Warner and his potential Az Hall call

Posted by Darren Urban on April 8, 2014 – 1:50 pm

Aeneas Williams will kick off the 2014 season for the Cardinals, in a manner of speaking, when he is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as training camps are just getting underway. Maybe the Cards will have a Hall of Fame connection as the season is wrapping up, and the NFL prepares to play the Super Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium. That’s when Kurt Warner will be on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time.

If Williams is the best draft pick the organization has made since the franchise moved to Arizona, then it’s probably safe to say Warner was the best free-agent signing. His time with the Cardinals had an interesting arc, from veteran stop-gap to placeholder for Matt Leinart to franchise QB, all in the span of five seasons. As weird as it was, Warner wouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame discussion without his Arizona rebirth. His major personal success (his Super Bowl win and two MVPs) came with the Rams, but he arguably had his greatest accomplishments leading the Cards.

(He definitely played more games in Arizona. He finished with 61 games as a Card, compared to 53 as a Ram and 10 as a Giant.)

So, with the fifth season about to start since Warner retired, the potential Hall of Fame call comes for the first time after the season. Warner, having watched one-time teammate Williams get in, admits he already thought about that possibility.

“It’s hard not to think about it because people always want to ask you about it,” Warner said. “But I try to be realistic. One of the things with athletes, we’re not very realistic with situations. We always think we are the best. But I am realistic with the route it took me to get here and maybe some of the strikes against me, that maybe I didn’t play as certain people or had some bumps in the road. I don’t know if (the Hall of Fame) is going to happen. I don’t know what really determines it. But the great thing is, I am so completely content with what I accomplished on the football field.

“I did some things no one has ever done before. I think I played at a Hall of Fame level, at least for a period of time. Does that constitute me being put in the Hall of Fame? I have no idea. I just know I put in the work, and now it’s up to somebody else to wade through and figure out what belongs there. Obviously, from the time you are little, you want to make your mark in whatever you do. For me, it was the National Football League. To finally be here, and to have a lot of people think you will finally get there, you can’t help but think about it and how special it would be.”

WarnerHoF2USE

Tags: , ,

45 Responses to “Warner and his potential Az Hall call”

1. By joe67 on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

I sure hope he makes it 1st ballot.
    Darren, do you know why Mr. Bidwill will not allow numbers to be retired? Are we the only team that does that?

2. By Ryan on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

So Aeneas kicks off the season, we win the Super Bowl in our stadium, and The Great one Warner caps it with him going in….don’t t think it cant happen

3. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Joe67 —

RE: Numbers retired

In truth, the Cardinals do allow numbers to be retired. But it takes a very special reason. Five numbers are already retired: 40, 8, 88, 77, 99. Most teams don’t do it a lot — in football, you need 90 numbers every camp. You can’t just retire a bunch.

4. By Dr. G. on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

I have Williams #35 signed jersey and have worn it many times to games etc… I bought it from him at a charity auction at the Biltmore when he played here. Maybe I’ll try to post a pix of it later… He is a man of the cloth now…a true role model.

As for Warner, I know of no one in the history of pro sports who has accepted the “honor” of being a role model not for just children, but for grown men as well. Since his departure, we do not see the gathering of many players from both teams post game at the 50-yard line giving thanks for the privilege playing in the NFL… He did this at away stadiums as well! And in the club house, he made his peers believe they were winners.

Warner is unwavering in his moral presence…and just happens to be an excellent QB who came through some challenges most of us would not believe. I think in exchange, he was given talent few men have… He’s is simply the BEST. You feel that when you are around him. No arguments accepted….

5. By Jerry on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Great article Darren. Warner had one hell of a bumpy road in his career but he always seemed to bounce back. Leading the Rams into 2 superbowland taking the Cardinals to one. For what Warner has done to the Cardinal franchise and what him and his wife does for the community in Arizona, he will always be a Hall Of Famer in my eyes

6. By Andy Kw on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Richard Bartel is underrated.

7. By AzDesertRat1953 on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Was he not the first QB to take Two different Teams to the Super Bowl?

Any way you look at it Kurt Warner should be in the HOF.

GO CARDS!!!

8. By BirdsSTC on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Class act. Pure and simple.

9. By Héctor Flores on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Yes Kurt is a HAF player! !!

10. By Gary Nichols on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

I thank Mr. Warner is the first QB to lead two different teams to the Super Bowl and to be a FA QB to start out with the Rams. He has made me happy to say that I am a God loving man and happy to say that I am a Az. Cardinal fan from Ky. My God bless you and your family always.

11. By Scott H on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Perfectly stated that Warner would not be a serious candidate for the HOF w/out what he accomplished with ( AND FOR ) the Cardinals. Seriously. Heck, THAT alone should be a major consideration right there – that he took the Arizona Cardinals to a SB ( which they almost won! ) when NO ONE would have dared to consider them a SB-worthy team.

But he has the numbers and has the overall resume, which includes SERIOUS post-season accomplishments. The man went to 3 Super Bowls, won 1, could have very well have won all 3. But in those 3 games, he put up the TOP 3 passing performances in SB history. The man just rose to those occasions and played his best on the biggest stages.

I know, he won’t go into the HOF as a member of any specific team. But I think we know, he knows, maybe everybody knows that it was his late career years with the Cardinals that made him a Hall Of Fame-er. And in that respect, the relationship between Kurt and the Cardinals was as reciprocal as ANY relationship could possibly be. He put the Cardinals into a Super Bowl ( something they would not have done without him ) and the Cardinals put him into the HOF ( where he would not be without them ). Such a perfect exchange and – like so many of the passes he completed to Fitz and Boldin – just a beautiful thing.

12. By georgiebird on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Kurt Warner taking the perennial losing Cardinals to the brink of winning the SB was the greatest performance by a QB in NFL history.
    Guys have had better years, better stats, better records and a SB ring but nobody put the Cardinals on his back like Kurt did.
    I believe the Cardinals winning the SB would have been the biggest story in the NFL in the last 75 years- only being rivaled by the Jets victory in SBIII.

13. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

OK guys,

My second mock draft;

Lets say the top of the first round goes like this;
    Texans – Bortles
    Rams – Robinson
    Jags – Clowney
    Browns – Mack
    Raiders – Manziel
    Falcons – Mathews
    Tampa – Watkins
    Vikings – Bridgewater

I dont think another QB gets picked between 8 and 20. The Browns have shown in the past, they like to trade up in the bottom of round one to get their guy.

Cards 20th pick goes to the Browns, who take Derek Carr. – Cards drop to 26th getting an extra 3rd.

At 26, the Jags surprise and come up to get their guy, Jimmy Garoppolo. The cards drop to 39th. This could be the Bucs coming up too. The cards pick up and extra 4.

So, the cards have 39, 52, 71, 84, 105, 120

At 39 – Demarcus Lawrence – OLB -The cards get a dynamic pass rusher to rotate and eventually next year take the 35 year old Abraham’s spot.

#52 – Zach Mettenberger – QB -Yes, I am the one who said no QB needed, but with Zach coming off an injury, he might be worth the pick. Whose to say we can land a QB in the next year or two. Secure the QB spot for the future while Palmer plays out the present.

#71 – Kelcy Quarles – DE – Big body with good quickness. Can split double teams and will do well behind Dockett this year and take Docketts spot next year.

#84 – Ed Reynolds – Safety – Big rangy safety with good speed, can cover, and when the ball is in his hands, he can take it to the house. He is a game changer type player.

#105- Antonio Richardson – OT – Yes, with talent at tackle in this draft, I believe most experts have him as a late 3 early 4. Richardson can challenge Massie for the RT spot.

#120 – EJ Gaines – CB – At the least can develop into a nickle back but could become a starter.

There is my 4 round mock.

14. By jason on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Craig Morton led Dallas and Denver to the Super Bowl, but he lost both games

15. By br on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Should NOT even be any debate, Kurt Warner is a first ballot HOF inductee!! Even when he played for the Rams and I admit freely that I was not a fan of his or the transplanted Rams, Nobody can deny what he did on the field in a Rams uniform or a Cardinals uniform! (I dont count the wasted time with the Giants, he got a raw deal there!) Next stop, Canton OH.No if’s, ands, or but’s about it!!!!

16. By kentry Greer on Apr 8, 2014 | Reply

Warner deserves it period. Ram legend don’t care about Arizona and if Patriots didn’t cheat he would have another superbowl

17. By Dynosoar on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

Ryan,

you had me until the last line. I believe it can happen (unless you meant for a question mark to be on the end, in which case I’d agree that I do believe it can happen.)

18. By clssylssy on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

Nice article Darren, very nicely articulated Dr. G. These days everything is about stats with other player qualities overlooked, often times until years later when the player has passed. Kurt Warner should get into the Hall on the 1st ballot because he not only has the creds (not always the same as stats) but is a symbol of football and the American dream and is the kinda role model you want young rookies to see when they tour Canton in orientation, a reminder that they can have an amazing career without selling their soul. I’ve seen Warner play while a Ram as well as a Card, seen him booed and cheered and he has always been the class act and gentleman, respectful of his fellow players and the game, grateful to the fans. I’m proud that this organization has continued to provide an environment of personal as well as professional growth and human service that we associate with players like Pat Tillman, Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, Jay Feeley and the Bidwill family.

19. By Dave Chaney on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

If Kurt Warner doesn’t get into the HOF, the voting is rigged. He proved time and again he was a great athlete on the field and still is a great person off the field. He and his wife still do a clothing charity for needy people at Christmas time in St. Louis and he is loved as much here as in Phoenix.

20. By arizona edo on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

This is a complete no brainer. Dan Fouts had had the most at 27% of his games with 300 yards when he retired. Kurt Warner is at 50%. He is the pioneer of the new QB era and has a special place in History. He also has the best 3 Superbowl games as a passer in yards. Plus he’s class. Go Kurt!

21. By br on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

Ok all you GM’s out there gonna throw out a question to you….

Ryan Williams/RB

What do Cardinals do??
    A. Try and trade draft day, get a 6th or 7th rd pick maybe?

B. Showcase him in preseason and possibly get a little higher pick for next yrs draft ( probably not going to get much more than low 4th rd in best case scenario, in my humble opinion)

C. Hold on to him and trade him before trade deadline to some team that hit hard by injury bug?

D. Keep him and put him in the rotation and if he returns to form and shows promise like his rookie season before injury, make him the “co feature” RB and let him run wild.

E. Cut him and use cap savings somewhere else?

Put your thinking caps on and have at it ladies and gents!

22. By br on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

Arizona edo

WOW!! That is impressive I had no clue that Kurt had that high of % of 300yd games, would have thought D. Fouts (air coryial (yeah so i have no idea on the spelling, sorry!) But anyway i would have thought Fouts would have blown away most QBs in that category, Warner included! Thanks for info…very interesting, hopefully the HOF voters see this kind of info!!! Shoe in for Hall in my opinion, but every impressive stat helps! Thanks again.

23. By br on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

ICards trade down a second time and go down to #39 they better get a 2nd (additional 2nd rd pick macking the Bucs give up two second rounders) and a 4th or early 5th rounder by god!

24. By Dynosoar on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

Kurt Warner Records Too long a list to list here.

Towards the bottom of the page

25. By Ramfanjim on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

Kurt is a HOF player and a HOF person. He could not have made it in to the HOF without BOTH experiences – Rams and Cardinals. If he has to pick, it would be the Rams – c’mon, two Super Bowls (one a win), two MVPs, multiple regular season and Super Bowl records. It will be a travesty if he is not voted in first ballot.

26. By arizona edo on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

You don’t have to pick a team in NFL to go in to the hall of fame. i always said that if he had to, Anease Williams could have gone as a St .Louis. Cardinal even though he played with the StLouis Rams and the Phoenix Cardinals.
    To br; you’re welcome. I’ve been a cardinal fan since 69 when my dad went to a Giant game and came home with 2 pennants. He asked my younger brother which one he wanted and he said “I’ll take the blue one”. dad looked at me and handed me the red one and said”Ed, it look like you just became a StLouis Cardinal fan”. If it wan’t for Kurt Warner, we’d still be looking for our first trip to the dance. Go Cards!!!!

27. By ored on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

i don’t think there is any way he does’nt go into the HOF,too many records and top tier performances.

if we trade out of the 1st for a 2nd,we need more than just a 4th,at least swapping positions in the 3rd also,other than that most your picks you’re banging the drum for are solid,still a lot depends on bpa when it’s our turn and who drops,everytime someone we like is picked before us starts the hunt all over again,and it’s funny how we see a new face in a different light.

28. By Scott H on Apr 9, 2014 | Reply

br –

Honestly, what trade value does Ryan Williams have? I don’t know if anyone even gives you a 7th rounder for him. I doubt many teams are even interested. And if they are, they are probably confident they can get him for free when he is released. Seriously, with his history of injuries, he is not anyone’s answer at RB right now. Why give up a draft pick for him when you would be better off drafting a RB with that same pick???

JTDG –

There is mock draft posted on NFL.com right now that has the Cardinals taking Carr in the first round.

29. By jason on Apr 10, 2014 | Reply

So I’ve admittedly been out of the loop for a couple of months but here is my off the top mock

1. Kony Ealy
    2. Joel Bitonio
    3. DeQuan Jones
    4. Dion Bailey
    5. Logan Thomas
    6. Avery Williamson

30. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 10, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

Carr has everything you want in a QB except when pressured, he throws off his back foot. I also am thinking Mettenberger will go in the top of round two now.

br –

Trades – I can only go off the value in the past. If there are bidding wars, then the price goes up. Last year, Dallas went from 18 to 30 and got a 3rd. Dropping from 26 to 39 is not getting an extra two. At best a 3. But, I would take a pick at the top of round 4.

As for Ryan Williams, I am not sure why we still talk about him. He is the 4th running back. If other teams wanted him, they would call. He will come to camp, compete, get cut, and maybe have a chance to make someone else’s roster. He must have a big camp and preseason to show he even belongs in the NFL.
    RB value has dropped and a guy with major injuries issues and who has never showed anything in the pros, does not have value.

31. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 10, 2014 | Reply

Many dont like my mock draft. Maybe it is the trading down, I’m not sure.

But I would be happy if the cards didnt trade down and went
    1- Lawrence
    2- Mettingberger
    3-Reynolds
    4- Gaines

Trading down adds risk but would net us two more players.

32. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 10, 2014 | Reply

Jason

Looking at your draft, I think we both like Ealy. That is a good pick. I like Lawrence better but I would be more than happy with Ealy

I have seen several pick Bitonio. I’m curious. Most project him as a guard although Mayock says he would try him at RT. Is that your thinking? Do you believe in Watford? What if most scouts are right and he is a guard, did we waste a 2nd on a back up. Like to hear what you are thinking there.

Jones is someone I looked at too. But is he a NT or DE? Is he quick enough to play the DE? That was my only worry.

Bailey is a nice pick.

Logan Thomas – I’m leaning towards Mettingberger earlier. But if not, a flyer on Thomas might be alright.

I heard them reporting on NFL network, that when talking with scouts, what is the top trait you look for in a QB. They came back with smarts. They want someone smart first. For you and I taking QBs, we will never sit in a room and find out how smart they are. That’s what makes it such a tough call on QBs

33. By Gary Nichols on Apr 10, 2014 | Reply

John
    If you are looking a smart QB, you need to look at Teddy Bridgewater. This young man has a GPA of 4.0 in the class room, and shows it on the field. I know he did not have a good Pro-Day, but put yourself in his place. With 100+ scouts in and on the field, you would have a bad day also. He has had no off field problems eather. I would love to see the Cards have him in for a workout before the draft.

34. By Eazy E on Apr 10, 2014 | Reply

Almost without question! His career in ‘Zona solidifies him being in there. He’s been to 3 super bowls and unfortunately probably should have 3 rings because he left the other 2 with the lead but should’ve, could’ve, would’ve… The numbers he put up in a relatively quick pace is HOF stuff. Bringing the Cardinals and Rams to super bowls WOW!!!

35. By Big Ken on Apr 10, 2014 | Reply

Trade pick #20 for a high second and high third rounder-minimum, maybe a pick next year too. Cleveland or Jacksonville? I don’t know if our coaching staff is sold on Mettenberger. He looks the part. Plenty of solid OL’s in 4th or 5th round.

36. By Dr. G. on Apr 10, 2014 | Reply

That some disagree with some of your many mock drafts may be that there are misunderstandings. It appears your thinking cap is operating at red line lately on this draft and free agency. Many of your past picks have been easy to agree with, but this latest post baffles me.

Perhaps I need clarification unless you are joking in snide. You say Lawrence, DE … Reynolds FS… Mettenberger QB… Gaines CB… in rounds 1-2-3-4 …. This looks like drafting to “needs” without BPA ranking consideration. This is a “needs” approach, but these men are ranked “overall” in this order: 56-103-89-87… There are many ranking lists, but this is generally acceptable. You are foolin’ huh, and I took the bait and hook? …. I have enjoyed your analyses though…. Be well….

37. By jason on Apr 11, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

Bitonio has the athleticism to play tackle and like Mayock said I’d make him prove that he couldn’t be a tackle. He comes in and provides competition for both the right guard and right tackle and even if he doesn’t win the starting spot he makes both positions better by pushing Watford and Massie. If he can play tackle and guard his versatility is a plus and remember that Sendlein will be a free agent after the ’15 season he is upgradeable and Cooper can play guard. I never think it’s a wasted pick to add to your offensive line.

DeQuan Jones is someone who looks better on tape than Hageman IMO, he is more active and shows up all over the place. I think he could play both NT and DE in the 3-4 and with Ta’amu’s injury Jones could play a lot right away and he could be a possible replacement for Dockett if he has the quickness to play the end.

I like your draft because of EJ Gaines and I’m not against Mettenberger…don’t know a lot about Lawrence or Reynolds I’d have to check them out.

38. By Big Ken on Apr 11, 2014 | Reply

A couple of mock drafts have Anthony Barr sliding to the Cardinals at pick 20. Not much discussion about him with you guys. Is he a fit for the Cards? Or are there red flag and why some see him slipping in the draft? Or is there just no way he’s there at the 20th? I like Ealy or Pryor.

39. By Scott H on Apr 11, 2014 | Reply

JTDG –

I defer to your wisdom, sir, because I know nothing about any of these college players. I am amazed at your knowledge base.

Yeah, not sure why we are talking about Ryan Willams, either. Was just responding to br. I feel bad for guys like him, guys who seem like they could be very good players but just can’t stay on the field long enough to get going. Kinda like Kevin Kolb. Man, we have had our share of these guys, haven’t we???

40. By jason on Apr 12, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken-

If Anthony Barr falls to 20 I think he is a good fit for the Cardinals. There are two things that concern me about Barr one is the stigma of PAC 12 (10) edge pass rushers and how they translate into the NFL and his lack of experience rushing the passer having only played the position. I’m posting an article I read last year that kind of speaks to the issue with PAC 12 edge rushers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/3/20/4123210/2013-nfl-draft-datone-jones-dion-jordan-pac-12-pass-rushers), but as far as athleticism and potential I think Barr is an excellent prospect and a fit for what the Cards do.

41. By Dr. G. on Apr 12, 2014 | Reply

ScottH – Two of our big men plagued with injuries and experimental surgeries ((microfracture)) were Eric Swann and Andre Wadsworth. The Cards were burned by these costly conditions… These men had great talent…really sad for them…. There were many years after the team moved to Arizona that they carried the moniker “Snakebit Cards”

42. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G.

Oh. absolutely, in regard to Swan and Wadsworth. I was gonna mention them as well, but…any Cardinals fan worth his or her salt knows this. At least Swan had a decent career, got to play some years at a high level. He could have done so much more if his knees hadn’t gone to hell on him but he was around for a while and he was one of THE nastiest dudes on the planet during that time. Wadsworth was just such a shame. A shame for him and a shame for Cardinals fans as well! Geez, we thought we had just drafted the second coming of Reggie White or Bruce Smith and we already had Simeon Rice on the other side. But….it was not to be. He played one year and that was it, he was done. So sad.

THEN, there was Kyle Vandenbosh. Seemed to have all the potential in the world but WE never got to see it because HE was always hurt. But, of course, as soon as we cut him loose, he becomes instantly healthy and instantly becomes the player WE never got to see, and he did it for many years thereafter. Put him right up there with Garrison Hearst and Thomas Jones as players who never found it with the Cardinals but sure found it after they went somewhere else.

I swear, do people even understand how hard it is to be a Cardinals fan???

43. By Big Ken on Apr 13, 2014 | Reply

Good stuff Jason! And welcome back. There are some players that are going to do the draft tumble.

44. By Raymond williams on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

It would be really nice to see Mr.warner make it to the great hall. He gave the fans of st.louis our first and only super bowl appearance and win and so much joy. Good luck.

2. Apr 8, 2014: Kurt Warner Talks Hall of Fame