Bucannon’s impressive first impression

Posted by Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 – 3:46 pm

Obviously, Deone Bucannon has to be able to play football, and play it well. Otherwise, the other stuff, frankly, doesn’t matter. Not from the NFL perspective. But one of the reasons he is a Cardinal is because of the impression he left with those in the organization he spent time with before the draft, and getting a chance to talk with him for about 45 minutes as he arrived in Tempe, I can see why. He handles himself with maturity and smarts. He is humble. He comes from a military family that definitely has left a positive impact.

In fact, the Cardinals have now drafted safeties in back to back drafts that while they couldn’t have come from more diverse background, seem to work through the same personality: Bucannon and last year’s third-rounder, Tyrann Mathieu.

“You go back to the top of the pyramid, that’s what our owner (Michael Bidwill) wants, that’s what Steve (Keim) wants, that’s what B.A. wants, it’s what Todd (Bowles) wants,” defensive backs coach Nick Rapone said. “We are trying to build a quality team on the field and off the field. Like Deone, Ty doesn’t say a word, he just plays football.”

Both have chips on their shoulders. We all know why Mathieu was hoping to prove people wrong. Bucannon has been undervalued since high school, when he was recruited by just four schools. One was Washington State. One was San Diego State, and interestingly, Bucannon chose Pullman over the beach. (Growing up in a military family, Bucannon said he lived in San Diego for a while when he was growing up and wanted to go someplace different. Pullman is definitely different.)

An example of how Bucannon knows how to handle himself? He was asked today about his big-hitting style and how it might not work all that well in today’s quick-to-fine-on-hits NFL.

“I’m definitely aware, but that’s part of being a professional and becoming a professional,” Bucannon said. “I’m not going to sacrifice any of what got me here, through my aggressiveness and playmaking ability. I don’t want to take away this game I love so much from somebody else by being dumb. That’s not what I want to do. I’m going to be professional about it and be aggressive and I’m going to bring something to this team that the coaching staff and the people in the front office see in me.”

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “Bucannon’s impressive first impression”

1. By CN Punk on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I just love this kid as a person. I can see exactly what Steve Keim seen in him during that dinner.

2. By sir60 on May 9, 2014 | Reply

All else being equal, draft character.

I think Deone will do his best for the Cardins. His special teams work verifies that.

3. By John The Draft Guy on May 9, 2014 | Reply

D Law going to Dallas. How depressing. Wish we took him at 27.

Nothing special left as OLBs. Go Oline. Get that RT. Or maybe just end the speculation and take a Carr.

4. By Dr. G. on May 9, 2014 | Reply

“T H E C A N N O N !”

How does picking Bucannon not help the Cards? I was schmoozed into believing that BPA was the operating system… Getting this young man addresses a serious need, regardless if he is the best Safety available.
    His named is also has the non-standard spelling with “CANNON” in there. My nick name will be ” THE CANNON” because from what I read, he can handle the TE’s and also help stop the run…. H’e gonna love our defense…doesn’t need to be the hero.
    Understandably, Fans have their “druthers,” but addressing needs is a good thing. Next we get DE and a LB in the next few rounds. I’m still thinking Keim has a QB possibly later…not sure I should mention Glennon…. Good day, Cards Fans…

5. By William Barry on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Our first pick, was a steal!!!! He is such a great person, on and off the field!!!!!

Now we need to get OLB and DL. GO CARDS!!!!!!! How about Hageman

6. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Barry —

RE: Hageman

He’s long gone.

7. By Scott H on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I like what they did in the first. I’m assuming this was the player they wanted, they obviously believed they could get him at 27, and they picked up a 3rd rounder in the process. NICE!!! I like that they went safety in the first round, and I think they got a heck of a player. Assuming the Honey Badger is ready to go when the season starts, they look to have one helluva secondary taking shape. Screw the Legion of Boom. This Cardinals D will be among the best in the league and they will do it WITHOUT needing to give themselves a really pathetic nickname. They won’t need one. Because when you are this good, people will know who you are.

BTW, just noted that the 49ers got Stevie Johnson in a trade with the Bills. That is a pretty damn good complement to what they already have with Boldin, Crabtree, and Vernon Smith.

8. By Scott H on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Adding to my satisfaction with what the Cards did in the first round is the fact that I’ve been listening to really un-happy Eagles fans all day who couldn’t believe the Eagles passed on this guy and the Cardinals got him with the very next pick!

9. By CN Punk on May 9, 2014 | Reply

This has got to be the weirdest draft in resent memory. I’m at a loss for what just happened with the redskins pick…

10. By Dr. G. on May 9, 2014 | Reply

Wow, after all that harping I did about needing an offensive weapon in a TE, here is my wish come true. They can teach him better blocking skills… Now we can bring havoc with the big guy we know can do it. Hopefully, he gets it together in camp so he can leap frog and play immediately…. Yeah!!!!

Oh, I forgot…. 10 INCH HANDS… So he will catch like Fitz!

11. By Michael on May 9, 2014 | Reply

I know this probably doesn’t get said enough but I greatly appreciate the front office of the Cardinals and the decisions they have made. I especially appreciate Michael Bidwell and the commitment he has made to this organization. I’m a devoted fan living in the rainy city of Seattle (with all of those Seahawks) and I’m extremely optimistic about the future of this team. I don’t know if you can translate/pass this on to Michael Bidwell but thank him for his devotion and involvement with the coaches, players, and fans of this organization. It gives me strength to continue to root for the Cardinals in the midst of the Seahawk’s “12th Man.”

12. By br on May 9, 2014 | Reply

OK, OK, Iam going to eat that crow starting now!! I Did not know his pops is/was a Marine, of course he will be successful in the league ( of course im very biased on this since i retired after 22 yrs in the Marine Corps, and have recently been returned to active duty to make one more trip to a country in the middle east in order to train there “new” military!) But with both parents as military there is no way he will fail, he will just work 150% harder than anyone else until he has perfected his trade!! Welcome Deonne and if you are reading this let your father know i said SEMPER FI!!!