And that’s the 2014 Cards’ draft

Posted by Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 – 3:43 pm

Seven picks, six rounds and a whole lot of hand-wringing over the Cardinals’ picks, but the draft is over. So are three long days, but before I head out to an abbreviated weekend, it’s time to wrap this up.

The Cards went with an eventual starting strong safety, a starting tight end who can block, a pair of future picks for the defensive line, a pair of receivers to fill out the corps and an intriguing (I know some of you have stronger words for it) quarterback prospect. Some of the picks, especially Logan Thomas, feel like a swing for the fence, as in if they work out, they could be very, very good.

But let’s make no mistake, not everyone is going to work out and frankly, that’s how every draft ends up. Steve Keim said he looks for three impact players out of each class. That’s just being realistic.

“What I love about (this class) is I look at all those names and I see guys who are big-time competitors, who love the game and bring an element of toughness to our locker room, which I don’t think you can ever have enough of,” Keim said. “That’s the whole thing. I’ve walked out of this building for many years when we got ‘A’s’ and ‘B’s’ (as grades), and those players didn’t turn out to be good players. You have to trust what you’re doing and trust your board. I trust the people in our room.

“Again, you have to avoid the noise sometimes and avoid what people are saying. You can’t get caught up in some of the hype. Again, I’ve always trusted what I see on tape and I think we came away with a pretty good class.”

– I don’t know how Thomas will turn out. I know he looked erratic the very limited times I saw him play in college. I’m pretty sure the Cards saw the same. I’m leery about being about change a guy who has long been inaccurate. Is it a risk? Sure. But everyone has a different opinion. I still think that, if you try him at QB for a couple of years and it isn’t working out, you can put him at tight end and still get a good fourth-round choice out of it. Sorry, but I don’t lose any sleep about the draft picks. They are what they are, and I’ll chronicle how their careers play out, good or bad.

– Keim said the Cardinals tried to trade “multiple times” in the draft. “We would’ve moved three or four more times if we would have gotten cooperation in other spots from other teams,” Keim said.

– Finishing the draft in the sixth round meant an early jump on recruiting potential undrafted rookies. The Cards after the draft class have 76 players on the roster, leaving 14 spots (although as long as the draft class is unsigned, they officially don’t count toward the 90-man roster limit.) Keim said he would’ve liked a seventh round pick but it’s a benefit to start on recruiting. “Quite frankly, I think that’s one of the things Bruce and I do best,” Keim said.

– Of those undrafted rookies, Keim said he’d like to add two running backs and three-to-five offensive linemen. I’d guess they will add a couple of defensive backs and receivers too.

– The undrafted names will slowly leak out. I don’t expect an official list until Monday. I may check out Twitter and mention some there (@cardschatter, if you aren’t already following) but otherwise, I’ll catch up to that group later.

Tags: , , ,

65 Responses to “And that’s the 2014 Cards’ draft”

1. By Dr. G. on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Good work Darren… I was just going to say, “Off to the FA races and maybe give the SEC Player of the Year a shot.” But the RAMS just took M. Sam – this is either going to be a terrific pick or an incredible distraction…nothing in between.

We look forward to your candid camp reports to keep us tuned in so we can use your eyes and ears as things happen.

Be well…. have a good weekend… what there is of it for you…

2. By Coach K on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I like all the picks except the last one. Unless Keim knows something we don’t, I fail to see how Walter Powell warrants a 6th round selection over a couple corners and offensive linemen who were graded much higher.

I hope I’m wrong and Powell has something special, but I personally would have loved to see an offensive lineman taken to throw into the mix.

I expect free agency to produce several good players. I see lots of good players undrafted as we near the end of round 7. I hope Keim is burning up the phone lines right now. Especially for defensive backs and linebackers.

3. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I think there is a difference between arguing about the picks and thinking the cards missed on a pick.

Example; I argued last year the cards should take Kenny Vaccaro and then in round two, I wanted Terron Armstead. The saints ended up with both and both made a impact.

Meanwhile, the cards took Cooper and Minter. We don’t know, but it seems like two solid picks.

Because I wanted other players and disagreed with the picks doesn’t mean I think the picks were bad.

So with that being said; here is how I viewed this year;
    The cards address need not BPA. That is not a bad thing, but that was obvious.

Round 1- Bucannon fills a need at SS. At first, I was against this pick, but as the draft unfolded, I could see what the card brass is looking to do. I saw the niners, Hawks, and Rams all have three wr sets and an athletic TE. With the sets, Minter will come off for Powers. With minter off and maybe the NT too, the Hawks, Rams and niners (who have big backs) can run against a smaller front. Bucannon can play the short passes but also crowd the line and stop the run in these sub packages. – I get why they took Bucannon to match the NFC west.

Round 2 – Arians attack is different. He will use two TEs, forcing you to leave in you base package and exploit mismatches. Niklas will help in this area.

Round 3 – Bowles likes the much larger OLBs. Why? see round one. Shaughnessy had a great year even though the sacks werent there because he could hold the edge. I think Kareem Martin is a better Shaughnessy

Round 3 – Seems Ariand found his swope this year. Antonio Brown, The kid for the colts, same mold.

Round 4 – Wow. Logan Thomas. Major project who I just do not believe can develop into a QB. I will say it again, he is going to be a good TE for us in a two TE package eventually.

Round 5 – Ed Stinson – best value in the draft. What a great pick. Someone who will provide depth along the line and eventually take Docketts spot.

Round 6 – I dont know much about him.

Overall – not the guys I would have picked. But I get it. And if I am wrong about Thomas, we hit the home run. Lets hope I am wrong. Our team got a lot better today.

4. By Coach K on May 10, 2014 | Reply

We get two potential plays with the Logan Thomas pick. He can compete for a quarterback spot, and if he gets beat out, he can compete for a tight end spot and become a Jimmy Graham type of receiving tight end. So we basically drafted two potential plays in one. A WIN-WIN!

5. By lg on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren have they give us a grade yet ?

6. By NJAzCardsFan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

After the 2nd round of this draft the only thing I can say is UGH!!!!! What was the Cards Mgmt thinking…???

If I had to rate the Cards picks, I would give them a C- only because the first two pick were decent. Other wise, I would rate it as an “F”….. Maybe Thomas can be a TE to salvage the pick….

7. By steve on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Great job as always covering this draft, we wont know how well our draft class turns out until at least 2-3 years from now so it is silly to assign “draft grades” to each teams haul right now. Having said that I liked almost all of our selections for the most part and except for the Logan Thomas pick in the 4rth round, I cant second guess the front office.

8. By krehbieo14 on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I like the Logan Thomas pick. There’s a lot of upside to his selection. He has the size, speed and intangibles. He lacks good mechanics which can be taught over time. There’s no hurry to put him on the field. Give him plenty of reps in preseason, including sets where he can take off with the ball. He was worth the risk.

9. By jascon on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Hey Cards fans….calm down. Have you seen the UDFA list?

There is a HUGE amount of talent left for the taking. I agree that some of the picks were foreign to me, but trust our GM…he’s earned it. Don’t embarrass yourself by crapping on a player today that you might be rooting for in a few years.

10. By liquidchaoss on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I actually like this draft class, in fact Im loving the Logan pick. Heck we all know picking a QB in the draft is a gamble no matter what round. But this guy not only is big like Big Ben but he is fast, had a faster 40 time then Johnny Football, and he has a cannon of an arm, clocked at 60mph at the combine. Yeah we all know the story, not to many qbs with low accuracy in college succeed in the NFL. But hey we also see a lot of accurate college qbs fail at the next level too. I feel the big difference is Logan has a lot of mechanical issues, it seems mentally he is fine but I truly feel his accuracy issues are because of his mechanics. Reading up on him it states he throws with his upper body, doesnt use his lower body when throwing and all arm type throws usually end up interceptions. Get someone like Arians to fix these issues and you have a HUGE qb with a strong arm and very fast. I dont understand that last pick though, how many WR does this team need? Rather they pick a project at oline, plenty of talented olinemen available in round 6.

11. By Matt in ATL on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Undrafted free-agents I’d like to see in Tempe: Dion Bailey, Antonio Richardson, Jackson Jeffcoat, Gabe Ikard,

12. By jetstreamgreen81 on May 10, 2014 | Reply

What happened to Keim and Arians and when did Graves and Whisenput come back into the draft room? Bucannon A, Niklas B, Martin B, Brown C, Thomas D, Stinson C, Powell F. Today was like the reincarnation of Graves. We had a Thomas in Skelton without the good athleticism and Skelton was more accurate and what is that saying. Sowell and Massie must be better than they let on because there were some good Ol depth or potential starters that we could have had that we didn’t take. No OLB or ILB either or CB depth. I hate to be pessimistic but I don’t know. Really hope it works because we are so close. I know we have to wait to see how it plays out but it seems like we have been here before.

13. By T. Stone on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I believe we will get our 3 impact players out of this draft. Well done Cardinals. You made us proud. And draft grades mean nothing, just gives the talking heads something to talk about other than why their Mock 8.0 didn’t look anything like the real draft. Because you never hear that. What kind of food you like Darren?

14. By cardsalltheway on May 10, 2014 | Reply

the Rams 3rd Round Draft pick had a better grade than our 1st Round Draft pick!
    Here is a list of our picks by NFL Draft Tracker and grades for each player. I’ll just post them by round…
    1 – 5.7(Deone Bucannon)
    2 – 5.6(Troy Niklas)
    3 – 5.6(Kareem Martin)
    3 – 5.1(John Brown)
    4 – 5.4(Logan Thomas)
    5 – 5.5(Ed Stinson)
    6 – 4.8(Walt Powell)
    Now let’s compare our players/draft to the Rams…
    Round 1, Pick 2 (2) (From Redskins)
    Greg Robinson(OT)
    6’5″ 332 Auburn – 7.4
    Round 1, Aaron Donald(D)
    6’1″ 285 Pittsburgh – 6.3

Round 2, Lamarcus Joyner(CB)
    5’8″ 184 Florida St. – 5.2

Round 3, Tre Mason(RB)
    5’8″ 207 Auburn – 5.8

Round 4, Mo Alexander(SS)
    6’1″ 220 Utah St. – 5.2

Round 6, E.J. Gaines(CB)
    5’10″ 190 Missouri – 5.2
    Round 6, Garrett Gilbert(QB)
    6’4″ 221 SMU – 5.0
    Round 7, Mitchell Van Dyk(OT)
    6’7″ 299 Portland St.

Round 7, C.B. Bryant(FS)
    5’9″ 198 Ohio St. – 5.0
    Round 7, Michael Sam(DE)
    6’2″ 261 Missouri – 5.1
    Round 7, Demetrius Rhaney(C)
    6’2″ 301 Tennessee St. – 5.2

15. By dan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Nice job through the whole ordeal, Darren.
    I disagree with your conservatism, however. I think that this is the Cardinals’ best draft ever, and that Deone, Troy, Kareem and Logan are going to be stars, and John, Ed and Walt are going to be important role players for many years to come.
    Please mark my words, and in four years, if I’m wrong, Darren will give you my email address and I’ll buy you a milkshake from Jack in the Box. ;-)

16. By Hammy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Looking at all the draft picks, the one that will make the biggest impact obviously is Buccanon and Niklas. I like the fact that our O-Line is pretty much set. I can guess that means, Massie is our Right tackle and Watford is our Right Guard? The one pick that we drafted that I would question is the wide out from Murray St. Other than that, we did pretty decent. Overall draft grade B+

17. By Andy Kw on May 10, 2014 | Reply

According to sbnation.com, these are the UDFA players we signed so far:
    WR Kevin Smith, Washington
    DL Justin Renfrow, Miami
    OT Kelvin Palmer, Baylor
    LB James Carson, PSU

Here are the UDFA I think we should consider signing, adding on to who we have:
    OLB Adrian Hubbard, Alabama
    WR L’Damian Washington, Missouri
    C Jonotthan Harrison, Florida
    DT Bruce Gaston, Purdue
    RB Zach Bauman, Arizona
    TE Jacob Pederson, Wisconsin
    OT Matt Feiler, Bloomsburg

18. By shannon robinson on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I’m proud of the scouts who brought this talent to our team. There will be some players out of this group that will really surprise us – can’t wait for camp! Thanks Mr. Keim, job well done!

19. By azqfan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Cards signed Zack Bauman from NAU!! Great Job, go Jax!!!

20. By William Barry on May 10, 2014 | Reply

John Brown, everybody says this guy is a reach….mark my works, this guy was one of the fastest WR in the draft, and #1 in 20 yards splits @2.46 seconds.!!!!!!!I’m sure BA wanted him for kickoff and punt returns,….he is going to be very exciting and I expect him to have an impact on our club. He has great hands, and super speed, and is EXPLOSIVE!!!!!. His only drawback is that he can knocked off his routes, otherwise, and exciting pick.

21. By William Barry on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Here a synopsis of Kareem Martin: on one of my boards, he’s the 7th best DE in the draft. from NFL.com draft board_”Strengths Has very long arms. Good eyes and recognition — senses screens, locates the ball and understands contain. Strong-handed to punch and extend. Good short-area burst. Uses his length to force his way into gaps. Flashes power potential. Nice closing speed. Wrap tackler. Football smart. Durable three-year starter. Solid personal and football character with leadership traits. Showed explosion at the combine, recording a 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump (best among defensive linemen) and a 35 1/2-inch vertical jump.”

22. By Dynosoar on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I appreciated the infographics. Here’s what I noticed.

Bucannon – Combines best at 3 cone drill (is this by position or for entire combine?)

Niklas – Combines best at Bench Press (27 reps)

Martin – Combines best at Broad Jump

Brown – Combines best at 40 yard dash

Thomas – Combines best at 40 yard dash (I guess that answers my first question)

Stinson – 2 Time National Champion with Alabama (Also, 27 Bench Press reps)

Powell – no infographic at the moment, but second fastest 40 yard dash for WR’s (did I read that right, oh and he’s behind Brown who was fastest)

Someone stated over the weekend that if this draft was rated on freakish athleticism we’d be graded #1. I think they’re correct. What also stood out is how many of these players are excited to be coming to the Cardinals. Not just the NFL, but to our team.

I like that over the last couple years we’re getting players who want to play in the desert and want to wear Cardinals red. I like that almost all the draftees have the blue Combine Best beside their name for something.

I don’t really care what draft grade we get now, I care about what draft grade we get that first game in February 2015.

23. By Dynosoar on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Here’s to the Cardinals draft class of 2014!
    May they be all they want to be.
    All Keim and Arians and staff want them to be.
    All we want them to be.
    And all that the rest of the NFC West does not want them to be.

Cardinals Draft Class of 2014 – Here’s to you.

24. By AzDesertRat1953 on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Well that was FUN!

Now comes the WORK.

GO CARDS!!!

25. By Sackman on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Interesting Draft. Not outstanding but very likeable. My crystal ball worked out right on. I called it a bunch of post earlier saying that it tells me that the Cardinals were going to trade down somewhere in the first 3 rounds and they wouldn’t pick up a Quarterback until the 4th round.
    I have a feeling that we just missed out on a couple of good picks right before we picked. First come first serve. It is what it is. Let the party begin Football is finally here!

26. By CN Punk on May 11, 2014 | Reply

-To: the sky falling/our GM has lost his mind/these are the worst pick ever/we should have drafted this guy instead/the pundits know best/and all other doom and gloom fans;
    If what our team does displeases you so much there are 31 other football teams and countless other sports that you could spend your time and hard earned money to follow, we don’t need the Fairweather lot of you that only want out your way. How many of you have actually been following this team since the days of ASU home games? And not just since we were blessed with a Super Bowl berth? Bruce and Steve have more than enough experience with identifying talent and utilizing them to fit the scheme that they are running. Which is why they have the jobs that they have, they are well respected around the league for the jobs they have done, and if they see things in those kids that you or others don’t, with their track record, shouldn’t that tell you that maybe people were over looking the fact that with the right scheme fit or the right coaching, players can be special even if they were once thought to be only partly there? I seem to remember a quote from Arians that you can’t teach speed. And i believe the same goes for heart, if a player is passionate about the game, and has some talent, the coaches can harness that with all of their experience. Logan will be a true test of that in the QB department, because for once we do have the staff to develop a guy if he truly has the potential. Deone will become the guy that makes true fans like me forget about my favorite player of all time, I love Adrian Wilson like no other Cardinal because he is a class act and a throw back player, but Bucannon will become not A-dub 2.0 but a even better safety when it is all said and done. Niklas really does have the potential to become a stud, he already is of starter quality (just wait till you see him block for the first time and catch his first pass) but has so much up side we won’t fully appreciate him until year 3. Martin and Stinson are the depth and youth on the D-line we needed and get to learn from our all pros wile they wait for their turn, each has his own specialty, and they can only get better learning from the great leaders we have on this team. Brown is OUR T.Y. Hilton/Antonio Brown that Arians has always had. So even if Ginn doesn’t work out we have his replacement right now, 4.34 speed. Can you say burner? And has great hands, as allot of people will tell you, allot of guys can run fast, but not all of them can run fast and also make decisions wile at top speed, ala punt returns and the deep balls in our system. Powell is another super tough 4.6 guy, reminds me allot of Anquan, minus the attitude. And finally Thomas, he has the size, the arm and the passion. People can claim all they want that you can’t teach accuracy, but it’s bs and they know it, what they are really saying is we don’t know how to correct “this guys” accuracy. Arians was personally at his work out, he saw something that told him, hey I can help this guy out, and we have the time to do it because Carson really does have 2-3 really good years left wile he develops another QB, what would be better than if he was the best of the 4 in the NFC West?
    Anyways, just chill out everyone. We are in great hands and nothing had changed from a week ago except the fact we have our 2014 rookie class. Thanks for putting up with it all Darren, enjoy your extra time off. (if you actually get true time off, my mom claims to but in reality she just keeps working)

27. By CN Punk on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Lol I just realized that you wrote abbreviated weekend. So that would mean less time off. Well it’s late and I’ve been following the draft as close as many of the reporters so I’ll adjust that finally statement by saying you deserve MORE time off, lol, but with the blog who knows if you would really get it. Darren you are also one of the class acts from this organization that I love and am always amazed at how you are able to deal with those on this blog on a daily basis. You, Sir, deserve a sizeable contact extension and raise just as much as our beloved players!
    Thanks again!

28. By CN Punk on May 11, 2014 | Reply

-Re: Myself
    Before anyone else gets the chance, I’d like to point out that while I was telling you that we don’t need your doom and gloom, there will always be room for criticism. I, just like most who actually care about the organization, would like if it was a well thought out point. Not just, see I told you so, or geez you suck comment. I’ve seen Darren point that out several times and always wondered how many people actually pay attention to that. So while I re picked my name so that most understood that i could careless if you like or dislike what I have to say, that I do take time to think about what I may or may not post. Which is why I’m not too frequent on here as it’s not the amount of what you say but rather the thought that goes into what you do. So please, if you really care about the Cardinals like I’m sure most of you do. Try to live by the words that make my life much easier.
    It’s better to be quick of mind than quick of mouth.
    -CN Punk

29. By clssylssy on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Now the best part starts. watching to see how good a job Keim does in snatching up undrafted free agents…or what’s left. No time to sit around rehashing the draft!
    The Steelers really hit one out of the park starting off with their grab of Shazier and have since signed 10 free agents following the draft’s conclusion. Last year Keim did some of his best work in after the regular draft had closed and so I’m not ready to write this year off as being subpar; I liked the fact that we went after a SS and a TE and trust in BA/Keim that the players we drafted were ones to fill the bill. Many fans are upset that we went need over BPA but I would rather fill a major hole than have someone we really don’t need and will possibly change our lineup (slowing the learning curve with no guarantees). Every year we are neck deep in receivers, most of whom will be traded away as better talent than when we got them, so will wait-n-see on Brown but that’s one that has me shaking my head…Pitts State??? We had Andre Roberts who knew our system and didn’t really improve his situation by going to Washington (who we have to play at home),
    In our division, the Rams had a stellor draft and the Seahawks just got nastier so that road to the playoffs in the West will be all uphill and a blood bath, plus we will no doubt have to play the Saints in the playoffs who we helped complete their offense with our #20 pick (we could have taken Cooks at #20 just as well)
    We’ve got a great group of players and our coaching staff is the best, however we had one of the toughest schedules for teams who didn’t make the playoffs and it just got a whole lot tougher. Having the draft so late was a nightmare that wore a lot of fans down before the fact and I’m glad it’s behind us and we can now get down to the business at hand. We have to reclaim our division by winning all of our home games so will need the Birdgang to be in good voice! COME’N CARDS, LET’S GET’R’DONE! (Meanwhile the elephant in the room (Paterson contract) is being ignored but weighing heavy on many fans minds…

30. By Eric G on May 11, 2014 | Reply

I like the Logan Thomas pick, and I really hope he pans out. Great thing is, we didn’t need a franchise QB this year, probably don’t need one next year. That means he has 2 years to develop. If he’s not the guy, there is time to draft that guy.

Anyone that looks solely at how a QB plays in college, and with the WRs he has in college, as proof positive of how he will play in the NFL need only look at a few QBs who failed in the NFL:

First Round Picks and Heisman Trophy Winners
    Christian Ponder
    Danny Wuerfuhl
    Blaine Gabbert
    Brandon Weeden
    Jim Druckenmiller
    Rick Mirer

On the other hand, look at the following QBs who were successful in the NFL
    Tom Brady – 6th round 2000
    David Garrard – 4th round 2002 – Pro Bowler
    Tony Romo – Undrafted 2003
    Matt Cassel – 7th round 2005
    Matt Hasselbeck – 6th round 1998
    Jake Delhomme – Undrafted 1997 – Pro Bowler
    Gus Frerotte – 7th round 1994 – Pro Bowler
    Jeff Garcia – Undrafted 1994
    Mark Brunell – 4th round 1993 – Pro Bowler
    Trent Green – 8th round 1993 – Pro Bowler

Oh yeah, and one other guy
    KURT WARNER – Undrafted 1994

The point is, you DON’T KNOW until they play.

31. By carlo milano on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Hi Darren
    May i ask u why there wasnt the ed stinson conference call?

32. By Chuck 1 on May 11, 2014 | Reply

It time for me to chime in on BPA.
    IMHO, a GM and his personnel should not rank QBs, OTs, DLs, DBs ……(oh well, you get the idea) from 1-120 on a draft board regardless of their position.
    If they want to rank each position from one to 20, for example, that makes sense.
    And, then when they’re on the clock, they can decide which position is most important to them.

33. By Rugbymuffin on May 11, 2014 | Reply

You have that the Cardinals have 76 players on their roster.

When was Javone Lawson, WR cut ? He is still listed on the Cardinals roster on many sites across the internet.

34. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

lg –

RE: Grades

I don’t know which “they” to which you refer, but I am sure there are plenty of grades to be had.

35. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

TStone –

RE: Food

Ha. Do me a favor. Take your significant other or a good friend out to eat and just mention me in a toast. That works for me.

36. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Stinson

There were issues with the recording. Sorry.

37. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Rugby –

RE: Lawson

When I get the official roster from the team, Lawson is not listed on it.

But I will follow up Monday.

38. By Mike Ellingboe on May 11, 2014 | Reply

I enjoy reading what my fellow fans think of the draft, good and bad, but going forward, please leave out the “unless Keim knows something we don’t” comments. I’ll save you the suspense, he does.

39. By Mike Ellingboe on May 11, 2014 | Reply

@Chuck 1,

I don’t know specifically how they do it, but I can say the one flaw in how you’re looking at it, for example, their 2nd rated QB might not be a better pro prospect/fit for the team as their 5th rated LB, so I think you have to account for that when making a board. Again, however it is they go about doing it.

40. By cardsalltheway on May 11, 2014 | Reply

lg,
    “Darren have they give us a grade yet?”

CBS Sports graded each team and below is how they scored the NFC

San Fran A
    Rams A
    Cardinals B+
    SeaChickens B

41. By cardsalltheway on May 11, 2014 | Reply

2014 NFL draft grades: Vikings, Packers and Raiders receive highest marks

Mel Kiper’s 2014 NFL Draft Grades

To see the other 31 NFL teams you must be an NFL Insider(cough cough).

Arizona Cardinals: B

Top needs: OLB, S, WR, QB

Needs: B
    Value: B-

Summary: The Cardinals did pretty well, and hit some needs. If you look across the NFC West, you see safety combinations that balance a big hitter with a guy that can really run, move around, cover the slot and make plays. Last year the Cardinals added Tyrann Mathieu, who was fantastic as a rookie before the ACL injury, and this year they added a hitter in Deone Bucannon. The Cardinals moved down, and that made what you could call a slight reach on Bucannon perfectly reasonable. I list OLB as a need here, but that could also be DE because the Cardinals will mix their base fronts, and an athlete like Kareem Martin is a good fit. He’s a better athlete than he is a performer, but he could be good. Bruce Arians absolutely adored Heath Miller in Pittsburgh, and might see some of what he loved about Miller in Troy Niklas. John Brown was a guy I really liked because of the explosiveness — witness the 4.34 40 time — and he could become a solid third WR and also take return reps, preserving Mathieu and Patrick Peterson. Logan Thomas is a great developmental shot to take. Bruce Arians worked out Thomas in March, and loves the tools Thomas has. Will Thomas improve his accuracy? That’s the question, and it’s not at all easy to say he will, because accuracy and ball placement aren’t things that often improve a great deal. At worst, he’s Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson in practice because he can simulate that kind of athleticism.

42. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Good reporting and love watching the BASK videos, understanding their thinking makes it all more enjoyable… recurring theme: they seek mental toughness above all else… to wit: when faced with adversity, the mentally toughess usually prevail.

43. By Coach K on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren, Steen from Alabama had a 6th round grade. I’m glad he was grabbed in FA. I think he hs potential because he is bottom strong and impossible to move once he anchors.

I also like the Penn St. linebacker for depth and special teams.

will you update us on the latest FA signings today?

44. By ored on May 11, 2014 | Reply

1st glances are decieving,for all you downers,do a little research on the picks,then you’ll see why we targeted them…stand up guys,team captains,3-4 yr.college players,SPEED,big play capability,been in the limelight and performed.on a side note,it will not surprise me if all of a sudden ginn is a lot more reliable catching passes after being around fitz awhile,he rubbed off on andre and i think all our recievers will gain something just watching his daily practice routine…making the amazing seem routine.just with floyd and fitz alone i bet we raise logans completion percentage,then figure in an improved line,laser focused teaching and i think we have the makings of the next cam.

my 1st thoughts were also…who and why during the draft,and i still think many that we had targeted were just picked before us,only way to fix that is to trade up,which is’nt feasible consistently or to suck worse to get better picks…no thanx,so after reading a little and looking at what keim was seeing,we had a good draft,someone rated us an -A,i’ll take that.just remember all the speedy recievers that seemed to always come down with the catch,the smurphs in miami,harvin,hilton,etc.,sometimes just being fast is’nt enough,you need to track the ball,time the catch shield the ball,etc.,good reason pure track guys don’t usually make good recievers.bottom line,this draft was’nt sexy,big name players,and keim had to use judgement more often,but i believe once all is said and done his rep will remain untarnished.and it’s also awesome to see unheralded players step up.

45. By Brett n Co. on May 11, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

So go jump on the rams wagon and get the heck off of ours!

46. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Coach K –

RE: UDFAs

Won’t be officially announced until Monday.

47. By ored on May 11, 2014 | Reply

one more point with the logan pick,if it’s true he throws a 50-60 mph ball,then not many ordinary recievers catch that unless he burys it in their gut,usually takes a top talent to consistently reach out and grab those within their catch radius.you like the fast ball to fit tight windows but you also need the talent to snare them,sounds like a fit to me.

48. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1,

That’s an interesting approach. I wonder if it’s ever done that way.

So, rank all positions by need (“we need a safety or suffer from TE’s again.”) Our next position is DE, then TE and finally QB.

Then grade BPA for each position and then compare (the first two Safety’s are a must, if we can get them. But the best DE is better than the 3rd S. And the best TE is better than the 2nd DE, but not by much so the 2nd DE should be taken before the best TE. And the best QB is better than any of them , but we really don’t need a QB so…

1. S
    2. S
    3. DE
    4. DE
    5. TE
    6. S
    7 QB

Is this what your saying?

49. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Mike Ellingbow

“I’ll save you the suspense, he does.”

Quote of the week!

50. By tyman on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Good draft.

Not too surprised with the picks. Thought the TE was a good pickup in the second. Logan Thomas is a really interesting pick.

51. By Chuck 1 on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar (and those who disagree with my opinion),

My opinion is that it’s like comparing apples to oranges when the Cards i.e. Keim (and the others who give him inputs) rank players from 1-120 without considering the positions of the players.

How can Keim (and the others) decide which player is the ‘BEST” when they are comparing the “BEST” SS to the ‘BEST” TE to the “BEST” WR to the …….? i.e. is Bucannon better than Niklas? How can one rationally make that decision?

My solution: Rank all positions; SSs 1-15 (or whatever), all TEs 1-15 etc.

Then, when the Cards are “on the clock”, decide which of those positions you consider the most important at that time and select the player that is at the top of that position ranking and still on the board.

In that regard, it’s a mix of BPA and Need.

52. By sbrown on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren & Rugby –
    re; J. Lawson,
    I believe he was given the “injury settlement” sometime during the mini camps last summer. I had him on my pre-camp roster dated May 6, 2013, then I made note of injury.

Darren thanks for all you do for us Cardinal Fans, we would not have all the insight without all your efforts !

53. By joe67 on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Has anyone thought about whether Thomas would even CONSIDER playing TE? Might be another Tebow and only wants to be a QB

54. By sbrown on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren & Rugby,
    sorry I should have looked a bit before my last post, here is the info, off the “transactions” page of the web site.

05/21/2013 Cardinals waive-injured WR JAVONE LAWSON (Achilles), sign UDFA WR Charles Hawkins

55. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

joe67 –

RE: Thomas/TE

Usually, the other articles on the site provide answers.

“When (teams) asked me questions about (playing tight end), I was like, ‘Look, I’m a quarterback first. That’s what I want to be,’ ” Thomas said. “That’s what I’m going to be. I understand if you want a package or two that I play two or three plays a game when I’m backing somebody up and learning, if that’s what you want. But I really want to be a quarterback solely.”

Arians agreed, saying Thomas would be a quarterback.

56. By Scott H on May 11, 2014 | Reply

I LOVE the first round pick! The TE? OK. I’ll be excited about that if someone can tell me that the TE position is actually going to be a REAL part of the offense. I sure as hell hope it is since that was our 2nd round pick. Hard to imagine taking a player in the 2nd round with anything else in mind. And the QB? Well….why??? If there was a QB in this draft that you really wanted because you saw him as a viable QB of the future, then go get him. I would have been fine with that at any point beyond the first round. But if that guy is just not there….if you didn’t believe in any of the top 5 or 6 QB’s available in this draft, then why bother taking one at all? What is the point? Let’s face it – if we get to the point of whoever is behind Palmer and Stanton, we’re done. And IF we were to reach that point, then it would at least be nice to see the QB who might truly be the future of this team. But it doesn’t seem like that is what this guy is, so…again, why bother? You’d be just as well off with Lindley as your #3 QB and drafting another position.

ALL THAT SAID, I feel positive about the draft because I have come to trust Keim and BA and I am confident that they know what they are doing.

And, for what it’s worth, hats off to the Rams for taking Michael Sam and giving this kid a chance. I wish him well and I hope he can do something with his chance to make it in the NFL now that he has it.

57. By cardsalltheway on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Thomas, as I recall had said he had no interest in becoming a TE. If this is true and he still thinks the same way then I think it’s a wasted pick. Not that I wouldn’t give him a chance or adjust to his kind of play but because BA certainly ain’t going to. Our 3rd QB is more accurate than Thomas will ever dream of becoming so unless Thomas can win a spot on the roster as a special teams guy or TE then forget about it, it was a TOTAL waste of a pick, comparable to SWOPE there it is.

58. By Rugbymuffin on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Thanks Darren.

59. By Big Ken on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Logan Thomas sounds impassioned about being a quarterback in the NFL. It will be interesting to watch his career unfold.

60. By cardsalltheway on May 12, 2014 | Reply

I couldn’t have said it any better(about Thomas).

Unless,

Let me quote myself… “Not that I wouldn’t give him a chance or adjust to his kind of play but because BA certainly ain’t going to.”

If BA does this(adjusts) it will only be because of injury due to our # 1 & 2 QB’s. Now, if an a miracle happens then that’s fantastic, I’m all for it but how often do we see miracles?

I like the fact that Thomas could come in and make things happen but is BA going to take out Carson to do this or is Thomas going be our next Patrick Peterson(WR/TE) on offense?

I kind of think that a better draft choice could’ve been made.
    Instead of…
    3 – 5.1(John Brown)
    or
    4 – 5.4(Logan Thomas)
    or
    5 – 5.5(Ed Stinson)
    or
    6 – 4.8(Walt Powell)

We could’ve had Michael Sam! The only player who has a real chance of becoming someone in the NFL or out performing Michael Sam is possibly Ed Stinson.

The Josh Gordon story shows us what the NFL is, a pathetic “Org”/Monopoly run by a bunch of dbags.
    Down with pain relief or medicinal prescription drugs like cannabis.
    Instead, ALL in FOR THE PROMOTION OF DEPRESSANT DRUGS LIKE ALCOHOL, DRINK ALL YOU CAN AND BEAT YOUR WIVES/break their bones if you like!!! Heck, kill yourself(with GUN to head/fist at nose/temple) or your friends after drinking the NFL promotional alcohol depressant drug you see so frequently during NFL commercials.
    Drink BEER, BEER, BEER!!! But don’t go to the doctor and get a prescription to relieve any pain.

61. By Chase on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Really happy with our first 3 picks, then it all went south. I would of preferred Terrance West instead of Brown to solidify our backfield and then maybe a center instead of Powell

62. By GoCards!! on May 12, 2014 | Reply

All the negativity…. Look, we don’t really have any needs. They were well addressed. Powers did okay last year opposite Peterson, and we also have a real athlete in Justin Bethel. I fully trust that Arians and Keims know what they are doing.

All the negative thinking should end, RIGHT now. You seem to forget that the offense will begin moving the ball effectively now, with Palmer fully familiar with the system. I see a possible 12-4 record, and a division title in the box for us this year.

Cardinals also defeated the 12th man and Seattle, they defeated the Colts, Panthers, and two favorites at the time for the playoffs, the Falcons and Texans, and almost the Eagles!

We have a great staff, great team, but only half hearted fans. HAHA They know more about the game then you do! Draft grades mean nothing.

63. By Mike Ellingboe on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1,

I hear what you’re saying, but disagree with it. It is possible to rank players that way against each other. Let’s take our roster, for example. Does anyone think it’s a reach to say that Fitz and Floyd should be ranked higher than Lindley? Conversely, what you’re suggesting is exactly how teams end up reaching. Remember when we took Tommy Knight because we needed a CB? I’ll take a higher ranked player, at a supposed non-need position, before taking a 5th round player in round 1 just because he’s the only one available.

64. By Mike Ellingboe on May 12, 2014 | Reply

@Scott H,

I wasn’t overly ecstatic about Thomas in round 4 either, but in hearing Arians talk about him, I get where they going with it. I think it’s safe to say that Lindley has hit his ceiling, in terms of what he’ll be in this league. His skill set doesn’t really project beyond being a third-string QB. Thomas, on the other hand, has a ton of untapped potential and has the skill set to be a starter. Granted, his game is full of holes but as a team they’ve talked about upgrading a position whenever possible, and this is a legit chance to do that, albeit at a 3rd string position. There isn’t a lot of point to keeping a guy who doesn’t project beyond that, and waiting until the late rounds to get another QB to compete with him would have been trading four quarters for a dollar. Not predicting Thomas to be our future starter, but I see why they’re willing to give it a try.

2. May 12, 2014: Breakfast Links: Let the fun begin... | Spiked KoolAidSpiked KoolAid | Football News, Analysis and Discussion