Minter, Roberts examples of no guarantees

Posted by Darren Urban on April 2, 2014 – 10:39 am

Andre Roberts got to be a No. 2 receiver for about three weeks.

He signed with the Redskins early in free agency and make no mistake, he got the big money he was hoping for, about $8 million guaranteed on a four-year contract. He also figured, given the rest of the receiving corps, to end up as the second wideout target behind the emerging Pierre Garçon. Then DeSean Jackson hit the market, Daniel Snyder jumped on that, and Jackson is now a Redskin. He’ll team up with Garçon, and while Roberts should remain an important cog it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize Roberts is the one most negatively affected by the Jackson signing. (Well, maybe not as much as the Philadelphia Eagles.)

One of the reasons Roberts wanted to leave Arizona was not only the money, and make no mistake, he wouldn’t have gotten anywhere close to the money he got in Washington here. But he also wanted to have more passes thrown his way. He said as much. And now, through a quirk of fate unseen by anyone at the time Roberts signed with Washington, that’s unlikely. It’s a difficult twist but the reality of the NFL: Teams are always looking to upgrade, and it usually costs someone else.

That’s what Kevin Minter went through last season. Obviously, it’s not the same situation. Minter was drafted, and he didn’t have the chance to pick and choose where he was going. But he couldn’t have ended up in a better place, which, frankly, is why the Cards took him. Sure Jasper Brinkley was signed here, but Minter was going to be the guy penciled in to play alongside Daryl Washington sooner rather than later. Then, again through unseen circumstances, Karlos Dansby was signed and Minter disappeared defensively, playing just one defensive snap all season. Now Minter is going to get his chance, but you never know what can happen — an unexpected release, a la Jackson, or a unexpected draft pick.

Things can change quickly in this league. The landscape is littered with examples.

MinterPicBlog

Tags: ,

32 Responses to “Minter, Roberts examples of no guarantees”

1. By GERMEX on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Pierre Garcon will get injured, thats a given. Roberts wont have to wait long to regain the number 2 spot.

2. By bbudc on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

That’s why we have training camp. You never “win” a starting spot, you only earn the first opportunity to not lose it. Camp is where you must outperform and shine so that when the depth chart comes out, your on top and get the first crack! We have a lot of young guys that need to prove their worth this season.

3. By Dynosoar on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Never liked Washington, the Hogs kept us from winning too many games in my youth, but that dislike has faded over the last few years (been replaced with a dislike for the 49ers and Seahawks, but my dislike for all things Cowboys and Steelers have remained and I’m still not liking the Giants.)

The Redskins have moved into that limbo of 26 other teams that I have no feelings one way or the other about. They’re not on my one team favorite list or my 4 team dislike list or my 1 team Cowboy/crumb list.

Anyway, I’m really interested to see what the Redskins can do this season. Looking forward to some disappointed Cowboy and Giants fans. I think RGIII has to be excited with his 3 receivers. Not as excited as say… Palmer, but excited nonetheless.

4. By Dynosoar on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Maybe we’ll see Roberts in the second or third round of playoffs for our Super Bowl run. I wonder if he’ll like playing in our stadium again for that game? Hehe.

5. By red c monster on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

I think an even better comparison is QB Drew Stanton. He followed BA to AZ without a guarantee but with a shot at becoming our starting QB…and then the Palmer trade happened.

6. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Good observations Darren.

Minter aka “Thud” aka the “Run Stompper”. I like his potential.

7. By xBIGxMx on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

I strongly belive he will be able to step in and fill that gap Los left. He doesn’t have to play like Los to be just as good, even if we draft a LB, Minter has that knowledge and mentoring from Los, it’s just up to him to keep earning the starting job.

8. By krehbieo14 on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

I wish only the best for Roberts. He will be a valuable asset for the Redskins. I think that Washington really rolled the dice with the Jackson signing. Chip Kelly would not have dumped him without having serious issues about Jackson’s character and behavior. After the Hernandez drama, you would think teams would be more careful.

9. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar….no chance Redskins make the playoffs. But we will see Roberts in Phoenix during the regular season.

10. By ralph on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

When is the next chat going to be?

11. By Dynosoar on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

red c monster,

that’s a perfect example.

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Ralph —

RE: Next chat

Probably in a couple of weeks.

13. By D on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Even with Alexander moving to the inside, with Minter a rookie and the odds of DWash not getting some type of suspension slim to none and slim has left the building, Cards need to add at least one ILB this spring/summer.

They will watch the cut list around the draft and a name I would watch in this draft is Max Bullough, a very good Linebacker.

14. By georgiebird on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Good article on the “value” of being in the right place at the right time. It goes for players and it also goes for teams.
    Not to take anything away from the 2008 Cards- but to be in the weak NFC West and play some suspect teams in the playoffs and then come within a couple of minutes of winning the SB.
    On the other hand, the 2014 team could have been a top 5 NFL team and doesn’t even make the playoffs.
    Your article might “strike a chord” on a personal level with anybody who reads it- it did with me.

15. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

Inside LB is about laying lumber and a high motor…that’s what Mint had in college. Go MINT! Get a long S and Mint will fit. And Rashad is a ball hawk behind him…

16. By T Stone on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

We have seen this before. A third string receiver on the Cardinals during a bad year does ok and thinks he is a # 1. Then convinces another team he is better than he is. He just was able to parlay a bad season on a good AZ team and still convince the Bad Redskins. Well Done. Good riddance.

17. By br on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

As soon as i saw the signing of djax that was the first thing i thought of how roberts just moved to #3 (or otherwise known as odd man out in most offenses) hence i posted on another earlier blog how bad roberts luck is…but i do agree garcon tends to be injury prone, and the other knucklehead, djax well he is just djaz, give him time he will be moaning about not getting enough money and will mess up one way or another, then hey…roberts move to #1 WR!! lol

18. By br on Apr 2, 2014 | Reply

ESPN blog reporting BA worked out Lance THOMAS/QB
    See that is obvious proof that the Cards coaching staff and front office read Darrens blog and of course our posted comments, I have been posting for awhile npw how bad we needed to ensure Thomas is drafted by Cardinals, looks like they are taking my advice!!! LOL!! Hey, a fellow can dream that his oinion actually means something to someone other than himself, cant he!! LOL!! It sure be nice to at least let us think that we are experts, huh?
    I really do believe whoever drafts him will be getting a real gem…very good QB ( if the can just coach/fix a couple of issues, but can also be one heck of an all purpose weapon if QB doesnt work out for him

19. By Big Ken on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

I wonder how that workout with Lance THOMAS/QB went yesterday.

20. By Dave Chaney on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Being (literally) an old school Big Red fan, I have a strong dislike for all the NFC East teams, so unfortunately since Andre Roberts is now a member of that division, I don’t wish him well (at least on the playing field). No reason to feel sorry for a man who is now a multi-millionaire anyway. As far as Kevin Minter is concerned, I would think he got some valuable learning time from the bench last year and should join his old LSU teammates this season in making the Cards defense much stronger than it was last year.

21. By Eazy E on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

For Roberts, it does kinda sting but it’s Desean Jackson! I thought the Eagles we’re kinda bluffing and it was one of the worst moves in NFL History in my opinion. Reminds me of the James Harden trade, trading a star and not even truly in his prime but they cut this brotha WTH! Regarding Minter, I ain’t sold at all. Upgrade needed…

22. By clssylssy on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Not worried about Roberts, he’ll make his mark. He’s a good edge runner and clutch player who has been schooled by the best. Garcon has had injuries that have hurt his consistency and while I think DJAX and RGIII look to have promising chemistry anything can happen to make any of the three odd man out. At any rate, the Redskins have a strong receiving corp, a new coach, some very good talent in a solid franchise with money and draft picks to help them become dominant in their division. The Cards play the Skins at home and it should be one of the better games with both teams hungry to prove themselves on the rise! Can’t wait to see #11 up against #11. GO CARDS!

23. By br on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Old school “St Louis” Cardinal fan here as well…cant stand any NFC East team either…i still dislike the Skins more than any of our NFC Best rivals!

24. By br on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken
    Probably not the best, i think “Lance” is the gatorade assistant!!! Thanks for pointing out my stupidity…not sure why the hell i typed Lance! Especially as high as iam on Larry!! Oops i mean Lewis, no wait how bout we go with L. Thomas??
    No, Logan is better but thanks again! Only thing i can think of is i was reading some article about my baseball Cardinals and one was about Lance Lynn. More than likely it is just senility setting in…getting kind of old!!

25. By clssylssy on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

@Easy E
    I hated to see us lose Dansby but, remember Minter is from LSU and comes from a program that also produced Mathieu and Peterson so hopefully he’ll have things going for him that Dansby didn’t such as youth, energy, and a hunger to get there and make his career mark. It will be exciting to see how all this comes together in preseason and with OTAs and minicamps around the corner there’s cause for excitement. With the push for strong defenses, I am hoping the Cards not only can maintain the quality defense we put together last season but take it up a few notches. We’re almost there! Looking forward to a team that can protect the nest and win all the homes games which will be a good start to making the playoffs!

26. By Dr. G. on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

red c – agree with the Stanton example, but he is not one of the best 32 in the NFL… a backup at best, and been around much too long to get a permanent nod outside injury to Palmer. I play the harp again…Cards need to draft a protege QB this year.

Darren – Roberts has not gotten the respect he deserved as you explain the odd-man-out concept, but the ‘Skins now have the 3 or 4 wide weapon that will be very effective with RGIII remaining healthy. Expect better things from them. Cards play them there this year ((I think)) ; you can bet that Jay Gruden will give Andre opportunities to prove something, and he will want to succeed. Cards must step it up for that game !! That may be an RGIII vs Palmer game.

My fingers are crossed for Minter that he has not been emotionally stunted, because he knows he can get it done. He had a stellar college career, and then was caught up in the numbers game because Keim did such a great job cutting and pasting his 2013 team together. Be well Cards Fans…

27. By br on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

D –

Wondering if his suspension was a one time mess up though?
    Bullough that is. Do we really want to draft an ILB if he has character issues that are ongoing or more prevalent than a one time isolated mess up?

28. By Big Ken on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

br-aw I’m just having fun. I enjoy your prospective as anyone else’s on the blog. Thanks to Darren who makes it all happen. How’s that smart phone working? I had to give up me flip phone because people were making fun of me. It’s just a stinking phone! lol

29. By br on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken —

Hey, I deserved every bit of it and more…I have been high on Logan Thomas for yrs now and madw it known probably to many times on here, I could at least get his dang name right!! And I figured by the way it read you were just ribbing me a bit no issue here, as i said, im the numbskull who stepped right into that! I lve my daughter but i hate her way of thinking that dad is stuck in the past and has to get with the times…even though she is probably right! I dont even own a computer, though she is bugging me lately about that too, so if I play my cards right next xmas i should have one…at her expense of course! LOL! ( honestly she knows i would never accept that big of a gift from her, always telling her to spend it on my grandkids, dont waste it on her old man!!)lol hell i wouldnt even get a cellphone until about 3yrs ago, but fell in love with my flip phone it was so much simpler to use, vut i will tell you my cellphone doesnt leave the house, i cant stand the thought of it ringing all the time when im on the go or at work, just another ball & chain that i dont need! Already got rid of one huge ball& chain (ex wife) dont need another ( cellphone) to tie me down!!

30. By br on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

BTW Big Ken, one of those thumbs up ratings you got above for the “Lance” question was from me! Hell if you cant laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at??????

31. By Big Ken on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

br-Are the Cards in your opinion seriously looking at him? Or is it smoke screen? He had a great workout for Arians which of course was reported.

32. By br on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken —

I hope they are, but honestly I couldnt say, it would be a guess on my end. Usually when they have private workouts it could be serious, but BA is a grad of VA TECH and he could of just been visiting and Tech’s coach Beamer may of just asked him to watch Logan workout as a pr freebie who knows. I would be giddy as hell for a few months if he did end up a Cardinal.