Washington waits for NFL decision

Posted by Darren Urban on May 20, 2014 – 1:28 pm

Daryl Washington was on the field in his usual starting inside linebacker spot for Tuesday’s opening of the Cardinals’ organized team activities. Afterward, he said he was like everyone else, waiting to hear what the NFL will decide for his fate following his plea agreement last month on an assault charge.

“I can’t really worry about it because it’s something that’s going to happen,” Washington said of a possible suspension. “I can’t say I hope nothing happens. Something is going to happen and I am a little worried. But I am just ready for a decision to know where I stand. It’s a waiting process right now.”

Washington has been through this before, after finding out last year that he would serve a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. In that case, though, Washington knew exactly what was coming in terms of length. The unknown in this instance makes the waiting more difficult.

“You know about being prepared, but you still get nervous about the situation, whether it’s going to be one game, two games, five games,” Washington said. “All I can do is focus on what I can do, which is go out and try and get better every day.”

“I’m ready to have the situation over with,” Washington added. “I’m focusing on football and it’s good to be out here with my teammates.”

DWashBlogUSE

Tags:

31 Responses to “Washington waits for NFL decision”

1. By j on May 20, 2014 | Reply

i dont think any suspension will happen, this was a civil matter that has been handled by the court.

2. By ored on May 20, 2014 | Reply

would be nice if he just recieved a warning that any further problems would be dealt with more severly,let the past lie and learn from it,here’s hoping he keeps his nose clean.i would hope at some point these young hotheads would start to recognize what they are jeapardizing,spend your whole life becoming the player that you are only to waste it with poor decision making,time to man up and be as good off the field as on it.

3. By Dynosoar on May 20, 2014 | Reply

I’ve got my tin foil hat on here. I believe… truly believe we have a Super Bowl calibre team (I also know there’s still 16 games to play and the roster isn’t done churning and there will be injuries etc.)

It’s a great feeling as a Cardinals fan to think not only do we have a legitimate shot at getting to the Super Bowl after only a few years away, but it’s Home Field Advantage if we do.

Will the NFL ever allow that? I don’t know, but a four game or so suspension at the beginning of our season will certainly not help us get there.

OK, tin foil hat is off. Man it was getting hot. Haha.

Regardless, I’m sure looking forward to seeing some Cardinals football this year. Let’s have fun during this years Super Bowl run!

4. By shannon robinson on May 20, 2014 | Reply

I am sending my letter to the Commissioner in support of this fine young man. It would be worth the effort since we all know him the best as we’ve seen him in our community.

5. By Scott H on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Hate to say it but practically everything he said is part of his problem. I know, he said what pretty much any pro athelete in his situation says. There is a script and they all pretty much read from it. Fine. But look at the statements. What do they all say?

“I can’t really worry about it…”

“All I can do is focus on what I can do and try to get better every day”

“I’m ready to have the situation over with.”

“I’m focused on football…”

I hear no statements expressing regret for his actions or about being responsible for them. All I hear is someone who just wants his legal situation resolved so he can go back to playing football.

Well, Daryl, I think you DO need to worry about it because there is a problem here and the problem is YOU. YOU are responsible for the situation you are in and you CAN and you SHOULD be focusing on what those problems are.. You wouldn’t have to be worried about what decisions the legal system will make if YOU weren’t putting yourself in front of them. And as much as I love what you can be as a football player, maybe football is not the only thing you need to focus on.

This should be about more than just waiting for a decision so you know where you stand and have the “situation” over with. That just sounds like someone who wants to get back on the football field but the football field is NOT where you are having problems. So maybe while you are waiting, you should be doing to address the “situation” so the “situation” might not keep repeating itself.

And, BTW, this is not just about YOU. Other people were harmed by your behaviors, that is first and foremost. But while you are waiting for a decision, so is the Cardinals organization, so are your coaches and teammates, and so are the fans. And, frankly, I think we’ve had enough. Maybe WE would like to just focus on football, too. THAT would be a lot easier if you could stop causing trouble.

6. By Tracy on May 20, 2014 | Reply

I’m thinking serious super bowl chances.there is something very eary about this year’s team,staff,decisions.any real cards fans gotta be ready to burst inside. As for Washington ? He’s human..look at our honey badger..GO CARDS !!!

7. By red c monster on May 20, 2014 | Reply

I would hope the suspension is no more than 2 games but I just dont get the feeling it will be that little. Pacman Jones got a whole year in 2007 for assaulting a stripper and 4 games the following year for fighting a security guard. Dwash is no Pacman.

Cedric Benson got 3 games for MISDEMEANOR ASSAULT, which was reduced to just one game. The punishment was set after Benson was given a break after getting into a fight at a bar but then he got into another altercation with a roommate leading to the suspension.

DWash’s situation was not like Benson’s either. Yes, his plea deal of an aggravated assault would become a misdemeanor upon successful completion of his 1 yr probation. However, the ex-girlfriend suffered a broken clavicle amongst other injuries during the altercation. That is going to be one of several significant factors in considering Dwash’s punishment.

I hope the NFL feels Dwash has been genuinely been contrite and shows him some leniency. Im not sure they will.

8. By red c monster on May 20, 2014 | Reply

@ Scott H

read this article regarding your questions of Mr Washington’s moral composition:

arizona-probation-assualt/8057881/

You will note the Judge himself acknowledged Washington was being remorseful.

We have all been in a situation where we committed a wrong that anticipated some form of retribution, but we were so sick of dreading and worrying over it that we found ourselves longing for it to arrive so that we could begin moving on with our lives.

9. By georgiebird on May 20, 2014 | Reply

The Panthers, Chiefs and Cardinals are predicted to have the biggest drop-off in wins from the 2013 to the 2014 seasons. In fact, the Cards over/under number is 7.5 in 2014.
    So while there’s a lot of talk of SB, most Cardinals fans can make a lot of money if the Cards just have a .500 season. Let’s face it, there’s not a lot of wiggle room if the Cards are going to repeat their 10-6 record.
    So for all those cutting DWash any slack, I’m here to say- It’s time for DWash to grow up and keep his nose clean- he definitely doesn’t have the team’s best interest at heart. We can’t afford many setbacks.

10. By cardsalltheway on May 20, 2014 | Reply

j,
    “i dont think any suspension will happen”

Duh, I don’t know about that j.

“ored”

Talking out of both sides thy mouth.

“The unknown in this instance makes the waiting more difficult.”

But he could’ve known the “unknown” by now if he had really wanted to. No sympathy from me Daryl.

“I’m ready to have the situation over with,” Washington added.

Gosh golly gee wiz, after 1 year your finally ready? Just know that we’re aware that you stalled the court system as that was your plan so thank you Mr. Washington sir. All this sympathy for Daryl, jeeesh!

I’m so sorry Daryl for all this time you’ve been waiting and not knowing, mah! In the end you copped plea!!!

11. By cardsalltheway on May 20, 2014 | Reply

Correction: a GUILTY plea

12. By Mike D on May 20, 2014 | Reply

No, it wasn’t a civil matter. It was a crime. Actually, it was a felony. He assaulted his girlfriend. It may have been reduced to a misdemeanor, but it’s still a crime. He’s a great football player, but to call him a fine young man? Seriously? As a Cardinal fan I don’t want him suspended either, but if it happens we can’t really say he didn’t deserve to be punished by the league. And he has no one to blame but himself. Frankly, it doesn’t sound like he’s taken full responsibility for his actions yet. The reality is that not only did let down his teammates, he also let down this entire community. Fitz is a fine young man and a model citizen, D Wash not so much.

13. By Colt on May 21, 2014 | Reply

scott H, you have no real idea or grasp on the whole situation, the behind the scenes background of it not reported, who Daryl Washington really is or what his deep personal feelings on this matter might be. All the lines you quoted were run of the mill answers that really have no reason to be looked into the way you are. So why you decided to post a paper on them is beyond me, play the role if the situation calls for it, otherwise you look as though your reaching and possibly personally compensating; all while unjustly crucifying a man who has kept his nose clean since the incident in where he took his daughter out for ice cream like every terrible father would do. See how easy it is for the truth to be changed and obscured? Don’t plant in peoples minds that Daryl Washington has “problems”(like we all don’t have some), if your a person who speaks freely then you have a responsibility to not impose/spew thoughts/perceptions that hold no context or basis. Ideas are the most powerful of things we mess around with as humans, their imprint effects everything we do. please in the future make sure your imprinting for the right reasons, at the right time, in the right place. If you do this ill be happy to give you my thumb direction of appreciation. Cheers. oh ya, go RED BIRDS!

14. By dylan on May 21, 2014 | Reply

Scott h- you’re acting like he murder someone yes he got in trouble but so did both of them actually she got a fine just as he did both of them were in the wrong. Yes she got physically hurt but we dont know the whole situation she could have been beating on him and he pushed her away and she fell breaking her collar bone. He has stayed out of trouble since then and I really think it was a one time thing, and btw everyone smokes weed not that big of a deal

15. By Rich on May 21, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

Clearly understand your perspective. BUT, the events leading to this have been discussed and addressed by him many times now. At present, everyone is asking him about the impending suspension. He’s just staying “in context”.

16. By Dynosoar on May 21, 2014 | Reply

Scott H,

clearly you are passionate like the rest of us and I’m with you on this one. The football side of me posted my earlier comments. The man in me says we all make mistakes, some more grievous and some more general than others and some of those mistakes are willful, some poor decision making and some a pattern of behaviour.

You’re dead on that the key is to learn from each mistake and improve and that really comes to understanding the root cause and changing the root cause, which will change behaviour more surely than just focusing on the behaviour.

And if the off-field issues cleared, it would be a lot easier as you said to focus on football, for everyone. I also see this, there are times I’ve dealt with my end of a problem and another party( or parties) have not dealt with their end and the burden of waiting their actions is wearying.

It’s quite possible Washington’s in this situation where he’s done all he can do to resolve the issue and made the necessary changes in his life and now he has to wait for Goodell to “get around to it.”

Anything, a suspension, a “we’re satisfied with the legal system’s response and will not do anything more”, a do some community work as an ambassador of the NFL to address troubled youth with your story. Anything would be better than the eternal hanging on of “what’s going to happen and when.”

Wow, that was long. But that’s ok, some comments are longer than a soundbite.

Here’s to an improved team, on and off the field.

17. By j on May 21, 2014 | Reply

mike d,
    of course it was a crime, a crime is an act or the commission of an act that is forbidden or the omission of a duty that is commanded by a public law and that makes the offender liable to punishment by that law. Crime is the general attitude, and it was a civil matter (crime), if it wasnt then he would be in jail serving 3-5.

18. By Scott H on May 21, 2014 | Reply

Colt –

I appreciate your time in responding but I have to wonder to what extent YOU also may have no real idea or grasp of the situation. Unless you know Washington personally and / or have been a direct witness to who Washington “really” is, then you are at the same distance from this whole situation as I am. So, with all due respect, what puts you in a position to tell me I have no idea what I’m saying? You may not agree with it but that doesn’t mean it has no validity.

And in response to your asserting that I am “un-justly crucifying” a man who has kept his nose clean since the incident, I have two thoughts / questions –

1) I think your use of the word “crucifying” is over-blown to the point of absolute ridiculousness. Could we be any more dramatic here? Gimme a break, man.

2) And isn’t keeping his nose clean what he is SUPPOSED to do as a member of society? Sorry, but I don’t see how we should give extra credit for that. If he HAS learned from this and is making efforts to be a better person going forward, then I DO respect that. But I really don’t want to see us reach the point – in pro sports or anywhere else – where simply following the rules should be recognized as a special accomplishment.

19. By Dr. G. on May 21, 2014 | Reply

We’ve been around this tree a number of times this off-season Cards Fans.

Much as this situation is very distasteful, to predict there may not be a fine and/or suspension is not realistic. DWash got 4 games for tokin’ up last year. This plea is more grave in its content and personal injury. ((Repeating)) Most of all, the credibility of the NFL & Comish are at stake here. They must do the right thing here for the league’s image.

Based upon the “guilty” plea “down” to help this go away, the NFL cannot turn their head from the character and conduct clauses that are certainly contained in every player contract. If the inevitable suspension is 4 games or less, DWash should celebrate. After this thing comes down, he can look to the future with a clean slate…..but, with a somewhat tainted record. If there is a next time, it will not be pretty…. The NFLPA would never argue against a suspension for him. Never! They will ask for leniency…. As for the “Civil” situation some have mentioned, yes, you are correct. And you may reject or approve anyone who would like to enter your house! e.g… the playing field and facilities.

I would like to see this thing come to an end for him….it must be dreadful for his nerves. I pray he can heed the advice of the coaches and be aware to avoid the things that can take him down…trappers included. Be well Cards Fans…

20. By Scott H on May 21, 2014 | Reply

Dynosaur –

VERY well said, bro. And I do understand / appreciate that what’s done is done and that all he can do is do better from this point even if my post may not reflect that.

And, of course, as a Cards fan, I WANT him to do better as a person so he can spend more time on the field making the Arizona Cardinals better!

21. By Dr. G. on May 21, 2014 | Reply

MikeD – Indeed, this is a civil matter at this point between the NFL and DWash. The criminal matter has been basically resolved, pending review….

22. By Dr. G. on May 21, 2014 | Reply

Dynosoar – Shannon – I usually like to read you team things. And, from a legal prospective, I have tried to clear up some things here for some of the posters, but passion and naivete can dictate mistaken writings. So, I have just posted occasionally on these things to try to help…seemingly to little avail.

Here’s an item for provocation: Your thoughts on community service again? It needs to be applied very carefully, because the majority would not want a past trouble-maker ((real or imagined)) coming into their domain, either in earnest or by order… The intent is to present the person as good, friendly, and contrite. Some recipients are not amiable to this… Be well…

23. By Deborah Dye on May 21, 2014 | Reply

My support is with you. You are an extraordinary human being and I hope you find out soon. Can’t wait to see you on the field where you belong.

Best wishes and thoughts.

24. By Deborah Dye on May 21, 2014 | Reply

I do know him personally and he is an extraordinary human being. Very kind, generous and thoughtful. We weren’t present so we can’t judge. No one but those involved knows what really happened. I am proud to call him a friend and teammate

25. By Dynosoar on May 21, 2014 | Reply

Dr. G,

I hadn’t thought of that. Even if he could do good, the perception may keep anyone from accepting his efforts, not to mention (something I thought of two minutes after my previous post) will anyone listen? I mean if he comes to troubled teens and shows how to improve, will they listen or just say, you make $$$ playing football, I’ve got nothing going for me so you can’t understand.

Some things are simple and some things are not. Thanks for a different lens to see through.

Be well

26. By clssylssy on May 21, 2014 | Reply

By now, it is what it is, D Washington has taken responsibility, is on probation so that this will all go away in a year if there are no further problems. Everyone is just awaiting Goodell’s judgement but moreover fans everywhere are awaiting to see what the Commissioner does about the Irsay mess that is SO much more serious and involves someone who should be setting an example. Most player incidents pale in comparison to the multiple charges against Jim Irsay. From all appearances, Mr. Irsay is participating n the Owner’s Meeting and voting on issues effecting the players so it would appear there is a double standard for the Owners and the help. The Cardinal Coaches and management have been on top of this as events have played out and planned for the worse case scenario. In this league one can hope for the best but should expect the worst. I look forward to seeing D. Washington join his teammates whenever that is; he is an amazing playmaker and dynamic force who I believe has learned a lot from this incident. Good luck and best wishes for a timely decision.

27. By cardsalltheway on May 21, 2014 | Reply

“Civil”

What is this nonsense “civil” talk Dr. G and j?

Dr G
    “MikeD – Indeed, this is a civil matter”

j
    “Crime is the general attitude, and it was a civil matter (crime)”

Mike D,
    Has got it correct…
    “No, it wasn’t a civil matter. It was a crime.”

Felonies are not “civil” matters, they’re criminal matters. Jeesh:(

If/When Daryl’s GF/Mother of his child sues him in court…THEN it’s a civil matter. Jeesh:(

It was a DOMESTIC matter. These type of situations are common and usually difficult for the police to handle but to think the girlfriend(mother of Daryl’s child) ever had an equal stance in the eyes of the court you must be tokin the smokin.

clssylssy,
    “By now, it is what it is, D Washington has taken responsibility, is on probation so that this will all go away in a year if there are no further problems.”

Not so fast fella, when it’s ALL over is when you can say Daryl has “taken responsibility.”

28. By red c monster on May 22, 2014 | Reply

we are some passionate fans lol

BIRDGANG ALL DAY!!

29. By Dr. G. on May 22, 2014 | Reply

cardsalltheway – You are not accepting the “fact” that the contract and actions between the NFL office and DWash falls under civil matters ((not criminal)). The contract will in all likelihood have an agreement to arbitrate if disputed. I think semantics plays a part here for you.

These are 2 differing things. Criminal and civil –

Crimes are prosecuted and defended in a public court of law and proper jurisdiction. The accused will be arraigned of the criminal offense.

Civil actions are heard as actions between private parties. The plaintiff must prove injury to win a case. No one goes to jail.

In this case, the plea admission takes care of the public criminal issue.

One of the civil matters would be between the x-wife and DWash. She will probably win the lottery if not already.

The other civil matter is between the NFL and him. He can file a suit, but to no avail based upon his agreement. The contract would have to be proven invalid. Not happening. These contracts are worded carefully and modified as needed.

This will be my last commentary on this… You may review legal matters on the net for expanded information…. Be well

30. By br on May 25, 2014 | Reply

My guess would be 6-8games suspended, Dwash appeals and they knock off 1, maybe 2 games (but unlikely…i think 1 game reduction is the max nfl will live with) so in the end he sits 5-7 games, in my humble opinion!
    As far as all this other BS…I will make it short and to the point:
    For everyone saying ” oh we dont know the whole story and what she did blah, blah, blah!!!

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT SHE SAID OR DID THAT NIGHT! SHORT OF COMING AT HIM WITH A KNIFE OR A GUN, YOU NEVER PUTS YOUR HANDS ON A WOMAN, PERIOD END OF STORY…HANDS OFF!!
    Ponder this guys…what if the woman with broken bones bruises, nosebleeding, blackeyes, bite marks, was your Daughter, Wife, Sister, or your Mother??? Bet your opinions/solutions would change dramatically (I can promise you your opinions posted above excusing his behavior or making excuses for his behavior would not be the same, ive been there, and if it a woman/girl you love that is family…you would be out for blood!!! Been there done that!

2. May 30, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Ramifications of Washington’s suspension