Cardinals add ex-49er, Bear Tupou

Posted by Darren Urban on May 16, 2014 – 2:32 pm

The Cardinals added one more player to the roster Friday after being awarded defensive tackle Christian Tupou off waivers. Tupou was just waived by the 49ers, who had just signed him in January to a futures deal. Last year, he played for the Bears after coming out of USC as an undrafted rookie in 2013. In five games, the 6-foot-2, 300-pounder had three tackles.

That now brings the Cardinals’ roster to the maximum of 90 players, meaning that further signings in the offseason will require a corresponding release. It makes sense with the organized team activities beginning Tuesday to have the full compliment of 90 (although, once again, this work is all voluntary, so guys may not come from time to time.)

Christian Tupou

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Cardinals add ex-49er, Bear Tupou”

1. By D on May 16, 2014 | Reply

D
    Any thoughts on if Dan Williams will be offered a contract after this year?

Thanks

2. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2014 | Reply

D —

RE: Dan Williams

I think that’s very much up in the air right now. Ta’amu will also be an FA (RFA, I think).

3. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on May 16, 2014 | Reply

Tupou a good get off the wire.

Looks like a lot of competion at every position. Some pretty good players with potential will get cut again. Tupou a good example of a pretty good player who was “this” close, and now he’s got another shot.

Btw, that pcic of Ballard, Carlson and Niklas.. wow, 3 pretty stout TEs. Carlson may have had concussions but he’s no punk.

And WR Brown, quick quick. Mature guy too.

4. By Hen=Card on May 16, 2014 | Reply

Any idea if Alameda Ta’amu is recovering from his injury, and if he could be ready for the start of training camp?

5. By jeffgollin on May 16, 2014 | Reply

We still don’t have a handle on the progress of Ta’amu’s rehab. A little insurance couldn’t hurt.

6. By Jack on May 16, 2014 | Reply

Cards were one slot away from having Nix fall to them with their 2nd pick in the 3rd round. Too bad it didn’t happen.

7. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2014 | Reply

Hen —

RE: Ta’amu

Alameda continues to rehab. I would doubt he is ready for the start of camp.

8. By Kenny Wilson on May 17, 2014 | Reply

Do you think Logan Thomas will beat out Ryan Lindley

9. By shannon robinson on May 17, 2014 | Reply

Another Polynesian! Three Islanders is the right number. They are enormously strong and fierce in combat – as I always say they grew up too close to the volcanoes. Thanks again for the pictures – gets us right in there with the guys. We have lots of new talent for my favorite, Coach Pratt, Pass Rush Specialist.

10. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2014 | Reply

Kenny —

RE: Thomas

I think Thomas will be on the roster.

11. By Andy Kw on May 17, 2014 | Reply

According to overthecap.com, we have $5,578,815 remaining:

So here is how we can utilize the cap:
    -Sign OT Eric Winston: He provided the most stability as a Right Tackle last year as an Arizona Cardinal. We can bring him back for cheap. (1yr $2.5M)
    -Sign MLB Erin Henderson: This guy had a breakout season last year with the Minnesota Vikings. His 6-3 244lbs frame is perfect for the Arizona Cardinals. He does have some off the field issues but he wants to be given another chance. He can make a big difference for the Cardinals and I think he can play to Karlos Dansby’s level or even better. (2yr 3.5M)
    -Sign SS Adrian Wilson: I do not care how unlikely he will join the team but his valuable experience as a mentor would benefit both Strong Safeties Deone Bucannon and Tony Jefferson. (1yr $900K)

12. By clssylssy on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Glad to see Keim is working to beef up our defense (thought it was in pretty good shape to begin with) as I see Bleacher Reports has us rated behind the Saints (??..really?) at number 5 after the draft. I don’t put much stock in that as they have the Broncos at #2 and we all saw how easily the Seahawks shredded them. Of course that was last season but still can’t believe they could have experienced that sort of miracle due to the draft and with no practice!) I mean, the Seahawks shredded practically everybody including the Saints! Are we going to be that much weaker without Dansby? I can hardly believe that but these sorts of roster changes are what makes a team so unpredictable from season to season. But, being ranked behind the Saints is just plain insulting….Come’n Man, we have better coaches! And, I’d put our LSU boys up against the Aints any day! Sometimes, this kind of dissing can serve our defense to GET ANGRY and prove they dominate. GO CARDS!

13. By Keith on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Andy,

That site doesn’t account for the rookie contracts that need to be signed. And I feel that PP will get a new contract soon and that probably will take up the excess and then some.

14. By Andy Kw on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Ryan Williams is in denial. The Cardinals have given him chance after chance to prove himself. He has failed the opportunities that he received so he better not talk trash about our team.

15. By Chuck 1 on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur,

I’m a little late (vacations take precedence) in responding to your post on a previous thread, but here goes.

First I didn’t think that you were disagreeing, just asking for clarification, with my way to prepare a list of 120 potential players to be drafted. However, others did disagree.

But, you pose a question (copied here to refresh fans’ memory), which I’ll try to address.
    ————————————————-
    “Chuck 1,
    So to better understand, what if I feel the order of needed positions is SS, DE, WR, RB, LT, in that order. I rank 1-15 at each and we pick 32nd (my dream pick every year). Our pick comes up…

13 SS have been picked and only 2 DE, I have SS as most important in this the 1st round, would #14 SS be BPA & Need or would I be better served to move to #3 DE as BPA & Need?

Or am I making this way too complicated? Perhaps the draft is complicated, but that’s a post for another discussion. Haha.

So do I understand, if I still have 2 SS left on my 15 and feel this round I need a SS, do I ignore all other positions and choose #14 SS on my board?”
    ————————————————-

My response:
    First, some background:
    In the first round of the 2014 draft, players who played the following positions were chosen:
    CB: five
    WR: five
    OT: five
    OLB: four
    QB: three
    DE: Two
    DT: Two
    FS: Two
    SS: Two
    ILB: One
    TE: One

As you can see, there were no more than five players chosen at any one position.

I haven’t researched the first round of prior drafts, but I think that it would be highly unlikely if there were positions that had high single digits or 10 or more players chosen.

Therefore, I don’t think that 13 SSs (or any other position) would be taken in the first round as you suggest. However, ……………..

You don’t mention how many WRs, RBs or LTs have been chosen. Maybe our top rated WR, RB and LT are still available.

In any case, when we choose 32nd (we can only hope), if our top rated WR, RB or LT are still available, Keim (and you fans) would have to decide if he/you wants one of them in that order of preference (BPA/Need) or to choose the third rated DE. He should still be a quality choice. Needless to say, choosing which position to draft is a complicated and unpopular (in some cases) decision as we have learned from our fans’ comments.

That’s why Keim makes the big bucks and we’re just arm chair GMs. :)

PS: Sorry for the length of this post, but the question is not a simple one to answer.

16. By Dr. G. on May 18, 2014 | Reply

AndyKw – Williams will not talk smack…rest assured. He may boast of the Dallas opportunity… That is not smack…

As for the CAP, do you remember Darren reminded us of the College cut money (($5mil)) coming June 1st… That is in play…I think… Keim has a good feel for this time of year….. Next year he’ll be in better shape yet….. later…Cards Fans…

17. By big red on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Hey Darren, is it true at AW might be coming back.

18. By Darren Urban on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: AW

Why would you say that?

19. By clssylssy on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Other teams hire former players (Steelers come to mind)as assistants to the coaching staff all the time and I wonder if the Cards would ever consider bringing back Adrian Wilson in this capacity? Reading your piece on Dockett made me think about how much some of our players make up the very fabric of this team, their leadership and value as role models and mentors for the players coming up doesn’t cease when they reach an “expiration date” that is more determined by their Cap figure and is subjective than their performance. I can’t imagine a team without Docket, Fitz, Campbell,Peterson etc., our Captains on and off the field, who have been so loyal to this team and provided the stability some franchises only dream about. Surely, Mr. Bidwill realizes that these guys are the ones bringing in bank as you look around and see whose jerseys are everywhere you go, While it is a fact of life that the greats will at some point, have to move over for the next guy, that doesn’t diminish their status, contributions, or their place in the hearts of the fans.
    It would seem a win-win to add some of these guys to staff . On the other hand, it seems coaching staffs are like governmental politics and every time there is a change, it’s a “clean sweep” with few surviving holdovers. Marquis players like Dockett, Fitz, Campbell, Peterson have weathered numerous regime changes because they have so much to contribute and are beloved by the fans. It would seem that if we are to be establishing an identity as a team in the forefront of annual contenders, adding people like Adian Wilson etc. would be a step in the right direction as it’s always more valuable to learn from the voice of experience.

20. By br on May 20, 2014 | Reply

DTL —

I think Ballard will surprise everyone, he did an excellent job in the short time he had last year. Dont be shocked if he emerges #1 on TE depth chart out of training camp. Put the “rook” on the right side to shore up blocking and send Ballard out, if our o-line & TE’s can give Mr Palmer just a second more in the pocket look for an all- pro year!

21. By br on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Jack —

I’m pretty convinced they would NOT have picked him if he was there.

22. By br on May 20, 2014 | Reply

100% agree, you dont take a QB (other than late 7th rd or UDFA) to just to cut him 4 months later.

On a side note, if they do cut Lindley is tjere amy cap savings to speak of? Also did we save any cap money (or lose money) when we cut Ryan Williams?
    Thanks in advance Darren!

br

23. By Darren Urban on May 20, 2014 | Reply

br —

RE: Williams/Cap

24. By Dr. G. on May 21, 2014 | Reply

clssy – Clean Sweep? In all fairness, the Cards were a pretty good team in 2012 without a QB that could guide the Offense. That was what all the frustration was about. BA was handed a good remaining roster of which he kept 27 of 53 valued players that I counted. That is probably just shy of what any team would keep during the churn year-to-year. Some of the 2012 roster were just guys that BA had a preference to replace with “his” guys…and Keim was amenable.

When BA came in, he fixed the QB problem for now. Additionally, he was able to dump some dead weight, create better competition, and pick up some good FA’s. His draft after a fair review was just OK with the exception of Mathieu and Ellington. It becomes better when Cooper starts this year….

Most fans will agree that the QB position has kept this team from excelling since Warner left. It has been a revolving door of mishaps and the reason Whiz is now learning the Tennessee 2-step….. Later

25. By Dr. G. on May 21, 2014 | Reply

clssy – My last was for players. You are correct that total replacement of the coaching staff would be a must to prevent mutiny. The trainer may be an exception… That’s why BA had to get a new DC though he was highly touted…