Ryan Williams lands with Cowboys

Posted by Darren Urban on May 18, 2014 – 8:25 am

The Cardinals released Ryan Williams last week, and Saturday — after a tryout with the Dallas Cowboys — Williams tweeted out that he was going to be signing with Dallas. Considering the marketplace for running backs these days and Williams’ history of injuries, it really was a remarkably quick move to another roster. The top three running backs on the Cowboys’ roster right now are DeMarco Murray, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar. Murray is the unquestioned starter, but there’s a chance Williams could burrow his way in the mix.

Whether Williams sticks around into the season, and whether he is playing at all when the Cardinals go play the Cowboys in Dallas Nov. 2 is a whole different story. But it will be intriguing to see if fresh surroundings can jump-start the former second-round pick’s career.

“I’ve just had bad luck,” Williams told DallasCowboys.com. “Things happen. I believe everything happens for a reason. I’m here to prove that I can be a running back that can come back from these injuries. It’s tough when you’re constantly reminded about it. When you’re constantly doubted about it. I believe in my own abilities. When I’m healthy, there’s no one who can tell what I can’t do.”

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “Ryan Williams lands with Cowboys”

1. By LadyBird04 on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Good luck to a good kid who had two NASTY injuries. Hope the new situation works out for him.

2. By Pete Dowdle on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Glad to see Ryan Williams get a shot on another roster. I don’t know why he failed to crack the line-up with the Card’s last year, especially when Menedenhall was out. But Arians made that call, among many others, and the Card’s had an unquestionably good season, all things considered: I’m not going to question the coaching staff too much on personnel moves. Hopefully, Williams can look at his time in Arizona as a valuable learning experience, and last year as both that and a time to get all-around healthy, and then take to Dallas all of that and the potential never realized in Arizona, and make a wonderful career for himself. Good luck, kid! I hope you do great there… except on November 2nd!!

3. By red c monster on May 18, 2014 | Reply

burning bridges will leave you stranded on an island. to make matters worse, he went to the cowboys. lol

good luck lil sweetness, i still wish you the best… but look in the mirror for reasons first.

4. By Big Ken on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Yes and he has had plenty of time to mend. I hope he can do something in the NFL.

5. By clssylssy on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Hope Ryan sees his talents come to fruition in Dallas. He always seemed like a good guy who got some bad breaks to start his NFL career. Hope a change of scenery will be a new beginning for him and feel like the Cowboys made a good signing. Time to turn the page on a new beginning! I personally don’t understand how so many of our fans can be so vicious and ugly toward one of our own, but guess that is the ugly side of pro football and the nature of a lot of “fans” across the NFL. I figured he’d get picked up but thought it would be by the Titans.

6. By lg on May 18, 2014 | Reply

yea when we play the cowboys we gone show you something you should already know WE BRING THE NOISE BIRDGANG FOR LIFE!!!!!

7. By Cactus jeff on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Fitz looks great, I predict this to be his best season. Cooper too small to play G, concerned, very concerned, play small get hurt.. RT ugh! Sign Winston now so Palmer can stay upright and Fitz can dominate.

8. By G Witt on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Good luck, I hope you have a successful career, just not against the Cardinals

9. By Dylan on May 18, 2014 | Reply

i have a sneaky feeling this kid is going to come back and bite us in the ass

10. By johnwimmer on May 18, 2014 | Reply

When Mendy was injured, Williams got no playing time. That’s all that is needed to know. Palmer will be handing off to Taylor and Dwyer, and handing off and PASSING to Ellington and probably not thinking much about Williams. This team needs guys who can play. One time BIg Red head coach used to say a player’s best attribute is availability, and not talent. Think about that one for a bit.

11. By Corrin on May 18, 2014 | Reply

Ryan WIlliams….he showed flashes as to why he was a 2nd RD pick…I can still recall that hit/injury against the Packers…my opinion is perhaps worthless but no question the young man when healthly could ball. Whats as equally important is a players work ethic and community involvement while a part of the team while dealing with adversity…all through camps /practices/social engagements over the past 2 years Ryan was accessible and spoke often about the fact that all of his efforts were to show the Arizona fans that he wanted to be The Guy and he was doing his damn best to be that…my son met him at John Lotts Camp in 2012 and Ryan autographed his hat….big deal right? Well the following year we attended Lotts camp again and when it came my son’s turn to met him Ryan Williams responded…you were here last year. I signed a hat for you….my point is this…while a member of the Cardinals Ryan Williams was engaged and worked his tail off to prove his worth…his stats wont reflect the effort or the desire to succeed as a player. However, Ryan was successful as a young man showing others the spirit to prevail and not give up. I wish him luck…and for those that jeer he might wear a Star on his helmet…hopefully you remember cheering for Emitt….

12. By Coach K on May 18, 2014 | Reply

I hope he does well.

13. By Cody Zarr on May 18, 2014 | Reply

“for whtver reason” has been tangible here and there to those paying attention. Don’t get me wrong, I hope the young man does well, but the tweet in and of itself speaks volumes as to why he’s not on our depth chart.

14. By Sean on May 18, 2014 | Reply

I wish Ryan would concentrate on playing instead of talking…I don’t get it, he subtlety blames everyone else for he lack of playing time upon leaving here, and his Twitter says he’s ” the best rb that havent played in 3yrs!!” REALLY??? Maybe no one told him, but football is played on the field, & being humble goes a long way… ESPECIALLY with a career like his, where all he did was collect Cardinal money. The Cards gave him plenty of chances to crack the starting lineup, but he always had something wrong with him. I went to many training camp practices last year, & the 1 time I saw him actually practice, he looked scared when they were doing protection drills & a linebacker knocked him on his a**. Ryan should quietly make the most out of this opportunity with Dallas, because if he doesn’t make it there, he will be out of the league.

15. By Rugbymuffin on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Who ?

Anything interesting happen with the Arizona Cardinals today ?

How about some news about the fight for the 4th running back spot on the roster?

16. By cardsalltheway on May 19, 2014 | Reply

I wish him all the best and thought he should’ve gotten some playing time last year to see what he could’ve done. But we don’t want to possibly get trade value for any of our guys now do we, not even when we know such as in this case that Williams could’ve been trade bait(obviously wasn’t wanted) being the highest paid RB on our team.

The last time the Cardinals traded anyone(with a name/non-draft pick) was…?

17. By Axael Lugo on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Ryan William wish you the best!!!! you did show a lot of talent when you came here and hope a healthy career

18. By Travis on May 19, 2014 | Reply

I really wanted to see him play. I remember his rookie year when he was lightning quick and shifty. Boys’ got no neck! He is a beast!
    Wish you the best Sweetness, maybe you should think about contributing elsewhere like special teams, then maybe the staff won’t think you are a lazy primaddonna

19. By JAKE on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Who cares the guy is a scrub

20. By erik on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Jake is right. People seem to have imaginary memories of him. I’ll remind you, even for the few games he was healthy he had no break away speed and he fumbled numerous times!! See ya dude!

21. By ored on May 19, 2014 | Reply

still thought he should have seen the field last year,we paid him,had an opening when mendehall was injured,least we could have done was let him play to increase his worth in a trade,as it was we got nothing for him and coaching staff will be questioned if he breaks out in dallas.not saying we should have kept him once he got in BAs’ doghouse,but try to maximize his worth at least,as hard as it is to trade and get extra draft picks without losing out on a prize,we could have at least tryed that angle.

22. By JAKE on May 19, 2014 | Reply

He is scared to take a hit and cant block…. I just dont see the down side to him leaving when we have guys like Ellington and Taylor.

23. By johnwimmer on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Ored, it’s just as likely that the team opted NOT to play Williams during last season, even when there were apparent opportunities, because the didn’t want anyone to see what damaged goods could look like. Let the customer buy the merchandise, and if they notice something amiss, they can bring him back up to the returns counter with their purchase receipt.

24. By Scott H on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Mixed feelings about this. I would love to see him get healthy and do well just because he seems like a good kid who works hard and keeps getting roadblocks thrown in front of him. Seems like he just wants to play some football and it would be nice to see him get to do that. However….

,,,,geez, after we Cardinal fans invested so much hope in this kid and got nothing back….how can ya root for him to give another team what WE wanted from him??? And the COWBOYS, of all teams….do’h!

Know what? Let him become the starter, let him tear it up for about 8-10 games, then let him decide to retire on the spot for some totally in-explicable reason. I could be happy with that.

25. By br on May 22, 2014 | Reply

Cardsalltheway

You can bet the FO had him out there as trade bait before, suring, and afer the draft….no team is going to trade for a RB who has been injured his whole young career, especially severe, career ending injuries, they all knew that sooner or later (probably sooner) he would be released, so why give up anything when you can get him for free. I assure you the Cardinals tried to trade him for next to nothing, but teams were not going to bite because they knew he could be had for free. I would be curious to know if Cowboys were his only call, i would venture to say yes they were his only offer, that should clue you in on what his trade value was…teams werent beating down our doors with trade offers.

2. May 19, 2014: Breakfast Links: Marshawn Lynch making a movie about Marshawn Lynch | Spiked KoolAidSpiked KoolAid | Football News, Analysis and Discussion