As of now, six picks in draft

Posted by Darren Urban on March 31, 2014 – 11:17 am

The Cards have made a couple of trades in the past year that included draft picks and possible draft picks, but as of right now, the team’s selections are pretty straightforward: The 20th pick in each of the first six rounds, with no seventh round choice after it was dealt to Oakland in the Carson Palmer trade.

– First round (20th overall)

– Second round (52nd)

– Third round (84th)

– Fourth (120th)

– Fifth (160th)

– Sixth (196th)

As GM Steve Keim has proven, he will make trades. Given the six choices, any Cardinals trade is probably going to be to move down instead of up, in order to gain an extra choice or two. Last year, wheeling and dealing gained the Cardinals eight total picks, dealing down (and still picking up LB Kevin Minter in the second round) and ending up with bonus fourth- and sixth-round picks. Those netted them Earl Watford and Andre Ellington, and if Watford ends up starting this year, that could be some very sound trading. (Ellington alone might make this true.)

DraftForBlog

Tags: , , ,

32 Responses to “As of now, six picks in draft”

1. By Marty on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren, I’ve missed what happened in the end with the Levi Brown trade and I can’t find the info. If I remember correctly the team was supposed to get an additional pick for trading him to Pittsburgh.

2. By steve on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Darren: I am not knocking former Cards GM Rod Graves but I remember feeling frustrated watching previous drafts under his watch because he rarely traded his picks and seemed content to just stay where the Cards were slotted, would you agree?

3. By Dynosoar on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

With our coaching staff, we may never have a bust again. It looks like if we put someone on the field, they’re going to perform. This is good to see and allows Keim to choose BPA as he knows they’ll be coached right.

No wonder there are players excited to come play here.

Have a pleasant productive Monday my friends.

4. By D on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

I could see them trading down again if only a couple of spots if a team below them has a player they need. After seeing that Goodwin story about wanting to sort out the Right Side soon, I doubt the Cards would draft a Right Tackle in Round 1 like some in the National Media think will occur. I believe it will come down between Sowell, Massie and maybe a late free agent addition.

I also don’t see them drafting a TE in Round 1. Keim usually will go with a “difference maker” in the first round, which usually means a OLB or DE not a TE or even a Safety since both potential starters can be found in later rounds…

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Marty —

RE: Levi

Any potential pick for Brown was predicated on him playing in a certain number of games. He suffered a season-ending injury in pregame warmups of his first game in Pittsburgh, so the Cards don’t get a pick.

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Trades/Graves

I think it’s fair to say Graves was not known for being active in making draft trades.

7. By br on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Depending who is on the boardand how many picks are being offered Im sure Cardinals will be working the phones. We could sure use the extra picks, they did an awesome job last yr with the picks made from the trades!

On a seperate note the Texans have released Danieal Manning, I didnt see a minute of the Texans play last yr, pretty sure cap restrictions would keep him from signing with Cards. Is he a SS that could shut down TE’s? Also he is coming offa season ending injury isnt he?

8. By Ricky on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Don’t think the cardinals have enough cap space but is there interest in cj2k?

9. By AzDesertRat1953 on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Would not be a surprise to see 8 picks this year from trading down nor would I be surprised to see another Ellington come to Arizona.

Football sure has changed for the Better in AZ and for the Cards.

GO CARDS!!!

10. By iammattyoung on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

What do you think about the approach this coming season? On the one hand, there has to be a win-now mentality given that Fitz is approaching the twilight of his career and the talent on the defensive side of the ball to be in each and every game (as long as 1. Minter can hang in there, 2. they find a quality safety in the draft, and 3. Tyrann Mathieu can come back strong and without too many bumps in the road). On the other hand, Palmer isn’t a long-term solution. There has to be the temptation to take a QB if one falls in the first, but the need for a top-flight safety is crucial. If they want to throw the future to the wind, they need to go OLB-S-TE in the first three rounds, but I really think that the future necessitates that they take a QB in either the 1st or 2nd round. I like Garappalo if they can get him in the 2nd.

11. By Darren Urban on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Ricky —

RE: CJ2K

Doubt it. And certainly not unless he’d be released.

12. By CardinalChris on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Any chance Cards go Middle Linebacker with their first pick? Are they really convinced Minter, who didn’t hardly play last year, is the answer at MLB? Criticism of Shazier seems to be size, but he’s listed at 235, which is what Dansby weighed last year – although Los had to lose weight to get there. This guy can really fly!! At 6’1, he’s “undesized”, but he ran an unofficial 4.36! 4.36 is plenty fast enough to cover RB’s and tight ends on 3rd down.

13. By Andy Kw on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

This is what I think the Arizona Cardinals will do, in terms of trading down:
    -They trade their:
    –1st Round Draft Pick (20)
    For CLE: 1st Rd Draft Pick (26) IND & 3rd Rd Draft Pick (19) from PIT

–3rd Round Draft Pick (20)
    For NO: 3rd Rd Draft Pick (27) & 5th Rd Pick (29) from NE through PHI

Overall:
    (26) 1st Round Pick (From IND through CLE)
    (20) 2nd Round Pick
    (19) 3rd Round Pick (From PIT through CLE)
    (27) 3rd Round Pick (From NO)
    (20) 4th Round Pick
    (20) 5th Round Pick
    (29) 5th Round Pick (From NE through PHI through NO)
    (20) 6th Round Pick

14. By Robin Phillips on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

Hey D,

Whatcha think about Mosley or Clinton – Dix if either are avail at 20 then McCarron in 3rd if he’s still there?

15. By Coach K on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

The first pick is anyone’s guess. It all depends of how many teams switch positions to grab key players. But we know the Cardinals biggest needs are Right tackle, safety, cornerback, defensive line, and depth at inside and outside linebacker.

I was looking over the measurements from the Combine, and I was surprised that tackle Bitonio had the same arm length at Lewan. I then went to Ourlads to watch Bitonio on film playing left tackle. I must say, he is clearly one of the most athletic and quick tackles I have seen. No wonder Mayock has him moving up on his big board.

I could see Joel Bitonio as an excellent second round pick for us and would be an immediate starter at right tackle. He is the perfect athlete for a zone blocking scheme. Bitonio is not only an excellent pass blocker, but he easily gets to the second level to smother linebackers.

Here’s a bio: http://draftbreakdown.com/players/joel-bitonio/

As for round one, I see four guys potentially in round one. I would not be surprised if teams at the top needing quarterbacks contact the Cardinals about moving up into round one to get one. This could land three extra very high picks for the Cardinals in round 2,3,4 plus a high pick next year. In a draft this deep, some extra picks in round 2,3,and 4 could be gold. Provided we land two starters with the first two picks. Bitonio will be a starter immediately at right tackle.

16. By Scott H on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

They have my confidence, whatever they want to do is fine with me. Well….that and the fact that I don’t follow college football at all and have no idea who anybody is. But that is besides the point. Keim doesn’t have an extensive track record ( yet ) but what he has done so far has included many moves that have turned this team’s arrow upward in a hurry. He knows what he wants to do and he does it. And it seems to work. I’ll hope for more of the same.

17. By CreditCard on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

What is the status of Okafor and Acho? Do you see them playing in certain defensive sets, giving Abraham some rest or more solely special teams player?

18. By All day on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

I don’t think trading down in the 1st is the best option… Getting more picks in the 4th or 3rd wouldn’t be a bad idea. But 1st I would have to say not

19. By ored on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

only makes sense to do that many trades once you have a feel for who’s gonna be there,if a highly prized player should happen to drop and we’ve already traded out of position for him,then the trade was’nt a good one,regardless how many extra picks we got.3 or 4 depth players are’nt equal to one difference maker.and while there is no guarantee who develops into a difference maker,the odds are with the higher rated player and superior athlete.most these kids have been followed and graded from high school,so there is a basis to go off,to see how they have developed so far.

20. By Big Ken on Mar 31, 2014 | Reply

So what if we trade completely out of the first round? Don’t boo me! Cleveland or Jacksonville have the ammo. And don’t forget we already have a good team in our Arizona Cardinals. So we’d take a high second rounder and a third rounder too. Or take the second rounder and a fourth AND fifth. What do you bloggers think?

21. By shooter28 on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

@Cardinalchris- Arizona just drafted Kevin Minter in the second round last year ( same round DWASH n DANSBY were picked up in) , you don’t draft guys that high unless they have the capability of being immediate impact players. When Arizona drafted Minter , Dansby wasn’t yet on the team again though. No matter what rookie ILB picked up , I don’t see a 1st year rookie surpassing Dansby on the depth chart in their first NFL training camp. That’s no knock on Kevin Minter’s talents. Go back and watch that guys tape from LSU , he was an absolute monster ILB. He hits HARD , Straight lumps people up. He is going to be a really good ILB for Arizona , him and Washington will be a formidable duo I think.

22. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

CreditCard —

RE: Okafor/Acho

Sounds like a good blog post. But I think both should be in the mix, especially for depth.

23. By Dynosoar on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Andy,

I don’t know how you arrived at all your predictions, but it’s obvious you put a lot of thought into putting this together.

With all your efforts, were you able to put together a scenario where we can get 9 picks? That’s the one I’d like to see.

I remember about three or four years ago the 49ers had a gazillian picks and I thought “what a waste to get like ten offensive lineman.” (I exagerate, I know.) But they have been giving their RB room to run and their QB time to throw, looks like all those picks were good for them.

So can we get 9 or 10 draft picks? May not happen, but is it doable?

24. By Dennis B on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

The “impact” positions have been taken care of in free agency. Traditionally, first round picks are necessary for left tackles, wideouts, corners who will start from day one. Keim went out and solved those position holes in free agency. The positions we need; safety, linebacker, tight end and right tackle can be found in rounds 2-5. Therefore, I would expect Keim to trade out of the first round if someone offers him an attractive package of day 2 picks. It is exciting that the Cards are at the point where draft picks are mostly needed for depth and FUTURE needs rather than to plug glaring holes.

25. By Andy Kw on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Dyno —

I will see what I can do for the prediction

26. By Coach K on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken

As deep as this draft is, I think trading down makes sense as long as we get higher picks in the top third of round two, three, and four. I mean, we want to have all the picks we trade down for in the top 15 positions in each round. Then, I say go for it.

There are some real gems in round two and three. Bitonio, McGill, Murphy, Moncreief, Loston, Bucannon, Martin, Richardson, Bryant, Moses, Van Noy, Etc. Etc. So moving down makes sense provided all the picks are with teams who pick in the top third.

27. By Big Ken on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Coach K, yeah if Cleveland or Jacksonville pass on a QB early they may want to deal for pick #20.

28. By Andy Kw on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken —

We are not trading up

29. By Coach K on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken

Yes, and I have a feeling both of them cold pass on a QB with their first picks. I think Cleveland may use their second pick to take a QB, but Jacksonville who needs to rebuild may be open to trading up back into round one for a quarterback. No way they take a QB at pick #3, unless Bortles is there and Gus wants to keep the local boy home. I have a strong feeling outside of Bortles, the rest of these quarterbacks will slide to the bottom of round one because of how deep this draft is with elite receivers.

I would love to see a trade with Jacksonville and we get their 2nd round pick and their 3rd round pick in exchange. We would fill all of our needs easily and probably get two starters from our round two picks.

30. By br on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Coach
    If that is Martin/ND you are referring to as being available in second round i dont think he makes it out of the first round, his stock just keeps climbing, no way he is still on the board come round 2. In fact i would be majorly depressed id he is on the board at #20 and we traded down or out of 1st rd leaving him sitting there. I could live with another pick at #20 (though i really want them to take Martin if he is there)but it would be a huge letdown if we traded out of first rd and Martin was available…i just think he shores up the right side of the OL wether at RG or RT.

31. By Eazy E on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Get Johnny Football! Screw it, move up!!

32. By Big Ken on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Andy Kw, no I mean trading OUT of the first round not up.