Kurt, LoZo inside and a fluid roster

Posted by Darren Urban on April 3, 2014 – 10:25 am

A little of this, a little of that …

– Kurt Warner captured by TMZ talking about Arizona vs. St. Louis. “I probably feel more allegiance to Arizona than St. Louis, just because of the fact there are a number of people that are still there, teammates or in the upper levels (of the organization), being the last place I played, I still live there, there is probably a little more allegiance there,” Warner said. “But still a huge fan of St. Louis and I thank them for everything they gave me.”

I’ve been asked before whether Warner, if and when he goes into the Hall of Fame, would go in as a Cardinal or a Ram. Moot point. Players don’t pick a team for their bust, like you do in the baseball Hall. I just like the fact Warner showed up on TMZ.

– As far back as when Lorenzo Alexander signed with the Cards Bruce Arians was talking about how he had “inside and outside capabilities” at linebacker. Last year, the Cards needed him outside. Now, they need him inside, so it’s no surprise to hear that’s where they are going to play him. It’s highly likely the Cards look at outside linebacker/pass rusher again in the draft (you keep taking those guys when you are building a 3-4 and you don’t have a dynamic, young pass rusher) and depth is needed inside. You don’t know if/how long Daryl Washington might be suspended, you don’t know if Kevin Minter will be the answer. Alexander, who has played inside earlier in his career in Washington, provides depth and a guy who can spot start.

– I’ve been asked a couple of times whether the signings of LeQuan Lewis and Eddie Whitley means the Cards would be less likely to draft a cornerback. No. I thought that when they signed and that’s just underscored with the news yesterday that both two-year deals the players signed did not include a signing bonus. In other words, they can be released without any cap penalty, and in the offseason and a fluid roster, there are often a player or two signed that don’t even get to training camp. I’m not saying that’s Lewis or Whitley, but the bottom line, they are no locks either.

– Virginia Tech tweeted out photos of Arians working out QB Logan Thomas yesterday. What does it mean? It means the Cards are doing due diligence. Beyond that, please don’t get too riled up. I’d want to see what the kid could do too, especially since he’s about as raw as they come even with his considerable physical tools. The annual workout/pre-draft visit caveat: Just because the team meets/works out a guy, it doesn’t mean they are interested. I know of past connections done specifically when they knew they didn’t like the guy just as a smokescreen. And you never know how the meeting/workout went anyway — the Cards may find out they don’t like the kid for one reason or another.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Kurt, LoZo inside and a fluid roster”

1. By 'Zona Fan on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Wish we had Warner back at QB right now! Not that Palmer can’t get it done, but he’s not proven like Warner was at this point in his career. One of the best – hope he makes the HOF!

2. By proud VT Alumni on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Coach Arians played QB and started his coaching career at VT I believe. He is doing a great job at Arizona. As a VT alumni I wonder if he would ever consider coaching again at VT?????

3. By All day on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

I love the idea of drafting Logan Thomas and developing him. But he is very raw. But I can’t get over his tangibles at 6’6 260 and runs a 4.60 40!? That’s like Cam Newtons Big brother. I think if he can prove himself with his arm he could be a great player.

4. By George on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

What many fail to realize is that Warner was one of the best at making quick reads. That was one of the main reasons for his success behind a terrible front line in AZ.

With Arian’s propensity to throw the ball downfield, you MUST have a line that can give you the time needed for the route to develop. Carson Palmer did a great job given the lack of protection he had last year.

5. By T Stone on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

He might not be asked, and it might not matter. But he will be in there for sure. Thanks Kurt. He played more for us than the Rams. Too bad the Rams could not figure out the gloves.

6. By T Stone on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

RE: QB Logan Thomas

Free agent QB.
    No way we draft him, who cares if we work out free agent players. Nice job Keim.

7. By Eazy E on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

TMZ always instigating, he didn’t say anything incriminating about St. Louis. I kinda like the prospects of Alexander inside to hopefully take the ”favorite”(Minter’s Job) on. Signing LeQuan and Eddie doesn’t mean anything because I didn’t even know who they we’re before we signed them. That affects nothing going into the draft at cb. I also kinda like Logan but he is pretty raw. Johnny is my dude following Teddy next at QB and so on and so forth…

8. By Big Ken on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

All day-right on, he’s worth a flier. High roller Keim might pull that trigger.

9. By All day on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Big ken- I hope he does. Not sure what he has for and arm as in strength. But I would suppose he’s got a pretty big arm. Accuracy is the only concern I’ve had.

10. By Coach K on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

This draft is not going to be like everyone thinks it will be. All these quarterbacks are in for a shock as none of them is going to get selected on top of this deep draft. Blake Bortles is clearly the top QB in this class, but there is NO WAY Houston takes him #1 overall. Here’s why:

Thee top six players are sure fire, can’t miss starters in the NFL and will be drafted in the first six picks in this draft for sure.

Clowney
    Robinson
    Mack
    Watkins
    Matthews
    Evans

I cannot say in what order, but these will be the first six players selected. Dix could slide in at #6 instead of Evans, but I’m sure these will be the top six, followed by Dix, Gilbert, Barr and possibly Lewan.

I believe the quarterbacks will slide to the bottom third of the first round just like last year, and the only QB possibly taken in round one will be Bortles at pick #20, or #26. This creates an interesting opportunity for the Cardinals. Do they keep Bortles, or do they trade down with Cleveland and get extra picks?

I’m not sure, but this situation is looking more possible every passing day. My question to you Darren is, what would Keim do if Bortles fell into his lap in round one? Keep him, or trade down for more picks?

11. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: QBs

You might be right.

But I’m going to say the QBs will go high. Because they always go high. They always go a little sooner than they should. Because so many teams are desperate to find one.

12. By br on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

All day,
    I have been lobbying and singing his praises for months, I think the biggest plus is that he is an athlete who happens to play QB, that happens alot, especially High School coaches put there best athlete at QB that way the ball is in his hands the most (if need be they can usually make something out of nothing) doesnt happen as much in college, especially D1 but some of the smaller schools do it quite abit. I think f BA cant polish him into the QB of the future he can/qill convert him to TE or all-purpose weapon. Truly hope Cards draft him, but not use a high pick on him. I do not think A.J. Mccarron (sp?) is the answer, he has no arm, cant throw the long ball, and BA’s system needs that! I believe Mcarron was more of a game manager for a powerhouse program that has the best of the best surrounding him. There is a huge difference btwn a college game manager and an NFL QB!!!

13. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Darren- This is my one pre-season reach. Any chance BA would try Housler at a LB spot. The fact that his blocking and pass catching skills are somewhat less than desired, his size and speed would make him a force to be considered on defense….???

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Housler/LB

Uh, no.

15. By br on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

Coach K
    I’m with Darren on this one, thats not saying talent wise they deserve top 15 pick but usually when teams reach it is for a QB and that is out of desperation! You have read my praises I have heaped on L. Thomas and how bad I want to see him in Cardinal red, but was reading where they were saying Cardinals may pick him in rd 3 or 4, but that is just crazy, eound 5 at the earliest is where I would spend a pick on him if I were in charge (which it is quite obvious I’am not!) But as far as signing him as a UDFA there is no way he does not get drafted some team will draft him he is easily top 10 in QB prospects.

16. By br on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

All day —

Been following him steadily for 2yrs now and he is a monster out on the field huge man! He has a cannon attached to that man as wel, he will need some work on accuracy and a couple of mechanical issues with his release, the “mechanical release issues” seem to be minor but most of the so called experts agree that they are there! (No, im not one of those so called experts!!) But I do believe some of his accuracy problems were his WR’s fault…VA Tech didnt have sure fire studs with the greatest of hands when I would catch a game, which was almost every week, it seemed the pass catchers would leave there “pass catching devises” (ie…there HANDS) at home, or in the locker room or on the bus, or wherever!)

17. By br on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

T-stone,

100% agree Warner to HOF! Iwill go one step further and say should be 1st ballot Hall of famer!

100% disagree on Logan Thomas, he will NOT go Undrafted, he will be gone before 5th rd, some are saying high as 3rd (i really want him but not 3ed bad) I have seen him ranked as high as #6 QB and every “expert” has him in there top 10 QB’s, He will get drafted unless he ends up on a police blotter for a major crime before draft day.

18. By Cardman on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

I would have to agree, Housler would not be a good fit for a linebacker position. But what about a tackling dummy during practice?

19. By Coach K on Apr 3, 2014 | Reply

br

I’m hoping he does slide to us and someone trades up and gives us a treasure chest of picks. I’m talking about two additional picks in round two and three, plus a second round next year. This draft is so deep, I would love to switch with Cleveland at pick #26, plus get Cleveland’s 2nd and maybe 3rd in exchange. That gives us some awesome picks in the first three rounds.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I am kind of warming up to the idea of taking the Thomas kid in later rounds to sit behind Palmer and refine for a couple years at QB. This makes sense, and if anyone can polish and train a QB it is B.A.

Regarding the comment above regarding Housler as a linebacker. I was a little shocked to read that. I honestly don’t think Robby has that kind of mentality for defense.

20. By Big Ken on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

Occasionally two teams will trade positions within the same round for a later round pick or a player from the team that wants to move a little higher. So lets say we want to flip flop with the Titans in the fourth round and we send them Ryan Williams as compensation. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but Wisenhunt drafted the guy and might be looking for an RB with Chris Johnson getting released.

21. By erik on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

-Big Ken

And Whiz is just terrible enough at personnel decisions to actually make that move, Lol!

22. By Big Ken on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

Yeah erik , I mean for starters he pass up the Detroit job. So it’s approachable! lol

23. By Dr. G. on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

Right at this moment, it looks to me like Clowney and Watkins go 1 – 2…. I just hope other NFC West teams don’t get either of them. These men are the best athletes in the draft – offense and defense…freaky how good they are physically! Outside personal issues maybe for Sammy. If a team takes a QB in the top 4, it will surely demo desperation. The Texans could trade down a little from the #1 spot for an extra pick, and still get the QB they need. Still…none of the QB’s will be ready to start this season… unless a team throws them into the fire. No Luck here…Andrew, that is….

When Keim gets to #20, if Ealy is there, he’s a Cardinal. FS’s Prior or Clinton-Dix and QB Carr will present a dilemma. I’m trusting that Keim will execute this draft without the emotional aura that usually skews judgement. Go Keim!

24. By br on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

Coach
    You thinnl we can get a 2nd & 3rd pick just for moving back 6 spots, seems like an awful lot to give up just to move up six spots? I’m thinking maybe one or the other but not both. Now if we traded out of the first rd completely, then i could see that scenario but i think that big a package to move back only six spots is wishful thinking. But I could be wrong…sure wouldnt be the first time!! LOL

25. By br on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken –

I think he passed on Detroit because of the city itself, not the football team. I havent been thru there in yrs (and it was pretty wicked back then, can only imagine how bad it is now! I would take less money and a weaker team over Detroit any day of the week! (And i lived in Washington DC in the late 80’s early 90’s when it was murder capital of America) But at least that was one area about 20% of DC from what I understand it is like 96% of Detroit is bad juju!!!

26. By br on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

I think Bortles is ready to start from day 1, of course i also believe the best situation for him is to sit a yr behind veteran ( or maybe half a yr), but if that is not feasible then I think Bortles would do just fine starting from day 1.

Pure talent wise Manziel would be ready to start day 1 as well, but maturity and leadership wise, no way he has alot of growing up to do off the field.

Carr in a dire pinch seems like he could handle starting from day one, but it would have to be with a team that is solid and has all or most of the pieces in place and has been winning in recent yrs ( please not the Cardinals!!) Hey, i said i think he would do ok as starter with a lot of but…but and if this and that…i didnt say i liked him as a QB to lead us to the SB!!!! I personally dont want the Cards to draft him, Metz, Mccarron or Bridgewater in rd 1,2, or3 if one of them is on the board in 4th or later then ok (unless Logan Thomas/Va Tech is still on the board…then gotta take him, BA can coach him up to be steal of the draft!)

27. By Big Ken on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

@br yeah Detroit is a rough town. But it had been publicized the he would take that job. Afterward he took the Titans gig because it was more money. I thinks the Lions are close like the Cardinals. His decision was a heads scratcher for me.

28. By ored on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

i think when you’re being paid a few million a year,you can find a good place to live,be it detroit or wherever.i also think the titans job suits him,they are actively improving,o-line is good,defense will be good with horton,he just needs a RB,receivers,and coach the QB up,should be right in his wheelhouse.

29. By br on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

I thought I read where Detroit was more money? Thats why i figured the economic bind that Detroit is in leading to alot of crime and widespread violence was the deciding factor for Whiz. Hell if Detroit offered more money he could just commute from north of Auburn hills ( hell i would). Detroit football team is in alot better shape than the Titans in my humble opinion. Hell for the extra money i would commute from the Upper Peninsula! !! LOL

30. By br on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

Hate to break it to you but if either is the 2nd pick they will be playing for the Rams. They pick #2 due to the RGIII trade.
    Sucks for the rest of NFC BEST that Redskins gave up so much for RGIII but really sucks that it was a NFC WEST team that they gave it to, cant blame the Rams any team would have been fools not to take that deal (wether that team had a franchise qb or not, you stll have to take Redskins offer, it was just to good to be true type of offer!)

31. By Big Ken on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

@ ored yes the Titans are bit more of a fixer-upper. I guess Wiz likes projects.