Dockett, Stinson and the circle of NFL life

Posted by Darren Urban on May 19, 2014 – 10:27 am

At some point, Darnell Dockett’s time with the Cardinals is going to come to an end. I’m sure he is hoping we are still a few years away from that, but with a 2015 salary of $6.5 million and the fact he will be 34 by that point, we’ll see how that impacts the decision-making by that point from the front office. Dockett is not unaware of such discussion or possibilities. Regardless, in that context, the veteran tweeted this out today:

Stinson, of course, is the fifth-round draft pick out of Alabama. And yes, it feels like Stinson (below) was drafted to give the Cards not only depth now on the line but a line of succession post-Dockett. It is important that, given those realities, Dockett is willing to help. It is not unlike the words spoken by Calais Campbell last week to me about helping out another draft pick, Kareem Martin. (Logan Thomas praised the quarterbacks for the same help.)

Campbell’s situation is a little different than Dockett’s right now, but the idea is the same — veterans willing to work with the younger players at the same time roster spots are difficult to keep. Dockett remains frustrated to this day that the veteran defensive linemen on the Cardinals when he arrived as a rookie in 2004 did not want to mentor him the same way. It isn’t always easy — remember, Denny Green installed Dockett, a third-round pick, as a starter from the day he was drafted. That tends to foster hard feelings. But if Dockett is serious about giving Stinson aid, it’s a big benefit for the team and continues to show exactly what the Cards have built within the locker room.

StinsonBLOG

Tags: , , , ,

33 Responses to “Dockett, Stinson and the circle of NFL life”

1. By beardinals on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Dockett is the real deal!

2. By Andy Kw on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Darnell Dockett, make it happen. :D

3. By Colt on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Dockett is obviously a winner and does what winning demands. Much praise for breaking a cycle of angry vets being bad/sad examples for the younger guys. You are a leader amongst men Darnell, and I will never forget the things you have done for this franchise and this city. I hope you decide to retire here somehow, the birdgang wouldnt be the same without you.

4. By Dining Dudes on May 19, 2014 | Reply

true professional and team player..

5. By SteveG on May 19, 2014 | Reply

I don’t believe for one instant that he thought this way, but Docket just gave the team another reason to pay that salary next year….Kudos Doc,,,,

6. By ryan on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Rip it up this year DD! You deserve a ring…and to get it at home would be awesome. you have another solid 5 years

7. By erik on May 19, 2014 | Reply

This is why I love Dockett. I really do think he will take a pay cut in the future (since I doubt teams will be willing to break the bank for him) and stay with the Cards to the end. Assuming he remains somewhat productive. I can really see him doing well in his later years as a Bryan Robinson/Frostee Rucker type player.

8. By dan on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Hopefully Darnell will renegotiate his contract as he gets older so that he does not become financially obsolete.
    A bit off point, I wanted to say that I think it would be counter-productive for the Cards to have Kareem Martin put on weight and bury him in the trench. I think the better thing to do is to have him LOSE weight in order to be as fast as possible, and utilize his speed and basketball agility in space, at both LB positions. Didn’t Arians allude to this idea?

9. By Chad on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Dockett, as much as he plays the part of trouble maker and “wild child”, is actually anything but. He has been a model player, a picture of health, a hard worker and fiercely loyal! Aside from a few questionable tweets, pictures and animal purchases he is perfect. I must admit that I expected that he’d slip up with the law or chase the contract by this point in his career, but instead I am happy to have my doubts proven wrong. I am the one that judged incorrectly.

10. By T. Stone on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Many of examples of bad teammates. DD is not one of them obviously. I remember Farve when asked about helping Rodgers saying its not his job to teach him how to play QB. Good Karma coming your way Mr. Dockett. There have been many Classless Cardinal players I have posted about before ( Boomer,
    Joyner, Clyde Simmons, Lomas Brown) Just to name a few of my most hated. It takes a real man to see the hope and dreams in the eyes of a young man and be willing to help because you want them to succeed and reach their full potential.

11. By Hammy on May 19, 2014 | Reply

When its all said and done, Dockett has been loyal to this team through thick and thin. He will be a in the Cardinals Ring of Honor some day. Actually wanting to help the team find his successor even though he knows his time is almost up.

12. By Darren Urban on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Martin

All indications, including comments from Keim and Martin, are that eventually Martin will be primarily a 3-4 end.

13. By joelhc on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Even with all the shenanigans I think Darnell Dockett is one of the greatest assets the cards have. He has taken a backseat to being s superstar so that we can lead the league in rushing D by taking up lanes and allowing our LB’s and Safety’s to get most of the sacks. If you don’t believe that watch how pedestrian Dansby looks this year in cleveland and watch how good whoever takes over for him looks.

14. By Rich on May 19, 2014 | Reply

ya gotta love 90

15. By Dr. G. on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Dockett has always been one of my favorites. He has delivered under occasional criticism and has been a consistent motivational force for the D-line. Looking for #90 became a habit of mine always noticing that he never took a play off. He surprised sometimes as he ran a QB down from behind… I wonder if he will have an opinion to Stinson on the dreds since he cut his last season… Good luck to the Rookie….

joelhc – Astute observation – I am not one who regrets the exit of Dansby…. we will hear less of the constant bragging now… As you will, I will be watching the defense for the Browns. He will be the “Blamer” this season… A new nick name…

16. By ored on May 19, 2014 | Reply

docket always had people 2nd guessing him,myself included,when he would follow a different drumbeat,but all was good when he would be the football player we wanted him to be,he never was one to fit in a box,but always showed his loyalty and committmant to the game,glad he is a card,lol.

17. By djjackson81 on May 19, 2014 | Reply

It’s called take a pay cut stay in AZ or your on another team on a vet mininmum starting over in a new system. Talk is cheap Dock.

18. By JohnnyBluenose on May 19, 2014 | Reply

@Dr.G and joelhc…..i don’t know how Dansby will do this year but I expect him to play well and I expect Cleveland to be more competetive this year and hopefully that translates into one or two more victories for them. Their fans, like ours, struggle for respect and I wish them well. But don’t forget how well Dansby played for us last year. Sure, he had help but he earned every one of his dollars and I think he will be missed this year, especially if Washington is suspended for a few games. Losing Washington early last season cost us a play-off spot. It could happen again. Minter has been waiting to play and should be good against the run. But he is basically a rookie and may still have some things to learn…..things Dansby already knows. Hoping for a good start and then keep going, Cardinals.

19. By stevekinergroup on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Simply when someone speaks of the great Cardinals Defense they are speaking of the leader of the Team Defense and that is DARNEL DOCKET.
    A True professional.

20. By shannon robinson on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Let’s see, Bucannon = ADub; Kareem Martin = Calais Campbell; and Ed Stinson is twins to Darnell Dockett! Thank you for the legacy draft picks.

21. By CreditCard on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Dockett just showed Cardinals nation what leadership is all about

22. By Andy Kw on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Darnell Dockett will be inducted into the Arizona Cardinals’ Ring of Honor along with Adrian Wilson & Larry Fitzgerald. He provides the winning attitude which we all like. With Carson Palmer having a better grasp of the system, playoffs would have to be guaranteed.
    For the first 8 games, Carson Palmer threw:
    –174/284 61.3% 1913yds 10TD 14INT Rate: 74.8
    8 straight games with at least 1 interception. 5 games with 2+ INT
    1 game with 300+ yards thrown.

In the last 8 games, he threw:
    –188/288 65.3% 2361yds 14TD 8INT Rate: 95.4
    4 games with at least 1 interception. 2 of the games with 2+ INT.
    4 games with 300+ yards thrown and 2 of the games with 400+ yards.

We should have every reason to be optimistic about this season. We are playoff bound. And possibly Super Bowl bound.

23. By Vrip on May 19, 2014 | Reply

The Cardinals are loaded with amazing talent, great role models and all around good people. Glad to have this team!

24. By ronnie on May 19, 2014 | Reply

I am a cardinal for life! I also am a huge die hard Darnell Dockett fan, and to see him in any other uniform but az cards would be like a knife threw the heart. Dockett lives, breathes and bleeds az cards . It would only be the right thing to do by retiring him as a cardinal…….. Plus, I think we all know he has alot more football left in him!!!!! Dockett is a TRUE leader ,and his actions speak that. AZ CARDINALS Front office please here these words from a true loyal fan!!!

25. By EDijkstra on May 19, 2014 | Reply

Yeah, I love DD too.

26. By jeffy1951 on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Darnell, Thank you for your loyalty and your occasionally dominant/usually consistent play ON the field. Thank you for making me chuckle at your ‘eccentricities’ during the off-season and most of all, thank you for being a good Cardinal. When the time comes, I would love to see you WEARING a ring when you get IN the “ring”

27. By cardsalltheway on May 20, 2014 | Reply

It appears Dockett or someone has led many voters here. I’ve never seen so many “up” votes before so quickly.

Other than some of his past tweets(I don’t follow him or anyone) Dockett seems to be a good guy.

28. By Zuk on May 20, 2014 | Reply

When Todd Bowles had Dockett absorbing double teams in order to let the linebackers make the plays, he didn’t pout like Albert Haynesworth (who had just signed a 100 million dollar contract), he stepped up and did what was best for the team. THAT”S when I knew we had a “Team-First” superstar. I’m proud to be one of your fans!!!

29. By mdcards4life on May 20, 2014 | Reply

When it is all said and done and his career comes to an end, Do you think he will make the Ring of Honor? I believe he has left a legacy not only at his position but also as a leader for his teamates. I am blessed to see 3 future Cardinal Hall of Fame Ring of Honor (Adrian Wilson, Darnell Dockett & Larry Fitzgerld 10+ yrs as a Cardinal) in my time and hope many more to come.

sorry Darren i was getting off track lol , again do you think he did enough to make it into the Cardinal Ring of Honor??

thanks darren for all your insight!!

30. By Zuk on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Correction on above post: It was Ray Horton, not Todd Bowles…

31. By Eric G on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Yep, still looking for something I don’t like about Mr. Dockett. It’s a hopeless quest. You are gentlemen fine sir.

32. By Darren Urban on May 20, 2014 | Reply

mdcards —

RE: Dockett/ROH

We will see on that.

33. By br on May 22, 2014 | Reply

I still remember screaming and cursing at my TV when the Cardinals were on the clock in the 2nd rd that yr and DD was still on the board when we selected Dansby I about threw my TV out the window! (Although Dansby turned out to be a pretty good pick…tells you what I know, huh! :) ) I just knew DD was a goner to some other team and knowing my luck some division rival would scoop him up and he would haunt the Cards for years. I about went into cardiac arrest as the Cardinals 3rd pick kept getting closer and closer kept screaming at my TV (seems to be a pattern here!!) for my Cards to trade up and snag Dockett, I just knew he wouldnt be there for us in the 3rd he was a 1rst round pick in alot of experts eyes!! When we went on the clock i about lost my voice screaming for them to pick Darnell (like they could hear me or some crazy sh$% like that) but i knew what we or some other team was getting in DD (i was a huge Bobby Bowden fan and followed Florida St as closely as my beloved Illini) Even though I will deny it is me typing this…when I heard DD was the Cards pick I actually plopped down in my recliner and cried! (Only did that one other time in my life, when I came home on my last day of service after 22yrs of taking off my uniform and boots, most of those yrs in that very chair that i still keep around, but i realized i would not be putting my uniform on any more! Guess the joke was on me for that one, never dreamed i would get recalled to active duty like i just did!!) But if I would of had my way Darnell Dockett would have been the #3 overall pick ( no Fitz, who the heck is Karlos Dansby??? LOL) You can see why no NFL team has me listed as GM on there websites huh? But all 3 turned out to be great picks for our beloved Cardinals!! The 2004 draft has to be among the greatest if not the greatest for the Cardinals!! It would be no contest except for the fact that asise from Smith in rd 5, all our other picks fell off the face of the earth and did nothing in the NFL most are out of the league and have been for yrs, i think A. Smith is still a DE in the league right? Anyone know the “where are they now” on the 2004 draftees?