Remembering Tillman, others on Memorial Day

Posted by Darren Urban on May 26, 2014 – 10:21 am

Memorial Day will forever be linked with the Cardinals because of Pat Tillman. There are fewer higher-profile losses of life in the military than Tillman. Today is about all the thousands that have lost their life serving this country, regardless of how it happened. (I did not know, admittedly, that Memorial Day began originally to honor those who were killed during the Civil War.) Those who choose to join the military in any realm deserve our praise, and to make the ultimate sacrifice deserves our attention and everlasting thanks.

Still, this being a Cardinals site, Tillman is at the forefront. Former Cardinals wide receiver Rob Moore — now the receivers coach for the Buffalo Bills — tells of his relationship with Tillman to the Bills website. It’s a good read.

I also got a chance to catch up with Jake Plummer recently — there will be a story posted on the homepage later today — and asked him about Tillman, his longtime teammate with both the Cardinals and at Arizona State.

“It was awesome to be a teammate with Pat, from ASU through the Cardinal days,” Plummer said. “He brought a lot of passion to everything. Not just playing but the locker room, the training room, and to your friendship. He was all about passion and living life and challenging yourself. He was a lot like myself. I never went half-assed out there because I wasn’t good enough to be lackadaisical. I had to go 100 percent, whether it was practice, conditioning, whatever. Pat was like that too and it was fun to be with a guy the same kind of make and mold, effort-wise, with tenacity and courage.

“I’m sad he’s gone, just because I wanted to see what he had planned next. The guy was constantly moving forward.”

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Remembering Tillman, others on Memorial Day”

1. By Kurt on May 26, 2014 | Reply

Pat Tillman lives on in the true spirit of the United States

2. By Roland on May 26, 2014 | Reply

Rob Moore , you are one lucky man to have spent such quality time with an American hero . I will never forget just standing next to pat at a flagstaff camp he was signing autographs.The great thing about dying a hero is your legacy lives forever.

3. By AzDesertRat1953 on May 26, 2014 | Reply

Hand, Salute.

From one who made it Home. We Miss You.

[Army 70-73]

GO CARDS!!!

4. By Infitzwetrust on May 26, 2014 | Reply

There is no better feeling than being a cardinals fan this time of year!

The legacy will never die.

5. By br on May 26, 2014 | Reply

Would like to send a heartfelt thank you out to you for taking the time to post the true meaning of Memorial day!!
    Today for most people is a day off from work, firing up the gril for some bakyard bbq, having a few beers with family and friends (in all fairness that is exactly what i used to do prior to 9/11, even though I was active duty Marine Corps at the time I celebrated Memorial day for 17yrs by having a party with the 3 “B’s” Beer, BBQ, and Bit$%& you can guess the last one, thats what young Jarheads love to do…and there isnt a thing wrong with it) even though I had been in Combat prior to 9/11 4 different smaller conflicts I just couldnt get the true meaning of Memorial day thru my fat head! I have lost 4 Marines on
    5 seperate tours since 9/11 ( 3 in Iraq/2 in Afghanistan) sadly it took my time in the Marine Corps after 9/11, and the combat tours and the tragic loss of life for me to understand the true importance of Memorial day, although it is a solemn and sacred day in my heart, the bbq and family and friends gathering (gave up the beer 16 yrs ago) goes on as a way to honor all our fallen hero’s and celebrate their
    Lives! So once again Darren THANK YOU for taking the time to remind
    us all of the true meaning of Memorial day!
    As Cardinal fans we can never forget the true meaning of Memorial day, Pat Tillmans sacrifice for his country will always be a solemn reminder for all Cardinal fans, and even true fans of the NFL for that ma
    lives!! So THANK YOU once again Darren! As Caalwaties to Pat Tillman!

RIP – PT
    as well a personal RIP – Maj JA, Capt RB, SSgt KW-B, Cpl BK..I’m still kicking guys, Phrogs forever!….not a day goes by without a thought/memory! “DA GUNNY”

6. By Scott H on May 27, 2014 | Reply

Still so hard not to feel so sad AND yet so proud at the same time in regard to Tillman. Such a warrior both on and off the field. Something about him playing for the Cardinals just seemed so….right, ya know? And his dedication to the team – before he followed his heart to join another “team” – was something ya just had to love. When you look at guys like Simeon Rice, who just wanted to get the hell out of here so he could have success somewhere else, it makes you appreciate guys like Tillman, Aeneas Williams, and Adrian Wilson even more. Guys who had a real sense of pride about playing for this team and wanting to have success HERE….when you realize what they truly sacrificed to stay here when they could have gone anywhere else, you realize that THAT was what character is REALLY all about.

Recently, I pulled out the NFL Films season highlight video from the Cards 1998 season and it was SOOOO much fun to re-visit that crazy season! Man, what a ride that was! Jake Plummer…Larry Centers….Rob Moore….Frank Sanders…Adrian Murrell….Jamir Miller….Robert McKinnon….Vince Tobin….Aeneas in his prime….that UN-BELIEVABLE last second win against the Chargers in the last week to make the playoffs….Kwame Lassiter’s 4 INT’s that day….Chris Jacke hitting from 53 yards as time expired to bring it home….the fans storming the field and tearing down the goal post….and, of course, the win in Dallas. I swear, the adrenaline starts flowing just watching those highlights. It’s flowin’ right now!

Darren – thanks for the story on Jake Plummer that is up right now. Man, talk about a guy who just disappeared after he stopped playing….he really was a different kind of dude. I think WAAAY too much hype got built up around him after that ’98 season and I agree with him in his opinion that the organization made some lousy personnel decisions after that season that shot it all down. Wow, he’s 39 now….geez, he might even still be playing if he hadn’t burned out.

7. By Scott H on May 28, 2014 | Reply

Seriously, folks????? A blog honoring Pat Tillman on Memorial Day and there has been 6 responses??? How sad is that? Did people even bother to read the damn thing??? Absolutely pathetic. Way to honor our vets AND a player who I thought mattered to Cardinals fans a lot more than this.

I really hope the Tillman family is not seeing this because this is just plain SAD.

8. By Paul Edens on May 29, 2014 | Reply

I thought that was a very nice tribute audio to Pat. I am a Seahawks fan but very well respect the Cards for their fallen Team mate. My Son returned from Afghanistan with receiving ARCOM with V Device for saving a fellow soldier that had a live RPG embedded in him.
    You Card Fans take pride in Pat and We (Hawks) will see you in the fall.