On the clock, the Cards have choices

Posted by Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 – 10:42 am

It’s draft day. The final mock drafts of hundreds have been filed and there is still a lot of intrigue. It gets even more interesting with the Cardinals selecting at 20. A deep draft and flexibility given the current roster will give plenty of room for speculation all the way up to the pick. As the draft comes closer, it seems more and more people expect a quarterback at 20. Something Bruce Arians said last week resonates, about how a rebuilding team can’t afford to pick a QB early and let him sit — but a team that isn’t rebuilding could. Clearly, the Cards aren’t rebuilding — Arians even said he doesn’t like to use the word — so that leaves open the door for a QB. Carson Palmer doesn’t have a problem with a QB pick, and for the right guy, I don’t think the Cards will either.

That said, Steve Keim has his own thought process. I don’t think Keim/the Cards like a ton of QBs, not in the first round. But I think there are one or two. Is it Derek Carr or Blake Bortles, the guys who have become the chic mock picks? To me, Bortles makes a lot more sense than Carr, but what would be the chances Bortles falls all the way to 20? That too seems a long shot. People want to talk about dropping QBs but in the end, QBs rarely drop. Especially if they have a decent chance to be special.

Keim too said something that sticks with me, the idea of being patient because there are usually unexpected players that could drop. Maybe that means someone who has been universally expected to go top 10 or 12 — I saw one mock with tight end Eric Ebron dropping into the 20s. Keim definitely is a fan of linebacker Ryan Shazier, who could be there and who makes a lot of sense in this defense. An interesting name is pass rusher Anthony Barr — another guy expected to go before 20, but you never know.

Regardless, Keim’s confidence in his staff’s draft process is obvious when he talks about it. The belief is that the first-round pick, whoever it is, will be the right one. And in the end, you don’t know exactly who you have even after the draft anyway. Players are chosen, and you have to wait a little while to find out exactly what you have.

TillmandraftcardBLOG

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

34 Responses to “On the clock, the Cards have choices”

1. By hummer53 on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I personally don’t understand the Shazier interest if what he said earlier, he wants to get “longer” in that position to cover TE’s,passing lanes. Shazier is 6’1′. I think he’s a young version of John Abraham. The 20th pick for a situation player? No thanks. Personally I would tray to trade down a few picks and grab Trent Murphy out of Stanford and pick up an additional late round pick.

2. By Chase Penman on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

Thanks for posting that picture of the compensatory picture for Pat. It is really cool to see that. I appreciated all of his 10 year reunion media exposure this year as well. I shipped out with Pat and his brother from Phoenix MEPS downtown in 2002. We all signed and did our final swear in together for the US Army. That was the first time I met Pat and his brother and I have to say he was a really cool guy. I remember being a skinny 18 year old kid and when he passed me the first time, I thought he had the biggest calves I had ever seen. I wish he would have made it back as I did. He was in Afghan the same time I ended up in Iraq but I guess I am the lucky one. Anyway, thanks for the memories!

3. By Dr. G. on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Loving this draft document… I don the Tillman jersey frequently.

I’m thinking that the combination of the Card’s first 3 picks will combine to solidify our team. Any picks after that to include FA will be the icing on our Superbowl Cake…

4. By ralph on May 8, 2014 | Reply

What is the reasoning behind drafting a QB?

5. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Ralph —

RE: QB

You mean besides needing one for the long term?

6. By Eric G on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Thanks for the pic Darren, that was one hell of an American Hero/compensatory pick.

As for the QB talk, I’d be ecstatic if Bortles somehow fell to us, but I just don’t see that happening. I can’t see the Cards drafting Carr though, that would be a stretch at that pick IMO, although I wouldn’t be upset about it either. We all know we need a future QB. If Keim and Arians thinks he is the guy, I’m more than fine with that thought.

It’s odd being a Cards fan and having to wait so long for the Cards to pick in the first round. I remember the days when you only had to watch no more than the first 90 minutes and the Cards would be done. I like having to wait.

7. By T. Stone on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Ralph –

RE: QB

A free lunch for Darren.

8. By mal on May 8, 2014 | Reply

This is the last round-up for the old guys BA and Carson Palmer. Coach said it himself.

In December of 2017 Carson Palmer will still be only 36 years old. If he stays healthy, he can give us 3 more good seasons. He’s proven he’s durable.

I think all the Cards brass feels like this team can get them to the SB, if not this year then in the next 2 or 3 years. A rookie QB sitting on the bench doesnt help this team get there, or win it, but another good key selection in the draft could be the difference (like if Barr fell to us!).

I think they draft to help this team win now. I dont think they take a QB at 20.

9. By jeffgollin on May 8, 2014 | Reply

What’s wrong with Shazier being a younger version of John Abraham?

At a key impact position where (a) need the depth, and (b) Abraham isn’t getting any younger, Shazier fits the bill. Plus – he has the athletic chops to expand that role to include a wide array of ways he can help the defense. His only knocks – he’s only 6-1 and weighs slightly under 240 lbs.

Bottom line – Shazier’s minor negatives are far outweighed by a whole bunch of positives.

10. By John The Draft Guy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Lots of buzz regarding Derek Carr to AZ.

Any insider info Darren

11. By BirdsSTC on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Oh lord please let Barr drop to us. This guy is going to be a dominant force in the league, plus I fell like he would fit like a glove on our D.

12. By wilyb on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Hummer53, no disrespect intended – Ryan Shazier had a 42-inch vertical jump and ran a sub-4.4 40 time at his pro day. I doubt John Abraham comes anywhere close to those numbers…

13. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Carr

As I noted above, I don’t see Carr. But we’ll see.

14. By ored on May 8, 2014 | Reply

shazier fan here also,but barr would be nice also and t.murphy later would be great.

15. By Louisville Card on May 8, 2014 | Reply

If they pick Carr with Bridgewater sitting there it will be a sad day…like Darren I don’t see Carr as a viable #20 pick.

16. By John The Draft Guy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren

Re; Carr

Thank goodness you arent hearing anything. Too much Carr to Cards buzz without some kind of interest.

BTW, Don’t you usually do a Mock each year?

17. By Hammy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I think this is Palmer’s last year here in AZ, it is time to find a long term answer at quarterback! Draft the best quarterback in round 1 and then fill other team needs in the other rounds. I’d say draft Manziel, Carr, Bridgewater or Bortles with that pick! Cant go wrong with either player.

18. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Mock

My mock days are long over. I think there are plenty of mocks out there without me adding to the landfill.

19. By krehbieo14 on May 8, 2014 | Reply

It’ conceivable that Bortles stock will fall as we close in on the draft due to QB needy teams not wanting to risk taking a QB that’s not game – day ready for 2014. If so, the Cards may take him if they really have a love affair with the guy. Moore and Arians can coach him up for the future.

20. By John The Draft Guy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Alright, but just for fun, who do you think goes at #20. One name.
    I know there are a million factors but you heard our guesses, what do you got?

21. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Pick at 20

I could see Shazier.

Or Bortles, if he is there.

But who knows.

22. By CN Punk on May 8, 2014 | Reply

What I won’t do is go into each QB’s scouting report. But to those of you that just keep pounding the table for Derek Carr, that tells me none of you have watched his game tape and seen that every time, and i don’t mean some time, every time he was worried about pressure his mechanics went to crap and his accuracy went out the window. I’m sorry but for the life of me i can’t see us using a 2ed let alone a 1st round pick on a QB that is gun shy with pressure near him. There are allot of things that you can coach up/out of a player but i really don’t see that as one of them. And at that pick(s) it’s definitely not worth the risk that he will never be a quarter of the QB that Carson is. Like it or not I know our GM/scouts/coaches see the same things, I just find it so disrespectful that the rest if the league still treats and acts like were not the LAST team to beat Seattle, in Seattle no less. But anyways. Thankfully. The first round of the draft is here, and people can stop telling us how horrible we will draft, when in fact we will ace this one just like last year.

23. By joelhc on May 8, 2014 | Reply

For the love of everything holy i hope they move the draft back to where it is supposed to be this extra couple weeks of mocks and waiting have driven m insane. I love maycock’s draft that has us taking Anthony Barr with HA HA going to eagles right after i think if we get to 20 and anthoney barr clinton-dix and pryor are all still on the board merry Christmas to us

24. By CN Punk on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I have a list i have had for weeks, time is now.
    it’s based on who might still be available because it’s such a deep draft and who i would pick with multiple choices in each round if the previous choice was gone.
    Round 1
    2.D. McCullers – DT
    3.T. Murphy
    Round 6
    1.C.J. Fiedorowicz – TE
    2.X. Grimble – TE
    3. J. Nujvar – TE

I’ve got explanations for them I’ll be posting, just wanted to get this up b4 the draft.
    So Pt. 1 of 2

25. By Dr. G. on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Darren – Landfill, indeed… Your humor shines through now and then…. Sarcasm is the finest form of “jocularity.”

So happy to get this thing on….. got a feeling I have our #1 on the 120 board if he’s there….posted many times though BA has been mute on him… We must believe Keim listens to BA as well as his entire staff and team, but longer-term plans trump today’s roster… By long-term, I mean a few years for most of the team and 10 years for the QB… Have a good Evening….

26. By br on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Well Bortles and Barr are gone 8 picks in…everybody pray that Z. MARTIN/ND will fall to #20 then our right side OL will be set!!! Cleveland may want to move up still if Carr or Manziel arw still around at #20

27. By Eric G on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I have to imagine that that trade means we’re going with Carr.

28. By lg on May 8, 2014 | Reply

THE JETS ARE SOME DUMB F***s THEY NEEDED A WR TO THROW THE DAM BALL TOO BUT THEY TAKE A SAFETY THAT WE NEEDED BUT I AINT GONE CRY OVER IT WE WILL STILL BE BETTER THAN THE JETS NEXT YEAR .

29. By louis on May 8, 2014 | Reply

we are finish why did we move down 7 spots for a 3 round .

30. By Andy Kw on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Smart choice Steve Keim!!!
    I was like it better be between Derek Carr or Deone Bucannon. Thank the lord the Cardinals got the man that I have been praising forever SS Deone Bucannon. We welcome you to the Birdgang. We have a powerful and young secondary. It does not get better than this

31. By Paul on May 8, 2014 | Reply

Question: are the Cards stupid or blind? Why are they the only ones that doesn’t know they need a QB? How many ints. does Palmer have to throw? Cards need more defense like the titanic needs more water. Stupid is as stupid does. How many more years do the Card Fans have to suffer? You had Bridgewater right in your hands…and blew it. STUPID !!!

32. By ored on May 8, 2014 | Reply

well,have to agree we do have a solid secondary,and in todays game that goes a long way,now some more pressure on the qb and our defense is set.tomorrow will be interesting.

33. By clssylssy on May 8, 2014 | Reply

I about had a heart attack when we traded with the Saints and saw each of my picks vanish before my eyes! When Green Bay grabbed Clinton-Dix I felt like I was experiencing de ja vu from last year when they grabbed Eddie Lacy! I have always enjoyed watching the draft to a point…starts out exciting…moves to interesting…downhill to get stressful! Love seeing these young men see the dream begin;seeing all the talent brings home the sense that a lot of teams are going to be much improved barring early injuries and given the right coaching. I was glad we went defense and REALLY glad we got a safety even if it wasn’t who I thought we’d take. I do like everything I’ve seen of this young man and what I’ve read, and am quite confident he’ll be a an asset to our defense.
    I’m just ready for training camp to see how we’re shaping up and to get this show on the road! GO CARDS, IT’S MAGIC TIME!

34. By Chase Penman on May 9, 2014 | Reply

You guys ALL forget that we had one of the BEST Strong Safties in the Game with Adrian Wilson for over a decade!!! (And who is my favorite player)

Why wouldn’t we take Safety who has similarities to one of the best and a position of which we need? For all of you who were hopeing we would take a QB in round 1, you must be bandwagon fans and not understand the logic of our front office who is trying to build a championship team, not follow the medias take on who we should pick!

BA and Keim both stated many times that no QB had that IT factor for them to jump. It was not a smoke screen. Why reach because the media said to? Our front office understand that we want to WIN the SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR IN OUR HOME FIELD so when you have a first round pick, it goes to a guy that can improve a position RIGHT NOW, not a developing QB. Hence Bucannon. Go lay some wood and MAKE VERNON DAVIS PAY!!!!!!!!!