Dockett’s disappointment with Dansby departure

Posted by Darren Urban on April 24, 2014 – 3:28 pm

Darnell Dockett was one of the guys who stayed on Karlos Dansby hard last offseason, trying to convince his former teammate — who had been cut by Miami — to return to Arizona. Dansby did, taking a cheap one-year deal, being happy to come back to the Cardinals, and making Dockett happy in the process. Then, after Dansby had by all accounts his best season as a pro, he was paid a lot of money to join the Cleveland Browns. It was significantly more that the Cardinals offered, on a longer contract. His departure was not a surprise, although some were disappointed Dansby didn’t remain with the team that is considered closer to a contender.

Wednesday, Dockett sure sounded like he was one of the disappointed ones. During a media session with a bunch of different questions, Dockett was asked about the changes in the defense and about “one big loss.” The reference was to Dansby, if not by name. Interestingly, Dockett talked about Dansby — but didn’t use Karlos’ name either.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for our guy that left, I love him like a brother but we were one or two peices away from making a lot of noise,” Dockett said. “But we are going to regroup. Our GM, coaches, owner will get someone to fill that role and we’ve got guys with enthusiasm of getting that opportunity for that role. They know they have big shoes to fill.

“I personally feel he chased the money versus a ring. That’s no knock on Cleveland, I’m not saying Cleveland doesn’t have a chance. Everyone has a chance, but I just felt like it was made for him to be here. The financial part, that’s totally different. I don’t know anything about that. But when you look at everything we have done this year, the sacrifice our defensive line made for that certain individual to make his plays and going to a game not being selfish. Our defensive line doesn’t care about sacks and tackles and stuff, we come to do a job to hold guys off linebackers so we can be the number one run defense. I just think that opportunity was here, to get into the playoffs and make a run for it.

“I’m not going to complain about spilled milk. I wish him well in Cleveland but at the end of the day we’ll see who is where at the end of the season.”

There is little question that this defense is built for linebackers to make plays, and Dansby and Daryl Washington showed that a lot of the season last year. There has already been plenty of discussion of Dansby’s departure and the likely replacement in Kevin Minter. But clearly, Dockett had been hoping Dansby would have returned.

DDKDuse

Tags: ,

58 Responses to “Dockett’s disappointment with Dansby departure”

1. By Coach K on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

I’m 100% in agreement with Dockett. Sure, money is great, but how can you put a value on winning a Superbowl with the team that drafted you, playing with your brothers who came in with you, and with an opportunity to go out a winner and have your name put on the ring of honor. Dansby took the money, but I think he lost much more in the long run.

2. By erik on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

If the Cards have a good season, I could see Dockett taking a pay cut. He knows he will not command big money anywhere else. Say what you want about Dockett, but he is loyal and you can tell he is passionate about the game and about winning.

A lot of people think he is gone after this season, but if the Cards remain a contender, my money is on him agreeing to a pay cut.

3. By erik on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

If his play doesn’t drop and the Cards want him back, that is.

4. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

I like Dockett’s honesty.

5. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

I just went to fanspeak and did a mock draft. It is interesting because guys dont always go where and when you think. It is pretty challenging if you havent done it.

My first draft, I took CJ Mosley in round two. Why? Because he was too good to be in round two. Here is my draft;
    S CALVIN PRYOR
    160
    CB PHILLIP GAINES
    RICE
    196
    G TRAI TURNER
    LSU

My second Draft was completely different. The board pushed up tackles so I grabbed Bitonio and Bortles fell.

OT JOEL BITONIO
    160
    S MARQUESTON HUFF
    WYOMING
    196
    DE BRENT URBAN
    VIRGINIA

Which would you prefer or do you dislike both? Give it a try.

6. By K-Dub on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

At least we got to see the “What if factor”. We got to see THAT tandem, and it worked beautifully.

7. By Chris Lewis on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

I agree with Dockett, and I think Dansby will end up regretting his decision to leave Arizona. I think Cleveland is on the rise but still not at the same talent level as Arizona. I thought when Dansby came back to Arizona last year, he was going to at least try and stay at least one more year with Arizona. Dansby’s all about the money, which is sad, because he could’ve had a chance at a ring, but we’ll be fine without him.

8. By wayne on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

John the draft guy
    The 1st draft you had was great, to get Pryor (safety) in the 1st round is a big need and if Mosley (ILB) could really be drafted in the 2nd round it would be a dream come true but we know Cardinals can’t get them both unless they make a trade because they’re both going in the 1st round. Sorry but didn’t like the 2nd draft you had.

9. By steve on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

There is very little in the way of “loyalty” nowadays in the NFL, while entertaining it is a cold ruthless business, a modern day gladiator sport. Most of these guys will suffer from a host of debilitating injuries far past their playing careers and many will die prematurely, thats a fact. While I am not happy that Dansby chose to take the $$$ over a possible championship, I certainly understand the rationale behind it.

10. By steve on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

JTDG, I sure hope your first mock falls in line with the real thing come May 8!

11. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

In my personal opinion, Dansby deserves everything he gets or rather doesn’t get. This is the second time he has left for the money and longer contract. The Cardinals will be in the playoffs and Dansby will be at home watching. Hey, but at least he got paid.

12. By georgiebird on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

Dockett shouldn’t be airing his negativity- the group on this blog can’t handle negativity, it’s funny they are backing Dockett.
    Fact of the matter is that Dansby’s demands were unreal and he deserved not to be brought back. I’m sure Dansby’s agent sensed a possible DWash suspension and went for a 4 year deal but Cleveland made it happen (PT Barnum proven right).
    Karlos must be the greatest player never to make the ProBowl.
    Cards have a tough enough task ahead-hope the loss of Dansby doesn’t become a “crutch”.
    Can Dockett become a “chip” in the draft ?

13. By Coach K on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

I want to add that in fairness to Dansby, I think he was stunned by the Cleveland offer and probably had no ability to consider his legacy and was stuck in the moment of a lifetime offer. I doubt he was able to think clearly.

14. By cardinal on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

love u #90…have worn your jersey every game day past 6 seasons !!!

15. By Rich on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

I love Dockett

16. By Dre on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

I’m with dd on this he should of stayed

17. By Jsoully on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

Does anybody notice that Bobby Massie is built during offseason workouts? Jeez this guy came in fit, I mean that’s a good sign that he is willing to put in the work. I hope he pans out.

18. By Lifetime Fan on Apr 24, 2014 | Reply

I think the contract length was a big deal for him, with Cleveland he has a much better chance of playing for 4 years as opposed to just two.

19. By andystandsup on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Just a honest question: Has Dockett ever restructured when most of his higher paid teammates have? And whether he was asked to or not is inconsequential, we have no idea on the team’s thoughts or background philosophies.
    Point is, if he had/was willing to change his contract numbers for a player not statistically matching up, the team could have possibly kept Dansby.

Yet, the kettle calls the pot black.

20. By Luke on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

It may just be me, Darren, but ILB is looking a very thin spot if Washington is suspended for a lengthy amount of time. I could see the Cards drafting an ILB. I know Alexander can switch into ILB and we have Minter to pick up where Dansby left, but I am quite worried about the lack of presence in the middle of that D if Wash isn’t there. What are your thoughts?

21. By mdcards4life on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

I really like Kevin Minter’s chances to step in and play at a high level. He is a thumper and can tackle at the line of scrimmage, i believe that’s his strength but his pass coverage is unknown that’s the only thing that worries me. he is very mature and having a season behind a vet will pay off this season.

22. By Dynosoar on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

John the Draft Guy, others,

ok, I’d like to give it a try. Other than the pundits mocks, where can I go to find a list of players eligible for the draft and there information? Never done this, but it could be fun (could be time consuming) and I have nothing scheduled next Saturday.

I found doing a fantasy team took a lot of time, I’ve done 4 and placed 2 of 16, 11 of 12, 8 of 8 and 4 of 16. I should become more consistent, but it was quite a ride.

Next step, join the mocks. Or at least try it. Thanks.

23. By h8tred1 on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Poor guy. You can really hear the passion in his words. He’s legitimately upset Dansby is gone. I wish he would of stuck around too. I know loyalty means a lot, but with as much punishment as this sport does to a players body, I can’t be mad at Dansby for taking a bigger paycheck somewhere else.

24. By Big Ken on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

At Dansby’s age he was looking for that last contract and he wanted to max it out. And he found the willing partner in Cleveland. I think the offer the Cardinals put on the table was fair and equitable. Cleveland is well Cleveland.

25. By Tim Fisher on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Next man up. That is why we drafted Kevin Minter in the 2nd round last year. It sucks that Dansby left but you really cant blame him. If he didnt preform well last year and got cut you wouldnt be upset with the front office, you would say its just business. It works the same way on both sides. This was his last chance to make a lot of big money and why wouldnt he do it. He has maybe 3 years left in the tank to play in the NFL but he has the rest of his life to live after football and he is making sure that he lives comfortably. he may have bailed on his teammates to do what is best for his family.

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Luke —

RE: ILB

I could see them taking a linebacker, yes.

27. By Dynosoar on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Will be interesting to see how Horton utilizes Dansby.

Also interesting to compare Dansby’s and Tillman’s approach to life and money and they’re last/latest contract choices (Dansby taking first Miami and noe Cleveland with Tillman choosing the Cardinals over the Rams and then the army over the Cardinals.)

Two very different approaches. This is not a judgement call, ya’ll can make that for yourselves. Just an observation. As I quoted a friend before “Never sacrifice principle for profit.” Then again, different people have different principle. Then again, Dansby is set to make in one year more than I’ll earn in an entire lifetime.

I’d like to say I’d take the Docket an Tillman approach and I can, because I’m not going to get an offer like Cleveland’s. After the last few articles, I’m activley looking for my Tillman jersey.

I wish Docket had been successful, but given Dansby’s “Big Splash” comments before Miami, this isn’t a surprise.

28. By Dynosoar on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

With the changes the Bengals have been making, the direction the Browns are heading, I think I’m going to enjoy watching some Steelers games this year. Love watching them lose almost as much as watching the Cowboys lose. Haha. Enjoy the weekend my friends.

29. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

JTDG….i don’t follow american college football so i can’t do any mock drafts. but it interests me that you like darren’s brother, brent urban. it interests me because, like me, urban is canadian. so i hope for him. from what i have read, he is a good athlete having played hockey and basketball and some tight end. he has already been drafted by the hamilton tiger-cats of the canadian football league but that is an option only if he cannot make an nfl team. why are you so keen to have him drafted by our cardinals and where do you see him fitting in our roster in the next two or three years?

30. By erik on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

-Andy,

Is Dockett supposed to just walk in to Keims office on his own and volunteer to give money back? That’s crazy. Dockett will restructure, you’ll see.

31. By MikeinMesa on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Dansby was right in going for the money. This is a business and the Cardinals lowballed him with their offer. Dockett if he was a real leader should keep his mouth shut and just wish him well. It cracks me up how fans and media are trying to cast Dockett as some great leader now.

32. By jason on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

andystandsup-

It wouldn’t have mattered, cap space wasn’t the reason we didn’t sign Dansby. Keim & Co, determined his value and offered him the contract that they felt he was worth.

33. By josh on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Careers in nfl are short. Guy could rupture an achilles tomorrow working out and never play again. He could get back to back.concussions and be done. You gotta get paid when opportunity is there. Screw this docket guy he should know that being in Nfl. And all you dansby haters, lets say u work at mcdonalds and you absolutely love it. Love the people you work for, love the company, but only make ten bucks an hour. Then burger king calls you and says hey we will give you $20 an hour. You are taking that job in a heartbeat. Dont hate cause dude got paid. There is no loyalty because teams show no loyalty to players. So why should players hedge their personal life against loyalty? Stupid

34. By JohnnyBluenose on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar….if you want to see how Ray Horton utilizes Karlos Dansby this year then the first thing that needs to happen is for the Browns to trade Dansby to Tennessee. Horton is Whiz’s defensive co-ordinator.

35. By mike on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Yeah dansby got of out arizona for more money. Hes getting older and arizona isnt winning a superbowl any time soon. At least not before he would retire anyway so whats the big deal. I think it was a good choice

36. By tony on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Why can’t ex teammates just wish each other the best of luck instead of giving back handed compliments to them and there new team. He got offered more money and longer stability (financially). Loyalty is a two way road. Plus everyone is acting like cardinals are guaranteed a super bowl.

37. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Dansby has always been greedy as when he left the Cards for a big contract with Miami, which resulted in him eventually being cut. In Cleveland he doesn’t have the personnel around him with the Cleveland to make him excel like he did the last year. My prediction Dansby will be watching the Cards go deep into the playoffs while sitting at home. Cleveland has no QB’s or Running backs = no offense. He mostly likely end up being cut to save Cap Space after 1 year there. Hopefully, if that happens the Cards won’t give him a third chance with the team…. I dopn’t blame Dockett for being uoset… Most Cards fans are too, as we all want a winner in Az and a trip to the Big Game….

38. By Coach K on Apr 25, 2014 | Reply

Tony

Thanks for the positive comments. I think there is a first time for everything. They said Arian’s could not turn around the Cardinals season. He did it. They said we could not beat Seattle at home. We did it. They say that no team has ever hosted it’s own Superbowl, and I’m betting… We will do it. This is a team of destiny and the pattern is clear. Every time they say we can’t, we do it!

Cardinals will host their own Superbowl. Take it to the bank. The pattern has been set.

39. By Eddie on Apr 26, 2014 | Reply

Having the opportunity to earn a big contract in the NFL is as much a part as winning in the NFL. They are both rare opportunities that you can’t take for granite. He still has a chance to win in Cleveland as well.

40. By brownout19 on Apr 26, 2014 | Reply

Sounds like somebody is jealous. Isn’t money what “professional” football is all about? And seriously, the Cardinals? 3 rd place in their division and somehow that’s supposed to be the player Mecca?

41. By jason on Apr 26, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-

I’d have to go with the first one simply because that is the one that is more believable. Blake Bortles at pick 84? He had to be suspected in a murder or mysteriously blow out both his ACL’s for him to drop like that. Have you ever used first-pick.com? I think it’s a more realistic simulator.

42. By LordNoga on Apr 26, 2014 | Reply

Arizona looked solid last season. However to say they are in a far better place and closer to a ring than Cleveland is ridiculous. The moves the browns made this offseason will get them to .500 or better. Browns are goin places, probably better shot than Cardinals. Carson Palmer isnt taking this team to the Super Bowl anytime soon either.

43. By LordNoga on Apr 26, 2014 | Reply

NJAz —

So Ben Tate and Dion Lewis is zero rbs? Last year they had no rbs. This yr Tate will rush for 1000yds and Lewis will be an excellent change of pace back as well. Hoyer will be a solid starter for us and could be a huge surprise. And we will also draft a qb for the future in this draft too. So shut your mouth. Browns are goin places, playoffs this yr, maybe even a division title if Dalton struggles with Cincy. Arizona is solid but Carson Palmer is not gonna bring them a Super Bowl. Sorry guys. Its Browns time, dont be mad because we stole Dansby from ya.

44. By Coach K on Apr 26, 2014 | Reply

April 26th mock draft update based on rumors heard Thursday at the big party.

Rd. 1- Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU

Rd. 2- Kareem Martin, DE, UNC

Rd. 3- Bruce Ellington, WR, So Car.

Rd. 4- Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor

Rd. 5- Max Bullough, ILB, Mich. St.

Rd. 6- Antone Exum, CB, Va. Tech.

45. By clssylssy on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

I agree with Dockett completely but Dansby going for the money wasn’t a big shock…more of a disappointment. On the other hand, I believe players should be rewarded for their merit and Dansby deserved better than Keim offered, whether it be in cash up front or length of contract. Fans wouldn’t be accepting either if they were not given a merit increase after working hard and producing the best work of their career. It’s on Keim if our defense is hurt because of his lack of foresight at the ILB position or of the strength of our “new defense” (easier for fans to blame the players than the engineers).
    This team has got great talent and the most experienced and wise coaching staff in the league, we have great leadership in the lockerroom and young players see a future in coming here. I do wish that the Cards front office would show our players a little more respect; in this business, as in most other, money talks and says to an employee, “You’ve done well and are valued” (The major successful franchises in the NFL like Denver, San Francisco, New York,
    Seattle, KC seem to have learned this “language lesson” which is a big reason they are the top dogs).

46. By slash714 on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

Tony —

Cleveland has put togather a solid team, so of he can go and make more money I think that’s a no brainer..

47. By Tom on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

Most FAs go for the money.I don’t know when Dockett will be up for a new contract,but I bet he goes for the money.

48. By clssylssy on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

@LordNoga
    The Browns could have the best players in the league but the franchise is so toxic
    that growth and development is arrested and unable to fourish. It takes more than players to win a Championship, first you must win a division and that takes a fully functioning organization from top to bottom. The Browns may have money to burn and draft picks out the wazoo but they have to know how to make good decisions which doesn’t seem to be happening!

49. By Joe on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

LOL at Arizona fans thinking they will ever have a chance at getting to the Super Bowl…

50. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

LordNoga… Keep dreaming troll. Cards have a better Front Office, Coaches and players. The Cards are in now the best conference in the NFC/NFL. Your betting the browns future on a Cards castoff QB…??? Dansby won’t be around all four years of his contract. The Cards were 10-6 last year what was the browns record…??? Get real….

51. By Scott H on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

I feel ya, Double D. I wanted to see him back again, too. I agree, he clearly chased the money in going to Cleveland. Just like he did a few years ago when he took off for Miami and the big money they offered. But, hey, we gotta see his side of it. too.

52. By Charles on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

It’s a business .. A ring don’t get you paid !!

53. By BootDaScarab on Apr 27, 2014 | Reply

Hypocrisy at its finest. Dockett would leave for more money too! These players are only loyal to themselves. Do yourselves a favor Cardinal fans, cheer for the team not the player. Like the great Ted DiBiase said, “everybody’s got a price.”

54. By Big Ken on Apr 28, 2014 | Reply

Coach- I like your latest except for Max Bullough. Didn’t he show up to the combine out of shape, didn’t look good?

55. By rogerisdead on Apr 28, 2014 | Reply

Well , the Cardinals are not winning a ring with Carson Palmer. And yeah he s 32 and will probably retire in 2 or 3 years and he’s never made Darrell Revis money. How can you blame the guy for leaving an average team to grab an extra 3 or 4 million? And the guy isnt a bone head if invested right he can live off of just that for 20 years. Even still in a year or 2 when the Cards do have an offense to match their defense the Browns will be in the playoffs too. Maybe even this year

56. By Troy on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

Hey Mike and Tony,

Leave. You should. How do you have the right to say what you want on this blog and no one else can??? Dansby was a great Cardinal, twice. He left for the money, twice. He didn’t want to stay or he would have. Right? That doesn’t give either of you the right to bash CARDS fans about things such as the Cards will win a Super Bowl immediately. Not 1 blog above says that we will win the Super Bowl.. Why would you two clowns even bring that up? Why can’t you just be a fan, or don’t be a fan. If you are a Cards fan, you sure the H#+% can’t tell it with those types of comments. I say let’s get cracking and see how well the TEAM has already been pulling together in work outs and see if this can carry over into the season…

GO CARDINALS!!! Fan since they were in St. Louis. Born and raised there. Followed them to AZ and to the Super Bowl in 08. Was there on the 50yd line. AWESOME game. Love my Big Red.

57. By Troy on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

Joe who??? You really are a hater. I find that this site had all Cards fans for the past few months. We get a really good season under our belts and we have all you tag-a-long trollers that decide to show up and make fun of a really good organization. Do you have anything else to do? We like hearing the good from the great Mr. Urban, who I think s great at keeping us informed, Thank You Very Much. Can you not stay on your own site and learn from it? Well, you should. Maybe your team doesn’t have a very good immediate future. I presume??? Just saying.

Go CARDINALS!!!

58. By Scott H on Apr 30, 2014 | Reply

Joe –

Heads up, loser – the Cardinals DID get to a SB just s few seasons ago. Played the HELL out of the Steelers and almost won the game. Way to have a clue, dude.