Thomas deal impacts Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on April 29, 2014 – 9:32 am

Seattle’s Earl Thomas is regarded by many (most?) as the best safety in the NFL right now. The Seahawks are now paying him like it, giving him an extension worth a reported $10 million average with more than $27 million guaranteed on his four extra years. This will impact the Cardinals, and in more than just Thomas-will-stick-around-the-NFC-West-and-be-a-pain type of way.

Shorter-term, the Seahawks have now cleared the way to also sign cornerback Richard Sherman to an extension. Given his position, he stands to make more than Thomas (although it’s arguable who is more valuable) and now both Sherman and the Seahawks know from where to start. Sherman has said this contract is about respect, although I am guessing he and Seattle will not have a hard time coming up with a deal that averages $11-to-$12M. And that’s where the Cardinals come in, because it will be the Sherman contract to which Patrick Peterson — who no doubt is awaiting his own extension — and the Cardinals will look when they start to negotiate. On one hand, Peterson was hurt being a first-round pick, because the Cardinals were able to exercise a player option for 2015 and delay talks if needed. Sherman, a fifth-round pick in 2011 long after Peterson was taken, had no such team option and the Seahawks are forced to deal with him right now. That said, Peterson’s 2015 option is worth more than $10 million, and after Sherman signs, his price should become more clear.

Peterson’s situation isn’t the only way this will resonate in Arizona, however. It’s also the first step in an evolving Seattle financial picture. Eventually, the team built in part because they had such key parts playing on cheap rookie deals (Thomas, Sherman, Russell Wilson, for example) will have to start paying those parts. Which means less money elsewhere. That isn’t to say the Seahawks can’t maneuver their way through it while winning big, but it again underscores the balancing act of sustaining a winner in the salary-capped NFL, and why rosters don’t and can’t stay the same long-term.

– For those asking, click here for some details on the upcoming draft party a week from Thursday, being held inside University of Phoenix Stadium.

EarlPicBlog

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Thomas deal impacts Cardinals”

1. By Dynosoar on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals uniform is light years better to look at than that dingy Yankee gray and neon green.

I watched the video on the Cardinals playoff chances and he has us at 11-5, with two losses to Seattle. Two?? I don’t think so. I’m seeing three wins this season against them, (or at least 2-1) the third game being in our stadium as they come in as a wild card and leave to pack up for the offseason. Haha.

Yup. I’m Dreamin Big!

2. By LadyBird04 on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

Not to denigrate the skill level of Thomas – but where will the salaries top out at? How can any team afford to put a team of good players on the field when everyone is getting 10M? I know the players will push for what the market will pay (see Dansby) but at a point it all falls apart. We’ve been put in the position where we’ve gotten very good players on a one year contract because they were over-priced; they came in for small $ and turned around and left the next year. We are again in that position with Cromartie. Even drafting really good players only works for 4-5 years and then they too want $10 plus million per year.

I’m obviously old-fashioned – I want to get to know players and root for a team – learn to like the players and see them grow and contribute.

If safeties are going to be getting $10m, how much will CBs, WRs, QB’s be getting and can any team afford to operate with that payroll?

3. By Andy Kw on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

All I can say is wow.
    But anyways for the Draft, lets hope we get more than 6 picks. I am hoping that the Arizona Cardinals trade down from their #20 pick to get two or three extra picks. I would suggest the Cardinals trade with the Washington Redskins or the New England Patriots because I think that by the time the draft gets to pick #20, there won’t be any stand out player that the Cardinals want that should be drafted that high.
    -Arizona Cardinals trade their #20 First Round Pick, for the Washington Redskins’ 2nd (34), 3rd (66) and 7th (217).
    or…
    -Arizona Cardinals trade their #20 First Round Pick, for the New England Patriots’ 1st (29) and 2nd (62).

I am not making anymore mock drafts but I just feel that this should be a thought the Cardinals’ organization considers.

4. By Mark on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

I cant see us losing to Seattle Twice either. I also don’t see the niners getting much better. I just want to beat San Francisco. We were so close last year and this year is BIRDGANG time. I feel like the cardinals are going to have a very memorable season

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar is a visionary.
    When we go 11-5, it will be against the toughest schedule in NFL … BA is the real deal, a real leader; not a reach at 11-5 even though its nose bleed territory for this franchise’s more recent history…

6. By Chad on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

Nice picture. Sure looks like the ugly jersey’d opposing teams secondary was once again using pass interference as a part of their tactics. No wonder they can demand such high salaries! They apparently get to foul without being called for it. Bitter? Hell yes.

7. By Dynosoar on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

Patrick Hoog aka Don’t Take Losses,

Heath Evans in the link for playoff picture has us at 11-5. Losses to Broncos, Seahawks, Falcons, Seahawks again and the 49ers.

Did you call me a visionary for quoting Heath Evans or for some other reason (have you been reading all my posts for the last long while?) Personally, I think Heath’s wrong.

We go 13-3 with losses to… well, 3 teams (Eagles, maybe one to Seattle, and I do agree with the Falcons for the third.) Now how’s that for visionary?

Is this the toughest schedule, wouldn’t Seattle and San Francisco having both been to the playoffs last year have tougher schedules? Well, not by much.

Haha, thanks for reading my Big Dreams.

8. By CreditCard on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

Pistol Pete did some goofy things at USC, lead them to years of probation — well the genius is doing it in Seattle. Leopard can’t change its’ spots.

9. By BirdGangBoss on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

I’m thinkin’ Big this time around. The Lombardi Trophy stays in Arizona next year. We’ll be the first team to keep it @ home. And I say that PROUDLY!!! #BirdGang

10. By heyyoucallhimdrjones on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

LadyBird04,

Average player salary at every position will increase over time. But the NFL will/should just increase the cap to adjust. The NFL is making more money than ever, and the owners are sure profiting. I have no problem with players getting their due, especially when they perform well.

I wonder how much income that Super Bowl brought to the Seahawks…

11. By steve on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

I’m just happy that Rod Graves is gone and that we finally have a real GM in Steve Keim running our drafts.

12. By Andy kw on Apr 29, 2014 | Reply

I think that Tony Jefferson has a lot of potential but I would prefer a bigger strong safety. If we dont draft Calvin Pryor or Deone Bucannon, then Jefferson should be our starter going into the 2014 season. I would rather see him in rotation with Rashad Johnson though.

13. By clssylssy on Apr 30, 2014 | Reply

It seems everyone has overlooked the fact that the Saints set the stage for Earl Thomas with the Jarius Byrd contract; when it all shakes out Thomas will be getting about $10M/year to Byrd’s $9M. It’s life in the NFL and the price for making the playoffs, it would appear. I do agree with Richard Sherman that raises are a sign of respect and reward for a job well done. The NFL and Owners make more money every year with network deals, merchandising and ever increasing ticket prices and look to make more with expanded playoffs and the eighteen game season that is all but a done deal. Is there something wrong with paying the people who do the work and put fans in the seats? I would much rather see my money go to the players that some trust fund baby who has inherited everything (pretty much the story for all the dynasty families).
    If we were picking up where we left off, I would scoff at the idea that we would lose at least one to Seattle and possibly one to the 9ers. I have never liked Pete Carroll since he left USC with a two-year ban on bowl games and the loss of thirty scholarships but his lack of integrity didn’t seem to bother Commissioner Goodell nor did Chip Kellys’, which is partly why victories over these birds is a victory for the integrity of the game.
    However the draft turns out, I am confident that BA/Keim have a plan for filling the holes and we can just move on to preparing for a tough schedule and reclaiming our division! GO CARDS! LET’S GET THIS PARTY STARTED BY PROTECTING THE NEST!

14. By erik on Apr 30, 2014 | Reply

I agree, Andy. The article on Jefferson was great. I can’t wait to see him get out there and surprise everyone.

15. By ored on Apr 30, 2014 | Reply

the irony of draft picks,the 49rs have,like a dozen picks this year and nowhere near the room on their roster for that many,look for them to trade into high positions for play makers and difference makers,they also have a couple of well respected players coming off injuries that sat out the year getting healthy,seattle gets percy for the entire year…even with the cards making improvements,it won’t be a walk in the park.