No three miles for Mathieu, but still “Tenacious”

Posted by Darren Urban on April 1, 2014 – 1:21 pm

There’s no getting around it: The Honey Badger sucked me in. I let my guard down on a day I should not have, and when Tyrann Mathieu tweeted out that he ran three miles today without a brace, I dutifully retweeted the good news. Of course, he then deleted it — not after I added my “good news” note and dozens of fans retweeted that — and then Mathieu delivered the “April Fools” punchline. I knew there was optimism in his rehab. But I should’ve known better about three miles of running in April after the nasty knee blowout he had. You live and you learn. I owe him one.

Anyway, there was something real to say about the Honey Badger Tuesday — there is a new episode of the web series “Tenacious,” which is chronicling Mathieu’s rehab from his knee injury.

In “The King In Me,” Mathieu talks about his belief in how everybody, including himself, is a “King.” “I try and inspire people to not run from the world,” Mathieu said.

He also touches on the monotony of rehab. “I don’t try to look at the (big) picture right now,” Mathieu said. “I try to keep my mind on the first game of the season, what I am going to do when I get back on the field. That’s what I think of, because thinking about this process, it can drive you crazy.”

Tags:

13 Responses to “No three miles for Mathieu, but still “Tenacious””

1. By T Stone on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Well done Darren for admitting your faults. Spoken like a person that never went through knee surgery. How does that hook feel? Mark it on your calendar and get the badger next year.

2. By Coach K on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

I hope honey Badger can get someone to work on that back yard. What a mess. Get some real grass on that dirt.

3. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Wow, all this AND a sense of humor, too. This kid has just continues to do all the right things and I am really happy for him. Hope he is able to be his real self, physically, this season. May yet turn out that the Cardinals got the best player in the draft last year when they took this kid. And ya know what? Good for us, because after the last few seasons – and the last few decades before Kurt Warner found it again – this team deserved to have something go REALLY right for them!

And like the afore-mentioned Kurt Warner, this kid may turn out to be one hell of a great NFL story someday. Would be even greater if he ever got to hold up the SB trophy that Warner came damn close to but never got here.

4. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Not related to this but I wish the damn Redskins would get their $@*% together and get a damn deal done with DeSean Jackson already! Am hearing that San Fran is expressing interest and I would much rather Jackson stay in the NFC East C’mon, Snyder, do something right for a change! Get this done before Jackson has a chance to realize how much better it would be to play for the 49ers than your sorry-ass team.

Geez, I’m counting on the Redskins to help us out….ugh.

The thought of DeSean Jackson joining Boldin, Crabtree, and Vernon Davis in San Fran is NOT one I wanna have to ponder. They would be LOADED with an arsenal like that. And that would certainly give the Niners something to counter the Seahawks and their DB’s with. No thanks!

5. By Big Ken on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Yeah that puppy needs grass.

6. By AzDesertRat1953 on Apr 1, 2014 | Reply

Well Darren you got the short end of the stick that time.

Love it that the HB is the Man he is and will become.

GO CARDS!!!

7. By br on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Johnnybluenose & JTDG,
    Well didnt get much repsonse for Card fans posting where they are currently rooting for Cardinals from, but guess that doesnt really matter as long as the continue to pull for our Beloved C ardinals…I didnt realize y’all were posting some background as well, I guess I’m sort of a unique Cardinal fan since I have rooted for them from just about every corner of the world, and definitely pulled for them from every cesspool on earth!! Started as a wee lad back when they were St Louis Cardinals then I just continued to root for them after the move to Arizona. Pulled for Cards as long as I can remember oh say 43yrs now! Rooting round the world courtesy of The United States Marine Corps, spent 22yrs of my life in the Corps I was actually stationed in Yuma AZ when Cards first moved to AZ. From there I was sent to Presidential Helicopter Squadron, still rooting for my Cards, First gulf war invaded Kuwait, ( I was combat search and rescue, operated with Marine Corps TRAP teams early in my career, went on to Joint services Search & Rescue Secial Ops…So I got all the fun stuff, after first golf war if was off to Japan then Somalia battle for Mogadishu then in1994 lucky me waseooting for Cardinals while in Rwanda attemting to quell the genocide, (nasty nasty s*#$hole) after that relatively quiet times rooting for my Cards the whole time, then 9/11/01, and all hell broke loose, wasnt in the good ol US of A much after that…didnt get to see much of my family, nor my Cardinals! Actually responded to the Pentagon that day ( was back at Quantico Va for another tour. 38 days later I was in this god forsaken country called Afghanistan, Im not sh+%#$g you riding thru the countryside on a Camel…from there ended up in Iraq in 2003 on the road to Bagdad, still rooting for my Cardinals!! After 1 more tour in Afghanistan and 2 more in Iraq (and a few roadside bombs and countless mortar attacks ( and a tiny bit of schrapnel in my calf…ouch!!) I decided I was to old and was spending way to much time away from my family, and of course couldnt follow my Cardinals in most of those anuses of the world, so I hng up the boots in 2006 and decided coastal Carolina was as good as place as any to hang my hat ( plus my last 2 kids were implanted in school here) so I root for Cards from NC now! Who knows, my youngest graduates high school next yr, may just pack up and beat feet to Arizona, where I can truly root for my Cardinals up close!!

8. By br on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Bet Andre Roberts is hating life about now since Desean Jackson is now a Redskin, back to #3 WR. Man dude cant buy a streak of good luck! May actually battle Garcon for #2 WR but what does that get you when your behind DJAX, he is still a crybaby and ulcer in the locker room!! Poor Andre, thought he was going to a weak receiving corps…and now this???

9. By Eazy E on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

How do you make those kinds of plays?-Erin Andrews

You have to think about making plays all the time, even when I’m talking to girls, I’m thinking about making plays!-Honey Badger(Laughs from both)-Interview with Tyrann Mathieu aka Honey Badger @ LSU preparing for ‘Bama I Believe…

10. By Eazy E on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Loved the statement about being kings! Whether that’s God or Jesus, we we’re meant to be kings. Loved that, how can you dislike him!?

11. By ryan on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

haha! WAY TO GO TYRANN! not many people get one over on the ever elusive Darren!!

12. By Scott H on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

br –

HA! I hadn’t even thought of that. But whatever. now that Andre Roberts is somewhere else, I can’t worry about him. He still has a chance to be a productive WR there but…heck, I thought he could have been productive here as well. The good news is that D Jax did NOT land in San Fran. Thank you, Redskins.

Geez, on second thought….Maybe Roberts IS wishing he could do this all over again. Because if Santana Moss is sticking around in Washington this season, Roberts is gonna have to battle him for the WR3 spot. And Moss can still play a little. Here in Arizona, at least Roberts was the clear #3 guy….oh well.

13. By Dr. G. on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

br – ScottH – For the guarantee of $6.25mil for 2014, Roberts would probably play for Cleveland or the Alouettes… I’m thinking he will surprise RGIII with his abilities; and he is faster than he is credited. With his sensibility and determination, RGIII just may have a favorite here…. I wish him well; just not when we play them…. Semper Fi…