Washington again makes top 100 list

Posted by Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 – 10:59 am

The draft is over, so it’s time to hit some other subjects. The NFL Network is once again doing their list of the top 100 players in the league. The Cardinals got their first mention with linebacker Daryl Washington, who comes in at No. 96 (down two spots from where he was ranked last year.) Interestingly, the theme of the video is that not many know who D-Wash is. Obviously, that’s not a problem around the Cardinals.

In fact, all this video does is underscore how important Washington is to the Cards even with his off-field issues. It’s been a year since he got into trouble, first with the announcement of a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and then an arrest for assault. But the aftermath lingers, after Washington recently (and finally) had his court case play out. He received probation, but everyone now waits to see when and if the NFL decides to give Washington another suspension. Because the suspension wouldn’t take place until the regular-season, there is time before it would be an issue, but I’m sure everyone involved would like to have resolution. That includes the fan base.

With the departure of Karlos Dansby, Washington becomes even more important to this defense. If the Cards keep winning, it seems inevitable Washington will rise higher in the top 100 list over the next couple of years.

– One quick post-draft note: Teams have started to agree to terms with undrafted rookies, but the Cardinals won’t officially put their list out of players until Monday.

Tags:

31 Responses to “Washington again makes top 100 list”

1. By Mike Ellingboe on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Great video.

2. By ored on May 11, 2014 | Reply

nice to be acknowledged but being the #1 defense against the run and now a legit shot at the best pass defense also brings kudos to the whole defense and coaching staff…which brings me to.the offense,quit being the slacker,lol.

3. By steve on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Cards have signed undrafted rookies RBs Tim Cornett UNLV, Zach Bauman Northern Arizona, OG Anthony Steen Alabama and ILB Glenn Carson Penn State so far.

4. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1,

in the last post, I hope you didn’t think I was disagreeing, I wasn’t. I did appreciate your further explanation as I apparently didn’t understand.

So to better understand, what if I feel the order of needed positions is SS, DE, WR, RB, LT, in that order. I rank 1-15 at each and we pick 32 (my dream pick every year). Our pick comes up…

13 SS have been picked and only 2 DE, I have SS as most important in this the 1st round, would #14 SS be BPA & Need or would I be ebtter served to move to #3 DE as BPA & Need?

Or am I making this way too complicated. Perhaps the draft is complicated, but that’s a post for another discussin. Haha.

So do I understand, if I still have 2 SS left on my 15 and feel this round I need a SS, do I ignore all other positions and choose #14 SS on my board?

5. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2014 | Reply

So next year, I’m thinking (and time will be a factor) of making a top 120 board. Then applying it to the draft at the Cardinals draft pick positions as if I were on the board. (I’ll take the position of any trade ups/downs.)

Then rate my draft picks performance over the year (which means they’ll have to play at some point) and grading my draft to that of all the teams draft classes.

It would be interesting to see how I stack up against the professional scouts. I have a good idea of how I’ll do.. it’s a probably a real good thing I like my day job. Still…

6. By JohnnyBluenose on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren. I notice that the draftees have already been assigned uniform numbers. Is this a league requirement that all draftees be given numbers right away or it it just the way our Cardinals do things? I thought Bucannon might be assigned #24 but he is #36, at least for now. Is there any particular reason why Adrian Wilson’s #24 has not been worn since his release?

7. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose –

RE: Numbers

Since the rookies will be getting on the field soon, you want them to have numbers ASAP. The draft picks need to pick before the undrafted guys come in, so they have first dibs.

As for 24, I think there is essentially an unwritten rule that it will stay off the choice list right now. Bucannon picked 36 — I was there when he did — and seeing that No. 1 picks usually have jerseys made for sale ASAP, he will be staying 36 barring something unforeseen.

8. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2014 | Reply

who votes for the top 100? I have thought it was the players.

As a side, in my last comment I spoke of a top 120 board, this wouldn’t be a mock draft as I don’t care to try and figure out who other teams are going to draft. I actually think a 120 board would be easier… well, easier to make, not easier to post. There’d be some posting logistics here to figure out as I want to remain ya’lls friend. Haha.

Maybe just post my top 32 left on the board in each round, but even that could be too much. Maybe I’ll just post my pick after each round. Maybe I’ll figure this out in next year’s draft in June (or am I wrong in thinking Goodell will push the draft back to June. Yeah, I have till next July’s draft. Haha.)

9. By Dynosoar on May 11, 2014 | Reply

is there a list somewhere of who wore what numbers, listed by number so we can see a numbers legacy? No need to have one created as this is pure curiosity.

i.e. Edgerine James wore the same number as Otis Anderson, #32.

10. By Andy Kw on May 11, 2014 | Reply

If OT Eric Winston hopes that he can come back to the BirdGang, then I believe that he will be back.

11. By Steve88 on May 11, 2014 | Reply

HOG……………..WASH!!!! THIS, in my opinion, is so BOGUS!!! No way that Daryl Washington is the 96th best player in the league. Are they trying to tell us that there are 3 players better than D-Wash on EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the National Football League????? NOOOO WAY!!!!!! 31 teams x 3 players per team = 93 plus 2 Cardinals is 95 players and then Daryl Washington?/ Yea right. I know this is a league wide tally of players……..I know they don’t take the best 3 players from each team, this is just a different way to see this top 100 list AND maybe by seeing it this way it will show us how far fetched his #96 ranking is.

12. By JohnnyBluenose on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Darren. thanx for the explanation.

13. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Bringdown on the weekend: Logan Thomas has an amazingly large base of NFL related people and VaTech people who say this guy is a person of humiliy, character and knows his football X and Os. If anyone deserves a shot, its him from what I’ve read. That BASK again, focus on hig potential and high character. Allowing myself to now think, “what if” BA is right;)

14. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: Top 100

It is my understanding it is a player poll, but I’ve never run into players who acknowledge voting.

15. By Darren Urban on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: All-time numbers

Media guide, starting on page 303

16. By Corgon on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Dropped two spots since last year…..yeeeeah right.
    They don’t know who he is…..yeeeeah right. (Or then why are you voting?)
    Sounds like again an objective list of the 100 best players. Please. And Matt forte is nr 91 :) I hope they left Jimmy Graham out again. Just to be sure.

17. By red bird of death! on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Misses the first 4 games and makes the top 100 what kind of bad ass is this?

18. By Dynosoar on May 12, 2014 | Reply

thanks.

19. By Big Ken on May 12, 2014 | Reply

I know many of us fans thought Bucannon was a reach, but I think he would have been gone by the time we picked in the second round. And then what? We needed a SS bad.

20. By cardsalltheway on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Had Cannabis not been wrongly determined as an Evil/Devil drug in America(which triggered other countries to demonize the simple and harmless drug) and by the NFL then maybe alcohol wouldn’t have ever become the magical dream/fantasy girl/”ecstasy” drug/depressant the NFL promotes too many times during EACH and EVERY NFL GAME YOU WATCH EACH and EVERY WEEK DURING the SEASON.

21. By D on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Well, as one of the knuckleheads who has been bothering MR. Urban on guessing mock drafts for the last 4 plus months for the Cardinals, this past few days has been surprising…I may or may not agree with all of the picks but I guess we all have to have faith and confidence in our scouts and Mr. Keim.

My main question is at Right Tackle. Does the coaching staff feel good with who they have or are they planning on adding a vet like last summer once additional cuts are made? At least they have a 270lb TE to help whoever maybe the starter this year at that spot..

22. By Andy Kw on May 12, 2014 | Reply

If you check all of my mock drafts since the first one I made, you will see how big of a fan I am of SS Deone Bucannon. Defensive Rookie of the Year!!!!!

23. By azqfan on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Cardsalltheway,

Please take your legalize pot crusade somewhere else. You do not have a right to smoke pot. The NFL, Josh’s EMPLOYER told him he could not do it. He did, will be suspended, period, end of discussion. He either has a drug problem or is simply too stupid, either way it is his fault, NOT THE NFL’s or society’s.

24. By CN Punk on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Is there any good reason we are the redheaded stepchild of the NFL? And ESPN treats us like the plague when it comes to talking about our team? I swear we are the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL right now…

25. By Big Ken on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Let the roster churning begin!

26. By Scott on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Agree 110% with you azqfan, no excuses for pot, your a grown man I don’t care if it’s “legal” or not…and by the way Daryl Washington is way underrated, #96, come on!

27. By T. Stone on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Nice article and fixed video, but how did the comments go from rookies, Again with the Mock Drafts, numbers, hippie lettuce and stepchildren. D. Wash has proved he is a GOOD, not a great football player yet, and he has conducted himself poorly and is about to be suspended. AGAIN. And not for the same thing either. Top 100? Not a chance. There is more to being a football player than getting skinny and hitting your gap. Over hype for an overrated player that wont make the right decisions in life. A year ago he was sitting in a jail cell with two counts of aggravated assault hanging over his head. I hope he gets it together for the child’s sake.

28. By Mike Ellingboe on May 14, 2014 | Reply

AndyKW,

If we went through all your mock drafts we might be finished in time to start commenting on our 2015 picks.

But as noted earlier, props to you on Bucannon. I feel like I remembering seeing his name a time or two from you.

2. Jun 19, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Fitz still impresses peers for Top 100 spot