Cards cut Byrd, Giordano

Posted by Darren Urban on April 4, 2014 – 1:02 pm

The Cardinals made a pair of not-surprising moves Friday, cutting two players who missed all of 2013 because of injury: wide receiver LaRon Byrd and linebacker Dan Giordano. Byrd suffered a concussion in the preseason and was placed on injured reserve. Giordano, an undrafted rookie last year, suffered a toe injury during the offseason and was never able to come off the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Byrd had been waived-injured last season, but after he wasn’t picked up by anyone, he reverted back to injured reserve. He had been back at the facility working out recently. Giordano had been faithfully rehabbing daily since the season ended.

Both play positions that figure to be further addressed this offseason, either in the draft or otherwise. The Cards certainly will be adding some outside linebackers and seemingly are a lock to draft one at some point. Receiver is another spot where the Cards will add bodies, although with a top four right now of Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Ted Ginn and Jaron Brown, it isn’t a pressing need.

Tags: , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Cards cut Byrd, Giordano”

1. By Travis on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

Do you see any interest in picking up CJ2K?

2. By CN Punk on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

What do you think the chances are that A-Dub signs a 1 day contract to retire as a Cardinal, IF, he is in fact done in the NFL after being cut by the Pats?

3. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

Travis —

RE: CJ2K

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

CN —

RE: Wilson 1 day

I do think that will happen. I also know he doesn’t want it to happen in 2014.

5. By BeastMode on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think he will come back home? Because he is much better than Yeremiah Bell and he would be a good backup even if we drafted another safety (still don’t why Cards signed the geezer last year and continued to let him start after he got mossed by every TE in the league). So what are our chances because it would be nice if we won a Superbowl this year and he got his ring with us.

6. By BeastMode on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

^ I’m talking about Adrian Wilson in the previous comment.

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

Beast —

RE: A-Dub

He is not playing for this team again.

8. By D on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

Has Massie been at the complex? He should be studying as much as Watford if he wants to start…

9. By joelhc on Apr 4, 2014 | Reply

From what i saw of byrd i am surprised he was let go i saw alot of potential with the right coaching. I am not there for the cap convos and draft convos so i would really be surprised if the cards do not draft a receiver in the 4-6 round now. I have a feeling they have their eye on somebody.

10. By Jahstone on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

Do you think A dub will be back?? Maybe Donovan McNabb??? Even better Otis Anderson????

Seriously though, I appreciate the fact that you have been thorough and expect better from us fans. Hopefully A Dub is in the ring sooner than later!

11. By Big Ken on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

Excited about Watford! His situation is like Minters. Lets give these guys a shot.

12. By Andy Kw on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

I know that Adrian Wilson will not be “playing for this team again.” But this team is so thin at Strong Safety and we could have him as depth. He won’t be our starter unless we need him to be but he would be a great backup. He is a year younger than Yeremiah Bell and he is a big safety at 6’3” 230lbs. I remember like it was yesterday when we had Kerry Rhodes (6’3”) Adrian Wilson (6’3”). One of the biggest and best safety tandems in the league.
    -We could use some bigger players at the safety position anyways if our team really wants to find guys that can man to man against big tight ends like Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, and Vernon Davis.

13. By Coach K on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

If all the elite pass rushers are taken before we pick at #20, I really think we will take Calvin Pryor. He really is heads and shoulders above the next group of safeties and fills a big need for us. I don’t like taking safeties in round one, but this kids looks like the real deal.

14. By Jahstone on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

I agree but think BA and SK are trying to go younger and taller!

15. By Andy Kw on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

So our roster looks okay so far but I am going to predict how it will look in 2014:
    QB: Carson Palmer*, Drew Stanton
    RB: Andre Ellington*, Jonathan Dwyer, Stepfan Taylor
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald*, Michael Floyd*, Ted Ginn Jr*, Brittan Golden
    TE: Rob Housler*, John Carlson*, Jake Ballard
    OL: Jared Veldheer*, Jonathan Cooper*, Lyle Sendlein*, Earl Watford*, Bobby Massie*, Bradley Sowell, Paul Fanaika, Nate Potter, Ted Larsen

Questionable: RG, RT
    Draft Additions: WR, QB, TE
    FA Addition after draft: OL

DL: Calais Campbell*, Darnell Dockett*, Dan Williams*, Frostee Rucker, Alameda Ta’amu,
    LB: Daryl Washington*, John Abraham*, Matt Shaughnessy*, Marcus Benard, Kevin Minter, Sam Acho, Lorenzo Alexander, Alex Okafor
    DB: Patrick Peterson*, Antonio Cromartie*, Tyrann Mathieu*, Rashad Johnson, Tony Jefferson, Jerraud Powers, Justin Bethel, Bryan McCann
    ST: Jay Feely, Dave Zastudil, Mike Leach

Questionable: OLB, ILB, SS
    Draft Additions: LB, SS, DL
    FA Addition after draft: SS

Players on their way out or won’t stay: QB Ryan Lindley, RB Ryan Williams, WR Teddy Williams, CB Curtis Taylor, CB LeQuan Lewis, CB Eddie Whitley, K Danny Hrapmann

16. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

Ted Ginn sure changes the roster and draft equation at Receiver, no? We need 5 solid receivers, but with 4 in the stable, maybe we’ll get surprised and have a 5th come on board with upside potential. Never felt so solid across the board at this time of year before… draft party on deck! Can’t wait for preseason.

Go Cards!

17. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

PS: Don’t feel quite as confident at TE, need one more, hope we draft a big, good one.

18. By Scott on Apr 5, 2014 | Reply

Bruce Ellington? Would like to see him on the same team as his cousin.

19. By cardsalltheway on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

I hope Arians doesn’t turn Moxy Man Crush on Johnny Manziel at #20(if he’s there) like Ken Whisenhunt did with Moxy Max Hall.

20. By Coach K on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

I just watched Gruden’s special and the feature on Jimmy Garoppolo. I really like this kid. Would not mind having that quick release wearing the red and white. Man does he snap that ball out of his hands quick.

21. By Chuck 1 on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

Coach K,

I agree with your top two defensive picks, rounds 1 &2 (if I read you correctly).
    In no particular order; Pass rusher & SS (have to shut down the TEs that killed us last season).
    TE, CB & MLB in middle rounds..
    And, a WR later in the draft or an UFA.
    If a QB that Keim and BA “love” falls to them, they’ll jump to the podium.

22. By Andy Kw on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

Don’t bring up Max Hall again

23. By T.Stone on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

I love it when Darren tells fans definitively that someone like Wilson or Bolden is not coming back and its true. But as great as Darren may be as a blog writer and a member of the Cardinal family, his opinion is just that. An opinion and everybody has one. Don’t lose hope Beast. But yea, Wilson is probably done after that injury.

24. By Darren Urban on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

T. Stone —

RE: Wilson

What makes you think it’s an opinion?

25. By T.Stone on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

D. Urban

RE: Opinion

Well, if it were a FACT then you would be the GM or in charge of Player personnel for the Arizona Cardinals. Which you are not. So therefore it is your opinion.

26. By Coach K on Apr 6, 2014 | Reply

Chuck…

I actually changed my mock based on the latest information I read. If you check on the earlier article post titled “Debating X,O, Jimmy, Joe” I put up my most conservative, realistic mock. I put safety first, then pass rusher, OT, DT, oG, and TE.

27. By br on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

First I will apologize to you Andy Kw, but I have to bring up a certain QB, would like to note the a Manziel “man love” case and the so called Max Hall “man love” case are two completely different cases and probably should not be compared. Hall was a 7th rd pick if my memory serves me correctly teams xchange out clip board holders all the time in hopes of finding a Tom Brady like gem (a once in a lifetime find!) Whereas, a so called “man love” 1rst rd pick on Manziel better be more than a fling or lust or one night stand, call it what you will…but it better be true love and marriage if you plan to use a 1st rd pick on a QB. I dont think BA or SK are convinced that any of this yrs crop of QB’s are marriage material (ie…worth a 1st rd, or even a 2nd round pick) and I believe they are 100% right!! But using a late round pick on a QB you see something in is commonplace NFL wide. And actually thinking about it we really wasted nothing on Hall i believe he was UDFA, who was thrown to the wolves way to early and had 0 chance to succeed! As an UDFA or late rd pick a project 3rd string QB should be given 2 to 3yrs minimum to hold the clip board and soak in everything possible before he ever sees the field in a game that counts.
    Ps…someone please correct me if im wrong, but Hall was signed Undrafted?

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

T. Stone —

RE: Opinion

So unless you are in a position of power it is impossible to know a fact. It’s all guesswork.

29. By cardsalltheway on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

“br”
    “but I have to bring up a certain QB, would like to note the a Manziel “man love” case and the so called Max Hall “man love” case are two completely different cases and probably should not be compared.”

Your reasoning is wrong. If there is a reason not to compare them it’s that Max Hall started for the Cardinals his rookie year and the only way Johnny Manziel would start is if we draft him and if Carson Palmer gets hurt. However, the reason they’re comparable are three-fold + and I’ll touch on one of them. If Manziel starts this year(for whichever team) he’ll get knocked out silly of a game just like Moxy Max.

30. By Big Ken on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

@ Patrick Hoog “draft party on deck!” let the pouring begin.

31. By Dr. G. on Apr 7, 2014 | Reply

AndyKW – Don’t know why you got so many dings by just stating the obvious. I do, however, agree with your needs on Offense. Ginn is fast, supposedly, but I read that he has hands of granite. They still have to cover him…

For the Fans, just remember where we were in April 2013…

Hoog – Yep, we don’t just need another TE, we need a TE who can scare other defenses… we agree….

cardsalltheway – No way Arians could pick JFootball, the drama would give the coaches a case of the hives like poison oak…

br – Max Hall is Danny White’s nephew…just “called” in an IOU somehow when he came in… I think he is in Canada?

Darren – Stoner has this “love – hate thing goin’ on for you!” Mostly subliminal love!

Big Ken – What draft party? I think Darren should have his own little draft shindig on the lawn with some of his poster fav’s…. We’ll Buy… that would be cool….

32. By br on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

Although I pray the Cards dont draft Manziel I believe he is much more talented than Hall and wouldnt get ko’s because of his feet, he has the uncanny ability to make something out of nothing almost every time. I dont want manziel because of his off field antics, not his football skills. Also he would not play if Palmer were injured they are paying D. Stanton way to much money and BA brought him in to be the starter so he has to much money and confidence in Stanton not to play him. Any QB we draft this yr (if we draft one at all) will be late rd project to hold a clipboard and sit and learn and be coached up for 2-3yrs. I believe there is only one QB that if he fell to us in the first rd that Cards would draft and that is Bortles, which isnt going to happen, but if by some miracle it did he would still sit behind both Palmer and Stanton for a year, that is what makes the most sense in my humble opinion. With that said, Cards need to spend 5th rd pick on Logan Thomas/Va Tech (I may have mentioned this before! LOL) I believe a QB before 5th rd is a wasted pick! Mark my words, if Cardinals continue to win and Palmer has a solid season (which for him to have a solid yr we need OL help especially on the right side, that is fixed by drafting Z. Martin/ND with #20 if he is still on the board) but if those things happen Palmer signs a two yr extension after next season, possibly mid season if things are going well.

33. By br on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G –

In reference to TE’s keep your eye on Ballard, in the short time he was a Cardinal last yr he was very impressive!
    Not sure what kind of IOU Cards or previous staff would have with Danny White??? Hall had an impressive college career, and they just saw something in him, but out of desperation he was thrown in to the fire a couple yrs to early, Wiz tried alot of different looks at QB looking for the next Kurt Warner! Most were illadvised moves by a desperate coach in my opinion. If it were an IOU dont you think he would have been around longer?

34. By Big Ken on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G, I’m down for that. This was Patrick Hoog’s original idea. He’s the lead blocker on this play.