More Powers for Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on April 14, 2014 – 9:28 am

There was a lot of speculation about the future of cornerback Jerraud Powers, especially after the Cardinals were in the process of wooing and then signing Antonio Cromartie to start alongside Patrick Peterson. But Powers wasn’t going anywhere, in large part because the injury of Tyrann Mathieu makes him an early-season question mark. There are other reasons, though, including a trust factor with the coaching staff. And then there is the profootballfocus.com analysis that put Powers — despite far fewer snaps in the slot — as the most effective slot cover man in the league last year in terms of allowing receptions. Powers is in line, with Mathieu on the sideline, to be the slot corner alongside Peterson and Cromartie.

Powers did not have a fantastic season as Peterson’s fellow starting corner last year but he wasn’t bad either. He was exactly what the Cardinals expected from a veteran who didn’t break the bank. A healthy Cromartie would be an upgrade, but having Powers in reserve is smart. He was, after all, a starter for the sixth-ranked defense in the league. Finding a stud companion to Peterson long-term would be lovely but frankly, somewhat unrealistic. At some point sooner rather than later, Peterson is going to get a very, very large contract extension. Spending big money on both cornerback spots is difficult if not impossible for any team given the realities of the salary cap. The Cards could find a young guy in the draft who turns out to be very good and that might buy you a few years, but it also means forgoing a solid player at another position that might prove more necessary.

The saying goes that you can never have enough corners, and that generally is true. But after the Cromartie signing, the Cards are in pretty good shape, because Powers fits what they need.

Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “More Powers for Cardinals”

1. By All day on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

3 round mock- I will get lots of hate for going defense the first 3 rounds but imagine an already elite defense being that much better!

1st round: Calvin Pryor SS, we need a big safety on the back end and he could very well be it. He’s a physical safety who can ball

2nd round: Kyle Van Noy OLB, Chances of him being there aren’t great but never say never. I love the idea of getting a good edge guy with this pick and he fits the bill

3 round: Shane Skov ILB, not starting material as a rookie but could make a huge impact on special teams and runninn downs. Not great in coverage but could get better

2. By LadyBird04 on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

Powers in the slot was a good fit for him and the Cardinals both – as a true CB he just was overwhelmed especially being he got more thrown at him because PP was on the other side. With Cromartie opposite PP opposing QB’s have a tough choice to make. Powers won’t look as overwhelmed playing slot and therefore won’t be the fulcrum of as much negativity. Now, what do they do with him when Matthieu returns?

3. By AzDesertRat1953 on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

I think Powers will do better this year as will All the D.

Most of the Team will know what to do then be able to help teach the rooks and newbies.

GO CARDS!!!

4. By Big Ken on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

I think teams that run a 4-3 defense like Van Noy. Unless I missed something Coach Bowles runs the 3-4, fits our personnel.

5. By cardsalltheway on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

“in large part because the injury of Tyrann Mathieu makes him an early-season question mark.”

Think Greg Toller and/or Ryan Williams(who wasn’t suppose to have had as serious of an injury as an ACL). I’m just making it real peeps b/c I’m not expecting much out of T. Mathieu this year.

6. By cardsalltheway on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

Honey Badger says working his knee is boring. As someone who has torn my ACL and while I understand, he should realize not everyone gets to use the facilities he has access to(doesn’t he like music? Get an iPod dude). To relieve some of his boredom perhaps he should get off the stationary bicycle and ride a real one outside(along the Salt River or elsewhere?) I was on a road bicycle(racing type-with thin tires-many of you which have never ridden before and might almost fall off if you ever tried the first time) 2 weeks after my knee brace came off.

7. By ored on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

in line with my thoughts exactly,with peterson on one side,just keep solid DBs across from him,churn with free agents as necessary,that way we still keep somewhat cap flexible for other positions…ie: the day when we find a young dble digit sack backer,a young franchise QB,another CC or docket,floyds turn at a big contract,or a new budding star somewhere.just like paying larry too much of cap space,would be almost as bad doing the same for two CBs,i would much rather spread cap hit out somewhat in other positions,esp.ones that don’t require the amounts that recievers and CBs get.

8. By D on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

Someone like to tell me how Pryor, a 5-11 safety is going to cover 6’4-6’6 TE’s in the NFC West? I don’t get it, he isn’t even considered the best coverage safety in the draft, just a big hitter (wasn’t Bell considered a big hitter)…I just don’t see it if he is on the board. I would take a Pass Rusher or DE over him in Round 1 when the Cards can draft a 6’1 or bigger safety in Round 2 or 3.

K. Ealy
    R. Hageman
    S. Tuitt

The NFL is won in the trenches on both side of the ball.

9. By Coach K on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

D

I think it’s mistake to judge Pryor because he is two inches shorter than Bucannon or Dixon. Pryor has been compared to Troy Polamalu. That’s not a bad comparison. Bucannon is bigger but is no way as fluid as Pryor. That is why Pryor is graded so high. His hitting ability, fluidity, and leaping ability more than qualify him to cover tight ends. I sure as hell don’t want Kevin Minter covering them.

Of your three choices, I like Tuitt way better than Ealy or Hageman. Ealy will need to learn to play in a 3-4 style system and was not comfortable standing up and dropping in coverage. Hageman has some personal issues that may drop him into round two of a very deep tackle class. So of your three, I think Tuitt is a beast who was slowed by injury last season. Pre-season, he was ranked right behind Clowney.

There is a tremendous glut of great pass rushers in this draft that is at least 8 players deep. It all depends on who falls to us at #20 and who has the highest grade on Keim’s big board. Could be any position, including a QB.

10. By Coach K on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

Big Ken

I somewhat agree with you on Van Noy, but not completely. Yes, he is a better fit for a 4-3, but he does have good size. The question is, CAN HE HOLD THE EDGE? Is he physical enough to do that? We know he can rush the passer. There are at least 8 high quality pass rushers at OLB in this draft. If Van Noy is there at pick #52, I would feel terrible taking him. However, I would feel better taking a bigger, more physical pass rusher in Trent Murphy. Trent reminds me of a kid I coached many years ago named Hamilton Mee who played two years for ASU. We called him Ham Bone because he was just a chunk of solid beef. That is Murphy. Cock-strong Stud! He can hold the edge and rush the passer in beast mode.

11. By jason on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

D-

It’s called scheme, technique and athleticism. Did you know that Earl Thomas, TJ Ward, Devin McCourty and Jairus Byrd are 5’10 and Eric Weddle is 5’11? Do you know what they all have in common? They were all members of the All Pro 1st & 2nd teams last year. The other three players I didn’t mention were Antrel Rolle and Eric Berry @ 6′ and then Kam Chancellor who is 6’3. So out of the 8 best safeties in the NFL last year only one guy was over 6′ tall.

12. By Scott on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

-Deone Bucannon 6’1, 2nd round

13. By br on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

D —

Bravo!!! Bravo!!! Iam getting winded trying to convert people. I agree with you 110% right up until you mentioned OLB, DL instead. We need OL not defense with first pick, unless Martin/ND is gone!

14. By br on Apr 14, 2014 | Reply

Ladybird04
    Honey Badger can play both safety and corner, but if powers is doing well covering the slot HB will still be on he field as a Safety ( probably free safety)

15. By Big Ken on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

Mathieu goes 5’9″ 186lbs? and he’s turned out to be a pretty good player with the heart of a lion. If we stay put at 20, I think Pryor is the pick.

16. By cardsalltheway on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

Are there really at least 16 fools who are expecting a lot out of T. Mathieu this year? And I’m not surprised there are at least 24 people who don’t know how to ride a bicycle.

17. By D on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

A first round pick is a difference maker; ie QB, WR, CB, Pass Rusher or Left Tackle. It all depends like every year who is on the board with AZ’s number is up.

Six picks for the Cards for the needs is not enough, I could see a move down if possible.
    Needs
    RT, OLB, ILB, DE, SS, QB, WR

18. By Cactus jeff on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

I watched the videos of his rehab. Sorry to say Tyrann won’t be available 2014.

19. By jason on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

D-

For the record I’d take Ealy over Pryor…I was just trying to show that you don’t have to be over 6′ to be an effective safety. As a matter of fact if you look at the incoming safeties in this draft only two are over 6′ and have a top 100 ranking Clinton-Dix and Deone Bucannon who are both 6’1. I see Loston’s name all over this blog but he was measured at 5’11 at the combine so he’s the same size as Pryor.

I agree with your thought process about difference makers in the first round…but, that is really a top 10-15 philosophy for me. After the top 15 picks you start getting into questions like to you take the 3rd best rated player at a prime position or the #1 rated safety/guard/center?

20. By Coach K on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

D

I agree. I would love to see us trade down a few slots and pick up and extra second round and perhaps an extra fourth round pick in exchange. As deep as this draft is, I think we get at least 4 guys who can contribute as rookies.

21. By Tyrelle Dunn on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

I think some of you all are sleeping on Shazier. I would trade down to about 25-28 and pick him up along with a 2nd or 3rd. That is if Pryor is gone. If he isn’t than Pryor should be the pick and in the 2nd round, Jeremaih Attouchou wouldnt be a bad pick up or Trent Murphy who played OLB at Stanford. He is 6’6 and to have someone like that by the LOS, balls being deflected

22. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

Coach K,

Trading down a few spots is not going to give you an extra 2 and 4.

The trade to look at last year is the Falcons traded with the rams, coming up from 30th to 22nd.
    The rams got a third and a 6th pick.

At 20, dropping to say 26-30th will net us a third and maybe another late pick (6th or 7th)

23. By Coach K on Apr 17, 2014 | Reply

John

I’m greedy. I want more. It’s all about the art of the deal and who is the player they want, and how badly they want him.

I just hope the Cards can trade down a few spots, or even better out of the first round with a trade with Houston. That would give us a boatload of picks from them. Perhaps their entire 2 thru 5 picks leaving them with only round 6 and 7.

I’ve seen it before. Remember New Orleans and Mike Ditka and the Ricky Williams fiasco. That was extreme, but if someone wants someone bad enough, I say get as much as you can!

24. By Eazy E on Apr 18, 2014 | Reply

I like Powers a lot more than I did when we signed him. He’ll be a nice nickel corner!