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Dix will most likey be gone by #20. The best OLBs in the draft will be gone in top 10. CJ Mosely is THE BEST INSIDE LINEBACKER the draft has to offer, HE will probably be available at 20. YOU TAKE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE THAT ALSO FILLS A NEED. MOSELY is a sure fire day one starter and difference MAKER….I SAY no way on GODS green earth the CARDS pass him up…..NO WAY

49. By Eric Randall on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

With that being said, if Pryor or Dix is available at #20 I would be happy to see one of them drafted by CARDS. Delighted even. But the point I was making is this, outside of one of those two safeties, anyone else most likely to be on the board at #20, poses a risk. CJ Mosely in my book poses no risk and would be best player available that also fills a need. IN this scenario, i say you draft CJ MOsely everytime…….no questions asked

50. By Eric Randall on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Just to clarify myself so everyone understands where I’m coming from. These were K. Dansby’s stats last year with the CARDS.

Combined Tackles–122
    QB sacks–6.5
    Passes Defensed–19
    Interceptions–4
    Touchdowns–2
    Forced Fumbles–1

Anyone who believes that K. Minter or some undrafted free agent or any other free agent currently on the market can fill those shoes, you need to seek psychiatric help.
    The CARDS are clearly trying to make a run. They want it now. To get it now, you draft CJ Mosely in the first round……………….end of story

51. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Eric –

RE: Mosely

You’ve made the point on Mosely. Time to move on.

Oh and I will pass on to Keim/Bowles/Arians you feel they need help.

52. By Coach K on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Eric,

If you look at the roster chart, our biggest NEED areas are at Safety #1, Offensive right tackle #2. Defensive line #3, Cornerback #4. All the draft guru’s say pass rushing outside backer, but they forget we have Okafor and Acho coming back. So it’s not a pressing need as right tackle and safety.

53. By CreditCard on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Has Wesley Woodward been picked up in free agency? My layman’s opinion, he is solely a coverage type linebacker, and a good one at that. My opinion, he would be a great tandem with MInter. Minter taking on running / screen play / dump-off pass type plays. Woodward more of the third and long situations.

Just a thought

54. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals had to be one of the most improved teams in the NFL last year. The Panthers would probably have to be seen as THE most improved but they are taking some hits this off-season. The Chiefs LOOKED like the most improved for the first 10 games or so, then they just dropped off. The Cardinals just kept getting better as the season went on, looked like a team that couldn’t wait for next season to begin. So, IMHO, both sides of the ball were greatly improved and the team had done a GREAT job this off-season, with solid additions on BOTH sides of the ball.

If they see themselves as needing to be TRULY dominant on one side of the ball and they feel it’s the defense, I am more than OK with that. Nor would I disagree with that. But I think the offense is going to be just fine and is going to more than hold up its end of the bargain. The weapons are there to engage in shoot-outs if they find themselves in one, but….it’s damn hard to imagine anyone lighting up THIS defense! And I really can’t wait to see this O-line with Cooper and Veldheer nailing down their positions.

I gotta tell ya, I think if there is a team from the NFC that looks ready to step up FOR REAL, it’s the Cardinals. I don’t discount the Eagles, but….I have to see Nick Foles do it again after an off-season of defenses being able to study him ( AND without DeSean Jackson ) before I believe he is for real. I swear, they are SOOOO friggin lucky to be in that sorry-ass NFC East, where they have no one to challenge them. Let’s see THEM have to deal with San Fran and Seattle 2X a year…that was the ONLY reason they won a division last year at 10-6 while the Cardinals were out of the playoffs with the same record. CANNOT WAIT to get another shot at them in our house this year.

55. By Big Ken on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

I think Eric Winston is too busy as the President of the NFLPA to be our right tackle.

56. By Andy Kw on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Credit Card—-

Wesley Woodyard was picked up by the Tennessee Titans. End of story

57. By Eric Randall on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

@Darren

lol

58. By oh#1cardsfan on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Believe the best pick would be Ryan Schazier Ohio state the guys a freak size speed and strength, in Bowles d will be a stud and versatile can play ilb, olb and possibly ss. Given DWash situation its the best choice and the added versatility fits cards wants.

59. By Havasu Tom on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Do you have any access to Palmer’s interceptions by quarter. One of the items
    I believe needs to be addressed is getting Carson into the flow quickly. Maybe use the no huddle early. I’d also be interested hearing any other ideas?

60. By dieselbomb on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Everyone knows we Don’t have a 6th Round pick, right?

We have Round 1 through 5, nothing for Round 6, then a pick in Round 7.

Some of the people y’all have been thinking should available and picked in Round 6 – Won’t be. 31 other teams will be making selections during that round.

We then wait for our turn in Round 7.

After that, Undrafted Free Agents from the College ranks and elsewhere …

61. By All day on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Personally I feel Clinton-Dix will be there. But Mosley is gone by 15. I don’t love the idea of a DE cause that means Dockett is on his way out. OLB would consider it depending. If Barr is there and not Clinton Dix or Pryor fine. But other than that there’s no one worthy of that. As for a OT again no one worthy of it Except zack Martin maybe.

62. By br on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Ored,

If watkins or evans ( im assuming that is the big wr out of a&m you are referring to) fell to #20 something is drastically wrong or went wrong or some huge scandal was uncovered, watkins is top #3 pick and evans not far behind, i would be shocked if evans was still on the board at #7! So if one or the other is still around, and there is no huge scandal or breaking news that something went bad, then i think you would see BA run about a 4.29 40 to get the card to the commish! ( and he would be running from Phoenix in world record time!! Lol

63. By br on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Coach K –

I would not waste a first round pick on ILB, hope i didnt give that impression, we have Minter and i dont think they have given up on him, nor has he given any reason to. I was trying to say sign a veteran and maybe draft one in later rounds, a good value pick because of the depth at ILB in this draft…as well i stated we should sign a couple UDFA, even through some names out to ponder, hope i didnt give wrong impression, you know me, i think we should go offense with #20 pick (Martin/ND if he is there) if not i would like to see them trade out of first rd for extra 2nd rd and maybe a4th or 5th rd pick as well. Im one of the few on here that thinks the defense is solid enough that we should go offense with most of our picks, or go offense with first two rounds then rest defense. Offense needs impact picks, defense is stout enough to draft for depth in my humble opinion of course.

64. By br on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Eric –

If you do that then someone rides the bench, they offered dansby because he played out of his mind at an mvp level minter fills in for dwash during suspension and dansby fills the other ilb spot. Notice the Cards didnt budge and match Clevelands offer? They must think minter is ready he was very high second round pick if you draft ilb #20 then when dwash returns probably moseley ( he is a rookie and may have touble adjusting) goes to the bench, which to me seems a wasted pick (of course im of the opinion that any first round defensive pick is a waste, i think the offense needs impact picks defenae is good enough that we only need depth picks) Everything i have read both SK & BAthink Minter is ready, hence not throwing gobs of money and multiple yrs at dansby to counter Cleveland offer, plus what kind of message do you think Minter gets in his head if they do draft Moseley. I think BPA has to be measured with need as well, they both have to balance each other out dont you think so?

65. By br on Mar 30, 2014 | Reply

Eric –

Cj Moseley wont match those stats either (and should not be expected to not in his first year, maybe not even his second yr…very few ILB’s in the league even came close to those stats. Dansby played at an elite level last yr, can you truly say that you expected those #’s out of Dansby? Can you expect Moseley or any draft choice to produce those kind of #’s, because if ypu do those are some pretty high expectations. Not sure DWASH could produce those #’s even if he was going to be out there for a whole season, I mean if you really think about it those are some pretty lofty numbers for anyone to put up especially a rookie or second yr player, wouldnt you agree with that?

66. By br on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Coach k

I never was or will be a Clowney fan, watched alot of him here in NC, I live in a small town whose only High School is the 3aa three time state champions (going for 4 in a row this coming fall, only loss in last 3yrs by 1 point to the eventual 4aa state champs, who are of course our heated rival, only 2 schools in the county!) But Coach Spurrier (sp) recruits our HS, 3 kids on the roster, and a superstar 4 star rising Junior just commited as well. Anyway sorry about the side tangent..Clowney has all the god given talent any 2 kids could hope for, but he takes it for granted and takes to many plays off, blaming his weak stats on double teams this yr, like he is only one to face them, he just played conservative and lazy at times knowing he was declaring for draft and all the media hype would ensure he would be a top 3 pick!

You think Tuitt lasts until we pick at #52 (i think) in 2nd rd? Not a Notre Dame fan at all ( they steal all the big time recruits out of Illinois, leaving my Illini with the leftovers!) But it would be awesome if Cardinals went Z. MARTIN rd1 & S TUITT rd2!
    Hey, at least I’mm willing to compromise with you sir! (I would not complain one bit if we went offense for rd1 & 2.) LOL!

67. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Eric Randall,

“If Minter was ready to go. Why extend an offer to K. Dansby. Someone please tell me I’m wrong”

The reason you would extend Dansby had nothing to do with Minter. The fact that the cards would not put out an offer like the Browns shows they are not desperate when it comes to ILBs.

Bottom line, last year was Keim’s first draft. He took Minter as a high pick. Minter was to play behind Jasper Brinkley until some point, he took over. Dansby was a vet brought in to fill DWash shoes and then play on passing downs when DWash came back.

Dansby threw a wrench in the plan by playing so well, they had to keep him on the field. No one saw that year coming. The cards wanted him back because of the year he had, but since he got insane money from the browns, the cards will go back to the original plan. Minter will start and they will find a vet in FA to come in and back up.

Our division runs the ball. With Lynch, Gore, and Stacy, you better be ready to stuff the run with your front 7. The one thing Minter does better than anything else is stuff the run. He will be just fine.

I can’t for the life of me see why you are so stressed about this. To waste a first round pick on an ILB would be 1) admitting Keim was wrong last year when he took Minter in the second. 2) Take a pick away from a position we need.

Also, Remember, CJ Mosley is nothing but potential. He has zero tackles in the NFL. You can’t assume he would put up pro bowl numbers like Dansby either.

68. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Havasu –

RE: Palmer

I’d have to research that stat.

69. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

diesel –

RE: No 6th?

That is incorrect. The Cardinals do not have a seventh round pick. They have one selection in each of the first six rounds.

70. By Chuck 1 on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

The front seven is set. Depth can be found after the 1st round.

Any offense draftees e.g. RT, WR and TE can be taken after the 1st round.

The paramount need for the defense is a SS, which should be taken at #20. How many times last season did opposing TEs burn the Cards?

71. By ChristianR on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

For the people who have been talking about drafting an ILB in the first or second round and say we can’t get past the draft with the ILBs on the roster, remember that we drafted Minter last year when we had DWash (with a suspension), Brinkley, and Alexander. Then we signed Dansby. This year we have DWash (with a suspension), Minter (who is better than Brinkley, IMO), and Alexander. We’re likely to draft an ILB, but not as high as we drafted Minter last year. Plus, if we follow the same format as last year, we’ll sign at least one ILB in FA (I personally like Angerer from Indy, who br is bringing up). For the people who think Minter can’t do the job, there are plenty of able bodied vets still on the market, just like Dansby was last year.

72. By Coach K on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

br

There is no way Tuitt slides to pick #52, unless there is some major surprises in round one and several teams moving up and down affecting the draft dramatically. I actually expect this draft to be full of drama. So many top prospects at certain positions, I can see lots of high drama.

That is why I get a very strange feeling a great player highly rated will fall to the Cardinals at pick #20. It could be Clinton-Dix or Pryor, or perhaps Lewan or Martin will fall. If any of these four fall, I can see us sending the card to the podium. And if by some miracle Blake Bortles slides to #20, then within 2 seconds, his name will be scribbled on the card and a mad dash to the podium will take place. But I’m thinking safety or tackle is my guess.

73. By Chuck 1 on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

I should add that I will be absolutely SHOCKED if Keim selects a SS @ #20.

74. By Eric Randall on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy and Christian R

Was done with this conversation yesterday but I cant help myself but to respond. First off, I dont think Dansby was given “insane” money to go to the Browns, it was just a longer term then the CARDS were willing to give due to his age. AS far as i know the $ amt per year was the same. As far as being “stressed” over this, that is silly and makes absolutely no sense. I follow the CARDS and look forward to the draft like most fans and was giving my thoughts on who the first round pick should be, “stressed”, that is bizarre you would even write that.
    as for K MInter, he played ONE defensive snap last year. I believe the #20 pick will be BPA and if Mosely is there, in my EYES, he would be the best player and also one that filled a need……

75. By ored on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

all depends on who’s there,might even see shazier as a situational pass rusher while he develops,can’t teach his speed,but may be able to teach him versatility,i think seattle used that approach effectively.but shutting down TE scoring on us is equal to our offense scoring,works for me until we can do both,and i do think we find an extra gear offensively this year. love how BA and KEIM work together and have taken control,and they atick to their guns and show no hesitation in making decisions,always ready to come back another day with the same mindset.