QB Logan Thomas comes to Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 – 10:19 am

So Friday night, Bruce Arians asked “Why” when he was asked why the Cardinals hadn’t taken a quarterback. Saturday morning, the Cardinals took Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas, the definition of a project. As a QB, can Thomas beat out Ryan Lindley? Probably not. But Thomas, at 6-foot-6 and 250 pounds, has a giant arm and endless athletic talent. He’s not accurate. He is smart enough to play quarterback but all the analysts wonder about his technique and form. That, you figure is exactly what Arians and QB coach Freddie Kitchens think they have a chance to fix.

It’s a boom-or-bust choice, at least as a QB. Thomas could turn into one heckuva tight end. Arians, before the draft, was asked if Thomas could be a quarterback in the NFL. Arians said “he thinks he is,” and I’d think he will get his shot. Arians personally went to Virginia Tech for a pre-draft workout. He clearly likes his potential and he also thinks coaching changes and the talent around Thomas impacted Thomas’ play. But there is no getting around Thomas’ inconsistencies as a passer. This is incredibly intriguing and will be as this plays out.

LoganThomasUSE

Tags: , , , ,

93 Responses to “QB Logan Thomas comes to Cards”

1. By louis on May 10, 2014 | Reply

like i said we are in trouble big trouble.

2. By James on May 10, 2014 | Reply

louis, who is we? If you ask me, by this time next year, it will be the 9ers, Hawks and Rams that are worried about Thomas. Oh ye of little faith… Find another bandwagon team

3. By eric c on May 10, 2014 | Reply

i love the pick. BA and tom moore have a mountain of clay to work with…i think he’ll work out…we’ll find out.

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Sweet. UNREAL athlete. Cards are well stocked at most positions and there was no one better left than what we have at every position… so take a “shot” like we did with Tyran last year. Cards are drafting character guys with tremendous athleticism and HUGE potential. Some will hit, some will miss, but thats true with every pick… so might as well take some chances with huge upside potential. LOVE this approach…way to go Cardinals!

5. By Scharf on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Louis,

Some fan you are, always pessimistic. This is the same coaching staff that picked up some gems last year. These guys get paid a lot of money to find these gems. Besides, we all knew they weren’t picking up a quarterback. If you look at this guy and his full resume, you will see he has experience as a tight end. They could be moving him there and utilizing him during trick plays. You have to look at the full picture before you just put your thumbs down and boo.

6. By alan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

not a fan of this pick. Arians probably blowing smoke as he says he has 3 quarterbacks already that he likes..

7. By Greg on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Great pick these guys are the best at developing QB’s and his upside is he could be a superstar tight End!!

8. By jonny on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Louis… you are wrong in so many ways… adding TE’s that are phenomenal blockers is going to bolster our offensive line…. I don’t think you comprehend what’s happening…..we are in no way of having any issues unless massive injuries happen.

9. By Buck on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Louis – Why don’t you find another team to bless with your doom and gloom?

10. By JohnnyBluenose on May 10, 2014 | Reply

another surprising pick. one must assume that Thomas gets a chance to play qb but maybe the guys calling the shots think his real potential lies elsewhere. we will see how this plays out. i see our nfc west opponents getting better. i hope we are getting better too.

11. By dylan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I think we could have gotten this kid in the 6th I think we should have went olb this pick just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

12. By steve on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I dont like this pick, most of these middle to late round project QBs never pan out (John Skelton) and I certainly think there were better impact players still there at pick 120 that could have come in and contributed right away. Thomas has poor accuracy despite his measurables and I think accuracy is a God-given talent that either you have or don’t have, it cant be coached up a great deal. That was Skeltons problem and both have almost the same size and measurables, maybe BA can work miracles with this kid but I’m skeptical.

13. By red c monster on May 10, 2014 | Reply

BIll Polian on Thomas: “you can’t teach accuracy.” John Skelton and Coach Wiz would agree. Not saying no to Thomas but why in the 4th round with at least 3 other QB with higher grades on the board still. We grabbed 2 6th Rounders in the middle rounds in a draft that Keim himself said would be filled with 1-2 round talent.

14. By clssylssy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I think most Cards fans are asking WHY? Well, for those who couldn’t stop whining about the Cards not taking a QB, now they have so??? While the Seahawks were beefing up their pass rush we were drafting somebody who was described as not being able to make good decisions and had poor accuracy??? LOL! to think of those who hated on John Skelton, at least he had a rocket arm and size, was fairly durable behind a nonexistent O-line, but was never developed. As was pointed out, often times these guys make good TEs and I have a feeling there is more to this pick than meets the eye. I’m looking forward to all of this being over so we can have the opportunity to see what was really behind this. The idea that this could be a sophmore slump for Arians/Keim keeps creeping into my mind as I wait to be “Wow’d” but another part of me says there is method behiind the madness! GO CARDS, LET’S GET TO WORK!

15. By georgiebird on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Big time ego pick for BA- (he can’t lose this one)
    With the pick of Logan Thomas:
    1) BA gets all the “draft a QB guys” off his back
    2) gives BA the chance to mold Thomas where no one else has succeeded
    3) guarantees that the Cards resign Palmer to maintain continuity

My biggest concern is the amount of time BA will spend tutoring Thomas trying to make this pick work. It’s a great story- drafting a guy with limitless potential who will be molded into the next Pro Bowl QB. These fairy tales, quite frankly, don’t happen to the Cardinals.

16. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Alright, we drafted another big TE. His speed and size in the red zone combined with Nicklas will be a total mismatch.

What? QB?? No way.

17. By red c monster on May 10, 2014 | Reply

@clssylssy. Skelton was cut from 4 different teams and remains a free agent. Oh but u know more than them, and the rest of the league that has decided not to pick him up. never mind.

18. By rod on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I hate this pick. I think he’ll supplant Lindley though. But whatever.

19. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Please do not blow smoke anymore about BPA. There is no way this is a BPA draft.

This is another need pick. But worse than that, it is an EGO pick.

As Mike Mayock said, the guy has 2 good games and 23 bad games.

So what BA is saying, I am a much better coach than the V-Tech coaches and I can put Humpty Dumpty together again (as Mayock put it).

There is zero chance you will convince me he was the highest rated player on the board. No way.

Well unless he is a TE. Now that would make sense.

20. By Gina on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Don’t be a blinded by the fact that we over-drafted at almost every pick so far – just because your a fan!…I am as much a fan as of any you, that said,

Passing on Jimmy Garoppolo (a real QB prospect, and I’m not a fan of a wasted 4th rd pick! or not taking Morgan Moses OT in the third, these picks Thomas and Brown were just plain bad…period. The safety I get it in the first, is ok, and that’s about it so far for this draft. Take off the glasses put down the Kool-Aid, this draft was a disappointment. I think we still have most the same needs we did when we started, enough said.

21. By Mike on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Sure this draft may be a little curious to us watching on the couch, but really werent there the same comments flying out last year with all of our picks? Seeing the kind of season we had last year and the fact that we would have been in the playoffs in almost any other division is encouraging to me. I have full faith in the coach and GM and am still super excited to see how much better we will be this year. Plus we have Cooper coming back this year. Its like an extra first round pick!

22. By Dylan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I get people are going to be mad at me because of what i am going to say but our last two picks have been huge reaches the qb pick was a huge ego pick for BA and so far the rest of the NFC west has out drafted the cardinals by a huge margin its not even comparable

23. By Dr. G. on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren – You will remember many posters here mentioned Thomas as their dream pick. Your fair assessment here is echoed throughout the league prognosticators. Do we have gamble on a QB, or did we just pick another TE with good ball-handling skills? Win-win? Moore hopefully can fix Logan’s accuracy and make him effective. Durability should not be a huge concern.

As for Arians’ comment: “Why? We have 3 pretty good ones.” I admire Arians as a good football coach applying the skills of the players, but he should take Keim’s lead on the press questions to remain vague or just work on the shoulder shrug saying nothing. The ha-ha, fooled you thing is unnecessary… again. This is all new to him as “The Man,” and we want him to be a fan & press favorite, not just the guy that tries to fool you when you are sincere with your inquiries…

This draft for needs is really coming around…still want to see who Keim may sign from FA…. Cards – Looking good to contend this year…. Be well…. And Thanks again for your efforts…

24. By georgiebird on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Sophomore slump for BA & SK seems to be the most poignant reference of the day. Last year things worked out well on draft day. This year it seems like BASK were outsmarted a bit and maybe a little snake-bit, too.

25. By wonderinwhy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

In my opinion we have some other holes that need to be filled. There is alot of talent on the board still and we took a project QB? It’s clear to me that they know something we dont about this guy and its their money. I hope this decision was a good one considering the division we are in.

26. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

georgie —

RE: Sophomore slump

I find it amazing that the draft isn’t even three days old, none of the players have even tried on a helmet and already everyone knows it’s a terrible class.

27. By Ron on May 10, 2014 | Reply

It’s not the end of the world if this doesn’t work out. It’s a project! Remember 4th rd draft pick.

28. By Dylan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

i love this website and how much info you bring to all us fans but sometimes i wish you would not be so afraid of losing your job or at least sometimes it seems like it because you will never say a bad thing about the cardinals you just spin it off in another direction

29. By jeffgollin on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Give him 3 years to develop.

Until then, pray that Carson stays healthy and/or Stanton and Lindley can hold down the fort for a couple of yars if called upon.

30. By Matt in ATL on May 10, 2014 | Reply

The difference between the great picks last year and the picks this year is that everyone knew the “steals” were steals. Who was really surprised when Tyrann Mathieu turned out to be a really good football player? As someone who saw a lot of Andre Ellington in college, it was obvious the guy was going to make an impact in the NFL. These guys — your Troy Niklas, John Brown, Logan Thomas — ugh — it’s like the Cards are trying to be cute with their picks, which is never a good idea. If I were to re-draft this, I’d have taken Clinton-Dix, Louis Nix (seemingly a perfect pick given that dan williams plays better when he has a good back-up, and then Williams could be let go as a free-agent to help pay Peterson), Kareem Martin (although isn’t he just an Alex Okafor clone?), and Carl Bradford (a poor man’s Ryan Shazier, from a program with a history of producing quality front-seven players).

31. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Dylan —

RE: Spinning

Fair.

Sometimes I wish those I interacted with didn’t act like the sky is falling when in reality, no way to know.

I am skeptical of the Thomas pick. But so what? He hasn’t even gotten here yet.

32. By georgiebird on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    re: Draft results
    The general response is that the draft hasn’t gone well for the Cards- I agree.
    This was a very important draft for the Cards being in the NFC West. The Cards did well in FA but have lost that edge in the draft. 10 wins will be difficult.
    In reality, you should ban any comments on the draft for at least two years- until the results are in – but thankfully for your blog, that’s not the way things are done.
    If everyone was positive about the draft, would you be the “wet towel” saying let’s wait a couple of years to see how these picks work out- think not.

33. By Dave on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

I find it amazing that you must have let Rod Graves sneak into the draft room! Especially – if you think this year’s draft is going well …

34. By Tucson Card on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I don’t understand the pessimism. We still don’t even know how last year’s draft class will work out.

Freakish athleticism seems to be the common theme with our draft class so far this year. I don’t have a problem with it.

As far as BPA vs Need, whatever, just draft good players.

35. By ChristianR on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Until we see what happens with Thomas and how Arians decides to use him, this draft isn’t as bleak as some make it out to be.
    Deone Bucannon looks like a nice SS who can hit hard and has the length to cover anyone. He is someone a lot of people here were high on, and now we have him. I’m happy about that.
    Troy Niklas is someone that was brought up a bit this off-season. I had a target on him as a good blocking TE with receiving skills as the cherry on top. A real Heath Miller type of player.
    Martin is a flexible kind of player. If he adds weight, he can play DE the way Campbell does. If he doesn’t and works more on his technique, he can develop into the pass rusher we’ll need when Abraham leaves. I like him because he can be a versatile player.
    If Brown was just drafted as a punt/kick returner, I’d be a bit upset. Happy that we’re looking to keep PP, Honey Badger, and Ginn healthy, but still upset. Brown is fast enough to back up Ginn, maybe faster. If he ends up having better hands, he could take Ginn’s spot at some point this season. Brown is good for his return skills and the insurance he gives us.
    I see Thomas more as insurance for Niklas and Carlson than I do as a QB. Maybe he does some work at QB, but in the long run I see him as a big-bodied TE.
    Let’s be honest: the Cardinals aren’t going to find someone in Round 4 who is ready to be a starter day 1. SS was the only glaring need heading into the draft. Veldheer and Cooper fixed the left side. We still have the chance to get Winston back on the right, but I honestly think Massie is a great player who just doesn’t catch on as fast as we would like. Abraham and Palmer are getting older, yes, but they’re still on the team with gas in the tank.
    I remember pulling my hair out last year when we drafted an RB in the 6th right after drafting another RB. I thought Keim and Arians were crazy for picking a problem child from LSU. Let’s have some patience and trust in the guys up front. I think they’re a lot smarter than we’re giving them credit for, and I think they know what they’re doing to make their team the best it has ever been.

36. By Dylan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren-

I understand this is your job is this is how you support your family. so yes if i was you id probably be doing the same thing but you know us fans lol and thanks for the answer

37. By Louisville Card on May 10, 2014 | Reply

We understand the draft isn’t even over yet, and if these players were selected in rounds where they could’ve taken them there isn’t anybody complaining…Almost every pick they’ve taken could’ve been selected one to two rounds later. I just don’t get this draft and it’s the first time in over a decade I’ve felt this way. I’ve posted many years ecstatic about the cards draft, but this years draft is leaving me disappointed. If the other teams in the division had mediocre drafts it wouldn’t matter, but they aren’t….At least on paper…

38. By dic kof va on May 10, 2014 | Reply

poor poor choice another i guy out of beamers poor choices. a loser just like the vicks. not a quality person.

39. By Big Ken on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Great pick! Dump Lindley.

40. By dick of va on May 10, 2014 | Reply

amen

41. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren and other fans,

As I step back, I could see the cards take a look at QB but then ask him to also play TE.

Tebow wouldn’t do that, but Thomas might. If he can develop into a TE, combined with TE Niklas, this could be a deadly combination. Two big 6’6″ TEs combine in BAs two TE system.

Hate him as a QB but as a TE, he could be a steal.

42. By red c monster on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren, its not that we think it’s a terrible class but its that we think there have been several reaches.

43. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Dave —

RE: Going well

I have no idea if this draft is going well. Nobody does.

44. By clssylssy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

@red sea monster…
    Skelton was never developed and like other QBs drafted by AZ saw his career die on the vine because of political discord and organizational politics. I don’t think I know better than others, but have been around to see talent wasted when players start out on a team that is a mismatch. At least these young men can say they had the opportunity to play in the NFL which is more than most. I hope BA can turn this guy into the next Big Ben but odds are against it. It appears a few others agreed with me and I’m sure there is more here than meets the eye!

45. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: TE

What about letting him try QB for a while. If it clearly isn’t working (two years?) you still have a guy who can turn into a quality fourth-round pick.

Again, I can’t get into the sky-is-falling mode (or even, we are going to the Super Bowl with this class mode). I never have been. It’s the most irritating part of the draft to me.

Who the heck knows?

Take your guy Tannehill. You still think he’s the answer? You don’t have to respond, because IMO, we still don’t know if Tannehill is or isn’t.

46. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

red c —

RE: reaches

That’s cool. I have no problem saying someone is a reach.

But again, I see all of the comments in totality. People are comparing Keim to Graves now, etc.

I just don’t get it.

47. By Dr. G. on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Ron – Just a 4th round pick? The 4th round can bring a proven player, not the time to roll the dice… Like JTDG, I am baffled with most of this… But, though I don’t believe all that BA says now, he was out there saying he was ready to play with what he had before the draft….

Sooooo…. He is probably trying to convince Keim to roll the dice on some picks in hopes to win the lottery… I can coach ‘em up, I tell ya! ((Speculative quote))

My fingers are crossed as the other NFC West teams work to improve. I hope we are ready for fire…. Looking to see how we are rated after the draft… Be well…

48. By Lloydo82 on May 10, 2014 | Reply

People need to calm down. I have faith in this regime as did everyone when the season ended. Thomas could be a quality starter given time, he won’t be thrown in like lindley, Skelton and Hall, he can sit behind Palmer and learn. If in 2 years it doesn’t work out, move on , it’s a 4th round pick and worth the risk in my opinion.

49. By red c monster on May 10, 2014 | Reply

re: Graves. yeah I have to agree with you there.

50. By rod on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Pretty sure we are set at TE, we didn’t need to draft Logan to play TE. I have backed this regime endlessly but after the first two picks I am uninspired.

But there is no guarantee that any of our picks would have been there at our next pick. And we won’t know how this all shakes out until the season gets going but I just don’t feel good inside.

But, with all that said, I saw some interviews with Deone on YouTube, he is very classy and a total team guy. And Niklas is one hell of a blocker. So……yeah there’s that.

Go Cards!

51. By Sean on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I think what everyone is complaining about (incl me) is that both Arians & Keim not only lied to us about taking BPA, but are coming across very arrogant, not only with their attitude, but with their picks. I certainly hope these guys are way ahead of the rest of us, but last year the front office & the fans were in sync with most every pic, this year not even close. If these guys are right & these pics workout, everyone will be happy, but if not, it should be fun! BTW, it looks like Licht was the architect for our last draft. just looking at what Tampa is doing this year….just my observation.

52. By Ken on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Can’t complain, we have an awesome teams. We didn’t even need draft picks, but the fact that we got them is just icing on the cake.

Some people are just never satisfied.

Can’t please everyone.

53. By red c monster on May 10, 2014 | Reply

“lied to us….” hahahaha. Darren Urban rests his case.

54. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Red C —

RE: Rests case

lol.

55. By georgiebird on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Maybe the bar has been set too high?
    Last year BASK had a dynamite year. The 10-6 record was great and the draft was equally outstanding considering Coop’s injury.
    This year, everyone was expecting SK to pull a rabbit out of the hat with every pick.
    Maybe BA & SK are victims of the very success they had last year.
    There are 31 other GMs and HCs trying to make it happen- sometimes the best player doesn’t win the poker game.

56. By grabling on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Practice squad!

57. By georgiebird on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I like BA. My nightmare moment is that BA morphs into Buddy Ryan. Cold sweats.

58. By joelhc on May 10, 2014 | Reply

LAst year we took shots that missed with DC and swope and they failed but we also had Ellington cooper and the honey badger who by all accounts are top10 for 2 or them and ellingtong a top 20 what club would not give up most of their picks for three 1 rounder locks and 2 in top 10 anyway in kiem we trust right i think we reached a little only because the front office feels like we could win a SB this year andthe reaches were not of the franchise killing nature so we will be loaded again next year. BTW kiem was ready to retire i doubt he sticks around after next season

59. By Daniel C on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I do believe in the picks BA and Keim is doing. I am sure they have a plan.

I think its nice they draft 2 WR to compete with Ted ginn. To defensiv ends because Dockett aint young anymore. QB you can teach a QB to be accurate and so on. but you can teach a QB to gain more arm strength. So if there is a man in the NFL that can mold Logan Thomas i believe its BA.

60. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Re; Tannehill

This guy has shown he can light it up. Last year he put up 4,000 yards and 24 TDs. He played behind the bullying line and the lack of targets and still produced.
    How would he have done with Fitz and Floyd ?
    I would take Tannehill any time. He showed serious improvement from his rookie year to this year.
    Please tell me that is not you argument for Thomas?

RE; Sky falling for Thomas

I am not joking here. I said they can take a shot at QB, but I think he is willing to work at TE from what I here (something Tebow wouldnt do). This guy can be a very good TE imo.

I have come on this board many times and talked about good , better, best. Thomas, after a few years, might become a good QB. But his best spot is TE.

I truly believe we will see him at TE this year.

BTW, don’t lump me with the sky is falling people. I will address my overall view of the draft on the next blog.

61. By Mike Ellingboe on May 10, 2014 | Reply

It’s not even that the average fan thinks it’s a reach, it’s that guys like Mayock think it is, so we mindlessly follow along. It would be a pleasant surprise if everyone would remember that Keim and Arians work for an NFL franchise, and the talking heads for cable networks, for a reason.

62. By Eric G on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Yep, just like every year, armchair coaches know more than then scouts and coaches who have poured over film after film on the players.

Anyone remember that Russell Wilson and Nick Foles were not highly rated at all in their draft (6th and 7th QBs taken in 2012)? Anyone want either of them? Let’s wait until we see what they can do on the field people.

63. By Dave on May 10, 2014 | Reply

joelhc –

Ever heard of a period???

The Cardinals management team carefully studies potential draft picks, focusing on character, talent, and ability. They do this for a LIVING! This group has done a pretty solid job so far. Spare the negative comments for when we actually have an idea what kind of NFL players we may or may not have. GO CARDS!!!

64. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Tannehill

I’m not making a Thomas argument with Tannehill. I’m arguing that you don’t know on Tannehill yet. Who knows what he would’ve done with fitz and Floyd, but that’s the point. I don’t know and neither do you. Maybe Tannehill is improving. But I don’t see anyone declaring him among the top QBs in the league either.

65. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

RE; Tannehill and Thomas

First, My opinion is, he will get a chance to play QB (as I stated twice above) but will become a TE for the team. I think you said, why not try him at QB for 2 years and then see what happens. I think we are saying the same thing except I am going an extra step of saying he could be a very good TE.

But Why dont I know about Tannehill? Would you take 4000 yards and 24 TDs for a second year guy who has no RBs and half your oline gone due to a scandal and a lack of a number 1 WR ? (which, BTW, are very similar to Palmers stats, with less ints)

Tannehill was productive at A&M. Flashed as a rookie (see cards / dolphins game) and then put up nice stats while just missing the playoffs in his second year.

Meanwhile, you have 3 years of gametape of Thomas and he has shown he is inconsistent and inaccurate.
    We have a great athlete who just hasnt been that good as a QB. Mayock said he had 2 good games and 23 bad ones.

In both cases, those are track records of who you are. You cant disregard the past and say we don’t know. We have a good idea who they both are. Can someone surprise? Sure. But not often.

66. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Tannehill

We’ll see. You may be right. Maybe Tannehill will be good. And maybe he’ll be what he is. Not saying he’s not a starting QB. But like you said, stats similar to Palmer.

67. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Eric G

RE; Armchair Coaches / Gms

I was on this board then and I remember several of the so called arm chair GMs begging for the cards to pick Foles and Wilson. I believe there was a lot more Foles , but They were calling for him.

If only those experts who make a living at it would have listened.

68. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2014 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Listened

This draft season alone, I’ve had the “armchair GMs” tell me the Cardinals should draft Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr, Garoppolo, McCarron, Mettenberger, Thomas, Murray, Boyd and Savage. Oh, and trade for Mallett.

69. By Coach K on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I think this was a decent draft considering our position in the draft. I think we could have traded down in round four and still landed Thomas and perhaps a 7th round selection, but overall I’m pleased. I think Thomas was actually a two player selection. If he cannot win a spot at QB, we have another Jimmy Graham tight end prospect who has played the position before. So it’s a win-win situation with Logan. I just think we could have traded down a few spots and still got him.

70. By georgiebird on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Re: great discussion
    This has been a very lively discussion on the draft. I have enjoyed the comments from guys who feel deeply about the Cards. Both sides have made their point.
    Hope it all turns out well for the Cards. Thanks for posting our views both positive and negative.

71. By Mike Ellingboe on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Darren/JTDG,

“It goes that way every year. You will always find the “armchair GMs” to pick someone right, because frankly, everyone gets suggested at some point.”

Truest thing said all day. I remember liking Gabbert, and John stumping for Landry Jones. Throw enough darts, and eventually something hits. But even Keim noted how much different it is when sitting in the big boy seat, and only having 6-7 shots to get it right, with 31 other teams providing interference, is a whole lot easier from the cheap seats.

72. By Mike Ellingboe on May 10, 2014 | Reply

You did leave a name out. Don’t forget the, “trade for Glennon” crowd that emerged when everyone ‘knew’ that Manziel was going there.

73. By John The Draft Guy on May 10, 2014 | Reply

If I had to guess, in every draft room, there are scouts doing things similar about a lot of players.

I heard Billick saying there were shouting arguments in the hall about players where he has been involved.

I think there are a few people on this board who know football and players and many who dont. I think you know who they are.

74. By Erik on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Holy cow, reading these comments is hilarious! These kids have not even played yet! Is there any more optimism in the world these days? First of all, sorry to disagree with you Darren, but I think Freddie Kitchens could beat out Lindley. I know he got thrown in a bad situation but I have never seen worse QB play, EVER! secondly, I seem to recall plenty of posts earlier in the offseason where people were drooling over this Thomas’s potential.

Let’s actually get to the season before we declare the sky is falling, as Darren said.

75. By br on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G —

I chose to reply to your post since you are a regular poster and i have always respected your insight DR G…unlike most of the draft bandwagon posters who only show up to discuss on her for the 3 nights of the draft and as far as im concerned there opinion is weak and mostly irrelevant …that being said if eveyone goes back in these blogs i am the first and most ardent fan of Logan Thomas iam ecstatic he is a Cardinal ( maybe a rd sooner than i have been preaching) but this guy had been moving up draft boards amd i had seen him ranked as high as #5 on the list of mpsts experts! As well mpat of his accuracy problems were due to HIS WR’S NOT BEING ABLE TO CATCH A DAMN COLD LET ALONE A FOOTBALL!!! THAT IS IT, NO OTHER REASON HIS ACCURACY SUFFERED OTHER THAN HIS RECIEVERS SUCKED, Im telling you bandwagon posters this guy is a gem and if by chance (albeit a very small chance) that he is not

76. By br on May 10, 2014 | Reply

(Continued fro abve)..
    The Cardinals QB of the future which he WILL behe is what i cal an “athfreak” he was an all-american TE out of high school who turned into top 10 QB in the NFL draft in a very short peripd of time he will learn behind CP fo a yr or even 2-3yrs then he will be the man!!! And if by chance QB dont work out he will alwys be a super weapon that can do it all, who are opposing defenses going to cover him with??? LB- to SLOW…DB-to SMALL!!! He can run the ball as well he just runs thru multiple defensive linemen, yes the BIG guys!! This is a GREAT pick for the Cardinals, but im willing to bet that not a single one of you bandwagon posters will come back on here in the future and admit you were wrong about L
    THOMAS, i will be waiting to feed you your crow…(sadly i will have to fimd moat of you on draft night, obviously the team doesnt mean crap to all you bandwagon posters, only showing up to post on draft night, yall are probably the same “fans” who blew up msg boards when Cards went to the SB…suddenly your all life long fans, until they started having down yrs, then of course you disappeared from blogs and disscusion forums!!! I will see all you bandwagon fans/posters for the 2015 draft, until then, be well.

77. By br on May 10, 2014 | Reply

JTDG
    I respect ypur opinion on all things Cardinals, you seem to do your homework and devote alot of effort to it. But in this case I have to disagree with you. Mark my words Thomas will be the QBod the future for the Cards, and a very good one at that! I have closely followed this guy since his third or fourth game in college, he impressed me from the first time i saw him, im telling you his lower accuracy #’s are his weapons or lack of weapons i should say…they all had a severe case of the dropsies! Here is a fact to ponder… VaTech has never (yes never) had a 1000yrd WR, and though I cant speak for years past, at least since before the Vick era, but from Vick on it is largely due to the fact they just couldn’t catch the dang ball, Thomas would spend the first half of every game throwing to multiple receivers trying to locate one that could hold onto the ball at least for the rest of that game, then next game the precess would start all over again, in other words he didnt have a favorite go to receiver for more than 2-3 throws/drops and then on to the next guy to see if he could hold onto the ball, it ripped his confidence to shreds, everyone will see the true Logan Thomas when he realizes that WR’s actually hold onto the ball in the NFL, then throw in his freakish size and out of this world athleticism and the Cards have the second coming of R. Wilson (not just as soon, he will need at least this yr to learn BA’s offense ( even the best veterans need time to master BA’s offense!) And if i’m wrong about the QB assessment he is still a athfreak and will be successful as a multi purpose offensive super weapon, but i see him as our cornerstone of the future at QB and nowhere else! Hey, at least with us being armchair GM’s we can never be fired for hitting or missing on a pick heh? ;) ps…i still respect your opinions and look forward to reading all your posts even though you, and many others, are WRONG about L. Thomas, and i’am right (of course!) LOL

78. By ChristianR on May 11, 2014 | Reply

JTDG-
    I usually agree with you, but we might not be on the same page with Tannehill. Josh Freeman threw for 3,592 yards and 25 TDs his sophomore season. Glennon threw for nearly 2,608 yards and had 19 TDs, and he was a few games behind everyone else in his rookie season (30-40 YPG less than Tannehill). And they had 6 and 9 INTs, respectively, during those seasons. Tannehill threw 17 last season. I’m not saying Tannehill won’t be a good or great QB. I’m just saying that he hasn’t been around long enough or shown enough for us to be sure. I would dare to say the same about Luck, RG3, and ever Wilson (let’s not forget how great that team is around him).
    Besides, someone has to get the yardage when your RBs struggle to get 10 yards in certain games.

79. By Aj on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Seriously guys, those who doubt Keim and Co don’t know what they’re talking about. They had a great draft last year (due to being in the top 10 pick each time) and the selections were amazing. This year people did their homework, making it impossible to find anyone without being labeled a reach. Logan Thomas is the definition of a project, but its something I’m willing to gamble on. If we miss, we have enough talent on the team to not have that 4th rounder make an impact, if we hit we get the QBOTF. Stop it with the armchair gms acting like they know it all. Trust in keim, this is HIS job and if it was yours I’d trust you too. Trust Keim, he has not once let us down.

80. By carlo milano on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Thomas had a great sophomor season and then he wasnt surrounded by good receivers.
    Look at the stats of tom brady this year with a mediocre group of receiver.
    If people dont get open u cant be accurate.
    Do u know guys how many receivers of virginia tech has been selected in the draft in the last 2 years?
    4th round is worth the risk.so lets wait how he pan out.
    I trust bruce arians,he has spend 30 years in the nfl,and he knows football better then his pockets,i dont think he is a masochist and drafting a player that cant be correctable

81. By Lawrence Nichols on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Last year at this point most Cardinals fans had no idea the potential of how the team would be, and now we have all the experts on this site who may or may not own their own business but somehow think they can manage the cardinals, from Mr Bidwell on down we have a great team and management, we have an opportunity to win it all, and still people whine! I don’t get it!

82. By clssylssy on May 11, 2014 | Reply

It appears that the national media has graded the Cardinal draft a “B”, same as the Saints, better than the Seahawks, not a good as the Rams “B+” or 9ers “A+” (I don’t quite get that one. I think we all had too much time to get too opinionated and emotional about certain players who had been subjectively graded by people outside of our organization who were knowledgeable about our scheme and needs. Winning games is what its all about and if we can accomplish that with a relatively unknown from Mayberry U, then I’m on board! This is going to be a tough road to the playoffs but I have confidence in our coaching staff whose sum total of experience equals more than any team in the NFL and probably the combined experience of our division. Can’t wait to see what talent is awaiting in the wings!
    GO CARDS!

83. By Big Ken on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Logan is going to be one of those health scratch guys for a long time. Which is a good thing. But really a big up grade over Lindley.

84. By dynasty1717 on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Not a fan of this pick unless they really plan to use him at tight end. How is it possible that the Cards have Thomas rated ahead of Tom Savage? He has just as big an arm if not bigger with more accuracy. Bill Polian is right, you can’t teach accuracy. I have a lot of faith in Keim. I really do think he is one of the best GMs in the league. But, it really does appear that this year he listened a little too much to BA and let him persuade him on a few selections. Also, it is clear that the Cards went only with need and not BPA. No one really knows right now how these picks will work out. I hope the Cards killed it and I am dead wrong.

85. By RonB on May 12, 2014 | Reply

dynasty1717 – Actually Bill Polian is wrong. Accuracy can be improved by proper footwork, ball grip and and release point to name a few. You can also improve accuracy by “F”ing things up as in Fitzs and Floyd. What can’t be taught is 6’6″, 250 lbs, 36′ vertical, 60 plus mph ball speed with 4.61 40 time.

GTDG – I don’t think you meant the Maylock’s Humpty Dumpty reference as a negative, but in full context it has a different meaning. “When I first saw him, I thought this is a potential first kid picked in the draft. But he’s been very inconsistent. I keep saying somebody is going to want to put Humpty Dumpty back together again because his skill set is amazing.”

Dylan – You said we could’ve drafted him in the 6th round, but with 6 quarterbacks drafted before the Cards selected in the 6th there were no guarantees.

For all you people that spout off about the TE thing, it’s a blessing in disguise. It will get him on the field while he’s honing his QB skills. Remember Joe Theismann was a punt returner while waiting for his chance as the QB for the Redskins.

Here’s is the bottom line. You have a high character player with the intelligence to be a three year starter even though he didn’t play the position prior to arriving at VT. You get a Cam Newton skill set with the bonus of an IQ.

86. By John The Draft Guy on May 12, 2014 | Reply

carlo;

RE; Sorry guys but every player drafted is a project.do u think bortles is a sure franchise qb?

ChristianR and Darren

Tannehill; The running backs getting 10 yards is exactly my point. It was on his shoulders with less than all pro receivers.
    His 24 TDs tied with Cam and was one less than Brady and one more than Luck.
    Remember, he played through losing his oline due to incognito bullying and was sacked 58 times and had no #1 wr while putting up these stats.

Give the guy his due. If Whiz would have chose him, he would still have his job and we wouldn’t be grasping at 4th round projects as our future.

aj, lawrence nichols, and others;

“Leave it to Keim. He is the professional. this is his job.”
    Did you feel the same way when Graves was the professional who did this as his job. How about the countless GMs before Graves that has allowed this franchise to have 3 playoffs in the last 31 years.
    Not saying Keim is bad. I liked his draft for what they wanted to do. But this follow them because they have the job stuff doesnt work for me. I’ve got my own eyes and own mind .

Mike Ellingboe;

I will own up to Landry Jones. I was desperate to find a QB. Anything but the same Kolb, Skelton, Lindley combo.But go back, as soon as we traded for Palmer, I thought there wasn’t a need for taking a QB unless you wanted to grab one later in the draft. If we would have grabbed Tannehill, none of that other stuff would have happened.

87. By Mike Ellingboe on May 12, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

A little simplified to say we should have grabbed Tannehill, he was the 8th pick overall in a year when we were picking 13th. But the point Darren made is spot on, when everyone is suggested someone will eventually be right. The reality for any front office, is they have maybe two shots at getting a QB right, after that they’re out of a job so it’s a little different when you can’t pick a dozen different guys.

88. By John The Draft Guy on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Mike,

I understand the point. Also, there was about three different conversations going on at the same time.

Darren pointed out Tannehill because he remembers I was so vocal about trading up and getting him. Someone wanted to move down, and came down for a 3.
    I thought we could have made that move.

I wasn’t looking at a dozen guys, he was the QB I wanted. But there were a couple of people that were against me and wanted Foles. Probably like most draft rooms.

Remember, this is 2012. Whiz has had a horrible year with Anderson in 2010 and then played 4 QBs in 2011. Cutting Kolb and drafting a QB made too much sense. I wouldn’t say anyone was picking from a dozen QBs. I was focused on one.

Now 2013 was different. I wanted some kind of change. Landry Jones seemed to me (and he still might) the best of the bunch available. And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results. With no QB, I lobbied to get him. I also proposed a trade for Palmer. When we landed Palmer, desperation left and I thought Jones might be a nice 4th rounder. I wasnt disappointed when we passed on him.

I own up to my mistakes. But I usually am true to the guys I pick also. I wanted to trade with the Falcons in 2011 and get the extra one and two. PP turned out to be pretty good. (I also thought he should be a FS like Ed Reed) I wanted Tannehill in 2012 and would have traded my draft to come up. In 2013, I wanted Kenny Vaccaro in round 1 and Armstead or Watson in round 2. (could you imagine if we had a SS and LT last year? – Playoffs) This year, I wanted Demarcus Lawrence in round one. I made reference to others if they fell, but D Law was my guy.

I’m not throwing darts and picking a dozen guys so I can be right. If I am wrong, so be it.

89. By Mike Ellingboe on May 12, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

When I say a dozen guys, I’m not only referring to QB’s. Let’s say we couldn’t swing a deal to move up to get Tannehill. What then? I remember you liking Mike Adams at LT. When you say you would have traded your draft, I’m guessing you don’t mean pulling a Ditka, but let’s say you swapped first rounders and gave up another. By not doing that, we now have Palmer, Floyd and Cooper. Nobody, not even Tannehill’s most ardent fans would trade those three just for him.

I get you follow college football and the draft pretty close, much more than the average fan, and to your credit your assessments are pretty good. But the main idea Darren is getting at, things don’t play out in reality they way they do when we’re creating our own mock drafts. Hence the reason they don’t listen to fans when making their picks. I would guess this draft threw Keim a lot of curveballs that he had to adjust to, and he was quoted as saying there were a few moves he wanted to make that didn’t pan out, so imagine a novice’s panic if they were left to make heads and tails of that on the fly. At the end of the day, we only have our egos on the line during/after draft day, the FO has six, sometimes seven figure jobs at stake. If a fan (not specifying anyone in particular) gets a pick right over a scout, it’s not skill as much as it’s dumb luck, or picking every player out there (again, not directed at you, I think we all have an idea of who I mean).

90. By Dr. G. on May 12, 2014 | Reply

br – my late response…. I have always harped on drafting a QB this year as you have been reading and got some ridicule because of what BA kept saying… I just think that BA kept blowing smoke to state that we are all set with what we have. I will take all he says with a grain of salt in the future…the little boy in him has fun with us and the press sometimes… I have to filter things now….

QB is a position that should be improved every year if possible. I just saw some other QB’s passed by that I though could be ready quicker… I am OK with Thomas coming here as I wrote. I am hopeful that Moore can coach him up this year to groom him for competition. He has all the tangibles ((not intangibles as some say)). And next year there are some good prospects as well… so not to worry.

II know the fans will welcome this pick because after camp, we will see that he will be ready to displace Lindley. Stanton has always been a stop-gap. And, as you alluded to, Thomas won’t believe what it is like to have an incredible receiving corps. His pre-season debut will bring the crowd to their feet…..And speaking of Corps. Semper Fi…. No thumbs down from me…

91. By John The Draft Guy on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Mike,

How does Palmer come in? He has nothing to do with the trade. You cant add in trades or FAs. We could have signed a pretty good wr for the 10 million Palmer is bringing in.

If you want to do that, A better comparison would be;
    Would you take Floyd, Palmer and Cooper or
    Tannehill and Eric Decker

I think many people take that deal.

But back to 2012. First, The rams traded down with Dallas. That is the price you had to beat. Would a 3rd and 4th been enough? YES. I know a 3rd, 4th, and 5th would have been. Add a 6th and 7th? I do not think the price would have been the next years one.

But, ultimately, if I had to give up 2012 one and 2013 one, which I wouldn’t had too. Yes, to get a franchise QB, I would have dealt Floyd and Cooper.

To have a young QB to be the face of your franchise who put up the same TDs as Palmer with less ints, with no run game and lesser talent at wr., who is 24-25 years old. The cards would have their guy the next 10 years.

If I dealt away 2012’s one, our 3rd , 4th and 5th. We could have moved up. Having Tannehill. Then 2013, I wanted one guy, Kenny Vacarro in round one and two guys in round two (Tackles) Watson or Armstead (which both were available. Those picks could have all been real, not mock.

As for losing jobs, Graves and Whiz would have infused hope with a new QB and saved their jobs. With their jobs on the line, they should have listened and still be collecting checks from the cards.

92. By Mike Ellingboe on May 13, 2014 | Reply

JTDG,

Some of the situations could have been real, yes. But there’s no guarantee that Tannehill would have saved anyone’s job. His results in Miami have been mixed, and as Whisenhunt noted we didn’t have the cast in place to support a rookie QB, so I’d say the end result probably wouldn’t have been a whole lot different. You’ve said he doesn’t have a #1 WR, yet Miami rolled out big money to a guy they think is, yet he had less TD’s there than where he came from. His offensive line sucked? During those seasons we’d be the last team to say we could have made that better for him. He’s been solid, but nothing like you’re describing.

I brought Palmer up to show why you don’t need to panic and give up a bunch of draft picks on an unknown. In fact, I think he’s a shining example of why you don’t. Now we’ve got a proven QB, and probable all-pros in Floyd and Cooper. It wasn’t just QB blunders that cost Whisenhunt and Graves their jobs, you know that as well as anyone.

93. By Dr. G. on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Lots of woulda-coulda-shoulda going on here. Hind sight is usually 20-15…

Personally, I am rooting for Moore to tune in and turn on Logan Thomas. This kid has incredible upside, and only a couple things to modify. I am not in the camp that believes he is not worth the effort. If he is called a reach, the reach is worth the grasp… He will be CP’s protege as I wanted all along… ((not necessarily the QB I wanted))… but definite progress at this position.

At least don’t have to hear BA keep saying he has all the QB’s and TE’s he needs…that has become a bit frustrating to try to filter out the BS….or BA….
    Be well Cards Fans…. Gonna be a good year! …