Notes after a first-round pick

Posted by Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 – 10:52 pm

Before I head home for the night, some notes to clean up with after the Cardinals took safety Deone Bucannon with their first-round pick:

– I can see, on various platforms of communication I have with fans, that some are upset (and some are very, very upset) with the fact the Cardinals didn’t take a quarterback. Folks, I feel I’ve made this pretty plain over the weeks (and I’m not the only one covering the team that did) that the Cards could consider a QB but it was going to have to be the right QB in their eyes. If the right guy wasn’t there, they weren’t gonna take him. Taking a QB you don’t believe in is a reach of the highest proportions. It’s what the Titans did with Jake Locker and the Vikings did with Christian Ponder. It’s a recipe for disaster.

I appreciate some of you believe so much in Manziel/Carr/Bridgewater. But it’s not like Steve Keim and his crew aren’t scouting these guys. I think they have a pretty good handle on what they think they should do.

– Speaking of Derek Carr, Bruce Arians actually addressed him specifically, when talking about how the hype of the draft provided skewed perspective for both fans and prospects.

“Sometimes people forget about the player (and his skills) and they start pairing players with teams and push and push and push and it doesn’t happen,” Arians said. “I felt terrible Derek Carr has been attached to us by some people. There he is sitting there on television when we are coming on the clock. That (pick) wasn’t going to happen.”

– Keim got his extra pick. The Cards have No. 52, 84 and 91 Friday. The Texans are first with No. 33.

– Did the Cards have players ranked higher than Bucannon? Of course. But those guys all came off the board by 20, and that’s when you look to trade back. It made sense.

– Arians and Keim both said Bucannon can cover tight ends. That would help a team that desperately needs to do a better job of that.

– You have to like that Bucannon talks about his “aggressive energy.” “I’m not afraid to go in there and stick my nose in anything or anybody,” he said. “It doesn’t matter how big you are, I’m coming downhill regardless.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

67 Responses to “Notes after a first-round pick”

1. By Dynosoar on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I’m thinking as a fencer here and looking at how I can out-play my opponent. At this point I look at what the Rams, 49ers and Seahawks did (or didn’t) do.

The Rams took a tackle and DT, they’re working to protect their QB and attack ours. So what do we need to do? Well, taking Bucannon, if he’s good enough and he appears he certainly could be, then we have someone to intercept a QB who has a little extra time from pass protection to throw the ball.

We also have a HUGE new LT who can handle a not so large DT (193lbs), so we don’t need to go OL for that pick. I think Safety was a better option to counter what the Rams did and neither of the other teams had picked yet, so we couldn’t yet counter their picks.

As I quoted in the last post, from the Seahawks website regarding our pick

Seahawks GM John Schneider’s Take: “He’s a great kid. He’s really, really tough. Very aggressive, great range. I wish they would have taken a punter.”

2. By Nick on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

I know this is a very unlikely situation but what are the chances that A-dub signs a 1 year deal and helps mentor Bucannon? I know it is very unlikely but I figure you would be the best to ask because you know Adrian pretty well.

3. By steve on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Great job Darren! get a good nights sleep and we all look forward to day 2!

4. By andrew on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I am a coug and a card fan. Deon is a nice addition for the team. We do need a qb of the future but reaching is always bad. Ask the redskins if they would rather have their picks back. I like carr in the second round or Aj mccaron. We in essence get two draft classes with all our injuries last year. Let’s get this year to playoffs.

5. By mike on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Does anybody remember when Pat Tillman scared thr heck out of Randy Moss? Made him not want to come across the middle and, in turn, made his arms really short. I think a couple penalties for hard hits is worth making WRs timid. Great fit for the secondary and Deone will make PP, Cro and Tyrann better than already are.

6. By vegas4u2012. on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Watched some tape on Deone..If we stayed at #20,would have picked Clinton-Dix..But this draft is so deep..to pick up another #3…& a solid safety..could prove to be a great move.For the true(CARDS..)football fans,this season is going to be exciting to experience…GO CARDS!!!

7. By Jerry on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Hey, you can’t make everybody happy. I’m no scout but I like who we picked up, I think Bucannon will fit perfect in our defence. I’m sure the staff knows what the hell they are doing more than the fans do. Us fans don’t meet with the prospect and interview them, we just see highlights of what makes them look good.

8. By blakeucla on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Great job with the trade and pick
    Personally think this is a good pick as this guy is a hitter , especially for our division.

9. By Brad on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Well it’s all too late now anyway, but at pick 27 to me Derek Carr was definitely not a reach, and it’s unfair to compare picking him at 27 to Locker (8th overall) and Ponder (12th overall), specially when the player they drafted was projected for the 2nd round at best, many will see that as Cards reaching for a need (safety), although I’m sure that’s not the case, sounds like they rate Bucannon very highly which is great as they were pretty spot on for Honey Badger, Ellington (and expecting big things from Cooper, still question marks on Minter, fingers crossed). I’m just going to look forward to seeing Bucannon knock some heads off, despite the flags that will get thrown, always loved ADub’s big hits. Still fingers crossed, in this QB class, that the Cards don’t keep under-rating that position, as there is a couple of development guys that could be big (Mettenberger, Savage, Thomas?). In the end I’ll have plenty of time to get frustrated about this selection if and when either Carr, Manziel or Bridgewater make it big, Cards obviously think none of those 3 will make it in the NFL, I just hope their right to save me some heart ache in the future.

10. By CN Punk on May 9, 2014 | Reply

To those that are crying about our first round trade and selection:
    There is a reason Steve Keim and his staff are getting paid by the Cardinals organization and you all are sitting at home watching what they do. They know what they are doing, this is their life, Steve Keim started as a low level scout and worked his way up to our GM. When he was a kid his dream was to be our (let that sink in for a minute, OUR) GM and he achieved that dream because he is spectacular at spotting/identifying talent. So seriously, if he says Deone Bucannon was atop our 120 board at #20 and he was able to trade back and get anything, seriously anything, and still get the pick that he would have taken at #20 then I for one think he did a spectacular job. This kid not only fits our defense with his skill set, productivity and physical gifts, but he also is a leader, and the kind of football player that they have talked about wanting from day one. Not only did we get bigger and longer (6’1) like Keim said he wanted to do but Bucannon has played special teams both kick and punt return at WSU and was very good at it. So this kid just loves to play the game. In our defense he won’t be the only good player so as he is getting the proper coaching for his position to fix any holes in his game it will be easier for him to excel and show why he should have been rated as the #1 Safety in the draft wile laying the wood within the new NFL guidelines and collecting interceptions and pass break-ups because they will try testing him thinking he is the weak link, when in fact we just won’t have one this year.
    Now, on to round two!

11. By cards4sb on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren
    I have read everything you guys have posted and then some. I agree with you whole heartedly. We need a quaterback, yes. But, Carson Palmer isn’t going to hurt us either. I believe that every QB in the first year of an Arians run offense has a high INT count but Palmer threw for more YDS last year than he ever did in his career. He should even be better this second year. I love the Bucannon pick. Safety was the most glaring need on the roster in my opinion and after last year I trust Keim and Arians. I am of the opinion also that even though Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have accomplished a lot more than that of Palmer in their respective careers, if they can still play at 38 and 37 yrs old then Palmer can still play at 35. Palmer has the best surrounding cast he has ever had as well. In this division…we needed that safety. Our QB will come in due time!!

12. By Andy Kw on May 9, 2014 | Reply

The Arizona Cardinals have a lot of options to choose from in Round 2. This would be my board for Round 2:
    These guys will do well in replacing OLB John Abraham.
    -DE/OLB: Kony Ealy, Missouri
    This is a guy that most Arizona Cardinals fans expected us to draft in Round 1.
    -OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech.
    He is a premier pass rusher and has good knowledge at the position.
    -DE Demarcus Lawrence, Boise St.
    -OLB Trent Murphy, Stanford
    He is a big OLB that do better at the LOLB position that could replace Matt Shaughnessy in the future once he gets into the rhythm of the game.

These guys could eventually replace DT Darnell Dockett:
    -NT Timmy Jernigan
    Many analysts saw him as a possible mid round pick in the First Round. But now that he is in the 2nd, will the Cardinals consider finding a replacement?
    -DT Ra’Shede Hageman
    Raw talent that could be a boom or bust pick. I’m not sure if he will fall to us or if he is a perfect fit for us but it definitely wouldn’t hurt to experiment with him.

Then you look at the other positions and wow, we can get some great talent:
    -CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska
    -QB Derek Carr, Fresno State
    -CB Keith McGill, Utah
    -QB AJ McCarron, Alabama
    -OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
    -TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame
    -TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech
    -TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Washington

13. By Louisville Card on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Seems like Terrell Suggs all over again…if you’re going to pick a safety why trade down when Clinton Dix is there? Keim is great at FA, but seems to stink at the draft…He only picks BPA rounds 5-7….This was an obvious reach because they need a safety….

14. By Brad on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Well said Darren!!!

15. By Cardinalmark on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I tried to make this sense on Facebook last night!! You are totally right, and have listened to what Arians and Keim have been telling people for weeks. Safety and Linebacker were priorities! Pryor and Barr were gone, trading down and getting an extra third round pick was terrific!! I knew they were going to pick Bucannon, who is a stud! He is a crushing hitter, with smart ball skills. Has the feet to run with tight ends, and running backs!! Does everyone remember how many tight ends where left wide open last year? Darren, thanks for your article of supporting the Cardinals, and why the team did what was best! Any QB drafted will be fourth on this roster.

16. By Troy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I Love this pick. You can compare to AD; you can’t compare to AD. Doesn’t matter. I believe we have to compete with this division. We winn our division. We win in the playoffs. Every game in the WEST is a playoff atmoshpere. Kind of like Kentucky hoops, the local stations delay broadcasts so that everyone in the mid-west can see the game. Well, with our secondary and our total D, they should do the same for us; CARDINALS… Everyone hang on to your shoulder straps. Deonne will produce like no other. SLEEPER in this draft. Wait and see.

Belive this when I say it. This man is going to be the “pick”…

17. By Dustin on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Buchanon was a player I was hoping the Crds were going to draft, just not in the 1st round. But to be honest, I hope Keim and his crew know more about this process than I do and if they deemed Buchanon a 1st round pick then have at it. The secondary could be special if Mathieu can come back healthy.

18. By dan on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I agree with you, Darren.
    I know a lot of people thought it was a gift from God that Johnny Football was there at 20. If Michael had been more greedy, more cynical, more calculating toward popularity and profit, he would have overruled Steve, and taken Manziel.
    But he didn’t. I doff my hat to Michael, who let Steve do his job.
    We came out of the first round with an excellent safety and an additional third round pick. Kudos to the whole organization for this coup de main.

19. By Steve W on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Strikes me as so funny that both media and fans can come down so hard on the Cards’ first round pick without having seen him play and mesh with the team. I think folks tend to forget that nearly all ‘true’ grades of these picks come only with hindsight.

Keim got another pick in a deep draft after all the players we really wanted were gone. And we got ourselves a first round pick at a position that the Cards really need help with. Is Bucannon going to be a Pro Bowler and really make the Cards secondary a defense to be feared around the league? Time will tell. But after what we all saw last season, I think that Keim and Arians know what they’re doing a LOT more than the fans and media looking in.

Anyway, hope the Cards find a good many more strong players today that shine bright this season. Go Cards!!!!

Steve

20. By LadyBird04 on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Someone asked Buccanon about playing with Peterson, Matthieu and Cromartie and he said he was going to try to earn their respect and then corrected himself and said hew WAS going to earn their respect. Hope he can fill the huge shoes left in the locker room by Wilson!

21. By Dave Chaney on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Great column Darren. Thanks again for giving us all the valuable insight you do on a continuous basis. I truly believe we have a gem in GM Steve Keim. Having been a fan of this team since 1960 (that’s not a typo), I have to say I have never seen them so committed to winning, from the top down, as they are now. As far as Bucannon is concerned, I think the Cards would have taken Calvin Pryor had he been available but since he was gone they targeted Bucannon and also managed to get an extra pick in the process. Good luck to the team in the rest of the draft. The QB search? There wasn’t one in this draft who fit Bruce Arians profile of a starting QB and would justify a #1 pick.

22. By Big Ken on May 9, 2014 | Reply

So stay at 20 and pick Ealy? We got a great player and an extra pick. For you Ealy fans he’s still available.

23. By Hminus on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Just like last draft,the areas of greatest need were addressed,the numbers from last years Defense were terrific…except our coverage of opposition TE’s,it was our weakest point & our most glaring need,trading back was great,we needed the extra pick in 3rd before the comp.picks start to dilute the talent pool.

24. By joe67 on May 9, 2014 | Reply

That was a good report Darren. I am trusting our group, at least for now. I think they have it together. Everyone must remember, you can’t hit a home run every time. I think this kid will be good. We are drafting at 20, not 7. Makes a difference.

25. By Eric G on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I like the pick, I trust that they had him rated higher than Ha Ha. I didn’t want Carr and I am glad they didn’t pick him, even more happy they didn’t take Manziel a.k.a. Leinart part II. Taking a tackle would have been a stretch too.

In reality, Bucannon looks like the right pick. We were absolutely torched last year by tight ends. If he is the fix to that, then I am all for it.

26. By eric c on May 9, 2014 | Reply

considering who fell off the board when the cards made their pick,i love bucannon.

has all the physical tools no doubt…its all up to him now.I think he’ll be solid for a long time.

27. By NJAzCardsFan on May 9, 2014 | Reply

This was a great pick that filled the need for a safety who could cover our opponents tigh ends. This was definitely a top need….

We’ll see in 2 yrs if the Browns fans are still jumping up and down about Manziel as well as the other fans who’s teams drafted a QB in the first round….

Have some patience guys and gals……

28. By wonderinwhy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Everybody needs to relax and trust that Keim knows what he is doing. If the wheels come off because of this pick after the season then you can bitch all you want. I honestly think we just got better. It is true that we need a QB but that will come, Carson is going to do fine with some protection that we got in FA. The word for today is RELAX, it will all work out the way it’s supposed to. Oh and I bet we could get Kolb back for cheap. :)

29. By clssylssy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

While watching the draft I was praying that we would go defense and would get a safety, but figured after all the who-ha on here about the Cards needing to take a QB and nobody was taking them (except Bortles who I liked a lot), BA’s statements about the QB class and his history of throwing up smokescreens, the Cards could very likely take a QB. I was thrilled that we didn’t. It makes no sense to me to take a QB in the first just to sit him and our need were elsewhere. Every team seems to be wanting to “beef up” and get faster and the linemen, safeties, and corners were going high. This is going to be a VERY tough year, everyone saw what the Seahawks did last season and were playing it accordingly (including the Rams!). Fans seem to forget that these QBs were playing in college systems specifically designed around them and their strengths and life is much different in the NFL. I think the best example of this was the USC scheme that produced Matt Leinert and then Matt Barkley just last year (where is he now?). If BA/Keim weren’t wow’d by anybody enough to go after them in the draft then they probably weren’t all that that got blown up by the analysts on papers. I believe that they have the experienced eyes to tell if a players is going to translate onto the NFL field or be a flash in the pan. I did not like trading our 20th pick with the Saints and see Shaziner fall to the Steelers or Clinton-Dix go to the Packers but this Bucannon kid was on my list of possibles and maybe that 3rd round pick will turn out to be another Honey Badger…LOL! Too much excitement! I’m ready to get on with the and hope we do as well as we did last year. I see on NFL.com where we were graded a B- so far!

30. By JoeC4Karura on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I wanted the Cards to take a big Safety to cover tight ends, but I wasn’t sure who it would be. I was never expecting us to take a QB because Palmer is working out so well in the last half of the season. I’m glad we traded down to get more picks later. Let’s face it, this team is ready to play. I feel sorry for Carr if his hopes were set on Arizona, but I think draftees shouldn’t pay much attention to the mock draft ‘attachments.’

31. By GWitt on May 9, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals filled a need. What more can you ask for??

32. By Rich on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Getting an extra 3rd rounder…..and a quality starter at a need position who “hits and fits”……..I’d say the first round was very successful !!!

33. By biggredbird76 on May 9, 2014 | Reply

There should not be 1 angry Red Bird fan. If you kept up with the team during the off-season you would already know that when BA has stated a million times I am not picking a QB for him to hold a clip board on the sideline. We lost Dansby and Washington’s suspension is up in the air. Keim has stated repeatedly that he wants to build and get better through the draft. For a team that had 1 of the best defenses in the NFL last year, a defensive pick should have been expected. I feel like I am the only Red Bird fan that saw a defensive pick coming. I am an AZ Cat fan so I have been watching this guy. He can play and fans r going to regret being mad.

We do not need a QB in the first might not see AZ pick one in the draft which I am fine with. There will be alot of free agents after the draft and that is one place where Keim and the scouting crew shined during the year. Palmer is the man and the offense is ready to go hard, lets get this D together and just take a deep breath. Plus u cannot teach 6’1 220 and he ran a 4.49, how can u not be excited about that. Dude had 113 tackles and 6 picks his final season at Wash State. That is a big safety and he has long arms. He is very powerful as well. Last safety that big drafted by AZ was A Dub and he turned out just fine. I am not sayin he is A Dub but give dude a chance. Just another weapon for Bowles.

34. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Nick —

RE: A-Dub

Wilson isn’t coming back.

I don’t think he was anyway and now that they took a safety in the first round, that door is closed. You aren’t cutting Mathieu/Jefferson/Rashad Johnson for him, and I don’t see them keeping five safeties (unless you want a body at first while Mathieu recovers).

35. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Clinton-Dix

Keim said they felt Bucannon was a better fit for them than Dix. Scheme-fit matters.

36. By biggredbird76 on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Buchannon is bigger stronger and faster than Dix

37. By JoeC4Karura on May 9, 2014 | Reply

RE: biggredbird

That’s right! Not 1 cards fan should be dissapointed. I’m a die-hard fan and I couldn’t be happier than I am right now with Deone!

38. By iain on May 9, 2014 | Reply

What is the process behind trading draft picks? I mean is there a system behind which picks are offered up in a trade.

Also do you think if safety Calvin Pryor was still available at 20 we would have taken him? Or still traded back to get Bucannon and an extra 3rd round pick.

Thanks,
    Iain

39. By joelhc on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I was a little suprised by this pick i think bucannon was a solid second rounder but i guess these guys liked him more. I trust Kiem and i know this will mostly be a good pick but i was really rooting for Clinton-Dix at 20. Now if we can get Jace Amaro or Jenkins next round i think out two biggest needs will be met with day 1 starter type talent.

40. By Big Ken on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Right Clinton-Dix still there at 20? I’d say Red Flag!

41. By Peterincanada on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Excellent job I’d say. Our biggest need was filled by a big hitter and we get an extra pick. I have more confidence in the front office than I do in the naysayers.

42. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Iain —

RE: Trade

Teams call each other all the time trying to trade up or back. These guys all have relationships. It just depends what each team wants to do at each pick and what players are available.

As for Pryor, I don’t know. Although he is smaller and it sure seems like the Cards wanted a bigger safety.

43. By jascon on May 9, 2014 | Reply

All of the media scouting reports, mock drafts and player rankings are not real. So you believe that Bucannon was a second round pick because the media did? Obviously Keim had him rated much higher so this shouldn’t be viewed as a reach or a need pick because he didn’t match up with what the media believed.

44. By Big Ken on May 9, 2014 | Reply

They got their bigger safety. The concern with this guy is that he’ll draw penalty for hitting too hard. (goose bumps) We got a good guy here.

45. By cardsalltheway on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Ha Ha & Honey Badger on the same team? Now I see why we didn’t take Ha Ha!!! I think the Rams should’ve taken Johnny Football, we can thank our lucky stars. But man, if Sanchez comes around for the Rams this year… oh oh!!

46. By D on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I liked it for a few reasons, one is that they grabbed another 3rd round pick. There was a run on Safety’s and it’s not a deep position in this draft and he wouldn’t have been there at 52, rest of the safeties available are projects. Since they have Cromartie who can cover TE, this secondary is deep and good once HoneyBadger is healthy.

I liked the kid over HA HA because D. Buc is bigger, faster and has his head on straight. SF needed a Safety, had the power with plenty of picks to move up for Dix and didn’t take him either, so I liked the move down.

IF Bortles didn’t drop to 20, then I didn’t want them taking a QB, so I was happy Johnny is not here.

I would look to move up in round 2 for Hageman, I think he will be a solid Pro but there are many teams in front of AZ’s pick who may take him. Another DE I like is Tuitt from ND.

They should be able to find a good RT by end of Round 3 if they want a new starter this year.

47. By William Barry on May 9, 2014 | Reply

This is a Great pick for the Cardinals at 27th, trading down, and getting a extra pick in the third round. What I like about our pick is that he is a hard hitter, aggressive, big at 6’1″, and will be able to cover WR and TE in our division. I think this is a sleeper pick of the draft, and I noticed his name on the Cardinal blog many times. Seattle’s GM, per the first blog, said he is very aggressive, and a good strong safety. Great job BA and Steve.

48. By Davemaham on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I couldn’t be happier with the first round. That boy can hit, and that’s exactly what we need. Something tells me this is not the year for a qb. Doesn’t need to be, we have Stanton and Lindley reserved for now, no reason why we can’t wait until next year, or take one in the later rounds. What are the chances the cards draft positions to match pick numbers. I mean:
    52-linebacker
    84-receiver
    91-defensive line

49. By erik on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I’m certainly no scout, but from the few videos I watched I did not see anything special out of Dix. I know some people are upset about Bucannon, but from the bit of video I saw he looks darn good. At the end of the day, we are not professional scouts and you gotta trust your team.

I cannot understand people who wanted a QB with that first pick. To me, that made the least amount of sense. Like Darren said, you don’t just pick one to pick one. You have to believe in the guy, and the Cardinals already do believe in someone; His name is Carson Palmer and even though he is older, he is ten times the QB any of these guys would be. A guy like Aaron Rodgers is not at all common. Just because a guy sits behind a veteran for a few years does not mean he is improving, often it seems the opposite. It would have been a wasted pick.

Keim says Bucannon was in their top 20, so I will believe him. The bummer is, we won’t know who is right and who is wrong for five more months :(

50. By Ron on May 9, 2014 | Reply

The draft last year and now are focusing on filling in needs with BPA at that position. It was clear that QB was not a need and may not for several years so the emphasis throughout the draft will be adding depth and impact players at need positions.
    The media is a joke they rate draft picks on their big board and if they rate someboy a 2nd rounder and he goes in the first then its a bad draft per sports writers, NONSENSE.

51. By Smack28 on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Darren, I cannot believe you are fielding negative comments regarding the QB position. If Carr is so much the “Real Deal”, why did so many teams pass on him including teams that are desperate for a starting QB? As for not selecting Manziel at number 20, the Cardinals could potentially land two day one starters (this is a very deep draft) for the price of one backup QB that does not even fit BA’s offensive scheme.

I cannot wait to see Bucannon blow up the first receiver running across the middle or picking a pass thrown to one of the many TEs in the league. If the Cardinals choose a QB in the next two rounds (maybe with that extra pick), what is your opinion of Savage or Mettenberger? I’m sure AP is calling BA pushing for the LSU QB – LOL!

52. By Mike G on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good! I think the Card’s made a solid pick with the safety. I think it fulfilled both need and talent. I like it that Keim is still sticking with his plan in making this team more physical. It was also swift of him to get that 3rd Rd pick in trading down. I thought it was a text book move by the GM. Hopefully they can continue making good moves over the next 2 days. I think they will continue to bring in big physical players to provide nice depth to the team. Ever since that 58-0 loss in Seattle—-I think the organization especially Keim took it personally to build a strong team that wont get pushed around. I hope they can find a couple diamonds in the rough ala Ellington and Taylor in the later rounds over the next 2 days. Hey Darren– I think the Card’s will be a good team in the upcoming season.
    I think they are improving as a unit and will be hungry especially being 10-6 and not making the playoffs. I think the coaching staff is good and will push these guys. Excluding injuries—The 3 biggest obstacles for the team I see:
    1—Difficult Playing in the best Division in Football(must improve division record)
    2—Palmer must still cut down his turnovers!
    3—-Replacement for Dansby(provided leadership and was a fit)—Minter???
    If the Card’s can overcome these 3 things they can challenge or win the NFC West. What do you think?????

53. By cardsalltheway on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Some projections for Round 2

33. Houston Texans — Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois:
    35. Cleveland Browns — Marqise Lee, WR, USC:
    37. Atlanta Falcons — Demarcus Lawrence, OLB, Boise State:
    38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State:
    44. St. Louis Rams — Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Florida State: Corner-safety hybrid would step right in for a defense which has its Achilles on the back end. Joyner is the kind of player who could have success counteracting the Percy Harvins of the world.
    45. Detroit Lions — Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri:
    46. Pittsburgh Steelers — Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame:
    47. Dallas Cowboys — Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State:
    48. Baltimore Ravens — Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State:
    49. New York Jets — Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech:
    50. Miami Dolphins — Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington:
    51. Chicago Bears — Ra’Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota:
    52. Arizona Cardinals — Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh:Good spot to get Bruce Arians the kind of gunslinger he prefers to train — one who’s smart with the hose to attack deep. Sitting behind Carson Palmer would be ideal for Savage’s development.
    53. Green Bay Packers — Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame:
    55. Cincinnati Bengals — Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State: At 6-3, 273 pounds, Crichton is built similarly to departed DE Michael Johnson, who was a valuable component of Cincinnati’s line depth. Like Johnson, Crichton could do some damage inside on passing downs.
    61. 49ers — Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU:
    62. New England Patriots — Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington: According to Tony Gonzalez, Seferian-Jenkins is the best all-around tight end prospect in the draft this year. He’s got a skill set that resembles Rob Gronkowski’s, which could be comforting to the offense in light of Gronk’s mounting injury issues.

54. By Rufus on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I am fine with the Cardinals pick and am glad they passed on a QB. Now they have three picks in the next two rounds to address OT, DE, TE and yes, QB.

55. By erik on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Also, while I really do hope Bucannon can help with covering TEs, it’s not like every time a TE is on the field the safety will automatically cover him one on one.
    Multiple guys will be asked to do it throughout a game, CBs, LBs, SSs, and FSs! And while it was a bummer that we had trouble covering most TEs last year, the fact is no one right now is able to cover the top guys in the league, that is why they are putting up WR numbers. I trust Bowles will figure something out, I’m sure he has been focused on that during the offseason.

56. By iammattyoung on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Reaaaaaally tough to defend the front office on passing on Clinton-Dix, Darqueze Dennard, and Dee Ford to take a guy who might have been there in the second round. Even if Buchanon isn’t there at #52, you have to think that the drop-off between him and the remaining safeties can’t be as steep as it will be between Ford and the remaining pass-rushers. In my opinion, this move is salvaged only if they can get a great pass-rusher at #52 (i.e. Attaochu) or land Sefarian-Jenkins, and then make HAAAAAAYYY with that extra third round pick. All that being said, I really do like Buchanon. The guy was the most athletic safety at the combine, and no safety put up better numbers than him last year: he had more interceptions and more tackles than either of the safeties drafted ahead of him, and did it in a division with some of the best QBs in college football.

57. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 9, 2014 | Reply

last night was excellent, tasty appetizer, tonite wil be the main course… lets eat!

58. By John The Draft Guy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Things I am looking forward to seeing tonight;

Will the Texans trade away pick 33 to the patriots for Mallet?

Day 2 could see as many as 15 wrs get drafted. Do the cards take one?

Carr, Garropolo, Savage, Mettenberger, Thomas, McCarren – Is the second round dominated by QB picks with Texans, Raiders, Bucs, Titans, Rams, Cowboys, Patriots, and yes even the cards considering the QB class.

With Nix, Jerringan, Hageman Tuitt, Ealy as projected 1st rounders who have fallen to the second round, how does the Dline play out.

D Law is the best pass rusher on the board, could he fall because of all the other players and needs. If he is taken, dont be surprised that the cards take Adrian Hubbard OLB at #91. Coach Buckner worked him out and came away impressed.

The cards may have a shot at a couple of good Oline man.

My prediction; (not my picks but what I think Keim will do)
    I want D Law but he will be gone. Tuitt is another longshot but possible.
    If they stay true to BPA, number 52 will not be sexy or a need.
    it will come down to;
    Joel Bitonio OT / G or Marcus Martin C /G

At 84 – I think they address what many fans are asking for with either Savage or Mettenberger
    Then 91 is Adrian Hubbard OLB

Just one guys guess.

59. By John The Draft Guy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

On a side note, more people watched the draft last night than the world series last year.

60. By Louisville Card on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I’m sure Dennis Green said the same thing…

61. By crdlvrsnc97 on May 9, 2014 | Reply

WE NEED A QB, WE NEED A QB, WE NEED A QB…..
    We don’t need a QB. Look at what we did last year 10-6 how many times in card hist have we been this good, and can only get better. When Warner took over at starting QB he didn’t take us to greatness his first year, but we got better and we made it to the SB. I’m not comparing Palmer to Warner, but we give him time he will be unbelievable, to where we have a really good shot at going to the SB at home, Like so many fans last night at first I didn’t know what to think of our first draft choice, but would have been really disappointed if we would have bought in to the hype that was Johnny Football. We don’t need another Lienart, Kolb, Skelton, Anderson, and soo on and sooo on, I am very happy with what we have and look forward to the other potential key ingredients to a SB caliber team

62. By Eric G on May 9, 2014 | Reply

@iammattyoung

“The guy was the most athletic safety at the combine, and no safety put up better numbers than him last year: he had more interceptions and more tackles than either of the safeties drafted ahead of him, and did it in a division with some of the best QBs in college football.”

So, with all that said, the Cards should have taken the less productive Ha Ha and Pryor? I don’t see the logic in that.
    Bucannon is better than both Ha Ha and Pryor and as far as I am concerned, the heck with what he is ranked and where we might have gotten him. Fact is, we got our guy and an extra third round pick. A+ first day IMO.

63. By BirdGang on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Not to mention we got an extra pick out of it.

64. By BirdsSTC on May 9, 2014 | Reply

This guy even looks like A-Dub… Just sayin

65. By Kevin S Mesa on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Yes, we will need a successor QB to Palmer at some point. But he’s the guy for at least next year if not longer. There are teams with much bigger QB problems than ours that allowed Manziel to slip to late-1st round and Bridgewater to slip to the last pick of the round.

That doesn’t mean one (or both) guys couldn’t end up having successful NFL careers, but it’s not like we’re the only team that passed on these guys.

The draft isn’t just about the positions where guys put up fantasy football numbers.

66. By Dr. G. on May 9, 2014 | Reply

“T H E C A N N O N !”

How does picking Bucannon not help the Cards? I was schmoozed into believing that BPA was the operating system… Getting this young man addresses a serious need, regardless if he is the best SS available.

His named is also has the non-standard spelling with “CANNON” in there. My nick name will be ” THE CANNON” because from what I read, he can handle the TE’s and also help stop the run…. H’e gonna love our defense…doesn’t need to be the hero.

Understandably, Fans have their “druthers,” but addressing needs is a good thing. Next we get DE and a LB in the next few rounds. I’m still thinking Keim has a QB possibly later…not sure I should mention Glennon…. Good day, Cards Fans…

67. By ored on May 9, 2014 | Reply

dang steelers,i think shazier would have been our pick,but i’m ok with the xtra pick and buchanan,this just puts emphasis on how bad we were last year covering TEs,now with cro and the draft our D should be much better,pour gas on the fire,i’d say so,now if we get more d-line and edge rush help we should be gelling like magellan.