Cardinals take Bucannon in first round

Posted by Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 – 8:23 pm

The Cardinals traded back and then grabbed a safety with their first pick of the draft, nabbing Washington State strong safety Deone Bucannon. GM Steve Keim had a chance to take safety Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix at 20, but instead he sent the 20th overall pick to the Saints for the 27th choice, pulling in an extra third-rounder (91 overall) for the swap. GM Steve Keim had said he wanted to get more picks, and the Cards now will have seven selections in the draft. Keim even said he didn’t want to compare him to Adrian Wilson … but then said there were similarities. Wilson noticed too.

Bucannon fills a need for a young safety who can team with free safety Tyrann Mathieu in future years to solidify the secondary. At 6-foot-1 and 211 pounds, Bucannon can hit and joins the 6-foot-plus cornerbacks Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie for a pretty sizable secondary. He’s a big-time tackler who should help in run support, and he’s improved in pass coverage and he had 15 career interceptions as a four-year starter in college. Six of those came last season.

DeoneUSE

Tags: , ,

92 Responses to “Cardinals take Bucannon in first round”

1. By Blaine Phx on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Do you think Cards will dress OL in Round 2? Thought that was a much greater need

2. By Dr. G. on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Well, I don’t want to 2nd guess this Bucannon pick at 27…. but he was ranked 62 not long ago…. Obviously, Keim went for position need vs BPA when Carr and Ealy were on the board….

If Glennon shows up, I’m going to really be stunned. The Cards need a protege to Palmer…. Neither Stanton nor Lindley is a capable heir apparent… Good night….

3. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Blaine —

RE: Need

Not doing this for need.

4. By SteveG on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Dix had the name but I am going to believe thaT Keim had the draft board really close and worth the third round extra pick….

I trust keim and the Cards. have a plan and are executing it and that means seeing all the picks being made…

Tight ends will be less of an issue for the next few years (based on paper)….

Bring on tomorrow!

5. By Andy Kw on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Words cannot express how excited I am about this selection. I have been a big fan of Deone Bucannon for several months and my prediction that he would be our first pick came true. Now that we addressed our Safety concerns, we can move forward to other positions in the further rounds.

6. By Nick on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

Do you not feel like we should’ve addressed a quarterback spot? With Derek Carr sitting there do you feel like the need of strong safety was a little bit higher then what the head office felt we needed at quarterback?

7. By CN Punk on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Well i was planning to put the rationale for the reason I had my selections, but this draft has been nuts. So i won’t be doing that and will say that wile Bucannon wasn’t my first choice that i am extremely happy we were able to land an additional 3rd rounder and one of the best safeties in the draft. He will prove people wrong about his coverage skills and he is a known hitter. So kudos to our scouts/Gm!

8. By Adrian on May 8, 2014 | Reply

SS was a need, OL not a major need with Vahldeer and Cooper on left side.

9. By Kaleb on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I like him better than dix. I have always been nervous of bama kids, a lot of hype, little production.

10. By steve on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I never saw Bucannons name in any of the hundred 1st round mock drafts that I scoured on the internet yet after researching his draft grade and pluses on NFL.com, I like the pick. Sounds like almost another Adrian Wilson type SS. I hope we get a pass rusher and O-line and D-line help with our 3 picks in day 2!

11. By shannon robinson on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Nice trade Mr. Keim! That #91 selection is like a second round pick last year – you gave us an extra play maker. Thank you from the Cards Fanatics for giving us Adrian Wilson again – Bucannon is like a throwback – many bone jarring plays to come – I believe better in coverage than some think, another A-Dub, a signature safety that has characterized all our great teams.

12. By Robert on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Under the radar, but I can honestly say I like this pick. Safety was our biggest need. While we could use help at LB or at RT, we still have other ways to fill those needs. Good kid, good tackler, good size, and he’ll fit in with Mathieu. The Cards must’ve known something about this kid that they liked over Clinton Dix because we traded down to get him. The fact that we picked up a 3rd rounder while filling our biggest need is an added bonus. Go Cards!

13. By CN Punk on May 8, 2014 | Reply

-Blaine Phx

We draft “BPA” from OUR 120 board. So if OL is sitting atop our board tomorrow then yes, other wise don’t bet money on it.

14. By All day on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I really am not sure about this one. Could’ve taken Clinton-Dix. But instead take a 2nd round talent and get a 3rd round pick? I dunno that just doesn’t seem to smart

15. By br on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Wow im stunned, huge reach in my opinion, have to disagree this was a need pick…he is ranked highest that i have seen like #89 and you have the 2 dl from notre dame still there one, tuitt ranked as high as #10, plus the de from boise st, and i have been offensive advocate but any of those 3 defensive linemen would have been a much safer pick then we probably could have got Buchannon in 2nd maybe even 3rd!! Totally stunned! Hopefully this kids makes me eat large amounts of crow but i just dont see it. Heres hoping they can get solid picks the rest of the weekend! Not off to a good start in my humble opinion.

16. By LadyBird04 on May 8, 2014 | Reply

He is a great pick – if we were talking about the second round. What is wrong with Denard?

17. By Pete Dowdle on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Only time will tell whether the extra pick in the third round and the career of Ha-Ha Clinton Dix will mean the difference between passing on the higher-rated safety for Deone Bucannon, and so it is really too soon to say that this was in any way a bad move on the part of Keim and the Cardinals. They took a chance on another safety in last year’s draft and, well, we know how that’s turned out…

18. By Big Ken on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I thought he was going to be our second round pick.? Huh?

19. By krehbieo14 on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I like the way Keim made this move. Trading down and picking up Bucannon in the first round. A lanky hitter who will complement TM and our corners. Now we can go after more defensive help and maybe pick up a lineman and WR, ie.Ellington. Keim hits a home run again!

20. By infitzwetrust on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Great pick and a great trade down.

I like the fact that we got a 3rd rounder, not a 4th or 5th.

Interesting how Minnesota jumped in front of Houston to take a QB. If Houston is in the market to draft a QB at the top of the 2nd round, are they going to take a familiar bloodline and draft carr??? very interesting….

21. By Brandon Rodriquez on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I love this pick, addressing the need for a left tackle in free agency has given us the freedom in the draft so we don’t have to reach for players. Getting a good quality strong safety is something that definitely builds on our defense and can help against opposing Tight Ends which was a weakness exploited by other teams last year. Way to go Keim and Arians, way to go!

22. By Tbru on May 8, 2014 | Reply

The second coming of ADub, I can live with that.

23. By Donovan on May 8, 2014 | Reply

After reading up on his college stats I see this picture (up above) of number#27 NFL Draft pick, and can not help but to think we got Peterson’s clone!! Go Cards 2014!

24. By Hammy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Absolutely LOVE this pick! Big, physical safety that can hit and cover the tight ends. Has a great feel for the ball as well. Good pick Go Birdgang!

25. By Brns on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Funny since they went need in round one. Now answer the question!

26. By Colin on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Great Pick up! welcome to Arizona!!!

27. By ored on May 8, 2014 | Reply

we made great strides in free agency for o=line,not such a big need now.
    was surprised with the pick though,either they believe he will be a stud and/or we were much worse covering tight ends than anybody thought,once shazier was gone this makes sense,just never thought he was 1st round.

now we have another 3rd,lets get some pass rushing and d-line help,then another o-lineman and a reciever.

28. By Donovan on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I read most, if not all, of the analyst mock drafts and the only one I wanted to come true was that of Buccanon! Thank god we have a great GM, feeding fuel to fire!!

29. By Bill on May 8, 2014 | Reply

What happened the “take the best player available” strategy? Every scouting group had easily 15 players rated ahead of Bucannon.

30. By Gary on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Wow. We could have had Johnny Manziel. Instead we take a third round safety that isn’t as good as Jefferson as our first rounder. I sure hope the rest of our draft goes a lot better than this.

31. By Slider on May 8, 2014 | Reply

He kinda looks like Patrick Peterson. Yes, yes he does.

32. By eric c on May 8, 2014 | Reply

considering pryor,barr,shazier were all gone at 20…to trade back,get xtra pick and take a red-wood at safety,love it.

welcome deone……Go Getem Big Fella!

33. By grabling on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Bad move, the eagles get a better deal!

34. By grabling on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren, do you think Bucannon is a better player than Manzeil?

35. By AzDesertRat1953 on May 8, 2014 | Reply

This was a good pick. He sounds like a Team player and is hard hitter.

When AW takes notice everyone should listen.

Plus an extra pick, now seven total.

I say “Way to go Draft Team.”

GO CARDS!!!

36. By shane on May 8, 2014 | Reply

i really liked this pick! might have been a little early for him but he has a bigger up side then haha or Calvin Pryor. I think he made the cards secondary much better i think easily top 3 in the league…. And we got a third rounder out of it! i liked this alot ! hope the rest of the draft is this good!

37. By Ottis Anderson Fan on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Love the pick! I think we might have gotten a steal!

38. By Rich on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Love the xtra 3rd round pick. The safety is a big hitter / intimidator. Good 1st round for Cards. Day 2 should be fun with 3 picks !!!

39. By Rich on May 8, 2014 | Reply

The Niners did nothing in round 1. Couldn’t trade up, got the smallest safety out there. Good news !!!

40. By azfanforlife on May 8, 2014 | Reply

This did not look like the BPA to me

41. By Jason on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I’m really hoping there is a good pass rusher left in round 2 like an Ealy or Van Noy. There’s also a couple of good TE’s in Safarian-Jenkins and Amaro. Day 2 is going to be exciting!

42. By Bob on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Had to take Teddy after trading down and him still sitting there. Buchanon is good but would’ve been there in rd 2…or 3. Teddy was the pick. We blew it.

43. By chad on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I liked the pick…
    Great football player that was one of the best players available that they probably wanted at 20 and now got an extra pick in third round…
    I think S.Safty was a need too, not that i think we should or would draft for need over best available….
    GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!1

44. By BJ on May 8, 2014 | Reply

When can I purchase the jersey?

45. By Brad on May 8, 2014 | Reply

In my opinion a very weak trade, trading back 7 spots from pick 20 for just a late 3rd rounder, 91st overall? Eagles traded back just 4 spots from pick 22 and they got the 83rd overall! Bucannon an excellent Safety prospect, no doubt, but we should have got more for dropping 7 spots. Dix, Manziel, Ford and Denard all went in that zone. Also, once the trade was done, pick 27, with Derek Carr still on the board, I’m at a loss to figure out what type of numbers and pedigree does a QB need to be taken by the Cards in the late first round? Take a look at Aaron Rodgers, Carr would have been perfect to learn under Palmer, QB is the most important position on the field, it seems the Cards are scared to take a risk on one in the first since the Leinart choice, still haunting this team today. Taking Bucannon is best for this coming season, but Carr would have been the future.

46. By Dynosoar on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Interesting, I only recognized like 5 guys drafted in the first round that have been being talked about as first round picks in the mocks on this blog. Bucannon is a name I’ve seen many times.

I miss Adrian Wilson, would love to see him coaching with the Cardinals after he retires.

I like what Keim did. We got what many believe is a solid first round pick and an extra pick at that. We need to trade down a few more times and get a pick 6. (Although, third round is better.)

Looking forward to learning more about the newest addition to our team. I wonder how he feels playing for a team that is destined (can I go that far? Seattle did) to have the first home field advantage in the Super Bowl. It will be quite different than playing for WSU. (My parents are both WSU alumni.)

47. By Dynosoar on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Having the Hulk as Adrian’s avatar is a great way to return the favor, since the Hulk has Adrian Wilson as his avatar.

48. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Nick —

RE: QB

I don’t take a QB unless you believe he can be “that guy,” especially in the first round. Obviously, the guys who were left do not fit that bill. Ask the Titans with Locker and Vikings with Ponder about reaching for a QB.

49. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

grabling —

RE: Bucannon/Manziel

I can tell you two things:

1) I do not think Manziel will be a long-term success;

2) It doesn’t matter what I think, because obviously Keim and company think this was the move to make.

50. By steve on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren: If you had to guess, which positions do you think the Cards will address in day 2 of the draft?

51. By John The Draft Guy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

All along I have compared this guy to Adrian Wilson.

In today’s NFL, I viewed that as a negative. ADubs knock out shots were outlawed, Adrian was a great blitzer, but Bowles doesnt send his SS much, TEs like Davis and Cook can run and I am not sure he can cover them.

Obviously, Keim sees it differently. If you feel the cards needed a Adrian Wilson clone, you should be so happy right now. I am not in the meeting rooms and I am not hearing the plans our DC Bowles has for him. They obviously have a plan.

This guy can play around the LOS and make lots of plays. He can sit back in a zone and hit receivers crossing ala Kam Chanceller. He also had a ton of INTs.

As a cards fan, I hope he becomes an all pro safety.

52. By Lloydo82 on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Love the pick, with no pass rusher available S was the biggest need. This guy will help us against TEs which torched us last year. Welcome to the Nest

53. By Dynosoar on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Here’s what the Seattle website has to say about our picking Deon…

What It Means: The Cardinals add an extremely physical presence to their already talented secondary that features defensive backs Patrick Peterson, Antonio Cromartie, and Tyrann Mathieu. Bucannon brings needed depth to the safety position for the Cardinals and his punishing playstyle will make receivers think twice about working the middle of the field, much like the Seahawks’ Kam Chancellor.

Seahawks GM John Schneider’s Take: “He’s a great kid. He’s really, really tough. Very aggressive, great range. I wish they would have taken a punter.”

54. By BigAL on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Wow, Cards fans…Keim/Arians just did it again surprising us all…I too thought
    when we got to 20 & HaHa was still there, I thought Ok that works out…And then the trade was announced & we dropped back 7 places & picked up a 3rd Rnd
    pick that was needed since we only had 6 picks. I thought Ok they’re going Jimmy Ward…& then they pick this kid that actually fits in better w/our secondary & oh man is he a hitter! He is also bigger/taller than Ward/Ha Ha to cover some of the emerging TE’s in this league that was our weakness on D last year…
    Remember the Phili game???

Ie: Love the pick! Keim/Arians they do AII they’re homework!

PS. And then SF takes Jimmy Ward sooo We’ll See!

55. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Analysis

Now THIS is the kind of criticism that makes sense to me. A rational thought process.

56. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Day 2

It’ll be more BPA. But I won’t be surprised with a QB somewhere.

57. By cards62 on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Hello John the Draft Guy I was hoping to see your input. I have to admit I do not know anything about this guy, Deone Bucannon.
    What is your thinking, and who would you like to have seen us take?

Thanks as always for your input and go cards.
    I am hoping this guy will be an all pro for us, but like I said I do not know this player or his game.

58. By John The Draft Guy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Well I have been very vocal on my feeling about the guy. I kept saying dont pick him because he is a ADub clone. Keim took him because he is a Adub clone.

They are not blinded by what they are getting. They have a plan and feel he will fit.
    I didn’t see it but I also wasn’t sitting with Bowles in meeting rooms.

59. By BigAL on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Cards fans! Comparisons to Adrian Wilson are already coming in! ADub Are you kidding me! Woooow!

Meanwhile I have to state, the Rams were in a great position w/2 early picks at
    2 & 13 & I can’t believe Aaron Donald fell to them @ 13! If you like scoring…
    don’t watch the NFC West…If you like Defense! The NFC West Rocks!

60. By John The Draft Guy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

cards62

I preferred Ward or Brooks at Safety mainly because I think the NFL has evolved and I am not a big believer in the ADub type of safeties anymore. Obviously, the cards feel he does fit.

I am a huge fan of Demarcus Lawrence OLB from Boise. I was for the trade down and thought that was what they might do after dropping to 27.

Day two starts out with several QBs and QB needy teams. There are also several Olineman that will go in round two along with a few WRs.

At 52, the cards should look at;

D Law OLB
    A. Richardson OT
    Morgan Moses OT
    Stephan Tuitt DE
    J. Attaochu OLB
    D Carr? QB
    Maybe a deep sleeper Tom Savage? QB

61. By infitzwetrust on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Total class act on A-dubs part with that tweet.

It just feels full circle.

62. By Mike Ellingboe on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Andy KW,

Props to you. Granted, we did get burned out on your constant mock drafts, but at the end of the day you called it.

63. By CN Punk on May 9, 2014 | Reply

To those that are crying about our first round trade and selection:
    There is a reason Steve Keim and his staff are getting paid by the Cardinals organization and you all are sitting at home watching what they do. They know what they are doing, this is their life, Steve Keim started as a low level scout and worked his way up to our GM. When he was a kid his dream was to be our (let that sink in for a minute, OUR) GM and he achieved that dream because he is spectacular at spotting/identifying talent. So seriously, if he says Deone Bucannon was atop our 120 board at #20 and he was able to trade back and get anything, seriously anything, and still get the pick that he would have taken at #20 then I for one think he did a spectacular job. This kid not only fits our defense with his skill set, productivity and physical gifts, but he also is a leader, and the kind of football player that they have talked about wanting from day one. Not only did we get bigger and longer (6’1) like Keim said he wanted to do but Bucannon has played special teams both kick and punt return at WSU and was very good at it. So this kid just loves to play the game. In our defense he won’t be the only good player so as he is getting the proper coaching for his position to fix any holes in his game it will be easier for him to excel and show why he should have been rated as the #1 Safety in the draft wile laying the wood within the new NFL guidelines and collecting interceptions and pass break-ups because they will try testing him thinking he is the weak link, when in fact we just won’t have one this year.
    Now, on to round two!

64. By Big Ken on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Looking at his film/stats I think we have a good player which is why this draft takes place anyway. Now three players in day two, it’s going to get interesting.

65. By louis on May 9, 2014 | Reply

like i said you can’t trust this team they will let you down.

66. By Troy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Just, CONGRATULATIONS, young man. Welcome to the NEST!!! And to one of the most intimidating places to play in the entire NFL. You will enjoy and you will love being here. Best program in the West and maybe top 5-8 in the league. I have been a huge believer in the BIG SS. I have always felt that when someone can intimidate a receiver coming across the middle of the field, then he is doing his job. You are that man.

Everyone believe me when I say, Bucannon is the CARDS best, sleeper, filler position in years. BA and Keim are geniouses. Let’s go win “The Division”. I predict we will.

QB will come. Everybody chill. I would think that after what the past year has brought to us CARDS’ fans, that you would be believers. Stop questioning. Just sit back and see that we have a great organization and front office, now. This is going to get really good today. Palmer is going to be great this season. I feel it.

T-Roy

67. By Qais on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I know for sure this pick for db it’s little of reach but I will guarantee you if the card did pass on him in 1 round, he will be long gone by few picks later , plass he is top 2rounder and I always love him for the card to draft him in the 2 round but that be to hard to have him available , plass card got extra pick out of it , soon I see Ryan shwezer
    Picked at this point trade down for the card it will be prefct choise

68. By LadyBird04 on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Wilson’s tweet – shows he’s still a Cardinal. Miss you Adrian. Hope Buccanon can come close.

69. By Dave Chaney on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I was a little surprised when the Cards passed on Dix, but after reading several scouting reports on Bucannon I realized why. As has been written over and over, the Cards wanted to get a safety who could match up with the bigger tight ends popping up around the league and Bucannon is perfect for that role. He’s a “heavy hitter” who has a nose for the ball and loves to mix it up. Another overlooked bonus is the fact that by trading down and getting an extra 3rd round pick, the Cards will get 4 of the top 100 players drafted. Looks like Steve Keim/Bruce Arians are working some more magic in this draft.

70. By Canadian Redbird on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Got to admit that after the pick and the hush at the Card’s fan fest; it was a ” what the f….is going on ” however as the nfl experts quickly stated this guy is bigger, faster and hits harder than both Pryor & HaHa. Looking at hishighlight tape and his post selection interview, I think this is a great pick and will add to that ” tough defence mindset ” that the Cards are building. I liken him to Seattle’s safety and possibly Adrian Wilson when he controlled the middle of the field. Being a aptain for 3 years says something about the kid as well.. Good job Kiem & co.

71. By red c monster on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Ha Ha is a free safety, a position filled by Mathieu. Mike Mayock had him as 2-3 yr talent, but Mayock was a 2 yr NFL tight end with no scouting experience. ACTUAL scouting service Ourlads.com (free plug) rated Bucannon as the BEST Strong Safety and most physical and fastest safety in the draft. He was a 4 yr starter and 3 yr team captain. Ourlads actually mocked him to go to the Rams at #13. Honestly, I would have also loved to have grabbed Denard at 20,but I feel this pick is OUTSTANDING VALUE especially when we get an extra 3rd rounder in very deep draft. ADUB PART 2!!!!

72. By louis on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren you think the cards will draft a q.b.

73. By Cactus Jeff on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren Darren Darren
    I said safety ~5 months ago was Cards biggest need (i got roasted for it). You say this was NOT a NEED pick. UGH. Yep I’m the guy who said DRC was being traded to Eagles immediately after PP was drafted and you killed me over it. Then I said Dan Williams didn’t pass eye test and you killed me for it. Now I am saying this is the KING of need picks and of course you will kill me for it.

But the record stands, I am 2-0, you are 0-2. You are looking at being 0-3. DRC did get traded, Dan Williams has disappointed and this pick will become obvious that it was all about need.

74. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Feelings

Well, I have no problems with someone having issues with the pick. It’s not only expected — everyone thinks differently — but you could end up spot on.

But I do find it odd that so many times, (other) people on the outside are so sure they know better than the guys grinding away at such things. I agree that Wilson, in today’s NFL, would not do as well (same with a Rodney Harrison or some other high-profile strong safeties of recent past). Hopefully Bucannon’s game is enough of a hybrid. Certainly, guys like Kam Chancellor exist and still do OK.

75. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Louis —

RE: Draft QB

Sorry, I had to gather myself. I didn’t think you had it in you to post anything by a drive-by slam against someone or something.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up with a QB at some point. Friday seems the most likely day, given Arians’ comments about later round guys.

76. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Pick

Curious, then, who you would have taken?

77. By clssylssy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I actually like this pick but HATED that we traded our #20 to the Saints so they could make their offense even stronger…something that may come back to bite us when we meet them in the playoffs. It was kinda like handing an opportunity to the 9ers, Hawks or Rams! I’m probably the only one who looks where these young players are headed and what the implications might be for our schedule but I don’t think we really needed that extra pick as much as the Saints needed that receiver!
    Just say’n…was a good pick but believe you have to “play defense” in the draft as well as on game day. I’m also a big fan of Demarcus Lawrence from Boise and am hoping we can grab him up as well as a good blocking TE like CJ Fiedorowitz from Iowa. After all the hype, it seems even teams in desperate need of a QB, which we aren’t, weren’t in a race to grab up one of these QBs, which tells me that BA/Keim knew where their priorities were and would have taken somebody if they were our franchise QB of the future. If we take one later on, it’s always good to have depth and then the chips can fall where they may. The Cards are getting some notice and this division is gonna be tough!

78. By louis on May 9, 2014 | Reply

thank you darren.

79. By j on May 9, 2014 | Reply

great pick, feel bad for all the peeps who fallow mock drafts, lol, theyre not real!! Today was real and the cards got a real player, the sec is going to be freakish, look out!! Now for a DE, then some versatile players, No QBs, wait till nxt year…

80. By John The Draft Guy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Spot on;

I hope not, now that he is a cardinal. :)

As I said, If I was going to pick a player, one of the questions I would answer is “how does he fit on the team.”

This coaching staff has way too much experience not to do that with all 120 guys. They knew what Bucannon’s skill set is and how he fits. You have to believe they know how to use him and make him successful.

A good example was Shaughnessy last year. He is not a classic 3-4 OLB. But Bowles used him in a way so he would be successful.

Another example was Dockett. I see most traditional 3-4 defenses use their DLine to eat up blocks and allow the LBs to make the plays. Dockett’s style said he could not play this 3-4. Yet Bowles again did a twist, by penetrating the dline to disrupt and Dockett has his best year in the last 3 years.

Although Bucannon would not have been my pick, I know Bowles has a plan and I expect Bucannon to be successful. With Bowles track record, how could I not ?

81. By William Barry on May 9, 2014 | Reply

This is a GREAT pick for the Cardinals organization….He big 6’1″, a hard hitter, can make interceptions, can play special teams, loves to mix it up. and will have no problem covering the bigger WR’s and Tight ends!!!!! I saw his name on the Card’s blog, mentioned several times. I think Seattle likes this pick, and now they will have to contend with our great new secondary. I think this is a real sleeper pick of the draft…..and to get a 3rd rounder, too. Great job, BA and Steve. Another thing, he is a senior, polished, and comes from a great university. He is the type of player we need. He’s like the second coming of ADub. Dix is overrated. I think we made the steal of the draft here!!!!!GO CARDS !!!!! in today rounds. We could use OLB, and WR. Darren, any word if Ryan Swope will come back this year. ???

82. By Michael S on May 9, 2014 | Reply

A new A-Dubb!
    Dee-B

I didn’t like the pick last night but it’s growing on me.

83. By Shayawn on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Let me just say this. Everyone who talks about rankings and where buchannon was ranked, does not mean anything. Keim and BA have there own scouts, they said it them selves, they had buchannon in their top 20. They rank players based on their skills AND WHAT THEY WILL BRING TO THE TEAM. So overall are pointless if the team ranks them higher because he fit the scheme of things.

84. By Mike Ellingboe on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Cactus,

We run a base 3-4, and still had the #1 ranked rush defense in the league last year. Yet you consider Williams a disappointment? Please elaborate on that reasoning.

85. By Papa-t on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Dix is rated as being more of a free safety based on size. We filled a need while picking up a plug in solid player, a possible Cam Chancellor type. While gaining an extra draft pick in a deep draft – AWESOME!

Cards immediate needs include strong safety. Think of the loss to the Saints. We were eaten alive because of Graham. There are other needs. Watford was drafted as a project. We will see if he has grasped the mental part of the game. Give him half the year to gel with the line. We went deep on the O-line the last few years and in free agency. The next concerns should be the pass rush through OLB/DE, then QB, a possible body for the D-line for development, full time RB, TE then the O-line.
    If we can get Glennon ( if Arians thinks he’s acceptable) great.

86. By Mike Ellingboe on May 9, 2014 | Reply

@Brad,

They got the same deal Philadelphia got, an extra third. Not much you can do when the team you’re trading with chooses later in the same round than the one who traded afterwards.

Comparing Carr to Rodgers? Kind of a drastic difference in their pocket awareness to be linking them together.

87. By Cactus Jeff on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for asking. I like the pick, they need length in the secondary. The Cardinals are making a point to get longer and this pick, along with Cromartie, helps. Plus gaining a 3-round pick in the process, I am really impressed.

Moving forward I see them being very unpredictable going BAP.

88. By georgiebird on May 9, 2014 | Reply

As long as our #1pick wasn’t a linebacker, I’m ok with it. The Cardinals are brutal on high LB draft choices.

89. By georgiebird on May 9, 2014 | Reply

My thoughts on the #1 draft choice:
    1) Bucannon and a #3 was a very good outcome for Keim. NFC West is smash-mouth football and DB can hit.
    2) DB came from a team where he didn’t get a lot of help to build stats like the Alabama, Auburn and Fla St guys did.
    3) As a senior, he’s still about 22.
    4) He’s better than Pryor

What id DB’s date of birth? 8/30/92 or 1/4/92 have seen both

90. By georgiebird on May 9, 2014 | Reply

As I said – Bucannon was a good pick BUT- by passing on Manziel, Teddy and Carr BA & SK have opened themselves up to a lot of second guessing. If either of the 3 (assuming we don’t get Carr) make it to the Pro Bowl, it will become the legacy of both guys with the Cards- that is, if the fortune of the Cards should go south for the lack of a franchise QB.
    All and all, a ballsy move – hope it works out.

91. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: “Unpredictable”

I totally agree there. Between the BAP thoughts and not really knowing how they are rating these guys, I will not be surprised with being surprised.

92. By ored on May 9, 2014 | Reply

just looking at DBs taken,he would have never lasted til our 2nd pick,the play of todays nfl and our division especially made this pick a neccessity.