Peterson will be smart during contract talks

Posted by Darren Urban on May 13, 2014 – 9:48 am

First of all, Patrick Peterson isn’t going to hold out. If that was a question, Peterson stepped on it and killed it when asked about his contract extension situation yesterday.

“There won’t be no holding out for me,” Peterson said. “I want to continue playing football at a high level. … I have two years left so there’s no sense holding out.”

Peterson was holding a presser yesterday to talk about his charity dinner and foundations (all details are at patrickpeterson.org) but inevitably it turned into a discussion about the Pro Bowl cornerback’s contract status. Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman just got a big contract extension, Browns cornerback Joe Haden just received one Tuesday morning, and these days, most consider Sherman, Haden and Peterson the top three young cornerbacks in the game. Peterson is going to need an extension, and while the Cardinals have some time after exercising Peterson’s 2015 team option — hence the “two years left” — it’s coming sooner rather than later.

Peterson, though, understands the process. He talked of working on something “bigger” than just a contract, and insisted he’ll be patient.

“I think I’m definitely well-deserving of a new contract, but at the end of the day it’s a business,” Peterson said. “You’ve got (salary) cap numbers, you’ve got other guys you need to take care of, the rookie pool. All that stuff falls into perspective, but at the end of the day I know (GM) Steve Keim, coach (Bruce) Arians and Mr. (Michael) Bidwill, they want me here for the long haul.”

That’s true. Ask Keim and he couldn’t act more confident that Peterson’s situation will eventually get worked out. Will it get messy? I don’t see it. Peterson is a smart man. He works in the big picture, not unlike teammate Larry Fitzgerald. Fitz has had a couple of uncomfortable contract situations (always with the leverage over the team, but still) and he has deftly worked around any bad feelings it might have caused not only with the team but the fan base. Peterson knows a holdout wouldn’t go over well with anyone and it probably wouldn’t make a huge impact either given how much time is left on his deal.

Instead, he’ll work within the system. And in the end, like Sherman and Haden, he’s gonna get paid.

“They drafted me for the long haul,” Peterson said. “I want to be that Adrian Wilson of the organization, that Larry Fitzgerald, that Darnell Dockett. I believe I’ve done some great things here early in my career, and I want to be here for a while.”

PetersonContractBLOGPOST

Tags: , , , ,

30 Responses to “Peterson will be smart during contract talks”

1. By SteveG on May 13, 2014 | Reply

PP has been a stone cold pro from the day he entered the NFL….

2. By John The Draft Guy on May 13, 2014 | Reply

It’s nice to hear a player take the logical approach to new contracts. Leave the emotion out and treat it like a business transaction.

He is right. He will get a huge contract at the end of the rainbow. Meanwhile, he has to try to find a way to live off the 5 million he is getting now.

This young man is in good shape.

3. By D on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Peterson should get a huge deal…. it will affect the future of Larry with his QB cap number…those Pat’s rumors won’t die since they didn’t exactly Mr. Brady in the draft with WR help…

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Seems like 2015 could be the passing of the golden baton from Larry to Patrick. If Larry comes up with a huge year, maybe they can both stay and get paid but dubious you can pay two guys that much.

But 2014 shaping up nicely. Looking over the Roster, sure wil be interesting to see how all these pieces fit. Also seems simpler than last year, fewer unknowns, but still plenty to sort…

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Re Stinson: heard Gambo say he’s slow off the ball; also read Kyle’s post and quotes of Stinson say he had groin surpgey into 2013 and played with sore groin all year. Taht’ll lsow you. Maybe once again BASK got a better look under the hood than some.. assuming Stinson heals…

Darren: Any word on his health now? Seen him in there?

6. By Big Ken on May 13, 2014 | Reply

No surprise, he is deserves a nice deal.

7. By Darren Urban on May 13, 2014 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Stinson

He was out there today. It’s light so hard to tell but I’m guessing he’ll be fine.

And with all due respect to Gambo, I don’t necessarily see him as a foremost football scout.

8. By clssylssy on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Thank you for writing this article and putting the rumors to rest begun by Mike Florio and carried by Bleacher Reports. Peterson is a smart guy and by taking the position that he is taking, and putting the team first, will most likely increase his market value in the process. We have a great group of players, probably the most unselfish guys in the league and I sometimes think they are taken for granted by the front office. Through the years this “team first” spirit and rare integrity has kept many fans coming back to support a team through tough times. I applaud the Bidwilll family for setting the pace with their focus on humanitarian efforts. I’m a big believer in karma and PP willl most assuredly reap big rewards down the way. Gotta Luv these guys!

9. By D on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Stinson’s role will be to replace Rucker in a year or two, as Martin’s job will be to replace Dockett..but the rookie will need to add about 20-25 lbs so he can anchor the DT spot and not get pushed around by those 300lb plus OL dudes..

Gambo’s expertise is hockey and boxing, not football….

10. By mal on May 13, 2014 | Reply

I understand that guys want to get paid, but only up to a point, and then it just gets stupid.

How many tens of millions does it take to be happy, for them and their kids and their grandkids to be set forever and ever? How many cars does one person need to own, or how big a house?

Wouldnt it be refreshing for someone to couch the ego — just a little bit — and accept a few million less instead of trying to squeeze out every single damn last penny, so that the team can be stronger, so other guys on the team can get paid, too?

Say, like take 35 million guaranteed instead of 45 million, and not worry about being called THE highest paid player, so the team can stay together and win and keep more other top-end players on board?

Now that would gain total admiration, and earn REAL bragging rights.

11. By Darren Urban on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Less money

No one else does that. Owners don’t do that. CEOs don’t do that. Big-time actors don’t do that. Why should NFL players?

12. By Hen=Card on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    A little off subject but do you think Jonathan Vilma would be lured to Arizona for a veterans minimum or something similarly to John Abraham’s deal?

13. By Hen=Card on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Mal also it’s the business, it’s like the Browns & Dansby fiasco, Dansby would be loyal to the Cardinals but whoever has the most money wins the prize. It would be the same thing if Pat became a free agent, next thing you know is that Oakland is offering that max contract that you couldn’t, that’s why he has to be the highest paid corner, (and he knows the system better then any newcomer that would take over for him). Example, Larry Fitzgerald.

14. By Andy Kw on May 13, 2014 | Reply

-I am loving the draftees of Deone Bucannon and Troy Niklas. Now that I am watching the practices of John Brown & Walt Powell, I am quite impressed. But if Walt Powell is going to stick, he is going to have to battle with WR Jaron Brown and WR Brittan Golden for the last spot at Wide Receiver.
    -Since QB Logan Thomas is going to be the project for this team, QB Ryan Lindley is most likely going to be shown the front door. Lindley has improved a lot since the Whisenhunt Era so it would be a shame.

So this is probably how the final 53 man roster will pan out:
    QB: Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, Logan Thomas
    RB: Andre Ellington, Jonathan Dwyer, Stepfan Taylor
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Ted Ginn Jr, Josh Brown, Jaron Brown
    TE: Troy Niklas, Rob Housler, John Carlson, Jake Ballard
    OT: Jared Veldheer, Bobby Massie, Bradley Sowell, Nate Potter
    OG/C: Jonathan Cooper, Lyle Sendlein, Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika, Ted Larsen,

DL: Calais Campbell, Darnell Dockett, Dan Williams, Frostee Rucker, Alameda Ta’amu, Ed Stinson
    OLB: John Abraham, Matt Shaughnessy, Sam Acho, Marcus Benard, Alex Okafor, Kareem Martin
    ILB: Daryl Washington, Kevin Minter, Larry Foote, Lorenzo Alexander
    CB: Patrick Peterson, Antonio Cromartie, Jerraud Powers, Justin Bethel, Teddy Williams, Bryan McCann
    FS: Tyrann Mathieu, Rashad Johnson,
    SS: Deone Bucannon, Tony Jefferson
    ST: Jay Feely, Dave Zastudil, Mike Leach

*In replacement of Tyrann Mathieu until he returns, Rashad Johnson will be the starter and the team will sign S Orhian Johnson from their practice squad and will return him to practice squad after Mathieu returns.

8 Man Practice Squad: WR Walt Powell, DT Bruce Gaston, RB Zach Bauman, OLB Glenn Carson, S Orhian Johnson, TE Darren Fells, WR Dan Buckner, DT Justin Renfrow

15. By Scott on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren-
    Because they should be playing the game cause they love in, no because they make 6-8 figures.

16. By azqfan on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Mal, I guess then when you are offered a raise you must turn it down, since you are obviously not living on the street, and therefor do not need it? You just don’t like the fact these guys make a lot of money. You do NOT seem to grasp that their careers could and do end with one play. I am also guessing that you FAIL to realize that the life expectancy of NFL players is 54 years old. 54 YEARS OLD. They need to make every penny they can, they deserve it.

17. By Darren Urban on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Scott —

RE: “Love”

I love my job. But there’s no way I’d do it for free. And yes, I think I should get paid more.

This is a job. You may love your job, but it’s still a job. It’s a fantasy to say “they should be playing the game because they love it.”

18. By Darren Urban on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Hen=Card —

RE: Vilma

Not sure why they need him at this point. Does he have anything left?

19. By mal on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Yeah, Darren, this is our same old discussion you and I have had several times over the years.

There must be a middle ground between my starry-eyed dreaming and your defense of the ‘me first/money is everything’ attitude.

This is what I will say: it’s not all black and white.

On my side — every year there are guys who sign a lesser contract to stay with a team or a coach or a scheme or location, just like there are actors who sometimes work cheap on small films they believe in. On your side — I do agree and understand — this is a dangerous game and these guys have one shot to get the fat paycheck.

There are big arguments to be made about how things are, and how they should be — like should there be an individual salary cap similar to the team one, so teams could split the pay more equally and afford to keep teams together — but those things are way too big for this little blog.

So your point is well taken, and I usually just keep my mouth shut about this stuff. But then there’s Patrick.

He’s coming onto a humongous QB-worthy payday real soon, and I’m afraid of which players might have to get cut in order to pay him. Okay, I get it — thats the business — but as some of my favorite players get cut and are walking out the door, does Patrick really have to keep telling me how great he is? How long has he been here, and he’s telling us he’s done great things?

You know who’s great? Larry Fitz, who always deflects praise, or Adrian Wilson, who I bet would have played for free if they just woulda kept him on the roster, or all our old vets — like Abraham or DD — who have had long, really great careers but who dont tell us how great they are, or Tyron who says he wants to be the best, but never that he is the best.

So, anyhow — oh, well. Thats just my take.

20. By mal on May 13, 2014 | Reply

azqfan-

This is the argument that most folks make — that you or me or any other working stiff wouldnt turn down a raise. Of course thats true. If I’m making 30K per year and another job offers me 40K, sure I’m going to the new job.

But us normal working folks struggle to make ends meet, and I dont think it compares with millionaires. If you are earning 40 million a year, then I think a couple million more or less doesnt matter.

So what do you do — you tell your agent to go ahead and push for a few million more just so you can have the biggest contract at your position, even if they have to cut good players from your team to pay you?

Come on, man, you already got 40 million. Isnt there ever enough?

21. By Scott on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren-
    I understand they have too get paid but i just don’t get how they could be paid 10-20x more than brain surgeons, or get paid more than scientist working on the cure for Cancer. I’m just throwing that out there, but if there is somebody who deserves the money, it would be a hard worker like Patrick Peterson.

22. By steve on May 13, 2014 | Reply

Darren: Like your work, please dont “hold out” for more money, lol.

23. By ChristianR on May 13, 2014 | Reply

I feel like Vilma wouldn’t be a good fit for the Cardinals. May be some bad blood between him and any Cardinals who remain on the team from when Warner was targeted in the bounty scandal, such as Fitzgerald, Sendlein, or Dockett.

24. By ored on May 13, 2014 | Reply

some would play for the love of the game,that’s how it all started,but it would in no way be the quality of todays game.these guys work hard getting stronger,breaking down film,etc.,it’s a full time commitment and then most often they’re replaced by the next wave of younger players every 4-5 yrs.,it’s not like that they will be kept around and given a salary.that’s why they have rules and guidelines,salary cap,etc.to keep things orderly and competetive.just like the players,the management must be on top of their game or get stuck with high draft choices year after year.

25. By rick on May 14, 2014 | Reply

Some CEO’s actually DO take less money, although it is usually in economically down years.

26. By Darren Urban on May 14, 2014 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Black and white

Totally agree there. Definitely shades of grey.

27. By Darren Urban on May 14, 2014 | Reply

Scott —

RE: Getting paid “more”

How? Because of you. And Mal and Andy Kw and everyone who posts here and millions more. They get paid because there are less than 2,000 pro football players (counting practice squads) and so many million watch and care about the game.

Think of this too: The players are getting less than they were before the new CBA.

It’s about supply and demand.

28. By Darren Urban on May 14, 2014 | Reply

ored —

“Love of the game”

Do you realize the first Heisman trophy winner didn’t go into pro football because he wasn’t going to make enough money?

There’s a difference between playing only for the love of the game and loving the job you have.

29. By Darren Urban on May 14, 2014 | Reply

Rick —

RE: CEOs

Maybe some. I can also find a ton of articles talking about higher-ups/CEOs taking huge bonuses at the same time they are laying off workers or making them take paycuts or payfreezes.

30. By br on May 16, 2014 | Reply

Mal

Im with you man! These contracts are ridiculous nowadays, Im probably going to get bombed on here and get called every mane in the book and then some, (which is cool, im a big boy i can handle it! Spending 22yrs in the Marine Corps and now being “unretired” to head back for another tour in hell, plus the fact that i was married at one time has very well prepared me for dealing with internet commandos and the name calling…since I do have a unique talent for pissing people off! LOL) I’m sorry but PP is NOT wprth 60mil, no athlete is, unless you are signing him for 20 yrs!!! He should make less than Sherman (YES im a LIFELONG CARDINALS FAN going back to the ST LOUIS days, amd I despise the Seahawks!) Sherman is overpaid as well, but PP is a cover cprmer he is below average ) putting it nicely) against the run! I believe the Cardinals should use the franchise tag on him when the time comes that way he has another year to improve agianst the run…the offer a long term deal that pays him as a top 5 corner, but no more! If he cant accept that at that time (2017, i believe) then we can get quite a few high end players with that kind of money, so cut our losses and move on. Bottom line I love PP in Cardinal Red but not as highest paid CB, not until he drastically improves his run defense.
    Ok boys..
    Let the bullets/mortars/IED fly!