Finding that future quarterback

Posted by Darren Urban on April 15, 2014 – 4:00 pm

The three quarterbacks of the Cardinals were at the facility today, doing a workout, hanging out and prepping for when the team can officially get started with new strength and conditioning coach Buddy Morris next week. Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton and Ryan Lindley, a cohesive group all last season, looked like it again and made me think of something Bruce Arians told me a couple of months ago. “You have a (quarterbacks) room, (and) if you have a starter and you know who the backup is and you have a third guy who fits in the room, you don’t fool with it,” Arians said. “It’s too delicate of a learning place to fool with it.”

In the context of what the Cardinals might do in the draft, it’s a notable belief. Palmer said today he would understand if the Cardinals picked a quarterback in the draft. He’s not getting any younger, and the Cards would like to have a long-term answer at the position. What team wouldn’t? Arians is a major part of the draft meetings and he of course will have input on the top 120 board. But GM Steve Keim will have the final call, and like any GM viewing the big picture — which Keim most certainly does — settling on a young quarterback would be nice, to say the least.

Is there a guy in this draft worth it? Keim might think so, but he won’t be saying, wisely. Draft meetings are going on about 25 feet from me but there’s no way to know what this group of QBs will be graded by this scouting staff and front office. One thing that is interesting in this situation: Palmer is going to be due an extension after this season, and there is a large difference between paying a starting quarterback what Palmer would command (he’s getting $9 million this season) and what a guy under a rookie contract would cost. I don’t think that’s a determining factor (I don’t think the Cardinals would have a problem with Palmer as 2015 starting QB, assuming his level of play remains solid) but it is something to consider.

QB3usethis

Tags: , , , , , ,

54 Responses to “Finding that future quarterback”

1. By D on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

I am glad Cards are not selecting in the top 10 like most years because I really think the top 3-4 Qb’s in this draft will not pan out that well. I don’t see the top guys getting to a M. Ryan level. Johnny M, Bridgewater, Carr and Bortles all look like Projects, kinda like Geno Smith….The only QB that fits BA’s requirements to be drafted in the first 3 rounds is Zach M. from LSU…

2. By jaime on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

palmer is great, he will thrive and set new standards the next two seasons of excellence at QB in the Cardinals org. I liked Palmer since his draft and it stunk that he never really had a team that can deliver what he can take, vice versa, until now!! GOOOOO Palmer!!!!

3. By Itsallinthecards on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

We’re really lucky to have a hard-working mature quarterback like Palmer. His comments in your other article show why he is a great leader. I hope he plays well this year and it’s nice to know that the Cards can truly take the highest rated player on their board. I’m sure glad I’m not a 49’ers fan right now with Aldon Smith, Kapernick, and others doing stupid stuff. It’s been nice that no cardinals have shown up in the headlines yet.

I’ve seen a lot of mocks lately that show Bridgewater and Manziel still on the board when the Cards pick him. If one of them is graded as the Best player available I think the cards take a QB in round 1, but I think they could really use a great safety to replace Yeremiah Bell, OLB to replace Abraham, DE to replace Docket, CB to replace Cromartie or wideout since Fitz could be done next year.

4. By Andy Kw on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

Palmer is my man, make us Cardinals’ fans proud.

5. By Scott H on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

I guess you can take whatever you want to take from the year Palmer had last year. He had a career high in passing yards and the most TD’s he’s had since 2009. Then again, he had a career high in INT’s and took 41 sacks. Fair to say that if the defense doesn’t play like it did, this was not going to be a 10-6 team because of Carson Palmer. Then again, he was better during the second half of the season…for what that ‘s worth. Bottom line? I’m just fine with him for now. I think he can only be better in his second year here. And a Carson Palmer who is better than he was last year would be sweet.

BUT he is not the long-term QB this team is going to need at some point. Soon. Maybe NOW. And if the organization feels that THE right guy for them is available in this draft, then they have to take him. Unless, of course, they are looking down the road to NEXT year’s draft but…how effectively can anyone really do that???

I appreciate Palmer’s attitude toward this situation. I would love to think he is getting ready to have that Kurt Warner late-career resurgence that will keep any other QB they have on the bench. Not impossible, but….Palmer just is not the GREAT QB that Warner was. But I DO think that Palmer would be an AWESOME tutor and example for a rookie to watch and learn from. So, with that said, it would seem ideal for the Cards to draft a QB while he is here and still playing at a high level.

Am hearing that Carr is thought of by some as the best pro-ready QB in this draft, and I do like the sound of that. Again, if they think THE right guy is coming out in this draft – and they will be in a reasonable position to draft him – then they have to take him. There are no guarantees, but…we also can’t just ride along with Palmer and then have no one ready to take the reins once that ride is over. We’ve already seen how THAT goes. No thanks, man. STILL having nightmares about a QB competition between Derek Anderson and Matt Leinart….

6. By T.Stone on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

Carr at the 20 pick. I got a gift card on it. If Palmer gets us to the Super bowl, do we think of him like we think of Warner? Don’t think so. Draft a man, teach a man, then let that man learn and take this franchise to the next level in 2 years. BA talks about his way, I am telling you he doesn’t want to be out of a job like Palmer in 2 years. Done deal.

7. By ored on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

likewise a believer in palmer,and BA has already shown everything he says is’nt necessarily so,i could see a late round pick this year or next to learn,maybe it’s time to be thinking to trade stanton for a pick,save us cap space and give him a chance to start somewhere.i’m interested in seeing what ryan has learned,i think he’s always had the physical tools,just needs refinement and reading the defense,etc.,it’s a head game for him i think,much like massie,if it clicks we’re probably set at those two spots.

if we see something from the olb position,something good i mean then finding a safety or playing a successful scheme,now that we have improved options at DB,we look pretty solid.another reciever for down the road,depth behind docket,keep churning and hope that washington has learned something and does’nt go “aldon”,and i think we’re in the mix,perennial powerhouse anyone?

8. By joe holst on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

please don’t draft someone who has a big arm but is erratic and think you can make him accurate. The Cards tried that with John Navarre, John Skelton and Derek Anderson and they were terrible. I think Derek Carr would be a nice addition.

9. By ored on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

everone has an opinion,mine being we either draft shazier and use his flexibility to play inside/outside and cover the tight end,trade up and get hix,the one safety with all the tools for ss,or trade down,gather more picks just draft bpa.i don’t think safety or ilb are critical positions of need,with just a little help,and we may already have that with cromartie,we can scheme that position,leaving us to finding more pass rushing as a position in question.too bad the 9ers won’t release aldon and we coulld fix his head…too much to ask for,i know,but if okafor shines bright and abraham keeps doing his mr.buttons age reversing thing,we should be ok.

10. By andystandsup on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

You forgot to show the yearly obligatory door photo, Darren.
    It enhances the draft intrigue angle.

11. By mal on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

Palmer showed us last year he is not only a very good QB but also durable. Durable is huge.

If he played 3 more years for the Cards, he would still be only 36 until late December of that final season.

If Carson could give us 3 more good years, then our QB of the future maybe just finished his sophomore year of college.

Right now I dont think Keim or BA are at all atressed about finding a future QB.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

Jamie,

I agree. I am a big supporter of Palmer and hope he plays 2-3 more years for us. No matter what we do in the draft, Palmer is our key to winning this year.

13. By wilyb on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

What about Drew Stanton? It seems like pretty much everyone has written him off. I wonder if Arians still has confidence in him…

14. By Ottis anderson Fan on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

This talk of drafting a QB drives me nuts. What QB in the 2014 draft is more pro-ready and more familiar with Arian’s system than Drew Stanton? Why recreate the wheel with any rookie without giving Stanton his due? BA was content with Stanton as his starter until polished pro Carson Plamer became available and Stanton has been learning and paying his dues as a young backup. This was the model for developing QBs in the NFL for decades. There is no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning footbal savants in this draft, and it makes no sense to waste a draft pick on a QB this year.

15. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

As for the QBs in the draft, here is what I see.

1. Blake Bortles = Big Ben Roethesberger (sp) – like Ben, Blake can use his feet to extend plays, is a big guy with a good arm. He would thrive with the Texans, who , like the steelers had Big Ben, have a run game and good defense.
    The cards would be lucky to have a shot at him.

2. Johnny Manziel = no comparison. Manziel on the field is unique. He can run, extend plays and scramble like no one else. On the field, he is very good. His issues are off the field.
    I dont see being a fit for cards

3. Teddy Bridgewater = A taller Russel Wilson. I read this from a scout and cant agree more. He comes from a pro style offense and can throw from the pocket and also on the move. Has leadership qualities. A poor pro day has everyone questioning him
    Not a fit for cards

4. Derek Carr = David Carr. lets face it, David was the number 1 pick for a reason. Derek has those same qualities but also the same faults. He throws off his back leg with pressure. If he doesnt have an oline, he will be gun shy just like his brother.
    Could fit for cards

5. AJ McCarrens – Matt Leinart , Tell me if you heard this before, a QB who has played in multiple championship games, on a loaded team, who was asked to be a game manager and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers. A QB with a good oline and great run game who play action passes, and finds wide open wrs. OK, remember Matty in 2006 with Denny Green’s west coast? He wasnt bad, but somewhere along the line, and a change in schemes, he flopped. AJ could be a game manager for someone like the Vikes and AP.
    Not a fit for cards

6. Jimmy Garoppolo = Andy Dalton. Neither has an elite arm. Neither can run like Bortles or Bridgewater, but the can anticipate the open wr and hit them. I think, like Dalton, he can get you to the playoffs and people will question if he is good enough to go all the way. He is not going to put the team on his shoulders, but he can do well with a good cast around him.
    Doesnt have the arm to fit for cards

7. Zach Mettenberger = Ryan Mallet / Joe Flacco. Two big armed pocket QBs who can make every throw and given time will pick you apart. With Zack, just like Mallet and Flacco, when protection breaks down, things dont go well. Zach gets brought down too easy on sacks (Manning like) but he will stand in and deliver the ball on a strike.
    Cards should consider him

8. Aaron Murrey = Dree Brees. I like this kid coming out of Georgia. I think he is a talented player. Lack of height and an injury will hurt his draft status but he can play.
    Cards should kick the tires on him.

9. Tom Savage = Brett Farve. I may be the only one to see Farve but in the tapes I watched, this guy is a gunslinger, who has bad footwork and throws from all kinds of angles but has a monster arm to get it there. He might be a little flaky since he went to Rutgers then Arizona sat out 2 years after going to Pitt.
    So a flaky, gunslinger with bad mechanics and a rocket arm and good feet to move says Brett Farve to me.
    Cards should look into him.

10. Logan Thomas = Jamarcus Russell. Why? Because he is loaded with talent, size and arm strength but really never showed it on a consistent basis. I heard some scouts say he has a lack of confidence, other say he is so inconsistent that he cant be fixed. Although physically gifted more than anyone in the draft, he is considered the 13th rated QB and anywhere from 5th to FA in the draft.

16. By Coach K on Apr 15, 2014 | Reply

D

I think you could add Bortles to B.A.’s list along with Zach M. Zach may have a slight arm advantage, but Bortles more intangibles and a higher ceiling. I personally think Bortles and Mettenberger are the two most pro ready QB’s in this draft and the first two that should be drafted. That’s just my personal belief based on their size and arm strength. The balance of the QB’s in my opinion are day two guys.

17. By Gary on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

For this draft I see Johnny Manziel as the best QB this draft has to offer. There is no elite guy like Andrew Luck. Manziel to me is a better version of Jake Plummer and that is good enough for me. I don’t see him getting out of the top ten so I would take a pass rusher like Dee Ford or Anthony Barr at 20. If Taylor Lewan slips or Aaron Donald is there I like them also. None of the safeties are good enough to be taken at 20 IMO.

18. By Big Ken on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

So to trade up for Bortles, I think of RGIII and Washington. And look what they ended up with.

19. By shooter28 on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

I don’t think GM Steve Keim draft a QB early , or in round 1 because none of these guys are pro-ready, they are all developmental QB prospects & Arizona has a playoff roster/team that can go far into the post-season if not win it all. Keim wants day one impact players in this draft. Guys that can contribute to the team. In round one I personally think we either draft a Safety or Pass Rusher. I think Keim is going to be looking for a RT as well , but this draft class is absolutely STACKED with OTs. They could draft a day one starter RT up into the 4th round , taking a guy like Juan James in round 4 who I really like as a RT.

As for taking a QB at 20th overall in round 1 , I just don’t see it happening. Despite being in a brand new complex offense , behind a horrible offensive line, Palmer was excellent last season. Carson Palmer was one of the most hit QBs in the league last year , one of the most pressured, and took 41 sacks . He was sacked n pressured more than Eli Manning was , but while Manning fell flat on his face , Palmer was excellent after he got the offense down , n developed timing with his WRs over the last 9 games of the season. Over those last 9 games of the season. Carson Palmer completed 66.9% of his pass’s ( 2nd in the NFL in the 2nd half of the season) averaged 281 passing yards per game, 8.2 AVG YDs/Per Attempt, 16TDs-8INTs , a very high 68.5QBR & a QB Passer Rating of 97.7!!! He finished ranked in the top 10 for the season in CMP Percentage 63.5%, Average Passing Yards Per Game 267, Passing Yards 4274, AVG YDs-Per Attempt 7.5, of QBs that started atleast 15 games or more , Palmer ranked 11th in Touchdown pass’s with 24 & he lead Arizona’s offense to a 12th overall ranking n 8th ranked passing offense all with the worst pass protecting O-line in the NFL.

With Arizona now having a far better offensive line next season , that will allow Palmer the time he needs to make his reads, go through his progressions n step up into the pocket n into his throws, I think Palmer is going to have a much better season this year. Especially with Palmer benefitting from being surrounded by top caliber high quality offensive weapons that include on of the NFLs best WR Duo’s in Fitz n Floyd with 3 good receiving TEs as well. This year their will be no offensive growing pains either , everyone knows it now but more importantly Palmer now knows it like the back of his hand. I think at minimum Carson Palmer will be the Cardinals starting QB for atleast 2 more seasons, but I do see them possibly taking a mid-round QB like Tom Savage or Zach Mettenberger in round 3 to sit behind Palmer and develop for the next 2 years so when their time comes they can hopefully smoothly transition into the offense as the #1 QB. I really hope we end up seeing Arizona draft Mettenberger , he is the prototypical QB & reminds of a Joe Flacco type QB . I actually wont be surprised if we see Arizona take Zach Mettenberger at 52nd overall in round 2 , just so Keim ensures Arizona gets him.

20. By All day on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

I personally think if we don’t have someone we really like at 20 we should pull the trigger on mettenberger don’t force a pick and get you QB sooner rather than later whn he’s gone.

21. By Azdesertrat1953 on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

The three QB sitting with Moore tells me that whatever QB comes along in the draft better be a 90 on his grade. What we have is much better than the rest of us know. Anyone think that BA would keep a QB that could not play?

GO CARDS!!!

22. By clssylssy on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

The Cards have more pressing needs than the QB position. Palmer has a handle on the offense and has developed a chemistry with the team, has demonstrated his ability to lead and come through in the crunch. He is tough and durable and understands that if the team wins, everybody wins and is not trying to hot dog it to look flashy and be the “it” boy of the media…the coaches seem satisfied and happy with him under center, and that is all the endorsement I need. I am quite certain if there was anything to raise questions as to his abilities Coach BA would not hesitate to bump him. We all want to win and Palmer has the map. Every QB throws interceptions and makes mistakes but the proof is in the recovery and Palmer has proved he can come back. That being said, I’m sure if the opportunity presents and there is somebody available at the right time, BA/Keim will take him if he is a golden opportunity for the future. I do see us focusing more on building depth in our defense, getting a good Safety, grabbing a good pass rusher, beefing up the offense with a TE that can block or 0-line depth, and another fast RB . I, am sick to death of mock drafts and am confident that their is a well thought out plan created over months by BA/Keim/Bidwill. It’s exciting to read that the Cards are back on track to getting the respect we deserve, but I never, ever underestimate the 9ers, Seahawks, or Rams or take their seemingly quiet offseason activity for granted. The real excitement will take place after the draft when Keim begins picking up talent cut by other teams!

23. By jason on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

I think your list has a lot of insight but Logan Thomas and JaMarcus Russell are way off. You have to remember that while Russell’s collegiate career was up and down he had a phenomenal junior year with 68% completion percentage and 28 touchdowns. If you’re going to compare Logan Thomas to someone why not Jake Locker? Athletically gifted QB’s who were thought to be future number one overall draft picks who weren’t able to live up to the projections and thought to lack accuracy and touch. The biggest difference between these two guys to me is that Locker played with Polk a 1400 yard rusher and Jermaine Kearse a 1000 yard receiver…both of who are in the NFL now, while Thomas played with Trey Edmunds at RB and Willie Byrn.

24. By Marcelof on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

I’m far, far, far away from being an expert, and am into this game for a couple of years only. The last and only 3 drafts I followed I could see talent, based on what critics said and by watching some videos, on two QBs only, and they are Luck and Newton.

They talk about every QB on the draft poiting their strengths but the translation to NFL level is something unpredictable…

Blame it, dislike it, but I can only see two QB’s on this draft worth the pick and the starting job and they are J. Manziel and A.J. McCarron.

Most are comparing Teddy to Wilson, but I see more of a RGIII on him.
    I’ve watched a lot of interviews and only A.J. has shown to be humble enough to succeed in NFL.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

jason,

My comparison with Thomas and Russell;

What I was saying is, they both have huge arms and are physically gifted. Russell went #1 because of his gifts but the raiders missed that the desire to be great isn’t there.

Logan Thomas is physically gifted. You even went so far as to say he should be the #1 pick if he played for LSU (interesting that Russell played for LSU).
    It was his talent around him that brought him down.
    But the knock on him is his inconsistency and desire.

I hope I am wrong. I have been wrong before. Maybe Thomas climbs into round 3 and plays behind a Brady or someone and learns to be a great QB. I hate to see people that talented fail.

But two things I want to point out; The great QBs make the talent around them better ala Tom Brady. Second, he showed he was inconsistent at the senior bowl from throw to throw. Just like his 3 years at college showed.

Now Brady, Romo, Warner, Hasselback, Bulger, to name a few were late or non drafted QBs who did pretty good. Again, only time will tell.

26. By Scott H on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

shooter 28

Well, think about it – how many QB’s coming out of the draft are “day one impact players?” Very, very few. If you are waiting on one of those…good luck to you. There is not an Andrew Luck or Peytom Manning available every year. Therefore, virtually ALL QB’s coming into the NFL via the draft are developmental prospects. All you can do is hope. BUT teams have to take a shot at some point because elite QB’s do not become free agents and there is not always a Kurt Warner ( or even a Carson Palmer ) lying around to save you. The 2010 – 2012 seasons should be all the proof we need of that.

I think we all know that Palmer is the guy for right now and he may very well have 2-3 very good years left in him. I REALLY hope he does! But where the QB position is concerned in the NFL, the future is always right now, unless you are fortunate enough to have Aaron Rodgers for the next 10 years. The Cardinals do not have that. So…let Palmer be the guy for next 2-3 years ( no guarantees there, either, by the way ) but get the guy who takes the reins from there on board now – IF he is there.

27. By mike egan on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

Some are making too big a deal about a QB. I had hoped the Cards could have gotten Palmer before Oakland (another whisenhunt blunder) did. Stanton is extremely capable of taken this team to the playoffs. Cutler went “1” pick after Leinart. One sucked the other is selfish When we pick at 20, all the so called elite players will be gone, and we’ll get a great player. Keim is good Arians is good, and so are the Cardinals. Look out league, here we come.

28. By mike egan on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

So called experts say Keim will take JOHNNY FOOTBALL at #20 if he is still there. Cardinal fans would rather loose than have a QB on the team who is the total opposite of Pat Tillman, and what he stood for as a player and a man. There have been mistakes made in the past, but that draft pick wont fly.

29. By iammattyoung on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

Man, what a can of worms. I have two big questions following Palmer’s interview:

1) What do his comments say about his confidence in Stanton or Lindley ever being starters? If he really thought one of those guys had starter chops, wouldn’t he have said that there’s no need to use a high draft pick on a QB?

2) If the future QB isn’t on the roster right now, it begs a big question about how the Cards will approach this draft: win now or hope for later? This team is at a point that they could compete in the playoffs if they fill immediate needs with their first three picks (safety, OLB/DE, and TE), then hope to hit on some other big picture needs with later picks (C, RT, WR, DT, CB). Unfortunately, starting QB isn’t one of those positions that is typically addressed effectively in the later rounds. That means, that they either sacrifice something by spending an early-round pick on a QB in order to be safer down the line, or they foresake the position altogether this year, and hope to hit it big with (hopefully) a late first-round pick next year.

30. By xBIGxMx on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

The Cards could still get a good 2 to 3 seasons out of Palmer. If we draft a QB and let Palmer mentor him that would be awesome. A good QB that would keep it positive and playing even if we have a plethora of turn over! (LOL! just a little joke right their!) As far as who we draft, I trust that Keim and BA did their homework and will draft what we need to help us succeed. GO CARDS!!!

31. By Chuck 1 on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

The picture highlights the importance of Tom Moore regarding the Cards’ QBs.

I’m sure that BA and Moore have had several conversations about the order of preference of QBs to put on the draft board since they have undoubtedly scrutinized the videos.

We fans should be comfortable with the one that they draft (if they do draft one) and Keim should defer to BA’s and Moore’s judgements.

32. By br on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

I’m amazed that most of the comments on here are very positive towards C. Palmer ( which they should be!) everyone, should say most everyone praising the year he had behind question marks on the offense especially oline and the comments about durability and he can play 3-4 more yrs, and yet everyone’s barking how we need SS, OLB,DLINE all these defensive picks in the draft. Sit back and imagine what Palmer could do for us if we made some high picks on the offensive side of the ball…specifically oline, right side is wide open at this time imagine Palmers #’s if we draftes an “anchor for the right side for the next decade. Throw in a btwn the tackles RB and another speed receiver and Palmer could have a league MVP year. I am having a difficult time comprehending all this “Palmer is the man if we can just give him time to throw and keep him healthy” but yet all the talk on the dfrat is defense with picks 1,2,3… then maybe a oline pick with 4 or5 then back to defense. Our defense is solid, easily top 10 if things jell, could finish top 5… even a possibility of Cardinals having the best defense in the league! Offense however…I believe if we dont build thru the draft this yr on offense, then we are bottom third in the league in rushing ( teams can key on Ellington as is, none of the other RB’s are going to scare anyone, ok so scare isnt the word i’m looking for no team or unit should be “scared” of a player at the nfl level, attention or respect would fit better, but i hope you all get the gist of what i’am trying to convey.

Poster’s also seem to be forgetting about Stanton, he was brought in by BA to be the starter ( if I’m not mistaken he was the first player BA brought in and it was within days of his hiring) He was given good money and was to be the starter…and if BA has faith and confidence in a player then that is good enough for me, he has earned every bit of the respect he has garnered, heck he had earned most of it while he was interim HC in Indy, well before his name was even brought up for Cardinals job…I think our QB of the near future (3-4yrs after CPis gone) may be sitting on our sideline already in D. Stanton. Of course they will continue to churn bottom of the roster, and use a late rd pick on someone who shows promise (ie…LOGAN THOMAS!! Which comparing hime to that, I wont even type the choice names I had lined up for Mr J. Russell…is a whole other response for another day!

33. By Big Ken on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

Draft a QB or not, I think we extend his deal making it $weeter for Carson and lowering his cap hit (thru 2015?). It would be a win win situation for everyone. Carson is the savvy cool headed veteran.

34. By Darren Urban on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

iammatt —

RE: Palmer comments

In terms of Palmer’s answer, I asked him how he felt about being backed by Keim and Arians publicly, and what it would mean if they drafted a QB. He answered. I don’t think he did anything wrong with what he said or didn’t say. I think regardless, Stanton or Lindley have never proven they could be a viable long-term answer for starter. You can debate whether they have gotten a fair chance to do so, but that doesn’t change the fact the Cards have an unknown at QB future beyond what Palmer gives them.

35. By Sackman on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

My crystal ball says the Cardinals don’t pick a QB until the 4th round and if then. Not a need yet. We have a good backup right now. It also predicts that we move down on 1 of the first 3 rounds of this draft. Any believers?

36. By br on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

JTDG

Where are you getting your ratings from? I have never read anywhere that had Logan Thomas so low in QB rankings, and I have to believe you are an intelligent guy who would read more than just one site for positional rankings. I have seen anywhere from #3 to #7 with the consensus at about #5 on the QB rankings, and with Bridgewater not doing drills at combine and having poor pro day he is starting to be exposed and is falling fast down both draft and rankins boards. I have followed Thomas closely watching him live in 4 games, ECU plays Va TECH every year so I had the opportunity to see him in Greenville NC and Blacksburg VA, admittedly Iam no “expert” or so called expert, Iam not employed as a scout or as a QB coach ( I was an assistant coach for 2yrs and a Head coach for 3yrs in the PWL!!! thats Pop Warner League :))
    And most important I did stay in a Holiday Inn express when I went to VA to see him play!! But in all seriousness, in my humble opinion, and this is only based on me being a super psychotic nut fan who reads scouting reports, draft prospectus and the internet with thousands of sites devoted to college football, as well as dvr’ing every possible game that college game day has to offer and going back and watching at least a game a night sometimes two…Whoever ends up drafting Logan Thomas will end up with the steal of the draft, he has a few flaws in his delivery that with a good coach (ie….BA!) can be fixed, as far as accuracy, he didnt get any help from any of his WR did you happen to “catch” the Alabama game, no pu intended but his WR’s didnt “catch” any passes either, none of them catch the ball with there hands they all try and use their bodies, and that continued all season, VA TECH has never had a 1,000 receiver! I say never and that may be exaggerated but I cant think of one and certainly not in the last 4 yrs, they may have had multiple 1,000 drop guys though!And please remember Thomas was a TE converted to QB only 4 yrs ago. As far as Mett, Murray, and McCaron all three are always surrounded with the best of the best 5 star recruits at not only skill positions but Oline as well, they, in my opinion are merely college football game managers NOT nfl quarterbacks. To end on a positive note, We do see eye to eye on one QB…Bortles is the real deal, far and away the #1 QB in the draft, I have been following him as well, being in the same Conference as ECU ( for a few yrs anyway) he impressed me from year one!!!

37. By ored on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

palmer should be good for 3 more years…BA said so.seriously,he was a previous #1 pick,had a good year under the same circumstances numerous others failed,was’nt injured in spite of high hit and sack count,it should only get better this year.we have the physical talent on the rt,side,just need them to grasp the scheme.anybody we draft on o-line will still be a rookie and will also displace someone else with experience,i think we need to let them play and use our picks elsewhere.

just treat the qb situation as set for the time being and don’t reach,rather make a move only if someone with real skills fell to us in the later rounds,otherwise keep our defense strong and refine the offense with speed.

38. By louis on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

we will be dead last in the division this year if we don’t daft a qb.

39. By Dr. G on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

clssy – Yep, these mocks are anywhere and everywhere. They are like ——– ugh, well everyone has one, and it is the best and refutes contradiction. For entertainments’ sake, it’s fun try to out-guess the guessers.

br- In 3 or 4 years, Stanton will be 34, 12 years older than a draft pick… and the Cards will still need to look for a QB. I would like to have a protege now to be ready for 2015-16 if needed, and then -2017-18-19-20-21-22 …. It has been said before that if Drew were a starter, he would have been one.

Notes? – Game manager, arm strength, off-field stuff, pro-ready… on and on….

Pro Ready – ambiguity that generally makes a QB pick a crap shoot… Few are ready… most are to be trained for the NFL. This draft may have just 1…

Frankly, any QB who is a GAME MGR is a step ahead of the others coming in. This is an ASSET, not a liability… and takes brains.

Arm strength – Every QB in the draft can throw the ball 60 yards. What is desirable is being able to apply the quick FROZEN ROPE in tight areas ((10-40 yds)) to prevent INT’s, not to have the 70 yard Hail Mary floater!

Everyone loved Warner – He possessed the necessary elements that made him a good QB…. probably in this order of importance: – 1. Brains/Logic, 2. Character, 3. Leadership… 4. He was average athletically when compared, but his determination to succeed was unmatched. 5. And he developed accuracy to thread the needle; being in the speedy Arena League certainly helped his delivery.

Many of these QB’s mentioned in this blog have some or most of these attributes, but success will only come for them with the FINAL ELEMENT…COACHING. A good staff can produce a good QB if they have the raw basic elements without bringing in baggage and drama… One of them awaits the Cards… Be well Cards Fans…..

40. By br on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

Going to throw a wrench in this draft a QB or not draft a QB We may want to look ahead a yr or two ( im sue SK & BAare doing the 2-3yr glimpse into the future thing, here are some names to ponder for QB’s in 2015:

J. WINSTON/FL STATE – hopefully Cards wont be drafting until the very last pick in 1st rd!! (Super Bowl Champs!!) As well hopefully we wont be picking high enough to have a prayer to draft Winston, but it is nice to dream!

M. MORIOTA/OREGON – see above!!

B. HUNDLEY/UCLA – not sure he fits in our system

MANNION/OREGON ST – believe arm strength is only? mark and he is still young if he keeps improving like he did last yr look out…kid will be real good

B. WALLACE/MISS – has goodd size and can make things happen with hs feet, 3rs in SEC passing yar

S. CARDEN/ECU – has a rocket for an arm, conference USA MVP, threw for over 3800 yds, 42 Tds. can also make things happen with his feet (10 rushing td’s) and get this…led allFBS with a 71% completion rate!!! (that is NOT a misprint!!) Please take some time to scout out this kid, he could be a real sleeper in next yrs draft! (Disclaimer: while I’m a huge Illinois Fighting Illini fan until the day I depart this earth, I have become an adopted Pirate fan of East Carolina U, since it is only a 45min drive to the stadium I get to see alot of ECU football, and of course the games are on local tv as well, but I assure you if you see this kids film you will be quite impressed as well…he has a very quick release and seems to read defenses with lighting speed! On a side note they have a WR ( Justin Hardy) who is one of the best in the nation.

41. By Sean on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

I find it funny how so many people can’t wait to replace Palmer. He could easily play another 4-6yrs. Payton & Brady are much older & will probably play another couple of years. When Warner came here no one wanted him, especially after his 1st year. We need a little patience, as I believe Palmer is going to have a monster year if he doesn’t get hurt & people are going to be begging him to stay….YES, the same people that are calling him washed up & trying to find his replacement. Others have correctly posted his 2nd half season #’s above, and I believe if he & the others around him stay healthy, look out as he will easily be in the top 5 (yes 5) QB’s in the league!

42. By Coach K on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

Palmer will throw for over 5000 yards this year behind this new revamped line. And I think the battle for right tackle will give us a decent player without drafting one, unless a great one falls to us, or we can grab Bitonio in round two.

43. By Dr. G on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

Pat Kirwin, a previous Cards employee, thinks Seattle will take TE Jace Amaro, and he will probably be there at 32… a disaster in the making for Arians, who is concerned about bad match-ups with an offensive giant receiver…. and Amaro is one of the very best….!!! Please, not in our division…. I’m still miffed on this…. Why don’t we try to produce the same problem…. The TE’s we have do not appear to be able to create consistent problems for our opponents ((according to BA))… blocking is primary! … later…

44. By TommyT on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

I have a feeling that a lot of what Arians says at times IS in fact a smoke screen. Keim like a smart GM stay quiet and surely Arians is not going to flat out say they are drafting a QB. If Keim really likes Carr or whoever, I’m sure Arians must not be in too much of disagreance. Arians himself stated in his presser when hired “if you draft for need your in trouble.” He then went on to say you take the best available talent whether or not is a QB…..etc. So we have a need at Safety yada yada. we’re not just going to mess around by taking a safety if Carr or whatever QB grades out higher at the number 1.

45. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 16, 2014 | Reply

br

Rankings of Logan Thomas;

He is 13th QB here and 258th ranked player saying 7th round or FA

He is ranked 10th here

He is ranked 11th here

Ranked 8th here

Ranked 13th here

Not rated in the top 10 here

Ranked 18th here

Ranked 9th here

Not sure what you are looking at but I think that is quite enough.

46. By Scott H on Apr 17, 2014 | Reply

Mike egan ( and others ) –

Stanton is “extremely capable of taking this team to the playoffs?” Um…maybe. And maybe not. But there is NO WAY anyone could say that for sure. I like having Stanton as a back-up but his resume to this point is quite limited. I don’t think I would be pounding my chest over Drew Stanton just yet. Is he a back-up we can feel good about? Yes, he is. Is he a guy who makes you say we don’t need to worry about a QB for the future because we have Drew Stanton? IMHO, no, I don’t think he is.

Bottom line, we just don’t know for sure what he is / is not.

47. By red bird of death! on Apr 17, 2014 | Reply

The guy did not convince me fully until about the Titans game, then after that I was sold and the guys a tough mother, less INTs this year is absolutely what he needs to make happen.

48. By jason on Apr 17, 2014 | Reply

Sean-

I agree with you that it is feasible that Carson can play another 4-6 years….but as I’m sure you’d agree the NFL is a year to year business and there is no guarantee that he can/will play that long. My thought about taking a QB to groom isn’t too replace Carson this year, or next, and depending on how Carson plays, the contract he draws and the progression of whomever we may draft would determine when we made a switch. I’d just like to have a guy that we like learning the offense now to we have a transition. I’m a fan of Carson and I defended him all last season when people were calling for him to be benched and I still believe he gives us the best opportunity to win.

49. By Dr. G on Apr 17, 2014 | Reply

Sean – I can recall no one this year who wants to replace Palmer. The need for the team is future continuity. That can come with the proper protege for Palmer and the coaches to groom.

br – Winston would indeed be the dream, huh? He may be Pro Ready!

JTDG – Agree, Logan Thomas will probably be an undrafted FA with his current ranking.

ScottH – Agree on the mystery – My bottom line – Let Lindley look for other opportunities and draft a QB that could make a difference… As for Stanton, I think he is comfortable with the clip board with the $$$$ he is making – He does not appear hungry to start…. at least there are no rumblings… Be well fans…

50. By Coach K on Apr 17, 2014 | Reply

br

I don’t think we want a guy like J. Winston on the Cardinals team. He’s lucky the police covered up for him in that rape case. When I listen to him, I just don’t think he will translate well with an NFL playbook.

Everyone has their favorite QB’s this year, and the two I really like are Bortles who really does remind me of Big Ben (I agree with John the draft guy on that), and Jimmy Garoppolo who reminds me of Kurt Warner. Those are my two favorite QB’s in this draft class.

I like the excitement Manziel brings, but I dislike him for the same reason. I personally think his style will get him injured way to much. In three years after numerous injuries, I see Johnny Football retiring due to concussions and eventually getting his own TV talk show.

51. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 17, 2014 | Reply

I follow the NFL not US College football. I recognize some of the names of potential draft picks but I really have not seen them play. I am happy with the three quarterbacks we have and I expect Palmer to be around for another two, three years so I would be disappointed if we drafted a quarterback this year because there is no real expectation of him playing any time soon. I do understand that Packers fans are very glad that Rodgers was drafted and allowed to apprentice for a few years before becoming the face of their franchise. That worked out very well for them. But I would rather draft players who can be expected to contribute now not later. That being said, are there any good quarterbacks still in college that we could look at for the 2015 draft when Palmer will perhaps be a bit closer to stepping aside and, if so, who are they?

52. By Coach K on Apr 18, 2014 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose

Next years quarterback crop will be as good, or better than this years. So we do not have to reach for a QB this year. Next year makes much more sense.

53. By Scott H on Apr 20, 2014 | Reply

Sean –

I don’t really hear anyone calling for Palmer to be replaced, so…not sure what you are reading. Palmer may play for another 4-6 years. But 2 things – that doesn’t mean he has another 4-6 good / great years left in him. And he probably isn’t playing another 4-6 years with the Arizona Cardinals.

Regardless of how many more years Palmer has in him and regardless of how many more years he plays here, the Cardinals have to think in terms of their future at QB right now. The fact that we are talking about their future at QB right now doesn’t mean that people think Palmer should be replaced.

54. By nighthawk2005 on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

Assuming Palmer’s level of play remains solid? Doesn’t something have to first become something to remain that something? You should have written, “assuming Palmer’s level of play becomes solid”, because it hasn’t reached that level yet.